This Week's Nintendo Downloads

Final Fantasy, Smash Table Tennis, Puzzle League...

This week sees the 300th game being released on Virtual Console as the Hanabi Festival continues. Meanwhile Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life As A Dark Lord is released on WiiWare and A Little Bit Of Puzzle League hits DSiWare.

This week's Hanabi Festival games are Smash Table Tennis and Musha. Smash Table Tennis (600 Points) was released in 1987 for the NES. It was originally released by Konami as Smash Ping Pong in the arcades in 1985 but when Nintendo published the NES version they gave it a different name and put Donkey Kong Jr in the crowd. The press release says that you can play the full range of shots including a smash, forehand, backhand and lob as you attempt to beat your opponent in a best of three match. We'd like to know how you lob someone in table tennis.

Musha
Musha
Next up is Musha (900 Points), a Sega Mega Drive vertical shoot 'em up that was released in the US and Japan in 1990. Playing as Terri, a girl who pilots a M.U.S.H.A. (Metallic Uniframe Super Hybrid Armour), your goal is to eliminate Dire 51, an Intellicomputer that has gone out of control and is planning an attack upon humanity. You'll have special weapons like the Vanishing Buster, Blazing Beam and Defensive Detonator at your disposal as you fly through seven levels.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life As A Dark Lord (1,000 points) is this week's sole WiiWare release. The sequel to My Life As A King is another strategy game but this time you'll be playing as an evil daughter of a Dark Lord who installs traps and uses monsters to defend her tower against waves of invading adventurers.

Finally there's A Little Bit Of Puzzle League (500 Points) for DSi. It's a block puzzler which has you connecting blocks of the same colour to clear them from the screen in order to prevent your stack from becoming too high. There are four single player modes to choose from: Endless (survive to earn a top score), Clear (eliminate all blocks above the line), Score Attack (score as high as possible in two minutes), and Vs. COM (use items and combos to attack a computer opponent).

Smash Table Tennis, Musha, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life As A Dark Lord and A Little Bit Of Puzzle League will all be available from tomorrow.

Comments

1. HNF1 Thursday 16th Jul 2009 at 09:54

lmao, how do you lob someone in Table Tennis? They put the bat up to the net and you aim for the back of the table? Anyway 300 games already is impressive seeing as the DSi was released in April. Quite a few gooden's on there too now thankfully so here's waiting for moving memo now!

2. AMthedude Thursday 16th Jul 2009 at 10:02

Gah! I'm beginning to get sick of this! When are Mario vs DK and Mighty Flip Champs coming to DSiWare?!? The USA's had them for weeks now and I'm really looking forward to them! Get your act together, Nintendo!

3. Adam_Lloyd Thursday 16th Jul 2009 at 10:32

Once again, Amthedude, I think your avatar suites the topic of dsiware rather nicely. On other fronts, though, I would say this is quite a good week. My life as a darklord is an instant download for me.

4. cjayp33 Thursday 16th Jul 2009 at 10:59

where is monkey island? the makers have said it will be summer not Autumn as you guys said in the magazine. other then that, this looks like a good week.

5. Violet Thursday 16th Jul 2009 at 11:32

I see Kirby's being saved for last.

It's sad that most people will probably dismiss Musha as yet another shoot-'em-up despite the fact that it looks to be a little more than the average, especially for a Mega Drive game. With such an over-abundance of these games on the VC, I think you guys in the magazine should do a special on them, covering the history and pointing out the ones that are actually decent and innovative among the genre.

And a lob is probably just a high shot that bounces high and thus makes the opponent mistime their return. At least that'd be my guess.

6. peter337 Thursday 16th Jul 2009 at 11:49

Pah, the overlord in My Life as a Darklord really put me off that game. So annoying :?.

And still no Cave Story... *sadface*.

7. JohnWilliam Thursday 16th Jul 2009 at 12:13

Still no good games on DSi Ware...

8. Ubahquiet Thursday 16th Jul 2009 at 12:34

Two FF games that I want, both have DLC, and I have no money. Great.

9. funmaker11 Thursday 16th Jul 2009 at 12:43

More A Little Bit Ofs on DSiWare? :?
    Come on, run out quickly of A Little Bit Ofs for more interesting games. :shock:

10. VaatiKaiba Thursday 16th Jul 2009 at 12:47

Still no good games on DSi Ware...

That's kinda unfair - look at nearly all the Art Style games (apart from Nemrem). I also think that Brain Training is good, Dr Mario... there are loads of good ones, and loads more coming!

11. Oiram 07 Thursday 16th Jul 2009 at 13:27

Still waiting for that DSi Virtual Console... ;)

12. The Arbiter Thursday 16th Jul 2009 at 15:50

I have Pokemon Puzzle League on Game Boy Color, and I imagine the DSi version will be pretty similar. Not bad, but I wish Ninty would get on and release the much awaited Flipnote Studio, or announce a VC.

13. slangman Thursday 16th Jul 2009 at 16:37

This is a great update. I own MUSHA on my US Wii. It is a fantastic shooter.

14. FriarLawrenceIII Thursday 16th Jul 2009 at 17:16

Still no good games on DSi Ware...

Sure they are good... if puzzle games are your thing. For pretty much everyone else DSiware has been such a dissapointment so far.

On wiiware: If Monkey island isn't released next week, nintendo have lost themselves 50 worth of wii points. I'm usually patient, but when the first episode is released after the second is on PC, then i think it's time to move on. What's the hold up nintendo? The games finished and rated!

15. Tib-Z Thursday 16th Jul 2009 at 20:33

Omg onm lied, you said that Mario vs Donkey Kong 3 would be released before the 5th of July in your last issue, tut tut. Nintendo, stop releasing all this "little bit of crap" and just give us our Mario vs Donkey Kong, please!? lol

16. Gavin Rozee Friday 17th Jul 2009 at 01:13

I would have bought Puzzle League if I didn't already own the "A big bit of Puzzle League" retail version on cart. It'd just be a waste of money buying a cut down version of a game I already have, that has more modes, (Puzzle mode, three different Time Attack modes, Daily Play, Garbage Challenge, loads of Missions, etc are missing from the DSiWare version), local wireless and online with voice chat, amongst other things.

If you don't have the retail version though, then I recommend it. Well worth 500 points.

17. AMthedude Friday 17th Jul 2009 at 08:46

Woah! Steady on there, mate! They did say "The exact date was unconfirmed as we went to press, unfortunately" so there was obviously some change of plan which is hardly ONM's fault! They can only tell us what they're told themselves!

18. Zeni Geva Friday 17th Jul 2009 at 09:42

I certainly wouldn't buy a 'Little bit of Puzzle League', buy the full game because its fantastic as puzzlers go. With the prices of DSi Ware being so extortionate (its almost 1 for 100 points) you will get much better value for money if you buy the full retail release.

I may try out Musha as I love my 2d shooters, but as has been said, there are so many games in this genre on VC that it would be nice to have a comprehensive breakdown of them all.

19. wombat samurai Friday 17th Jul 2009 at 15:02

I think I'm going to avoid MUSHA; for some reason import Mega Drive games do not retain their superior NTSC qualities, so the game is 17% slower and squashed by those detestable black borders; seeing as there are so many other shooters that don't suffer from this MUSHA falls down my list quite dramatically.

20. tomutwit Friday 17th Jul 2009 at 15:50

when he said 300 he meant vc notdsiware

moron.

21. Salamence19 Sunday 19th Jul 2009 at 10:13

But, then again, in thearticle on this website, it does say "ready for download this month", and it was posted in june. :(

22. jakeyboy01 Sunday 19th Jul 2009 at 20:38

Just so I get this straight, when you say vertical shooter, is that like the main series Touhou games? Surely someone has played them and will know.

I'm strangely eager for Darklord. As a rule I don't like Final Fantasy, and I'm terrible at (though enjoy) strategy games, but something about the game caught my eye. Probably the awesome artwork that was on last issue's inside cover, and the prospect of being the bad guy. I like that in a game. Will most likely buy this as my first WiiWare title.