Metroid Prime Still Has A Future

Corruption may not be the end says Nintendo man

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption may not be the last game in the Prime series. With Other M on the way next year, some might have thought that the Prime series had come to an end but, as Nintendo's Kensuke Tanabe told ONM, the series may still have a future.

Asked whether Samus will ever return to DS, Tanabe (who oversaw Retro Studios' series for Nintendo) said "We are always planning to make new games in the Metroid Prime series. Depending on the timing and the situation, we cannot deny the possibility of realising it on DS or DSi."

Kensuke Tanabe discusses the making of Metroid Prime Trilogy in issue 50 of Official Nintendo Magazine which is on sale from Friday 20 November.

Would you like to play a new Metroid Prime game? If so, would you prefer to play it on Wii or DS?

Click here to read our review of Metroid Prime Trilogy.

Comments

1. hardcoregamerrob Tuesday 17th Nov 2009 at 11:13

FOR CRYING OUT LOUD.

i love the metroid prime series but why can't they just leave it now. i love dark samus (metroid prime)
    but get a new villian bring mother brain back i say imagine playing against her in a first person shooter it be so cool.
    i would love to get a new first person shooter for metroid but just call it a new title the series was good don't ruin it I say.

also CAN'T WAIT FOR OTHER M :D

2. shadow puppet09 Tuesday 17th Nov 2009 at 11:35

well i hope they realise it on the wii wiv an online multiplayer now that would be really good. they could also do a dsi ds version that links up to the wii version.

I agree about bringing in a new lead villian though but dark samus is dead for sure. Maybe they could bring some new hunter's or a new evil organisation????

3. KMcD Tuesday 17th Nov 2009 at 11:36

I'd love to see another Metroid Prime on the DS, perhaps taking advantage of additional memory in DSi.

4. DragonOnSteroids Tuesday 17th Nov 2009 at 11:37

I get the feeling that they might be taking this series too far.

Look what happened to Mario Party...

I don't think Metroid Prime is one of those games that can keep delivering.

End it on a high.

5. yubel Tuesday 17th Nov 2009 at 11:49

They cant possible continue the prime series.
    Id like to try samus going side scrollin on the ds to be honest.

I do prefer metroid plsying out on wii and alfter the disapointment brought on my hunters im not sure if it would be a good idea for samjus to venture out in 3d, 1st person shooting on ds, id like their next move to be a scrolling shooter.

6. darrenkincaid Tuesday 17th Nov 2009 at 13:22

No more prime's thank you. Dark samus is cool and all, but the whole dark samus and phazon thing has been done to death. In fact i think the actual metroids have been done to death. Completely new bad guys, no pirtaes, no metroids, no phazon, that's what i want.

A side scrolling metroid game on wii, not wii ware as file will be too big, but a big f off huge side scroller like super metroid on wii, i want fps metroid as well, and i'm also very much looking forward to other m, for being a completely different take on a 3d metroid, 3rd person, 1st person and side scrolling bits, hopefully there won't be TOO much ninja gaiden style ridiculousness in there.

As for the ds, I'd like another fps metroid on ds, because i'm playing hunters at the mo, and i'm really enjoying it, so impressed by how much the art and atmosphere feels like MP1, really impressed. But i would also love a side scroller on ds, because i never got to play the gba one's unfortunatly, and seeing as it doesn't look like there's going to be any DSi VC anytime soon, i might just have to buy a gba for those.

I personally hope that there's no more mp's, because the story line needs to move on into more epic directions. I'd also like to see retro work on something else, as MP3 was my least favourite, i think it just went too much into a populist direction, that felt a bit crappy, because it wasn't as good as a halo style game, yet still went in that direction.

I've love a Metroid hunters on the wii, online, that would be SICK.
    Also i think the next games to come out on ds, should be DSi only games, to make use of extra horsepower (it's like nearly double isn't it?) and the extra memory. You could do some excellent stuff with that.

What do you guys think of my suggestions/ideas/opinions? Excuse the rambling style.

7. NEO.BAHAMUT Tuesday 17th Nov 2009 at 13:51

They cant possible continue the prime series.
    Id like to try samus going side scrollin on the ds to be honest.

I agree, if there was to be another DS Metroid game, I would prefer Samus to go back to her 2D shooter roots, rather than another FPS like Metroid Prime: Hunters.

8. Ai64 Tuesday 17th Nov 2009 at 14:15

With dark samus defeated once and for all, i'm still thinking at the 100% ending of corruption (Sylux's ship?). I perfer the 4th prime game for wii.

9. capmanchris Tuesday 17th Nov 2009 at 14:49

How about a metroid game where you'd get to make your own hunter with samus as another character. Multi player would also be very welcome.

10. Lanky031 Tuesday 17th Nov 2009 at 15:59

I likes Hunters,but would rather have a side-scroller on ds please.
    Do Metroid:OtherM(so excited!!),then follow it up with a sidescroller on ds,a few months later.

11. Shadowphantom Tuesday 17th Nov 2009 at 16:00

They can't possibly continue the prime series.
    Id like to see samus going side scrolling on the ds to be honest.

I do prefer metroid playing out on Wii and after the disapointment brought on my hunters im not sure if it would be a good idea for samus to venture out in 3d, 1st person shooting on ds, id like their next move to be a scrolling shooter.

Yubel, you said Hunters was really good, it was also the first Metroid game you ever played. Then you bought Metroid prime Trilogy. Stop bloody changing your mind.

12. laguz Tuesday 17th Nov 2009 at 16:07

i wouldn't mind another gaame in the series, preferrably on wii.

13. Jedi Metroid Tuesday 17th Nov 2009 at 17:17

I'd only really like a game that shows the game from another perspective, maybe Dark Samus? Playing as her in your fight for power would be interesting.

Apart from that, any other games might just be milking the series. Seriously, Metrois isn't just about Prime.

14. Erdogan44 Tuesday 17th Nov 2009 at 17:37

Wii please.

15. Nova Ridley Tuesday 17th Nov 2009 at 18:28

I was pretty sure that they'd left prime 3 open for a sequel, i've looked at the ship that people think is sylux's I doubt it. Why would they bring sylux back and not kanden? Anyway, I wouldn't mind a new prime game, but different to the previous ones, how about one that plays like Battlefront and you play as a GF trooper?

16. Touchfire Tuesday 17th Nov 2009 at 18:51

I thought that Prime 3 on the wii would be nintendo's answer to halo 3 but it was devoid of any multiplayer modes. It is more of a single player game due to the story but I think that the controls would have translated well to an online shooter. with the conduit the wii was offered an online shooter alternative to a call of duty game on the xbox or ps3. The way I see it metroid would be ten times better online. Corruption was good But I personally would have prefered an online metroid game (Like Hunters but on wii)). Like the conduit except good.

17. Gobster Tuesday 17th Nov 2009 at 19:07

I think Retro Studio's should carry on working on Metroid projects, they've done a fantastic job with the Prime series. That said, to continue the Prime series itself would be overkill, it's a Trilogy which already has a sort of 'side story' in the shape of Hunters. They should continue to use the game mechanics and everything else that made the Prime trilogy great, but take the story somewhere completely different.
    As for what console, I think the FPA side of Metroid should stick to home consoles rather than the DS. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Hunters, but to me it seemed more like a showcase of what the DS could do than a full-on Metroid game. I think the DS would be far more suited to side scrolling Metroid, perhaps a continuation of things after Metroid Fusion. As long as it's traditional Metroid gameplay with plenty to do, it couldn't really go wrong.
    Online play should definatley have a future in Metroid too, but I'd love to see it on Wii next time round.

18. ILoveWii Tuesday 17th Nov 2009 at 19:16

They don't need to continue working on the Prime series.

The next game after Other M should be a 2D sidescroller on DS.

19. Toonix Tuesday 17th Nov 2009 at 19:27

On Wii, but release a DS version.
    Metroid Prime is amazing.

20. MetroidMarioMan Tuesday 17th Nov 2009 at 20:10

It seems most of you guys don't want a 4th Prime game, thinking it will be overkill and milking the series. But if you sit back and think about it...

It could be brilliant. Hopefully aspects like Offline AND Online Multiplayer would be a big feature, also perhaps a Co-operative story mode. The story could continue from the 100% ending of Prime 3, with the new enemy actually being inside that ship. Perhaps a bounty hunter who wasnt in Hunters but is very powerful. :D

Not only that but there could be a load of bounty hunters and more types of enemies to fight, and it could be like Hunters where there could be multiple powerful enemies/ bounty hunters on the planet you are on, but not just in specific rooms, they could be around the next corner or stalking you, so they act more lifelike. Another thing that could be included is actual fighting in spaceships! Think how good that would be, you could fly around wherever you wanted in Samus' ship and shoot, manouvere and land whenever you wanted! :D

Samus could meet someone on her journey, who has different abilities and so on, but could be the person that the second player would use in co-op story mode.

And Wii speak could be used! That way Samus doesn't actually gain a proper voice, which some think would be bad, and you could also talk over the internet when playing online! Heck, there could even be a Co-op mode online!

Wii motionplus could see you grappling enemies, actually having one-to-one fights and lots more cool interaction!

Well if all that is included, then I will CERTAINLY be buying Metroid Prime 4 if it is ever made! :D
    But stuff like these should be considered for any Metroid game anyway I reckon..

I even have thought of a way in which Dark Samus, or Phazon at least, could return...
    What if, before Phaaze was destroyed, another or maybe a few more Leviathans were released WITHOUT the GF knowing?? It coud have affected a planet or two, and create new enemies from completely new species and maybe.. just maybe.. the re-re-rebirth of Dark Samus, or maybe even a Dark version of someone else...
    I know this will probably just be milking the series and stuff, but I love the Dark Samus battles :D

Well, that's enough ideas for one day :lol:

21. ibarnaby64 Tuesday 17th Nov 2009 at 20:57

Metroid is a series I think Nintendo should always innovate/adapt; they did it with Prime and they're doing it with Other M. Having said that, I think they should always have at least one 2D Metroid title per generation. I love the Prime trilogy to bits, but a trilogy is what it should remain. After all, it is a spin-off series.

22. Cidiyance Tuesday 17th Nov 2009 at 21:11

I WANT METROID PRIME HUNTERS 2!!!
    More hunters, more weapons, Samus and Sylux, more players (Preferbly 6) and better online network! for Wii!!! That game was like the best game on DS!!!

23. neomole Tuesday 17th Nov 2009 at 23:14

I would like to see a 1st person remake of the orignal metroid, and with this an online multiplayer. I think they should do this as a test to find out what works and what doesn't and then release a sequal to corruption.

24. danseshi Tuesday 17th Nov 2009 at 23:32

First off the story should pick up where it left off with that alien ship at the end Slilux, or whatever his name is from Hunters. No Phazon, dark samus. New enemies, new universe. Make it more like prime 1. You could be chasing Slilux, through this new universe travailing to planets looking for clues. She soon realizes there is something much bigger going on. Trying to alter history or something. Loads off new Pickups. A pistol and parts of the game where you are zero suit samus.
    Platform: Wii.

25. Gobster Wednesday 18th Nov 2009 at 00:51

I wouldn't mind so much if they continued from the ending for Metroid Prime 3, but I think Dark Samus and Phazon need to be left out of the picture. And it would be silly to call it Metroid Prime 4, maybe it would be a good opportunity to use the Metroid Dread title that got scrapped.

26. emperor ing Wednesday 18th Nov 2009 at 07:54

Love to see the story carry on from the end of Prime 3, but not on DS. Hunters was rather limited by the hardware, and could have been so much more on the Wii.

However, I'd prefer to see a return to the true 2D side of the series, perhaps a sequel to Fusion may work in that case?

27. born from phazon Wednesday 18th Nov 2009 at 16:29

I WOULD LOVE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!
    but people what about orange phazon???? maybe theres a 2nd phazze!!! (an orange one)

28. DS2008 Wednesday 18th Nov 2009 at 18:30

If it ever comes out, Im buying it. I was late to the Metroid scene, as I bought Metroid Prime Trilogy as my first game in the series. I recently finished them last Sunday, and it was the greatest game Ive ever played. It even tops Kirby Super Star Ultra.

29. lkiam Thursday 19th Nov 2009 at 20:37

I hope they do release a new Metroid Prime. The 100% bonus ending on Prime 3 left it open to a sequel. I'd prefer it on Wii though.

30. beanhed08 Friday 20th Nov 2009 at 23:55

Iv almost finished corruption now on the trilogy and i think the that if they are going to make another game they should keep it where it belongs on the wii so u can play it on a big screen and see it in all its glory.

31. JamieRIOT Saturday 21st Nov 2009 at 00:27

Another Prime title on Wii please! Nuff said

32. laminin Saturday 21st Nov 2009 at 10:45

i agree with touchfire online play is the way forward. metroid would be an amazing online game with tons of possibilities using the morph ball etc for a unique experience untouched by any other game. but then any fps metroid on wii would make me a happy chap as long as its not sloppy of course.

33. tomster690 Sunday 12th Sep 2010 at 08:13