Miyamoto Responds To Rival Motion Controllers

'I don't know if it's good for the business' Nintendo legend tells ONM

Nintendo legend Shigeru Miyamoto has told ONM that the games industry could lose its 'uniqueness' when Microsoft and Sony launch their own motion controllers.

When asked if Wii had now lost its unique selling point, Miyamoto replied: "Well, I should say that it could be taken as a compliment if others are following suit, by saying Nintendo was right in choosing a certain direction. But if you ask me if that is going to be good for the entire business, I really don't know."

"If everyone else is going to do exactly the same thing, unfortunately in this entertainment business that means less uniqueness, and uniqueness is what Nintendo has tried to realise."

However, Miyamoto was keen to stress that the emergence of rival motion controllers isn't something for Nintendo or its fans to worry about. "We don't look to the future in one direction only," he said. "When you say that one element of our uniqueness might have been lost, you don't really have to be concerned about that, because Nintendo always tries to find something new. I hope you are looking forward to our challenge to discover this new uniqueness!"

So it looks as if Nintendo is still aiming to stand out from the crowd with its next console? What do you think Nintendo's next console should do?

You can read our full interview with Shigeru Miyamoto in issue 50 of Official Nintendo Magazine which is on sale now. Click here to buy it!

Comments

1. Athrun888 Monday 23rd Nov 2009 at 12:51

Well you know what they say, competition breeds better games for us, though he does have a very valid point about too many things being to similar damaging the industry, precisely why I avoid all the AAA titles except for Nintendos, because nintendo are the only ones who do something unique (with the occasional exception of course).

2. Oxo64 Monday 23rd Nov 2009 at 13:00

Nintendo's ability to create somthing new and different is what keeps the fans coming back. Nintendo has got nothing to fear, especially if the "competition" can't do their own thing to move the gaming world forward.

3. Nuclear GX Monday 23rd Nov 2009 at 13:41

I'm really annoyed with all the copy-cat systems because 10 years ago every system was compleatly different to the others.

Then last generation there was very few differences between them and as a result it was quite boring the Wii brought uniqueness back and reenvigored the industry I'd be very dissapointed if that dissapeared and I'm especally dissapointed with all the internet puppets who want it to happen.

Then again even when they have motion controllers the 360 and PS3 are the same just with diffent contollers and they just don't have the exclusives to compete with the Wii and PC (as PC versions of games are normally better) so I think once their sales flop they'll ditch them immeadiatly

4. LuX Monday 23rd Nov 2009 at 14:38

Basically what the other companies are doing is jumping on the money train. They've seen that the Wii sells, and have thought "well why don't we get a slice of the motion control pie?".

Its pathetic, they should come up with something original that can steal the market back from Nintendo (not that i want them too its just if Nintendo stay at the top with no competition im worried they'll stop looking for that unique quality).

There is absolutely no point in having 3 consoles that do the same thing its pointless.

5. neongiratina Monday 23rd Nov 2009 at 14:53

They'll do a Natal, but better

6. mewthree Monday 23rd Nov 2009 at 15:41

Allows me to laugh at all the students at school who mocked the Wii's motion controllers back in the day. Now they're infallible, almighty consoles are following suit.

7. Mr mario fan Monday 23rd Nov 2009 at 16:00

i remembered when my friends ridiculed me for staying with nintendo when the wii was released. now sony and microsoft are copyin it. but i doubt that families will want to pay another 100 - 200 for a motion control console if they already have the wii. Lets just keep buying the games and keeping nintendo at top!

8. Gamer Xtreme Monday 23rd Nov 2009 at 16:31

Nintendo died a long time ago...

9. nintendood Monday 23rd Nov 2009 at 17:12

I'm sorry, but Natal isn't copying nintendo, becuause it allows you to play games without a controller, therefore if anything it's an evolution on sony's eyetoy.

And sony...well they kinda are following Nintendo's lead with their wand thingy, but I think it will be interesting to see what they can achieve with it.

You never know, maybe Nintendo could benefit from some of the improvements other companies come up with.

10. capmanchris Monday 23rd Nov 2009 at 18:18

either way nintendo's handheld market is nearly untouchable, all my friends who are strong supporters of sony and microsoft are getting lites for christmas, even if nintendo's next gen console fails against the competition the ds will keep nintendos gaming heart strong and beating.

11. Locarii Monday 23rd Nov 2009 at 19:58

I am, to be honest, very pleased about this. People hardly ever see it like this, but when you think about it, since the Wii, Nintendo has just been cruising along, happy with being the best console, and being the most innovative. But, now, with a ton more competition, they are going to have to step up their game, and by a lot, to prove they are still the best, and most innovative company. So, what they will come up with in response to this is very intriguing.

12. TheStreetie Monday 23rd Nov 2009 at 20:28

but i am admittidly getting tired of the different reditions of DS ..

Im craving something new :)

13. User49 Monday 23rd Nov 2009 at 20:56

All grand points and i hope he's right. but if microsoft and sony have the graphical advantage, as well as a wider target audience through creating more mature games and appealing more to the hardcore market, i'm curious as to who'll come out on top...

14. Toadsanime Monday 23rd Nov 2009 at 21:01

Yes, I found this amusing, too. :lol:

15. TheVelvetRoom Monday 23rd Nov 2009 at 22:16

You know they're gonna keep dismissing Natal until they release Halo: Natal.

While there are large similarities between the 3 know, it will be interesting to see who shows the more exciting games. From what I've seen of each, Sony appear to recognise the potential very well (Eyepet could just be the beginning with the PSEye), Natal may generally be a next-gen Wii copy (painting and movement minigames along with games with tacked on motion (though Milo has potential)), and MotionPlus, well I'm a bit disappointed that Nintendo appear to have not much MotionPlus games in the line-up, which is a shame since I really don't want to see this go the way of other Wii peripherals and add-ons.

So this may be an interesting next few years after all.

16. crazyturtle1234 Monday 23rd Nov 2009 at 22:56

Other consoles:

valkyria chronicles
    littlebigplanet
    Dead Space
    Borderlands
    and more

Nintendo consoles:
    ...
    Ya know, I can't actually remember the last time nintendo made a non sequel, non spinoff triple A title.

Oh dear. Oh dear oh dear. We seem to have dug ourselves into a hole here, haven't we? :roll:

17. crazyturtle1234 Monday 23rd Nov 2009 at 22:58

Other consoles:

valkyria chronicles
    littlebigplanet
    Dead Space
    Borderlands
    and more

Nintendo consoles:
    ...

18. IPecksU Monday 23rd Nov 2009 at 23:19

if only they all teamed up...then we could have Mario, master chief and sack boy at the olympic games :)

19. MartinH1 Monday 23rd Nov 2009 at 23:28

You know they're gonna keep dismissing Natal until they release Halo: Natal.

Halo Reach has been confirmed as the last Halo title ;)

I believe that Nintendo is now falling behind with its console

And don't call me a ps3 fanboy: I have all the Nintendo consoles and am a subscriber to this magazine ;)

The Wii has nowhere to go: with no real online support online gamers tend to play on other consoles.

Due to this Nintendo can't reaally update thier console as much as other consoles, as games cannot update after they are purchased, decreasing their lifetime.

It also doesn't have enough processing power to cope with newer gaming technologies, so the wii loses on the grahics front too.

And now with motion controls available on other consoles, the wii is finally defeated

This leaves the xbox360 and ps3, the first of which will soon have to be upgraded to cope with graphical advances (see ps3 games such as Killzone 2 and Uncharted 2)
    I'll admit though, Natal will be good, but costing 120 isnt going to help sales.

And the killing blow will come with the ps3 4.0 or 5.0 update, which allows games on normal tv's to be played in 3d, without the use of red and blue glasses, using sunglas like things to change the picture

These are to be relatively cheap (20), and so I can conclude that the ps3 has the longest lifetime

Though I love my wii, it just wont last much longer in this gaming climate, and I am sorry to say that

And lets not get started on game quality........

We can see that the only really good developers are Nintendo for the Wii, which have brilliant stories (zelda series is still my fav of all time), yet Nintendo cannot constantly rely on themselves for their games

Other developers are causing the wii to fail aswell (though you can hardly call the wii failling yet :D)

20. Kirby8 Tuesday 24th Nov 2009 at 00:16

Same. One of my friends recently mocked me about Nintendogs, saying that while he's playing the new COD, i'll be playing that and I said "Actually no. One, i'll be revising for our exams, so I don't fail, and two, that's rich coming from you, the copycat console. Eyepet ring any bells?" Then I laughed and walked away.

21. Kirby8 Tuesday 24th Nov 2009 at 00:27

You know they're gonna keep dismissing Natal until they release Halo: Natal.

Halo Reach has been confirmed as the last Halo title ;)

I believe that Nintendo is now falling behind with its console

And lets not get started on game quality........

That are all things to consider when making their new console. Remember, most of the consoles seem to last 5/6 years, and xbox 360 is getting to that age. The next generation is just around the corner and, if nintendo remember to implement all of this and make some innovative with it, then all will be good.

I know how you feel. I am a huge nintendo fan and already feel that, even though wii will (probably) always be better with the casual gamers (who aren't fussed with online, graphics, etc. but mostly focus on price, so Nintendo will triumph against Sony and Microsoft here, let's face it ) Nintendo may die in terms of hardcore gamers.

Nintendo has a lot of 3rd party support, but the 3rd party decides to make shovelware instead of good games, which doesn't help. But, IMO, DS will always be ahead of PSP. No matter what happens with all this Console War, I will always support Nintendo.

22. superscott Tuesday 24th Nov 2009 at 01:00

This year was gonna be the year of the new gen... but then the credit crunch hit. 2012 is rumoured to be the year the Xbox720 is launched. We all know it's there in development, with Natal next year and then the 720 the year after - the PS3 will need to catch up or Sony will have to go for the PS4.

23. cainzgamez Tuesday 24th Nov 2009 at 06:45

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh yet again the bigger concels copy nintendo
    ther only bigger concels coz evrything thay are id ripped of from nintendo!!!!!!!
    that will fail soon

24. laguz Tuesday 24th Nov 2009 at 12:08

maybe nintendo could ditch motion controls and revert back to proper controllers, then they'll be unique.

25. superscott Tuesday 24th Nov 2009 at 16:52

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh yet again the bigger concels copy nintendo
    that will fail soon

Yes, those HD graphics and online services were ripped from Nintendo...

26. super yoshifan Tuesday 24th Nov 2009 at 17:25

What a bunch of unimaginative retards. Why don't they just use their own ideas. Even with what everyone says, this won't work so Nintendo will have to try and leap forward. Or they can just make sure they have great games and a few extra gadgets on their consols

27. crazyturtle1234 Tuesday 24th Nov 2009 at 20:27

Other consoles:

valkyria chronicles
    littlebigplanet
    Dead Space
    Borderlands
    and more

Nintendo consoles:
    ...

28. seancuk23 Wednesday 25th Nov 2009 at 10:52

I am looking forward to Nintendo's next console, it will be quite interesting to see what they are conjuring up in their RnD departments, since they all ready gave us the touch screen and the motion sensor, I am at a loss to even hazzard a guess of what they are going to spring on us next! :? :? :?

29. luke4liverpool Wednesday 25th Nov 2009 at 17:19

in sales nintendo is gonna win by a landslide what with the casual stuff and all but say microsoft might go ahed because they have natal...they wont because it will cost 120 ish plus the console plus the shovelware games that are sure to come...while the 360 gets shovelware nintendo will be getting some quality games on both consoles...and while these things happen sony will be waveing a stick around just waiting for the shovelware...

Long live nintendo XD

30. benchneo Friday 27th Nov 2009 at 17:22

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh yet again the bigger concels copy nintendo
    that will fail soon

Yes, those HD graphics and online services were ripped from Nintendo...

Hm.. 360 controller.. Anyone remember the Cube controller? :P Then there was the whole Sony add motion sensitivity to the PS3 pad last minute! HD graphics aren't innovative now, the PC has had HD for years.. lol!

Online services.. I refer back to PC, though.. Sony kinda just started with it after the original Xbox, and only recently have come to actually have a good online service.

To be fair the Nintendo online service was ace from the start, at least on the DS.. The whole friend code system kinda messes it up, I think their should be an option to not use it.

Anyway.. For the next generation I think.. Nintendo need to catch up a little in terms of console power, improve their online service (3rd party devs should help!), maintain the backwards compatibility and channel style OS, give the console a decent storge size (512mb is not enough!), and at the end of the day try and give us something fresh also, oh and try to get rid of that shovelware tat!

Also I think it's gonna become very apparent.. Nintendo need a more powerful handheld. Not that what they have been doing with the DSi/XL isn't great.. But we need an actual NEW console soon!

31. Teawads Saturday 28th Nov 2009 at 14:44

I really don't like the look of the Natal. It's basically just a Microsoft version of the Eyetoy, and the fact that it lacks any controller means it will loose the feeling of holding something solid in your hands, without which games would be non-existant. The Playstation motion control thing looks like something else that comes to mind. And no, its not that. I was talking about a microphone

32. hobgoblin Thursday 17th Dec 2009 at 16:13

Nintendo has admittedly been a little slow recently, and the Wii's suffered as a result but come on! 2010 is going to smoke! Red Steel 2, Sin and Punishment 2, Epic Mickey, Metroid Other M, The Grinder, Mario Galaxy 2, No More Heroes Desperate Struggle, Monster Hunter Tri....I cant remember the last time the Wii had so many AAA quality games in production and that's not including the new Zelda which will be an event in itself. Half the talk on this debate smacks of school-playground rivalry! it doesnt matter one hoot about technology if the ideas behind it dont work; I'd love to see what sony or Microsoft actually bring to the wand and natal, becuase I think they'll be exactly the same sort of games they critisised Nintendo for making! When it comes to quality games, the Wii will have more than enough to last any gamer in 2010, and that's all that matters! This time next year I think most of you will agree with me!

33. Locarii Saturday 2nd Jan 2010 at 11:52

Not really. I see no reason for an update. If they update now, there wont be much of a graphical enhancement. And Sony are putting 3D etc. in their PS3, a new feature in a current console.

There wont be a new console until 2013, earliest. For sony maybe 2014.