50 Greatest Nintendo Moments: 10-1

What's our favourite moment ever?

Okay, we've been counting down our favourite Nintendo moments ever all week and we're finally at the top ten. Read on to discover our choice and then argue about it below!

Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy
10. Gusty Garden Theme - Super Mario Galaxy, Wii

When Super Mario Galaxy turned up on the scene Nintendo was still being criticised for its lack of orchestral music in its games. Many gamers were still bitter about the music in Twilight Princess and wanted an improvement. Galaxy fit the bill perfectly. The fully orchestral music was so incredible that gamers unanimously agree it's one of the best soundtracks ever. Our favourite example? That uplifting, joyful Gusty Garden theme. Blooming marvellous.

Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past
Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past
9. Come To The Dark Side - Zelda: A Link To The Past, SNES

At first things seem fairly simple: Link has to collect three magic pendants in order to prove that he's worthy of wielding the Master Sword. When you do this you find out that Zelda's been taken to Hyrule Castle by the evil Agahnim. By the time you get there, Agahnim's taken her to the Dark World and it's here that you realise the game is huge, when it turns out you have to free seven maidens, each in their own dungeon. And so you realise the game is twice as big as you thought - what a moment.

Duck Hunt
Duck Hunt
8. Dog Days - Duck Hunt, NES

Ah, Duck Hunt dog, how we loathe thee. Every time you shot down some ducks this little runt would pop out of the grass and steal them. No, nameless dog, those are our ducks. Even worse was when you missed, at which point the dog would emerge from the grass and chuckle away. The smug little...

Street Fighter II
Street Fighter II
7. Ha Dou Ken! - Street Fighter II, SNES

Is there any better feeling than the moment when, after days of trying, you finally nailed Ryu's fireball? No, of course not. Any button-bashing noobs could now be destroyed by simply standing back and chucking fireballs around willy-nilly.

Wii Sports
Wii Sports
6. In The Swing

Wii Sports, Wii

Yes, we know aiming was more about timing than the way you swung the Remote but at the time, for those first few innocent rallies, Wii Sports was revolutionary. Since then everyone's learnt the limitations of the Remote but hindsight is a powerful thing. Back then the possibilities were endless...

Super Mario world
Super Mario world
5. "You are a super player" - Super Mario World, SNES

Completing all the Star Road levels let you warp to the 'Special' area which contained eight super-hard levels, the last of which boasted a bunch of coins spelling out "YOU ARE A SUPER PLAYER". What a slap on the back! The greatest hidden area in Mario history? You'd better believe it.

Starwing
Starwing
4. Starwing Starts - Starwing, SNES

Mode 7 was all well and good, but when Nintendo first revealed details of the Super FX chip, people got really excited. Here was a device that could be built into specific cartridges and allow the SNES to play 3D polygon-based games for the first time. When the first screenshots of Starwing (the first Super FX game) started to emerge, gamers were a little confused because, being honest, it looked weird and blocky. Still, the games mags at the time were saying it was incredible, and so many gamers ran out and bought it.

Previous 1 2 Next page

Comments

1. EveA Friday 8th Jan 2010 at 12:53

I love that satisfying moment when you find a warp zone in a mario game.
    It's brilliant that players were rewarded for their curiosity :D

2. King Slazo Friday 8th Jan 2010 at 12:57

My #1 Nintendo moment will always be beating the Elite Four and Champion in Gold / Silver, only to find out that you've only completed half the game and the entire Kanto region is there waiting for you.

But still, I can see why the SMB Warp Zone would be up there, it was a brilliant piece of game design.

3. Athrun888 Friday 8th Jan 2010 at 13:10

Gusty Garden Galaxy theme is one of my favourite musical pieces in gaming and the Master Sword being drawn for the first time was just brilliant, then promptly trumped as you rediscovered hyrule and explored everywhere to see what had changed, more games need that sense of wonder.

4. chino40k Friday 8th Jan 2010 at 13:11

Before I write this I'd just like to say that you can't win.

If the Link moment was number 1 I was going to say some what predictable. However, as you've gone for the Warp Zone in SMB I would say it seems a bit under whelming.

On the other hand, your Starwing shout was excellent. In our utility room on top of a cupboard is the Starwing edition SNES bundle box - fond memories everytime I see it.

I think if I was writing the article I would have been inclined to have Peache's castle grounds as the number 1 moment.

Isn't Ha Dou Ken written as one word, Hadouken?

5. Paperwaluigi Friday 8th Jan 2010 at 13:50

Oh dear.

What you're saying, by putting 'warp zone' as your number one moment, is that Nintendo has never done anything better than Super Mario Bros., and has therefore got progressively worse as it continues. I was equally appalled when you said that it was the best Nintendo game ever.

Start answering your own questions properly, for goodness sake.

6. Mr Resettio Friday 8th Jan 2010 at 14:11

At least Galaxy wasn't No.1...

7. Mr Hat Friday 8th Jan 2010 at 15:20

Once again ONM put Galaxy way too high :cry:

It would be hard to write a list like this and NOT fill the top ten with zelda and Mario games like you did. That said, my top ten would just be No More Heroes bosses. They turned an average game into a legendary one! :)

8. Colgax Friday 8th Jan 2010 at 15:36

I just love the Gusty Garden Galaxy Theme! It's one of my favorites!

I just don't understand why do some people hate Super Mario Gallaxy so much.

9. ChrisONM Friday 8th Jan 2010 at 15:42

Oh dear.

Start answering your own questions properly, for goodness sake.

We aren't saying that at all. We're saying that it was, in our opinion, the best moment in Nintendo gaming in terms of the initial impact it had on us. That doesn't mean everything since has been getting "progressively worse", it just means that at the time it was the best thing going.

Standards change, and were Super Mario Bros released today nobody would bat an eyelid at the Warp Zone. At the time though, it was revolutionary.

10. GuyWhoLikesBlue2 Friday 8th Jan 2010 at 15:51

The Gusty Garden theme is certainly one of the best videogame themes ever. seeing as they used it in the Mario Galaxy 2 trailer, let's hope they use the theme in the game.....

11. Mrlizard Friday 8th Jan 2010 at 15:54

Not a bad top ten actually, apart from the abysmal numnber 1...

12. Hellb3nt12347 Friday 8th Jan 2010 at 15:58

for once i have to agree with the number one spot... i first played this game a few years ago and thought i'd found a glitch but it wasn't and i was well proud :P

13. Paperwaluigi Friday 8th Jan 2010 at 16:47

In that case, I can only assume that either Super Mario Bros. was the first game you ever played, or years of staring at screens have dulled your senses to the point where you cannot respond appropriately (Don't take me too seriously on that- I'm arguing for arguing's sake. But I still don't agree.).

14. lemonlips Friday 8th Jan 2010 at 17:10

I really think everyone needs to get over Super Mario Bros.

Going back to Kanto and seeing everything changed in G/S is my favourite moment.

15. Ai64 Friday 8th Jan 2010 at 17:13

A Cool top 10. Knew super mario bros was no.1

16. LuX Friday 8th Jan 2010 at 17:58

Great list, I think you justified your selection for number one, especially considering its release it would be difficult for the info of this warp zone to circulate.

And I don't see the Mario Galaxy one as Mario Galaxy, if you get me, it's more orchestral music as a whole, well at least thats what I think ONM were getting at.
    And using Galaxy's superb track as an example.

17. TheConch Friday 8th Jan 2010 at 19:15

In the grand scheme of things, you reckon finding Warp World was the greatest bit of any Nintendo game ever? Well you certainly can't be upset about the repeated shouts of "BIAS!" and "PREDICTABLE!" on these lists. Rate according to merit, not a series' reputation. This same innovation would not appear in this top 50 were it found in any other game. Plus, I'm sure I'm not the only one who found the Warp Zone first time through when I was about 8 and said "No thanks, I'd rather choose not to not play half the game."

Personally, I would have liked to have seen the organ music getting louder and louder as you ascend Ganondorf's castle and then the abrupt stop and chuckle when Link enters the room before the boss battle in Ocarina of Time on here somewhere. I suppose you wouldn't want to put two moments from one game =/ .

18. TheConch Friday 8th Jan 2010 at 19:17

*Warp Zone

19. king bomb-omb92 Friday 8th Jan 2010 at 19:27

i dont see wat all the fuss is about. at the end of the day we all hav our own greatest nintendo moments which we are all greatful for experiencing thank you nintendo for giving us these great moments!

20. DSVIP Friday 8th Jan 2010 at 19:34

Galaxy didnt have a single good moment, and the music is crap. Do I care if its orcestral or not? I dont like it, end of. I agree with mario worlds special stage though, and my favourite ever nintendo moment is ... all of secret of Mana.

21. 02hollandj Friday 8th Jan 2010 at 20:03

you guys are so mario biased ,from the polls ive seenmost nintendo fans actually prefer zelda,which is just a vasdtly superior game,yet in all ypour count downs it sewem number 2 some thing random about zelda oot,and number 1 something about smb1,which today,lets be honest has aged,who cares about its importance its about how it plays at the end of the day

22. remis95 Friday 8th Jan 2010 at 21:03

I love that satisfying moment when you find a warp zone in a Mario game.
    It's brilliant that players were rewarded for their curiosity :D

This. What an excellent No.1.

23. Lukeo10 Saturday 9th Jan 2010 at 06:51

Mine is always then I either Defeat Bowser in SMG 1, or or completing the pokemon league in any pokemon game...

24. Gothic_Geek Saturday 9th Jan 2010 at 10:57

mine too! Finding the warp zone was great too, though! :P

25. keiran09 Saturday 9th Jan 2010 at 11:15

that was one of my faves 2! just when u think the games done another bit opens up, and it was a great idea. i thought the whole top 10 was good and the ideas were justified well

26. bobfred89 Saturday 9th Jan 2010 at 17:01

2 be honest i think the whole top 10 should all be legend of zelda games because they are the greasest games ever created

27. Jophis Saturday 9th Jan 2010 at 23:14

To be honest, my favourite Nintendo moment is Super Mario Sunshine. It's not my favourite game, but I remember being absolutely blown away as a kid once I started sliding down that big hill at the start of the first level with the amazing water textures and interactions with the characters, and Pinna Park was a delight to explore. Shame there's no mention of SMS in the whole 50. :(

Other nintendo highlights not mentioned include;

- Starting up Super Smash Bros. for the first time, with the announcer screaming "SUPPPERR, SMAAAAAAAAAAAASH, BROTTHAAARSSSS!"
    - Also from SSB... "FALCOOOON, PAWWWNCH"

- Fighting Shadow Link in the Water Temple in Ocarina Of Time.
    - Just entering places like Lost Woods and Guerdo Valley, hearing the infectious music is a huge highlight from OOT.
    - Flying on chickens on OOT as well.
    - Breaking all those pots in that room, also in OOT.

- The visuals on F-Zero GX and the Metroid Prime series deserve a mention as the most visually attractive achievement ever from Nintendo.

- Meeting your first hippie in Mother or New Age Retro Hippie in Earthbound.

- Super Mario Bros. has a better classic moment ONM, and I quote it to you now. "Thank You Mario! But our princess is in another castle!"
    - And seeing that first Goomba advance at you is another great moment in SMB, but I'll let that one slide.

-Lylat Wars had another great nintendo moment. "Do a barrel roll".

- I almost forgot, Animal Crossing will be remembered for two reasons; one being those god-damn weeds that would appear once you neglected your game for a few months. The other being Mr. Resetti. I don't think these were in either, but I could be wrong. But Mr. Resetti is just genius from nintendo, and intelligent device to deter any reseting indeed, but there are some of us who liked to test his limits. ;)

...There's probably a tonne more. But the point is that some of these moments are pretty weak. ;D

28. garfield.0 Sunday 10th Jan 2010 at 00:25

one of my best moments was clearing free bird on expert

but the best was definatly getting all 16 gym badges and battling red at the summit of mt. silver in g/s/c

29. nintendo_guy Monday 11th Jan 2010 at 12:48

Warp zone? No.

30. redterror Monday 11th Jan 2010 at 14:55

I remember moment 9 so clearly! That was a great feeling, I had spent ages getting findihsing the 3 dungeons and was thinking 'What a great game' when suddenly, 7 more to go. Epic.

Also moment 3 should be the best one. I think the transition to 3d was a lot more satisfying than finding a shortcut, however revolutionary it may have been at the time.

...Also, King Slazo knows the score.

31. FriarLawrenceIII Monday 11th Jan 2010 at 16:07

My Number one moment? Beating the final level on Osu! Takatae! Ouendan 2. Such an awesome feeling. A mixture of exhaustion, pain (from the stylus now embedded in your finger), and sheer wonder.

As a side note, that level broke my DS lite's touch screen. :(

32. master sword Tuesday 12th Jan 2010 at 00:03

As a side note, that level broke my DS lite's touch screen. :(

thats something i know the feeling of, although the last level of EBA on hard mode did more damage to me than ouendan 2 X_X
    overall though not a bad list

33. kiba-fang-over Tuesday 12th Jan 2010 at 13:26

Surprise surprise for Mario to be no.1 :wink:

The best moment for me was LOZ WW, the minute you start up the game the screen comes up with this amazing music, and you can't help bit admire it's graphic style, the whole scenery of the game was beautiful and the whole exploration of the game was something Ninty gamers should remember to times to come, ths very game took a bold step for Zelda in terms of style and it succeded.

34. Krisboyd9 Monday 18th Jan 2010 at 08:11

Warp Zonez so rock in old and new mario games still.

35. linkmarth29 Tuesday 19th Mar 2013 at 19:48

BEATING THE BLASTED ELITE 4! I swear they make it harder every generation!