DSi XL UK release date revealed!

Nintendo's new handheld will be available from early March

Nintendo has announced that DSi XL will be released in the UK on 5 March 2010. The console will be available in two colours - wine red and dark brown - and will come pre-loaded with the DSiWare software Dr Kawashima's: Little Bit of Brain Training: Arts Edition, Dictionary 6 in 1 with Camera Function and Flipnote Studio, as well as the Nintendo DSi Browser.

DSi XL is the fourth edition of Nintendo's DS handheld console and, as you can see from the image to the left, owners will benefit from playing on the two 4.2 inch screens which are 93% larger than those on a DS Lite. The screens also have an improved wider viewing angle so your family and friends will be able to watch you play games easily.

The console comes with a new larger pen-like stylus in addition to the standard stylus. According to Nintendo, this new stylus has been designed to make 'extended stylus gameplay more comfortable to allow better control.'

DSi XL will have the same capabilities as the DSi, meaning you'll be able to download games from the DSi shop, take photos with the in-built cameras before customising them and sharing them online, and listen to and mess around with your music files.

Nintendo has yet to confirm how much DSi XL will cost but back in October 2009, we were told that the retail price is expected to be higher than that of the DSi.

Will you buy a DSi XL on 5 March? Let us know by commenting below...

Want more DSi XL? Watch our new 10 games that will play better on DSi XL feature.

Comments

1. nintendo_guy Thursday 14th Jan 2010 at 07:05

I hope to get this for my birthday on 13th of March, but if it's too late, I'll get a normal DSi.

2. tomonm Thursday 14th Jan 2010 at 07:12

What do you mean if it's out too late? It will be released on 5th March

3. Cacnea Thursday 14th Jan 2010 at 07:19

This AND HG/SS in the same month :D

4. fatlittlenick Thursday 14th Jan 2010 at 07:20

I am most likely going to get a Dark Brown XL (i love the two-tone browns they have used for it, makes it classy), even though i already own a black DSi. The larger screens are really a plus for me, not that i have bad eyesight but the fact i don't ever take handhelds with me on the bus etc, and that a lot of previewers have said the bigger screens are a delight.

5. sonic x Thursday 14th Jan 2010 at 07:36

i got a dsi on 3 april 2009 and am not getting this even though it is my birthday on the 16th there are lots of good games i am getting

6. maxmatt Thursday 14th Jan 2010 at 07:40

I might trade in my DSi for a XL I don't know yet it depends on the price

7. pompeyuni12 Thursday 14th Jan 2010 at 07:56

This AND HG/SS in the same month :D

I Know!!!!
    Hopefully they will sell it in a bundle, but i doubt whether nintendo will think about that, they dont usually think about things like that

so long as the console is 150 or less im happy, not paying more than that, even though my ds lite is dying :(

8. kirby711 Thursday 14th Jan 2010 at 07:59

does this mean my dsi-shop channel downloads will be available to others once it's sold, and i can't get those titles back? I suppose i could delete my account on there after copying all titles onto an sd card - can i do this?

9. Mdude38 Thursday 14th Jan 2010 at 08:00

Woah, that's weird because I also got a DSi on the 3rd of April and my birthday is on the 16th of March :shock:
    Yeah, I think I'll give this one a miss, I've had every single iteration of DS now but I don't really see much difference in this one apart from the fact it is bigger. I'll probably wait and see it for myself but I doubt I'll be buying it.

10. ChrisONM Thursday 14th Jan 2010 at 08:21

Let me chase that up with Nintendo to find out. I'm fairly sure you can transfer your account over but I need to double-check that.

11. SuperMarioFan886 Thursday 14th Jan 2010 at 08:46

It's pointless. I doubt that it will sell.

12. samus_killer Thursday 14th Jan 2010 at 09:57

I personally won't be getting it, but I've said before that nintendo aren't forcing people with a standard dsi to get the xl. So with that in mind people shouldn't be moaning. Buy it if you want it, don't if you don't want it. Simples.

13. Zelda Fan Thursday 14th Jan 2010 at 10:23

I'm not bothered getting a DSi XL anyway because I've already have the original DSi so I'm not keen on spending money on the DSi XL anyway but what I'm keen on right now is about the new games been announced that I'm more interested in not just the Hardware. I'ts the software that I'm more interested in anyway.

Right now I'm loving The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare right now. :)

14. sciqueen Thursday 14th Jan 2010 at 11:18

This AND HG/SS in the same month :D

I Know!!!!

I was hoping for the same thing: a nice Pokemon Gold edition DSi to play the game on! But you're right, Nintendo are dopey about these things lol.

15. sciqueen Thursday 14th Jan 2010 at 11:22

QUESTION FOR ONM STAFF!!

Is the DSi XL more comfortable to hold than a regular DSi or DS Lite? Is it lighter than the very first DS? My hands and wrists are aching from playing Zelda: Spirit Tracks my old silver, original DS, so I'm thinking of investing in a new DS system.

16. emerson Thursday 14th Jan 2010 at 12:10

Birthday in April and a horibly old original DS, I may have to, but the colours are very naff...

17. emerson Thursday 14th Jan 2010 at 12:12

18. Hylian_Grouch Thursday 14th Jan 2010 at 13:50

it seems i am the only one thinking this but ill say it anyway...

i cant wait for this to come out.
    no, i am not going to buy it.
    i may however buy a dslite depending on how much i can pay for it.
    a new console incarnation makes the older ones cheaper usually, so i might finally buy a ds... (until very recently there hasnt been enough games to make it worth my while)

19. sciqueen Thursday 14th Jan 2010 at 14:26

I hate the colours too. Where's the bright, girly pink?! XD

And with Pokemon Gold and Silver coming out soon after wouldn't it be better to have gold and silver Pokemon-themed ones? Come on Nintendo, we have to think for you!!!

20. Gavin Rozee Thursday 14th Jan 2010 at 14:52

It would help if they mentioned the... um, price.

I'd love to get one, but I can't be losing all of my DSiWare. Let me know when Nintendo can run an online store and service properly and not tie purchases to one system.

21. Erdogan44 Thursday 14th Jan 2010 at 16:00

omg.

My Birthday is the 4th March 2010!!

WOW.

This is mine.

22. Erdogan44 Thursday 14th Jan 2010 at 16:04

Decided. I'm getting this.

With a March 4th Birthday I'm going to get this.

23. Luigi1 Thursday 14th Jan 2010 at 16:29

It's odd that in the same console generation, I feel like an old fart clinging on to a rustique piece of technology. But oh well, long live the DS 'phat'!

24. ILoveWii Thursday 14th Jan 2010 at 16:32

Gorgeous finish on the top. I'd love a brown one.

25. AbeyancesPhoneix Thursday 14th Jan 2010 at 17:07

I'll be buying one probably. I still have an original DS from launch.

26. ibarnaby64 Thursday 14th Jan 2010 at 17:16

Nintendo fail.

27. Mmmyeah Thursday 14th Jan 2010 at 17:43

I never brought a DSi and I only got a DSlite because my original broke so I want one of these! However whilst I know it has been taken back now I have been a bit put off with Iwata talking about a successor to the DS

28. yellowhead Thursday 14th Jan 2010 at 19:42

What was the point of the DSi if Nintendo are just gonna re-release it 12 months later?

Sounds like Nintendo are trying to get blood from a stone when it comes to getting money

29. Otis P Jivefunk Thursday 14th Jan 2010 at 19:57

Bigger screens = more chance of dead pixels. Good luck with that anyone who gets one...

30. tim453 Thursday 14th Jan 2010 at 21:12

oH y e s :lol:

31. Gavin Rozee Thursday 14th Jan 2010 at 22:06

How'd you work that out? It has the same amount of pixels as every DS, 256 x 192.

32. LiamGodOfFood Thursday 14th Jan 2010 at 22:14

I am NOT getting this blatant money-grabbing attempt.

Even though mu DS's screens are only held together by superglue on the L and R shoulder buttons.
    *sigh* mario kart is difficult now...

I might, however, get a cut-price DSi, seeing as the one good result of the XL is 'outdated' console price cuts.

Make Zelda not new and pointless consoles!

33. wildlifepro Friday 15th Jan 2010 at 10:22

Me getting this depends on two things, how much birthday money I get, and whether I can still get at least one of HG/SS, also, there is no way I'm getting this if I lose all the things I bought on my dsi shop channel. I've still got my ds phat too, it's just the mic doesn't work...

34. sivlock Friday 15th Jan 2010 at 12:29

Glad I didn't get a DSI im still enjoyin the DS Lite I brought last year might get a DSI XL later in the year that is unless something else comes out from Nintendo in the meantime :-S

35. luigidolphin Friday 15th Jan 2010 at 17:11

I've been hankering after a DSi for a while, I'd love FlipNote Studio.

I like the idea of the XL as even though I have small palms and narrow fingers my fingers are long and I find playing games like Mario Kart awkward.

As for portability, we used to take the Original Gameboy around, that was 'chunky' compared to these mordern things!

Price might be an issue though. We'll see.

36. bobmarleypeople Friday 15th Jan 2010 at 18:00

For those asking about price, I'll do the roundup for you so far:

GAME: RRP: 159.99 Selling for: 149.99
    Gamestation: RRP: 159.99 Selling for: 149.99
    Amazon UK: RRP: 159.99 Selling for: 149.99
    Play.com: RRP: 159.99 Selling for: 149.95

So far, Play.com is winning by 4p.

I had a discussion with a GAME employee in my local store. He says that, as far as the screens are concerned, the enjoyability of the game depends on the ones you play. If the game was developed for screens bigger than the standard DS, then it will look great. If they were designed for the DS screen specifically or, god forbid, smaller screens, then it will look much more pixelated.

In technical speak, I believe that the screens are the same resolution as the old ones, but bigger. The equivalent would be watching a standard definition video on a 40" screen.

I will want a close up look myself, with a comparison with my current DS before I go buy one.

37. Bruiser Friday 15th Jan 2010 at 18:04

I'm fairly sure you should be able to, seeing as (ifi remember correctly) it's against ninty's terms of use to sell someone a dsi with a linked account/games already on it.

38. bobmarleypeople Friday 15th Jan 2010 at 18:23

Doesn't anyone remember the outrage a few months ago at how Nintendo doesn't allow games to be transferred between consoles? They still don't.

39. layton lover Saturday 16th Jan 2010 at 13:28

I will be getting this on the 5th of March, it looks truly great. Hate everyone that keeps slagging it off.

40. luigidolphin Saturday 16th Jan 2010 at 20:58

At only 10 more RRP I don't think the price will be a problem. Bigger screens, an extra stylus and software already loaded (I know some of it's free anyway). Not much more to ask. Plus by the time retailers have reduced it, depending on the market they think it will get it's really no different to the DSi.
    i.e. the Red one being more for a while then the Blue one selling out.

But I do like the Blue DSi's. But the Wine is nice too. And the matt effect is a good idea.

41. noodle link Sunday 17th Jan 2010 at 11:12

I won't be getting one straight away, but if i find it cheap used then I'll be buying that.

I'm still yet to get a new Wii at the end of the month (can't wait!), a PSP 1000 (because I only want it for playing games) and loads of Wii games.

42. dragalionos Sunday 17th Jan 2010 at 13:27

It really just depends on the price for me.
    I'm also getting monster hunter tri and the new pokemon so if its under 200 euro's (I live in holland) then i will get it.

43. bbnitendo Sunday 17th Jan 2010 at 16:45

This AND HG/SS in the same month :D

I Know!!!!

I agree with the price, but I think it will be more than 150. My DS is also dying, with the right side bit to the screen snapped so when I'm playing Fifa 10 the pitch is either normal or has thick red lines through the middle of the pitch.

44. Nintendo Boy Sunday 17th Jan 2010 at 23:50

To be fair, I think it looks absolutley amazing. The screen size is a noticeable improvement, and the games look just as good. I will be getting this one at launch, or a few weeks after; Seeing as i got the original DS, and i bought a DSi. I didn't bother with the DS lite. Thought it was pointless.

After all my negative thoughts about this console, Seeing it on Video has shifted my mind. However, I i will try one first before i buy it, To see the improvements for my self.

45. dizzy boy Tuesday 19th Jan 2010 at 07:31

tgis bugs the heck out of me.
    we get a new version of the dsi, and yet were nearly a year on without a single retail dsi exclusive game.

46. emperor ing Saturday 27th Feb 2010 at 18:00

I won't be getting one. I'm happy with my DSi thanks. I just don't need to upgrade the screen size. Not keen on the colours either, which are obviously chosen for an older audience. Nintendo should just stop milking the DS cash cow and get to work on a new piece of hardware. The current DS hardware is very dated now.

47. bluedsforever Sunday 28th Feb 2010 at 10:07

What do you mean if it's out too late? It will be released on 5th March

he means if its sold out