Gold/Silver was meant to be the last Pokémon game

Pokémon company boss saw it as the finishing line

Tsunekazu Ishihara has admitted that the original Pokémon Gold & Silver games were intended to be the last in the series.

The President of the Pokémon company spoke out during the latest Iwata Asks discussion chaired by Nintendo President Satoru Iwata.

"I worked with the assumption that after we put out Gold and Silver, my work as far as Pokémon was concerned would be done," said Ishihara. "I didn't intend to make any more Pokémon titles. I even thought that once we entered the twenty-first century, it would be time for me to do something else entirely."

In fact, Ishihari wasn't even contemplating making another Pokémon game even when the game was released. "I remember that when Gold and Silver were released, I felt like a burden had finally been lifted from my shoulders," he continued. "We'd had our sights set on the finish line of Gold and Silver for so long, and now that we'd finally completed the major series running right through from Red and Blue, I felt I could say to Tajiri-san: "I've fulfilled my duty!"

However, the success of Gold & Silver forced him to change his mind. "Once we'd released Gold and Silver and it was selling even faster than Red and Green, I couldn't very well get off the ride halfway through saying: "Nice work everyone. Good luck from here on in!"

No, it didn't turn out to be the finish line!

Good job too. Can you imagine if Nintendo hadn't released any Pokémon games after Gold & Silver?

You can get £5 off Pokémon HeartGold/SoulSilver with the new issue of Official Nintendo Magazine which goes on sale today. Click here for more details.

Comments

1. random_guy_14 Friday 12th Mar 2010 at 12:07

To be honest, as much as I liked the later games, there's a part of me which wanted that to be the case.

2. sgu07dh Friday 12th Mar 2010 at 12:17

Yeah it shows, the series definetly peaked with gold, silver and crystal but the subsequent games are still great.

Maybe there'll be a second peak with the remakes

3. hoshixcandy Friday 12th Mar 2010 at 13:12

To be honest, I feel as if the newer games, from 3rd gen and up were all just gearing up for the remakes of Silver and Gold : D

4. ACRID Friday 12th Mar 2010 at 14:14

There's still milk in this old Cash Cow

5. Random-Hero Friday 12th Mar 2010 at 15:04

If anything, it shows alot when you think about it. The ability to visit Kanto, the build up to fight Red (Manga "Ash") and the ability to trade from the previous titles.

Shame that when Generation 3 came along, it sucked. Sure it has some pretty cool Pokémon, but it was rather limited and seemed to be taking steps backward. Generation 4, while using some fantastic ideas from the past two Generations (Yes, there a few postives in R/S/E), the minor details begun to irritate people; such as the lack of a real Rival. I want someone who is cocky... Not someone who claims to be your best friend and runs around as if he is on speed.

Generation 5 has been announced and I hope that there is a Maximum of 55 new Pokémon within that game. There are just far too many and sometimes its good to bring back past faces... Not Geodude, Pontya, Zubat and Tentacool! THEY HAVE APPEARED ENOUGH AS IT IS!

6. Jamzter Friday 12th Mar 2010 at 15:53

where would we be if it was??

7. Random-Hero Friday 12th Mar 2010 at 17:01

where would we be if it was??

Well it would have ended on a huge high, the Anime would have ended with Ash losing in his final moments and the cast doing rare cameos in other Nintendo games; along with a possible Team Rocket show spin off...

Monster Hunters (Or whatever that show was called, the one with that Yellow eyed creature that looked like a deformed tadpole)

It was a rather simple Anime which copied most of Pokémon and Digimon could have become a possible hit, since people would be craving more monster mayhem. That or Medabots wouldn't have been so overshadowed (6:30am time slot, before Pokémon is not a good thing damnit!) and we wouldn't have had such poor games such as that GC joke. ='C

8. mariosmum Friday 12th Mar 2010 at 17:27

I've been playing pokemon since Red and i enjoyed G/S/C but i prefer R/S/E. *grabs shield to prepare self for incoming opinions*

9. The_Insider Friday 12th Mar 2010 at 17:36

My exact thoughts too...

10. kieran_the_krill Friday 12th Mar 2010 at 18:34

I'm glad that they didn't stop. The first game i got after red was pearl, then i got platinum and have just preordered heartgold, so if they had stopped i wouldn't be playing any pokemon games at the moment.

11. Mr Resettio Friday 12th Mar 2010 at 18:40

Just think. without R/S/E, there would be no Mudkipz!

12. FrostyLemon Friday 12th Mar 2010 at 18:54

To be honest this doesn't suprise me at all. The bloke has obviously wanted to move on from Pokemon for quite some time now. However, he has helped create something so popular he will probably never get to try his luck with anything else, Pokemon just makes too much money.

It shows in the games too because there has been no real dynamic change since the beginning. Time for Nintendo to be brave and let Pokemon fulfill its true potential I think?

13. Hellb3nt12347 Friday 12th Mar 2010 at 19:47

couldn't have put it better myself.

14. Random-Hero Friday 12th Mar 2010 at 20:02

Just think. without R/S/E, there would be no Mudkipz!

The first two Generations have created another meme's and history, that can surpass Mudkip. Did Mudkip ever get a lead role in a Super Smash bros game? Nope, but Jigglypuff did and she was a huge hit back in the first three seasons of the Anime!

15. Munchlax OWNS Friday 12th Mar 2010 at 20:32

to be honest, i would have guessed as much. R/S/E was a fork in the road - they were still good, but decidedly lacklustre. D/P went down that road some more, but HG/SS seem to be taking a path that may lead back to the original glory.
    We do have to accept that nostalgia plays a part in this, and that lighning doesn't strike in the same place twice.

16. Caz14 Friday 12th Mar 2010 at 20:33

I did like Ruby and Sapphire, and FR/LG were great remakes, but I agree that Gold and Silver were the best. Mainly cos the GBA ones and even D/P/Pt seem really short compared to G/S, with a lot less stuff to do. Which is why the remakes should be the definitive Pokemon games, and Gen V can start afresh.
    ...
    Preferrably with no more Pikachu rip-offs (damn Plusle and Minun)

17. sciqueen Saturday 13th Mar 2010 at 09:57

If only Gold and Silver were the last! Then we wouldn't have the rubbish later games and remakes which just cannot capture the magic of the original Gold and Silver.

Btw, that cartoon you're thinking of is Monster Rancher. The games weren't as good as Pokemon but the cartoon was fantastic. And the yellow eyeball character was called Suezo ;)

18. funmaker11 Saturday 13th Mar 2010 at 10:44

I don't know but I think I'm happy we have R/S/E and D/P/Pl released, as I can't just stick on the same game again and again (things have to move on soon). Fair enough, the later games don't bring the same magic as in the 1st and 2nd generation games, however, I think they are pretty good replacement for these recent times. I mean now, you can battle online and etc.

With the release of HG/SS soon, things could be freshen up afterwards. I'm surely looking forward to the 5th gen games!

19. pokelong Saturday 13th Mar 2010 at 10:52

I'm grateful that Pokemon didn't die after Gold/Silver. Otherwise I would have never heard of Pokemon or Nintendo.

20. Shigeru Saturday 13th Mar 2010 at 12:01

I wish they had been the last games. Ruby & Sapphire were s**t!

21. The_Insider Saturday 13th Mar 2010 at 12:22

I was thinking this recently myself, you think of Game Freak, and there's clearly only one set of games you think of.

I know they have made other games in the past, but I would like to see what else they are capable of.

22. HNF1 Saturday 13th Mar 2010 at 15:46

Similarly to what most of the guys above have said, it would have ended at a remarkable high and easily be deemed as one of the greatest gamingseries ever. As it is, it still is deemed as such, but with the later instalments to the series not being as good, it slightly takes the shine off the overall hail and quality. In some ways it would've been good for the series to stop at G/S/C, but whilst Gen 3 sucked in comparison, I found it still rather enjoyable and gen 4 was just as great and fun to play (if not better, IMO). I'm glad it has continued also because we most probably wouldn't be seeing the release of HeartGold/SoulSilver later on this month, and they're going to have many awesome new things to what the originals did, and we'll even see some new things for the series, so they should pwn. And the odd spin-off after G/S/C has been either half-decent, a bit pooey, or great, so overall I have to say I'm very glad the series - my favourite game series of all time - continued afterwards.

23. thepetdoctor Saturday 13th Mar 2010 at 16:54

It wouldn't have been, Nintendo know that if they stoped Pokemon then in about 20 years time (2020) someone else would be in Charge of Nintendo, and screw around with Pokemon, so this why they made more games, but I think Pokemon SS and HG should be the last, I mean they really would end on a high, but I fell that the 5th gen games, will not sell that well, and well spell the end of Pokemon!

24. Random-Hero Saturday 13th Mar 2010 at 18:09

D/P/P saved Pokémon in my mind, due to the darker and more sinister style Team Galactic where given compared to Aqua and Magma; which seem like some camp rivals that Batman would have had to deal with.

This is also very clear when you look at the Anime series (Still bad mind). Dawn has clear confidence and emotional issues, while May was just a female Ash with very limited ability's but to bore people. Not to forget the horrendously bad Team Rocket motto and awful Battle Frontier side plot (Which somehow crawled its way in the G/S remakes ¬_¬)

The Manga... Havent a clue about those, but no doubt they would have been improved as well. Like I said in another post, the only way that the 5th Gen can do any good is limit the amount of new Pokémon! (Not pack in 7+ Legends and Alternative forms)

25. Snizzbut Saturday 13th Mar 2010 at 21:29

ruby was the first video game i ever bought with my own money, so of course ill be slighly biased here =P
    But to me R/S/E are the best.

26. sega Saturday 13th Mar 2010 at 21:46

omg, i just whis nintendo just stop making remakes and do a PROPER 3d pokemon game for wii, so it is nothing like xd gale of darkness were you dont capture other peoples pokemon, and have they made pokemon onyx yet? since isnt that a stone?

27. Looeef Saturday 13th Mar 2010 at 21:53

im glad they didn't stop also i was staring at that baby getting leaped on by a cat for about 3 minutes smiling

28. ClockMenace Sunday 14th Mar 2010 at 00:58

Ditto, except the 'liking the later games' part.
    Ruby was the only game I clocked in over 400 hours on. I think the third gen. wasn't too bad, but D/P/P did not need to be made.

29. Zen Sunday 14th Mar 2010 at 12:21

Glad the series didn't end.

I don't understand why some people would have prefered Pokemon to end. What benefit is there in that? Maybe some pathetic gain in ruining the fun for people who think otherwise?

If you believe Pokemon RPG's should have stopped, then stop playing it.

30. rameses08 Sunday 14th Mar 2010 at 15:15

for me, Gold and Silver were the best Pokemon, closely followed by Red, Blue and Yellow

G/S just seemed to take eeverything that was awesome about R/B/Y and make it perfect

I did enjoy Diamond and Platinum a lot, but I didn't get attached to the Pokemon in these games like I do with R/B/Y/G and S. These remakes, for me, are my most anticipated games of the year so far. As other people have said, nostalgia really helps to keep something special and momentous.

31. Random-Hero Sunday 14th Mar 2010 at 15:38

Of course you are going to biased, you never played the series from the start and cannot really comment on how the series grew. Be like me bitching about the Custom Robo games, yet I have only played the very enjoyable DS title (Totally ignoring the N64 and Gamecube history).

32. Nik1245 Sunday 14th Mar 2010 at 19:44

......No Buizel? 0_0
    But then again, No Bidoof is a plus!

33. minimarioman Monday 15th Mar 2010 at 02:33

I do agree with you there, but ruby and saphire was still really fresh in their own way, they introduced new things like the ability system and double battles (emerald perfected this with the double trainer eyesight thing). i also liked the pokemon in this gen as well, treeko was the first grass starter to not look like a dinosaur. i also liked the fire starter as swell as the fire/fighting matchup was realy fresh at the time. The highlites were the ghost pokemon though as the zip mouth one looked kind of creapy.

34. sgu07dh Monday 15th Mar 2010 at 11:49

Nah, Treeko and its evolutions look like velociraptors

35. samz Monday 15th Mar 2010 at 16:37

why dont thay realy freshen it up by diching the very repetitive hand held crap and make a proper home console version

36. IG-42 Monday 15th Mar 2010 at 18:06

if they didn't make more we wouldn't have awsome ones like lucario or...MUDKIPZ

37. laguz Monday 15th Mar 2010 at 19:50

diamond/pearl/platinum are terrible, far too many legendaries and `event` pokemon, un-imaginative new pokemon and it just wasn't fun to play through.

i personally think ruby/sapphire/emerald are brilliant games (though not as good as gen 1 or 2) and don't understand the stick those games get when d/p/p are far worse.

38. MARION64WII Monday 15th Mar 2010 at 21:15

He could have ended it all :(. But he didn't, dosen't he think that maybe it's time for something new.

39. kieran_the_krill Tuesday 16th Mar 2010 at 00:18

... i hate mudkips.

40. MattoMogwai Sunday 21st Mar 2010 at 14:51

If it was, an apocalypse would probably kill us all. :evil:

41. Mahzes Saturday 27th Mar 2010 at 09:47

You know, I have to confess- after Sapphire, I actually gave up on the Pokemon series for the best part of 5-6 years. By that point it really did feel pretty obvious that they were just making the games for the sake of making them- a lot of the new monster designs started to really suck around that point. Thankfully things picked up a bit for the 4th gen (which I only picked up last year when Platinum hit the shelves- the first Pokemon game I'd got since Sapphire).

If you ask me, HeartGold and SoulSilver would have had much more of a nostalgic impact if there HAD been no other games between the origina G/S. End the series, take a ten-year break, then say "Hey, we're rereleasing these awesome games to celebrate ten years!"

As it is, good or not, when there have been a steady stream of Pokemon games for the last fifteen years, HG/SS just don't have that level of impact.