Pokéwalker: Walk 1000 miles to unlock all routes

That's further than Land's End to John O Groats!

You'd need to walk an incredible 1,000 miles to unlock all the routes on the Pokéwalker that comes with Pokémon HeartGold/SoulSilver.

The Pokéwalker is a pedmoter-style accessory that comes with HeartGold/SoulSilver. You can store a Pokémon on it and as you walk around in real life your Pokémon will gain watts. You'll also unlock new routes, discover Pokémon and find items.

However, according to Bulbapedia, you'd need to walk 1,000 miles to get unlock all the routes in the Pokéwalker. That's assuming you take around 2,000 steps per mile.

So as if catching 'em all wasn't hard enough already, you now have to walk 1,000 miles as well! That's more than the distance from Land's End to John O' Groats!

Do yoy think you'll catch 'em all AND unlock all the routes?

You can watch our Pokéwalker video here.

Comments

1. Ai64 Monday 15th Mar 2010 at 14:51

Gosh! A lot of walking to do for that.

2. Slayso Monday 15th Mar 2010 at 14:52
  3. jimbob555 Monday 15th Mar 2010 at 14:55

Holy shiz. That sounds like so much fun! :D It will give me more of a reason to walk home now! Even though I do it loads already. >.> I dunno. It does sound like fun. I better get chosing what games i'm gonna trade in.

4. Munchlax OWNS Monday 15th Mar 2010 at 15:20

I would walk 5000 miles, and I would walk 5000 more, just to be the one that beats his Pokedex and falls down at your door.

Baaabaaadabaaa!
    *expects 2-part harmony*

5. tomonm Monday 15th Mar 2010 at 15:31

Baaabaaadabaaa!
    *expects 2-part harmony*

It's 500 miles! And don't you dare sing Baabaadaba at the wrong place ;-)

6. kracian Monday 15th Mar 2010 at 15:37

HOOOO LEEEEE *BEEP* ive got some serious walking to do D=

7. Munchlax OWNS Monday 15th Mar 2010 at 15:44

Baaabaaadabaaa!
    *expects 2-part harmony*

It's 500 miles! And don't you dare sing Baabaadaba at the wrong place ;-)

Yeah but 5000+5000 is 10000, which is the whole point of the article.

And in the original, it's Bobby Davro

8. Badger3112 Monday 15th Mar 2010 at 15:49

Baaabaaadabaaa!
    *expects 2-part harmony*

It's 500 miles! And don't you dare sing Baabaadaba at the wrong place ;-)

Yeah but 5000+5000 is 10000, which is the whole point of the article.

And in the original, it's Bobby Davro

the article says 1000 not 10000

9. King Seda Monday 15th Mar 2010 at 15:52

Topical: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd1IfDN6VKY

LOL!

I doubt I'll get this done for a loooong time.

10. sega Monday 15th Mar 2010 at 15:53

cant you just keep shaking it lol?

11. ChojiMunch Monday 15th Mar 2010 at 16:01

cant you just keep shaking it lol?

It can tell when you shake it XD Evil trickery of the Pokewalker... this is gonna take me so long :lol:

12. master dingley Monday 15th Mar 2010 at 16:12

Does the pokewalker have any wireless stuff or make any noises?
    If not then I could take it to work, if it does then I wont be able too as the wireless screws up our phones :(

13. Link16 Monday 15th Mar 2010 at 16:17

That is ridiculous. Those last routes better be worthwhile...

14. ILoveWii Monday 15th Mar 2010 at 16:19

TBH, you can shake it. I know it doesn't respond if you rapidly shake it, but shake it a bit at a time.

15. nintendowen Monday 15th Mar 2010 at 16:32

Does the pokewalker have any wireless stuff or make any noises?

I think Chris said in the unboxing video ( http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co. ... p?id=15640 ) that you can turn off sound and that it's only wireless when you hold down a button.

16. PYROCHAOS Monday 15th Mar 2010 at 16:35

so basically, 10,000 steps every day for 200 days

17. Fredsterr Monday 15th Mar 2010 at 16:37

blimey, thats a long way, it mustn't be very effective then

18. pikarich Monday 15th Mar 2010 at 16:43

Guys, this is coming from BULBAPEDIA! I know it's a great source and all, but it's a Wikia! People can edit it. It's probably fake info.
    But if it is true, sounds fun! 8)

19. Mr Resettio Monday 15th Mar 2010 at 16:52

dam now i have to do exercise :wink:

20. TyrDragon Monday 15th Mar 2010 at 16:58

well I estimate it will take me just over ~7 months to do that. Fantastic.

21. nintendo_guy Monday 15th Mar 2010 at 16:59

What about the obese Americans, who sit in dark basements for 20 hours every day? They'll have to walk!

22. HNF1 Monday 15th Mar 2010 at 17:01

2 million steps? No problem :D. Srsly though, I shall be wearing it constantly from the day I get the game, so it will almost literally be the next 2 million steps from the game's release, although it'll still probably take forever! I'd say easily longer than a year, or close, depending on how much you walk.

23. pompeyuni12 Monday 15th Mar 2010 at 17:14

Seems silly as there only about 8 pokemon you can only get from the pokewalker, all of which you can trade or get from pal park. A good addition, but it just seems to me that they are doing it to bump up the price of the game. And an LCD screen, seriously?!

I'll pass :lol:

24. ChrisONM Monday 15th Mar 2010 at 17:16

But if it is true, sounds fun! 8)

We do also have the game, don't forget. :D

It's true, we can confirm it.

Does the pokewalker have any wireless stuff or make any noises?

It does make noises but there's an option to turn them off. It's not stricly wireless either, it's just an infra-red connection. It's exactly the same technology (and just as dangerous) as a TV remote control.

25. ChrisONM Monday 15th Mar 2010 at 17:17

I'll pass :lol:

It's also a good way to level up your Pokemon without too much effort.

26. pokemaniac 212 Monday 15th Mar 2010 at 17:51

I wish they'd come up with a feasible way to catch spiritomb one of these days.

27. pokemaniac 212 Monday 15th Mar 2010 at 18:03

I wish they'd come up with a feasible way to catch spiritomb one of these days.

28. pokemaniac 212 Monday 15th Mar 2010 at 18:06

Apologies for the double post :(

29. Blue Toad Monday 15th Mar 2010 at 18:25

Guess this is Nintendo's way of making gamers who didn't buy Wii Fit fit!

30. clarkie123 Monday 15th Mar 2010 at 18:27

Baaabaaadabaaa!
    *expects 2-part harmony*

Damn, you beat me to it (except, as Tom said, it's 500 miles). :D

31. Laughlyn Monday 15th Mar 2010 at 19:30

hmm who here senses a sport relief challenge for one on the (un)lucky ONM team?

have one the team walk the 1000 miles around the country and challenging other pokefans along the way.

32. SoulSilver IV Monday 15th Mar 2010 at 19:39

One day we'll all bow down to the TV remote overlord. Just you wait...

33. ploiper Monday 15th Mar 2010 at 20:45

may have to start taking this to the gym then, i walk a fair distance on the treadmills there.

34. Laughlyn Monday 15th Mar 2010 at 20:54

hmm who here senses a sport relief challenge for one on the (un)lucky ONM team?

actually when my daughter is a bit better i think i may do it as a charity walk for the hospital that looked after her. it'd deffo be an interesting thing. pack up a tent n some good walkin shoes and post my progress on here, challenging folk to battles when i hit a town.

be kinda like that guy who dances on youtube all over the world lol

35. DarkDeoxys Monday 15th Mar 2010 at 20:55

well since i practically walk everywhere near enough (like to where i work and back and to town) this will be easy for me to do :lol: also could do this while playing on wii fit + on the jogging game (means i can calculate how many steps i took and put it on the calculator thing and will help me walk even while im at home i'd be killing two birds with one stone

36. DarkDeoxys Monday 15th Mar 2010 at 20:55

well since i practically walk everywhere near enough (like to where i work and back and to town) this will be easy for me to do :lol: also could do this while playing on wii fit + on the jogging game, (means i can calculate how many steps i took and put it on the calculator thing and will help me walk even while im at home) i'd be killing two birds with one stone.

37. DarkDeoxys Monday 15th Mar 2010 at 20:57

sorry for the double post, dont know why it did it

38. TimE742 Monday 15th Mar 2010 at 21:05

One thing I did wonder with the pokewalker is that what if the battery goes flat while you have a pokemon on there will it lose the data of the pokemon. I would really hate to lose a pokemon I have spent hours training or one which was event only

39. Toadsanime Monday 15th Mar 2010 at 21:07

I'll pass :lol:

It's also a good way to level up your Pokemon without too much effort.

That's the only thing I don't like about the Pokewalker, funnily enough.

I'd much rather train them the good ol' hard way, and I'd rather battle people that haven't raised their Pokemon simply by going for a bit of a jog every day.

40. Laughlyn Monday 15th Mar 2010 at 21:07

it could have one them kinetic batteires liek the sekonda watches. makes sense for a pedometer i dunno why it aint been done yet

41. TimE742 Monday 15th Mar 2010 at 21:08

42. Munchlax OWNS Monday 15th Mar 2010 at 21:35

I'll pass :lol:

I lol'd.
    1) There are about 70-100 Pokemon you can get on the Pokewalker, about 20 of which are exclusive to it. You can also get hundreds of items.
    2) The game costs the same as a normal DS game. The Pokewalker is free.
    3) You expect a full-colour screen on a peripheral that big - and it to be free? You ask too much, good sir.

43. LittleChris Monday 15th Mar 2010 at 21:57

I wish they'd come up with a feasible way to catch spiritomb one of these days.

Spiritomb is on one of the pokewalker areas actually.

If the battery dies, the pokemon is safe, you just lose any watts or items you had.

44. Nintendo Boy Tuesday 16th Mar 2010 at 00:25

I agree; 1000 miles is a bit far to have walked combined; However it gets people walking.

45. ClockMenace Tuesday 16th Mar 2010 at 01:11

I'll pass :lol:

It's also a good way to level up your Pokemon without too much effort.

The Pokewalker will count the miles/steps after the Pokemon on it has reached its one level for the walking day on it, right?

In this day and age, I'd imagine so, but just want to check.

46. pompeyuni12 Tuesday 16th Mar 2010 at 07:33

I'll pass :lol:

It's also a good way to level up your Pokemon without too much effort.

So no EV trained pokemon for you then?

47. sivlock Tuesday 16th Mar 2010 at 13:09

Should be quite interesting and a secret way of getting people to exercise, im good for it :D

48. pokemaniac 212 Tuesday 16th Mar 2010 at 16:45

I wish they'd come up with a feasible way to catch spiritomb one of these days.

Spiritomb is on one of the pokewalker areas actually.

Thats my point. Its this area that its caught on.

49. Pokawaii Tuesday 16th Mar 2010 at 18:17

D:

But I'm doomed...

50. LiamGodOfFood Tuesday 16th Mar 2010 at 22:34

100 miles? OTT?

Anyone who does that has either found a way to cheat, spends years on it, or is plain weird. :?

Hope I haven't just offended anyoone.

51. Super_Sonic96 Wednesday 17th Mar 2010 at 06:43

...I'm going to go shiver in a corner now...

52. Kirgandian Wednesday 17th Mar 2010 at 15:36

I presume those Pokéwalker tracks that you unlock through Watts don't include the Special Event Tracks, like the one you get by trading an Event Jirachi into HG or SS.

Regardless, I'm glad I walk an awful lot. An awful, awful lot.

Nintendo, making diligent Pokégamers get fit...I smell a conspiracy.

53. The_Insider Wednesday 17th Mar 2010 at 16:23

Baaabaaadabaaa!
    *expects 2-part harmony*

It's 500 miles! And don't you dare sing Baabaadaba at the wrong place ;-)

Yeah but 5000+5000 is 10000, which is the whole point of the article.

And in the original, it's Bobby Davro

the article says 1000 not 10000

PokéOwned :D

In other news, this relates to the article quite nicely: http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/

:P

54. GeorgeWood Wednesday 17th Mar 2010 at 19:20

Consider 2000 steps per mile 2,000x1,000=2,000,000!
    2 MILLION STEPS!
    2 Million Steps to unlock all routes! That is INSANE!

55. sivlock Thursday 18th Mar 2010 at 13:08

How does it respond to like jogging and running cus I do that more often than walking anywhere?

56. Coben Thursday 18th Mar 2010 at 18:05

I HAVE BASICALLY ALL THE POKEMON GAMES AND I HAVE EVER BEEN ABLE TO USE MYSTERY GIFT BECAUSE IT SAYS SOMTHING ABOUT MY ROUTER. AND READING ABOUT ALL THE POKEWALKER MYSTERY GIFTS LIKE THE PIKCHU ROUTE I REALLY WANT TO KNOW HOW TO FIX IT AND SO MANY OTHER PEOPLE SO PLEASE HELP?

57. BlueSoup8 Friday 19th Mar 2010 at 16:08

I will take this with me to school and wear it if I'm walking back home. :)

58. Tseman Friday 19th Mar 2010 at 17:19

Lets get the Vanessa Carlton tunes out.
    ;D

59. mariosmum Friday 19th Mar 2010 at 18:35

i dont really see the point in doing this.

ive recently completed the pokedex on diamond and i dont think i'll get anything new out of these routes.

60. mcs31 Friday 19th Mar 2010 at 23:34

Yay for three day DofE walks. That should rack up some miles.

61. Wackiest Saturday 20th Mar 2010 at 03:13

I think I read somewhere that an average person walks around 250miles per year. Don't quote me on that though, four years to unlock every route? Seems a bit much, lol

62. Locarii Saturday 20th Mar 2010 at 12:56

Yay =) I know this sounds weird, but I'm really happy about this. I know if they were really easy to get I wouldn't use the walker nearly as much. Know for the next year or so I'll have something to aim for, always having new tracks to unlock =)

63. Jaguar 276 Saturday 20th Mar 2010 at 22:57

Well, then... we'd better start walkin'.

64. lmorr Sunday 21st Mar 2010 at 11:22

I WILL WALK 1000 miles and will have all the routes

65. pokemonworld_95 Monday 29th Mar 2010 at 16:20

"'cause you know i'd walk a thousand miles if i could just see you, just hold you, tonight"
    -Vanessa Carlton

i was just dying to put this.

66. Dragonfree97 Monday 29th Mar 2010 at 17:37

1) Bulbapedia is not a Wikia. This is the Pokemon Wikia: http://pokemon.wikia.com. Bulbapedia is somewhat like Wikipedia, in the respect that it is owned by itself, not some big company with loads of wikis on it (e.g. Wikia)

2) Bulbapedia has been locked for the past 3 weeks to prevent people adding fake information when so many people want information during the HG/SS release period.

3) Erm... I haven't even unlocked the first unlockable course yet! (I did catch a Venonat w00t but ah well...)

67. sivlock Wednesday 31st Mar 2010 at 12:46

Anyone heard about the pikachu forest downloadable route
    for the pokewalker from April 1st?

68. supergangspy Monday 24th May 2010 at 19:11

you know i think i know why its so long. i mean, in pokemon you journey around the region finding new places and routes dont you? even in the anime. So when you think about it, all they are doing is making the pokemon games more like they should be as it simulates the long journeys that we all take in game and ash takes in the anime. We are pokemon trainers after all!

p.s. original theme: I WILL TRAVEL ACROSS THE LAND, SEARCHING FAR AND WIDE. EACH POKEMON TO UNDERSTAND THE POWER THATS INSIDE!