Next DS needs 'GPS and 3G tech'

Leading DSi dev on the future of Nintendo's handheld

A leading DSiWare developer has told ONM that he'd like the next DS to feature GPS and 3G connectivity.

Nic Watt, the man behind the excellent DSiWare game Pop Plus Solo, said that GPS and 3G tech would enable gamers to "play online wherever you are.

"We would also be able to add location-based features to games," added the Nnooo Games Creative Director.

He's not the only one who believes that the next DS would benefit from improved online technology. Monster Hunter Tri producer Ryozo Tsujimoto told ONM recently that the next DS needs stronger online functionality.

Nic Watt and Ryozo Tsujimoto are just two of many leading developers to share their vision for the future of DS in the new issue of Official Nintendo Magazine. You can read more in Issue 54 which is on sale now.

You can buy the new issue here.

Let us know your ideas for the next DS in the comments thread below.

Comments

1. luigispizza Tuesday 16th Mar 2010 at 11:22

It's good that someone in the industry has spoken up about this, but the 3G can be a fickle friend because it will most probably cost money to use...

2. Moriartyx Tuesday 16th Mar 2010 at 11:25

I agree with the 3G/GPS ideas - the DS is supposed to be a portable handheld, but at the end of the day if you want to go online with any of your games, you have to be in the same house as a wireless modem. It would be pretty epic if you were sat in the middle of a park or on a bus playing with people all over the world. :-)

My only ideas for the new console is to make sure it's backwards-compatible and to have a better web browser...and perhaps a multimedia player. You know, load up an SD card with songs, photos and movies, etc. It doesn't have to be a particularly good one, but I find it useful to use my DSi XL as a music player when I'm cooking. It shouldn't be the main focus of the console, though, just a nice little side-feature.

3. Nintendo Boy Tuesday 16th Mar 2010 at 11:26

Graphically; It needs to be much more powerful. Seeing as the DS mirrors N64 graphics, and the GBA mirrored the SNES, The new DS should be graphically around the Gamecube.

That, and maybe the inclusion of an anologue stick.

4. lminett Tuesday 16th Mar 2010 at 11:30

Have to ask...whats the point? im not intrested in GPS or 3G for my DS, i bought it to play games and thats what i want it to do.

5. jimdigby Tuesday 16th Mar 2010 at 11:53

When I first held my XL I was struck by how perfect the form factor would be for a more multi-function device, particularly incorporating location based tech and augmented reality via the camera inputs.

Everybody seems to be packing this stuff into phones now but with the result of having to charge the battery every day. I'd much rather have these functions in a games console where a bigger battery is more viable and a flat one wouldn't mean being out of contact with people.

I do think that the focus should stay on gaming but it really can't hurt to have a sideline in navigation and web browsing, which I already enjoy on my XL.

6. TyrDragon Tuesday 16th Mar 2010 at 12:03

It could enhance the way you play games, thus making games better - more interactive even.

7. Athrun888 Tuesday 16th Mar 2010 at 12:13

The next ds DOESN'T need this, playing online anywhere sounds good on paper but anyone who has used public transport knows it just isn't practical, online matches take time and can't be stopped by, say, putting the console into sleep mode, and when travelling you need to be able to stop at the drop of a hat, otherwise you might miss your next transport connection, as I said it just isn't that logical and all it would do is bump the price up of the hardware, no thanks.

8. Sidekick Tuesday 16th Mar 2010 at 12:16

Why are people moaning :roll: about what the latest incarnation of the DS hasn't got...Should be praising :D its inovations Come on get a grip, it's only gaming It's not like it's life or death. Let the onslaught commence.........

9. lminett Tuesday 16th Mar 2010 at 13:06

really? so when we play online it might tell us where the person were playing against is, but thats about all i can think of, im just really not intrested in turning my DS into a sat nav thanks.

10. Johnzaloog Tuesday 16th Mar 2010 at 13:11

I admit it is an interesting idea. While I feel a GPS would not truly be a great idea, the 3G idea seems to have a valid point. I understand that playing online does require complete concentraction, but I think it could be useful for, say, the internet browser, or downloading DSiware games. It is a nice idea, but we need to see how it would be implemented first.

11. Colgax Tuesday 16th Mar 2010 at 14:05

I have no experience with 3G, but I've heard that its terrible. It loses the connection all the time. But I still think that both 3G and GPS are good ideas.

12. neongiratina Tuesday 16th Mar 2010 at 14:58

Incredible ideas. Iwata, take note.
    Meanwhile, I think more games should use the camera and we should get bigger DSiWare and a DSi VC, Imagine Invizimals DS? no extra 10 for a camera and it can be as big as Pokemon.
    So here's my list now lol

1. DSi VC.
    GB, GBC, GBA and GB Pocket.
    Save file import feature for GBA Games where you put in a GBA game into a DS/DSlite and boot up the GBA Game, go to the GBA VC game and go to a Save file Import option and connect to the DS. If the GBA cart is in a DS, thats all you need to connect for this.

2. More Camera games.
    Imagine playing a minigame on Pokemon and you scan the area and find a Pokemon? like, outside for instance, you point the lense to a roof and see a Meowth? then you do a throwing motion with you hand and a Pokeball appears on-screen? yes please

3. Bigger DSiWare.
    As I said, Invizimals DSi. Works like #2 but it's a full game

If either the DSi updates to this, or the DS2 has a camera/cameras then all this is possible but with flashier Graphics.

Oh yeah, 3D as well, but that might be pushing it

13. thenintendoer Tuesday 16th Mar 2010 at 15:01

why do we need another ds? there are already 4 on the market

14. FriarLawrenceIII Tuesday 16th Mar 2010 at 15:21

why do we need another ds? there are already 4 on the market

Which are all, technically speaking, mostly identical (the DSi is more powerful, but no-one uses that extra power)

I believe the dev was talking about a DS2.

Anyway, i'm unsure about 3G. They would probably have to charge a subscription fee (ala apple), or add an extra 100 to the price tage (ala Kindle). Personally, i would like to see the option to buy either a wi-fi only model (with support for WPA on all games), or a model with both. Apple are doing so with the ipad afterall.

15. GuyWhoLikesBlue2 Tuesday 16th Mar 2010 at 16:15

well, if we're starting lists here- I'd also like it to come included with a fully built in swiss army knife and a george forman grill! :lol:

16. sega Tuesday 16th Mar 2010 at 16:30

no.... no more ds's i was going to buy the dsi but then the dsi xl was announced so i am saving for that since i already have a normal fat ds, ds lite white, ds lite red

17. Gothic_Geek Tuesday 16th Mar 2010 at 16:35

Haha. I suggested this a while back! Wise words there from mr DSiWare developer man. :mrgreen:

But if it costs money to use, no.

18. 142520452213 Tuesday 16th Mar 2010 at 16:44

I highly doubt it will cost money to use. After all, despite the amount of games there are for online, Nintendo has the best WiFi servers of all consoles. The 360 requires an annual fee to pay for their internet, and the PS3 is slow supposedly.

I highly doubt, because of this reason, that there will be a charge incur for the next DS.

19. jimbob555 Tuesday 16th Mar 2010 at 17:21

Pop plus Solo?. Yeah. That really gives him saying power. >.>

20. widzer Tuesday 16th Mar 2010 at 17:51

this man speaks wise words, listen to him!

21. Fredsterr Tuesday 16th Mar 2010 at 17:58

I like this but i hope it won't cost to use

22. Mmmyeah Tuesday 16th Mar 2010 at 18:28

i know it has been around for a fair bit bbut i think there is still absolutely loads of life left in the ds. all this talk of sequel recently makes me think that something will be announced, probably e3 2011 if so. this has put me off upgrading my lite now

23. ShadowofPain Tuesday 16th Mar 2010 at 19:21

Definately. This needs to happen. I'm kinda tired of only being able to access online (and even then I'm unfortunate enough to not have it available for my games :( ) for my DSi at my house. It almost defeats the point of it. Surely a handheld console should the ability to connect with anyone, anywhere?

24. joattila Tuesday 16th Mar 2010 at 20:30

It is not realy fair for some people that there's new ds's comming out every year.
    I don't think this 3g is a good idea, because it probably will cost money, or the console's price will double.

25. Laughlyn Tuesday 16th Mar 2010 at 20:57

i always thought that with the SD card slot then sum kind of sim card adaptor could be used.
    O2's unlimited internet PAYG sim would be great with 3g support. and u could access online games and internet no matter where u are.

26. layton lover Tuesday 16th Mar 2010 at 21:14

I have had no troubles with the current DS internet, apart from the web browser being a tad slow, but i was expecting that.

27. GeniusTheMisfit Wednesday 17th Mar 2010 at 03:41

I totally agree with this. I'm glad I decided to read some of the comments before I posted, because I would have written a lot of this.

I'm still hoping they do a virtual console for DSi. With all the new talk of a DS successor, maybe they'll implement that feature in the new DS. It's just TOO GOOD an idea for Nintendo to not do a DS virtual console. They have to. I demand it. Now!

28. Piplup Wednesday 17th Mar 2010 at 17:44

That sounds a lot like the PSP...

XD

29. capmanchris Wednesday 17th Mar 2010 at 19:34

Yes! strangely i can only play dsiware games online on my dsi and no ordinary ds games on it? All because my internet has different security settings. We need 3G ASAP! But a GPS is just pointless

30. GeorgeWood Wednesday 17th Mar 2010 at 20:19

why do we need another ds? there are already 4 on the market

There may already be 4 but they haven't included some vital features to make it the ultimate experience. Admittadly, you would have though they would have got it right 4th time, but I suppose they are just trying to get more money as all bussiness's do.