Nintendo 3DS: What we'd like to see

Five ideas for Nintendo's new handheld

Well, well, well. It's been quite the day. In case you hadn't seen today's big announcement, Nintendo has officially announced the 3DS, a brand new handheld that will offer 3D gaming without the need for glasses.

This news has got ONM Towers buzzing, with everyone and their dog (not that we have animals in the office) chucking in their own tuppence worth about how they think it'll work, what they'd like it to do and what games they'd like to see on it. So, before I hand you the same opportunity, here is my own wish list.

The Hardware

The 3DS has already been confirmed to be backwards compatible with DS and DSi games, so that also confirms two things about the hardware: there will be at least two screens again and there'll be at least one touch screen. The DSi's cameras will be back too, because Nintendo specifically stated that the 3DS will include support for all games "including the ones for DSi". So...

1. GameCube-style graphics

I'm sure we'd all agree that it would be nice for the graphics to get a boost. Yes, the DS does a great job as it is, but the visuals are the one area where it could be improved. Give it GameCube-era graphics and you'll be able to open up a whole new world of handheld possibilities, especially with the 3D display. Also, imagine a range of classic GameCube games re-released on handheld and in 3D. I'm talking Super Mario Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion, Super Smash Bros. Melee or Wind Waker.

2. Lenticular technology?

As for the 3D itself, just how are they going to manage this without glasses? I'm a bit of a 3D effects buff, and I reckon they could use lenticular technology. It works in a similar way to those pictures you can get where you tilt the page and the image either changes or looks 3D. This technology has come on in leaps and bounds and it might be the way Nintendo chooses to go, though it might still be a bit too pricey to manufacture and that wouldn't really go with Nintendo's mantra of cheap, affordable gaming.

Either way, it's going to be very interesting to see what Nintendo reveals at E3. People might think today's announcement ruins the surprise but what Nintendo has done is actually very clever in my opinion. By not showing anything at all everyone's going to be talking about the 3DS by June, and owners of other systems who wouldn't have paid much attention to Nintendo's E3 conference will now be tuning in to see exactly how they're going to pull this off.

The Games

3. Pokémon 3D

As regular followers of my blog will know, I'm ploughing through a very popular game just now, a game which is taking over every free minute of my life. So, as soon as I started thinking about possible 3DS games, one thing immediately sprang to mind. Pokémon. We already know there's a fifth generation Pokémon game on the way. Could it be that it's coming to the 3DS?

I hope so. Imagine if the next proper Pokémon game was in 3D? When an opponent chucks a Pokéball, the Pokémon could burst out of it in front of your face! It could also offer potentially much better graphics than the likes of Platinum and HeartGold. It would be a sure-fire way to shift millions of 3DSes. We could find out more about this soon when CoroCoro magazine reveals more details on Pokémon the fifth generation.

Previous 1 2 Next page

Comments

1. Onna76_NL Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 11:59

I'm against 3D, people with glasses ever thought what it'll do to their eyes when playing games in 3D all the time? People with chronic headaches and sensitive to migraines? I'm one of them with all these issues, so no buy considering the 3DS for me. Its game over then. I want anything, except 3D, is that too much to ask?

2. FrostyLemon Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 12:03

Pikmin 3 on the 3DS? Move your little 3D pikmins around using the stylus. Makes perfect sense to me...

3. King Slazo Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 12:04

Asides from the obvious (Pokémon, Mario, Zelda, Metroid etc) what I'd love to see are some new franchises from Nintendo that truly show what is possible with the technology. Something that will transcend time and will still be talked about in the next decade and beyond, like Nintendo's current franchises.

And Picross. You can never have enough Picross.

4. Jweather Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 12:10

Super smash bros DS...that is all :D

5. Hylian_Grouch Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 12:17

still needs the tilt functions and bigger screens. 3d always fails at the edge of the screen, so more area makes it work nicer. im thinking dsxl size, but with slightly bigger screens again due to the fact that the buttons have been moved

6. Moriartyx Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 12:23

Without intending to sound rude, because I am genuinely curious - doesn't just playing regular games cause eyestrain and trigger migraines? My Mum can't look at my DS screen for any prolonged period because it gives her a migraine (she's photosensitive) and I know that after hours of obsessive play my eyes (already impaired) want to crawl out of their sockets and kill me for hurting them. Will 3D contribute more to this? D: I would like to know what Nintendo are going to do about the vision-impaired, like I said on the other thread. I hope 3D works for us too, but I don't see how. :(

As for games, though, if 3D ends up being okay...Pokémon certainly (imagine places like the Distortion World in 3D...), Mario and Link/Zelda are a given on any Nintendo console, but some weird and wonderful puzzle games like Picross (I had a go on the Picross 3D demo over the weekend and was totally hooked) and Big Bang Mini would be amazing too. I'm hoping for more inventive puzzle games, RPGs, and strategy games personally. Like the DSiWare game Starship Patrol, only you have depth and breadth to consider as well...

Hmm. Slowly coming around to the idea. But still, I hope having bad eyesight doesn't ruin this. :(

/long post is long and a post which is long

7. Hypertech Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 12:34

Me and my migraines are against the idea.

8. Onna76_NL Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 12:34

@Moriartyx no that's more than reasonable to ask of course. Not everyone experience the same kind of migraines. I don't have it when using the DS, but I did get a lot of migraines when I had my smaller LCD TV with 60hz. Last year I bought a bigger TV with 100hz and notice quite the difference. Except game screens which moving really fast or are close on the screen, or have annoying camera movements (FFXIII for instance) my eyes are still very sensitive to that and should be carefull no to play those type of games too long or else yes, headache is on the way. I'm also having one lazy eye which also effects all this. Its weird when I play 3D games on the PS3 I experience more problems than when I play them on the Wii, but I find 2D games to be somehow more pleasant for the eyes, or games with a camera more away from the character like in SMG.

9. Shaun2005 Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 12:34

What I think is needed before new graphics.

Analogue Sticks

Some games tried to fix this on the DS with on screen controls. That's not good enough - it never was. We need TWO (Yes, that's one more than one) analogue sticks to have full control of the game. Before someone wheels out the "The touch screen if its dual touch will be good enough" line - it's not. Prolonged gaming on the Iphone is a nightmare and epic games have been ruined by seemingly backward control schemes.

Come on Nintendo, do what Sony and Apple failed miserably to achieve.

Flash Memory Internally

The DSi plugged alot of holes in this one but what the DS really needs is to take the fight to the Iphone. Allow flash memory - let us put our games onto the console without having to lug around endless cases or boxes to switch games.

Media Support

Speaking of internal memory - why not allow us to turn the DS into a true multimedia platform and store music/photos on the console itself? SD Card support is fine but I want a complete media solution - the DS always appealed in this area but it always shyed away from it. Give your DS franchise a chance to compete beyond just gaming - it needs this to survive.

10. 1singie Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 12:35

i'm glad of this news, the ds should go out on a high, still selling sucessfully etc. i fully trust the big N to deliver once again, they've been doing it for 25 years!!!

11. Onna76_NL Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 12:35

Me and my migraines are against the idea.

Good to know I'm not the only one, I've written an E-mail to Nintendo America to write my concerns about this. I only wished they didn't announce now and show off with the handheld in July (or is it June?) which is a quite long road ahead of us.

12. Shaun2005 Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 12:37

Me and my migraines are against the idea.

Surely the sooner they announce something like this, the better as you're less likely to invest in (soon to be) outdated tech?

13. Onna76_NL Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 12:43

Me and my migraines are against the idea.

The sooner the competition like a Sony can jump right on it... Nintendo is never like this, announcing something long before a game convention when they show off their new product.

14. Laughlyn Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 12:59

any FPS would be interestign to see running on it in 3d. adding more depth to the game.

picross 3d in actual 3d would be rather cool too.
    but if it has similar graphics power to the Gamecube (which it shd be able to accomplish) then F-Zero GX3D would be my fave.

15. SkaRR_oKi Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 13:18

SCRIBBLENAUTS 3D!!!

That would be awesome. use the D-pad to control him, the mic could pick up words and then whatever you type in would appear in 3D right in front of your eyes!

16. Colgax Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 13:20

Another DS?

C'mon Nintendo, I love you guys, but isn't this DS thing a little bit repetitive?

They were looking for something worth of a new handheld, so there it is! (Well, I can't think on something greater). I read somewhere else that "Nintendo 3DS" isn't the final name (like Nintendo Revolution and Dolphin weren't). I do hope they'll change the name. Make something different, a brand new handheld, the 5th gen of portable video games (6th with VB).

Anyway, I say YES to 3D games, but I still hope they'll find a solution for the ones with eye problems. I think they're going to find it, I mean, Nintendo isn't the kind of company that ignores some people in order to make a better product and get more money.

There are some games that just WANT to see in 3D Pokemon, Mario & Luigi RPG, Wario Land, Wario Ware and Ace Attorney (I can just imagine a 3D "OBJECTION!"), but a 3D version of Super Paper Mario (or a new SPM on DS) would be my favorite (Although I still want to see the turn-based gamestyle back on Paper Mario games) :P

17. HNF1 Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 13:24

Awesomeness. Ideas? A plenty...

18. dragalionos Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 13:30

Just about that pokemon remark, thats not gonna happen.
    The 5th gen game is already announced to be released in december (in japan obviously), so thats before the 3ds can be released

19. littlesmegger Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 13:34

I've been wanting a true 3D Pokemon title for years and years now. Why consoles feel that only Stadium based titles work on a home console I really don't know.

Hopefully this handheld may finally bring us a true 3D Pokemon exploration title.

20. littlesmegger Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 13:35

Another DS?

In Nintendo's defense, noone ever said that about the Game Boy... how many models did we have before it died compared to the DS?

Besides, if you read it properly the 3DS is a fully fledged new handheld, merely taking the brand name with it... aka the Game Boy.

21. sivlock Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 13:39

I was thinking about getting a DSi XL but I think I'll wait til this mean machine comes out :D

22. SkaRR_oKi Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 13:44

I'm not dure whether these are real, because there is no camera on them and they are meant to be compatible with the DSi, but something like this

Also, just read that the 3DS won't have Dual-Screens, but will instead have one touch screen

"It'll have two screens just like previous portables, but they'll be used in conjunction as one giant screen, according to RPAD.tv, who convinced developers to talk to them at GDC." - http://gizmodo.com/5499713/nintendo-3ds-what-we-know-so-far?skyline=true&s=i

23. DarkJelly Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 13:55

Those mock-ups are mock ups. They're from 2008. Google DS2 to discover the truth.

Also, YYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!

24. ChrisONM Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 14:00

Another DS?

That's exactly what this is though, it's not just a new DS.

I know that because it has "DS" in the title it sounds like another updated DS, but it's actually a brand new system. Sort of like the Game Boy Advance wasn't just an updated Game Boy Color.

This is a true successor to the DS, like the DS was the successor to the GBA.

To clarify:

1) Game & Watch

2) Game Boy, Game Boy Pocket, Game Boy Light

3) Game Boy Color

4) Virtual Boy

5) Game Boy Advance, GBA SP, Game Boy Micro

6) DS, DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL

7) 3DS

25. Jweather Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 14:19

Better online PLEASE! no friend codes and wap compatibility is that too much to ask?

26. Moriartyx Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 14:37

Thanks for the info :D I'm really clueless at this sort of thing, so this is all very good to know. I think I'll be demoing the 3DS when it comes out in my local game-store next year to see if it triggers the same thing; our GP is concerned that I'll get chronic migraines like mother dearest (stupid faulty genes), so. Yeah. Don't want to be triggering them early!

It will be interesting to see if the 3DS has any sort of health warning on it. :x Perhaps Chris can explain about 3D being weird to people with bad vision?

27. Hylian_Grouch Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 14:58

Just about that pokemon remark, thats not gonna happen.

you havnt read the details properly. released before march 2011 means its very likely that the next gen pokemon will be released as a launch title for this at christmas.

consumers will be doubtful of a new product so you need a new game to sell it, what better than the next pokemon in 3d at xmas.

28. neongiratina Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 15:08

Video Camera with HD and 3D support
    Mario Sunshine re-make (inevitable)
    Pokemon Colosseum re-make (Pokemon Company have new Artists)
    and every title will be played like this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5QSclrI ... r_embedded

29. ChrisONM Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 15:08

I think it'll depend on what sort of 3D they end up using. I too get headaches and migraines and am also pretty short-sighted (hence the glasses), so I'm curious to see what it'll be like.

The Virtual Boy, while great, does give me headaches, as do some 3D films if they're not calibrated properly (I once watched A Nightmare On Elm Street 6: Freddy's Dead in 3D one and my head was screaming by the end of it), but if the 3D effect used is one that doesn't put too much strain on the eyes it could be that we could all use it without any problems.

See, headaches when watching 3D stuff are caused by the two images not lining up properly. Your eyes are constantly straining, trying to focus properly and line the image up, and this in turn causes headaches. If you went to see something like Avatar in 3D in the cinema, for example, there's a good chance you might not have had a headache (as I didn't) because it was all synced up and calibrated perfectly.

I'm assuming the 3DS will be properly synced up too because if it's an inherent part of the hardware then the processor could maybe have a function that automatically creates perfectly-lined up 3D images.

We'll see though. You have my assurance that I'll be playtesting it to a ridiculous degree and posting the results on here before it comes out.

30. Moriartyx Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 15:13

Brilliant, thanks for the info! That clarifies things a lot.

Also, Mario vs. Donkey Kong - March of the Minis in 3D? I think that could be quite cool...

31. jimbob555 Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 15:22

Link isn't working. Found it through twitter though.

3D gaming? Let's hope this doesn't scare developers away like the wii is kinda doing at the moment.

32. D_C Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 15:25

I reckon it'll use eye tracking for the 3D. It'll already have a camera like the DSi, and That would probably be the easiest affordable way to use 3D on a handheld.

33. Daz_Dagon Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 15:31

Nintendo just slow down and wait for a little while. We just got the dsi xl. Oh and clearly none of you have read the nhs paperwork on vdus (visual display units). It says that it vdus cause no health problems except to people who suffer from flashing images. It can also cause headaches.

34. blublur101 Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 15:46

starwing. cookie please :lol:

seriously though, i think that the 3ds is gonna be great. i cant think of anything new for it, but im sure nintendo can. they always do.

35. Mous3y Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 15:47

It's been 5 years since the original ds since then we've had upgrade after upgrade after upgrade. Nintendo is turning into a money grabbing company and yes I know they all are but usually we have a bit of a rest inbetween consoles! This is getting ridiculous now.

36. Dan-the-Wii-man Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 15:59

I still want one big bendy screen...

37. Moriartyx Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 16:16

I still want one big bendy screen...

Or something like this (which I saw in Earth: Final Conflict ten years ago now and still think it looks cool):

Only with a bigger screen, obviously. You could have the controls on either side, and the screen folds away which a) protects it and b) makes it pocket sized, but still with a big screen!

38. bobbyy29 Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 16:24

Galaxy. Galaxy. Galay. NO SOZ. Galaxy.
    Great 2.5d game . we all love it. add another 0.5d . I would quite happily take it to bed with me. Tis not gunna happen mind but a 3d mario platformer would be great!
    Also have a different game card so the ds one is at the bottom for ds games and accsesorys like the GBA slot on the ds/dsl. Then have a 3ds slot on the top. It will probably need more memory any way for 3d grafx so a bigger game card.
    And to hell with gc grafx why not wii or even HD. surely hd should be a must if they are doin 3d. any way hd grafx with lenticular effect will look just about the grafx of the gc.
    AND let us trans fer dsi ware to it PLEASE.
    And before anybody else asks YES IT IS A BRAND NEW CONSOLE!
    Woah thatsmy longest post ever that 3DS thing must be SWEAT(plz let it get rid of the ds title )

39. Fredsterr Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 16:26

OMG 3D mario sunshine - amazing

40. ILoveWii Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 16:30

Me and my migraines are against the idea.

They've not officially revealed it in America so expect nothing.

41. Mmmyeah Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 16:34

i just have one thing to say. this is why nintendo will always be the worlds greatest games company.

with everyone saying about the ds sequel: i want better graphics, touchscreens, motion control ect. and as i expected they have done something truly unprecedented and will probably blow all our minds like they have so many times in the past.

3d in the palm of your hand, i am in awe. this hasnt5 been done before and nintendo will go down in history for this, even more so if they beat sony to this with their ps3, if anything this will speed up sony in their efforts to make 3d.

42. Heroofhyrule Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 16:44

I hope they make the 3D entirely optional, because I'm not really interested in 3D.

43. WiiStation 360 Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 16:45

sweet can't wait for E3 to fing out more :lol:

44. Dragonfree97 Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 16:52

As the Seventh Generation of Video Game Consoles draws to a close...

1) One single touch screen.
    2) A full... shall we say Operating System? Like the iPhone?
    3) NO FRIEND CODES.
    4) Improved Graphics
    5) Avatar-quality 3D
    6) Improved Sound (c'mon, i want to be able to listn to my music without converting it)
    7) Transfer of DSiWare games.
    8) 3DS Virtual Console
    9) If the camera's there, IMPROVE THE PICTUURE QUALITY
    10) Flipnote Stu3Dio.
    11) If DSi Sound returns, let me transfer my recordings to an SD please.
    12) DS game and 3DS game slots in a more bully-proof position please,
    GAMES:
    Super Mario Galaxy 3D
    Zelda
    3D POKEMON!!!

45. Zorganist Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 16:52

I'm going to be the first in with RTS!!!!

It's guaranteed to have touch-screen capability (since it's compatible with DS and DSi software) which repalces the mouse easily and should have at least Gamecube graphics (although i've heard it colud be as much as HD-720p level) it should be able to handle a fully-3D environment with polygon-based units (instead of sprites, like Advance Wars).

A minimap and permanent HUD could be on one screen, with the the main game displayed on the other, with extra HUD elements (depending on what unit/building you have selected) appearing as needs. Even bettger it everything is touch-sensitive.

I'm not sure about really big, time consuming games but smaller, skirmishy type ones could work really well. Starcraft Portable, anyone?

46. EveA Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 16:54

Seriously, try having astigmatism. One of my eyes sees better than the other one so when wearing the two-color 3D lenses, i always see more of one color. Therefore, not seeing 3D, and getting killing headaches. If the 3DS uses similar technology then I will be one angry consumer.

Also, if they're using motion sensing technology as I saw in an interview that they would be for the DS's handheld successor, then surley that takes the portable element out of the DS. What I always loved was the fact that you could take it anywhere. But now you're hardly going to be waving your arms about on the tube.

47. yolkboy Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 17:01

Me and my migraines are against the idea.

Which makes me think that Ninty have something up their sleves. And as for the worries about the 3D - after the virtual boy its not likely they will make that mistake. They say they aren't using the glasses, so maybe the old version of 3D (its been knocking about for donkeys years now( won't be used. and something completely different will be in its place. Starfox. Do I get that cookie now?

48. neb14549 Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 17:05

zelda 3ds

49. Dragonfree97 Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 17:13

Another idea for this system would be to have a game, in the same vein as EVE Online, with 3D and you can go around all the planets and stuff and itd be really cool. Like.

50. ProMac Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 17:18

As the Seventh Generation of Video Game Consoles draws to a close...

1) One single touch screen.
    2) A full... shall we say Operating System? Like the iPhone?
    3) NO FRIEND CODES.
    4) Improved Graphics
    5) Avatar-quality 3D
    7) Transfer of DSiWare games.
    8) 3DS Virtual Console
    9) If the camera's there, IMPROVE THE PICTUURE QUALITY
    10) Flipnote Stu3Dio.
    11) If DSi Sound returns, let me transfer my recordings to an SD please.
    12) DS game and 3DS game slots in a more bully-proof position please,
    GAMES:
    Super Mario Galaxy 3D
    Zelda
    3D POKEMON!!!

Pretty much all this. May I add Analog nubs like the PSP's 'cept 2 of them (What PSP owners have been begging for). Two Multi-Touchscreens. Memory card slots (not just SD, all or most of them). Internal memory (8/16GB will do). What developers have been asking for and Tilt control. Oh and Wind Waker :D

51. wombat samurai Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 17:20

As thrilled as I'd be to see a new wave of Nintendo’s finest appear on a new console, what really made the DS so fabulous was its slew of new, niche and inventive games which came from relatively humble beginnings. 3D gaming could be pretty great, but as it stands it's purely an aesthetic quirk, and so for a game's machine it's a gimmick.

I've no doubt that some developers will come up with ingenious ways to use the technology that really improved their games, but I think for many games it simply won't be necessary, and will therefore be more trouble than it's worth.

I also worry that an increase in graphical capabilities will further squeeze smaller developers - naturally it's more work and if they're not up for it they may take their business elsewhere. I also hope we'll continue to see a good selection of 2D games being produced - to me I think this was a vary important element in the DS's capacity to provide variety. I think the download service could play an integral part in this. If Nintendo handle it right they could effectively allow developers to continue making DS titles and release them through a sort of 3DSWare service. A virtual console would also be a major plus.

I hope Nintendo aren't putting all their eggs into the 3D basket, but I expect they've still got tricks up their sleeve. E3 should be good this year.

52. aceowen Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 17:20

imagine dead space on this ''3ds'' the necromorphs would right on front of you! best wear o poop sack! but better still my vision of mph2. nintendo you pushed me away and now your pulling me back. your like girlfriends!

53. Moriartyx Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 17:21

Yeah, no to Motion Control for me too, thanks :|. It's okay when you're in the living room with the Wii Remote and having a laugh with your friends, but on the train or in the classroom before class or something? ...Eh. The small screen would make it really hard as well, if you're having to hold your hand in front of it. You wouldn't be able to see what you're doing.

And people are getting a little unrealistic with their expectations now. Avatar-esque 3D and HD graphics? If they've only just managed it in films, I doubt they'd be able to shove the technology into a handheld console by Christmas 2010 or March 2011. o.0

54. clarkie123 Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 17:23

Hardware-wise I think there needs to be an analogue stick of some sort.
    EDIT: CVG are reporting rumours that it will indeed have an analogue stick, as well as tilt tech and vibration.
    Link: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/ar ... ?id=240140

55. bouncer0304 Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 17:33

I think it sounds interesting. The thing with nintendo is that they always announce the unexpected. Remember when the ds was announced and lots of people said it would fail? It's now one of the best selling consoles and is soon to take the crown off the ps2 if the sales continue. Remember people laughing at the wii's name and the motion control? It's also selling really well and people can't wait for the new zelda wii and super mario galaxy. There is a consern that it will be like the virtual boy and fail, however, i believe nintendo would have learnt from their mistakes and will make sure that it works for everyone (i.e those who suffer with headaches from 3d) as they wouldn't want to leave anyone out. Chris has stated that he suffers with headaches, so if he can withstand a brutal testing marathon, then the rest of us should be okay (who uses their without taking breaks anyway? (apart from the onm team when they have only two days to review a game and have to play it without getting any sleep/eating/cry tears of blood etc all for our benefit?)). I would like to see:

Beeter graphics (think this one will definatly happen)
    No friend codes (i understand nintendo wants everyone to be safe but the codes are too fidley and need to go)
    Make it an all round entertainemt system (plays videos, music etc) but do the one thing the psp can't- have skype but actually do it so the camera works with it! (you can buy a seperate camera but it doesn't work with skype for some insane reason)
    It needs to have some memory
    When it is released, it needs to have some launch games (maybe mario/zelda?). I haven't upgaraded from my ds lite and think that for a system which has been out for a year not to have some exclusive titles is a bit silly (i am fully aware that there are dsiware titles but i'm talking about games that are bought in the shops).
    It MUST have a virtual console! There are too many good tiitles missed out because people can't play them. I think this is the reason why one hasn't been set up before as they want it for this ds.

This is something that will have to be seen before anyone passes judegment on it. The name is growing on me (i just hope they don't give it a stupid name like ds panther!). I'm midly excited at the mo.

56. 3DDCaptinJ Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 17:34

have a egronomic design so you can still play ds games.E.G kepp two screens and buttons or have the device as just one big screen and maybe some buttons and the screens folds without a hinge magicly.

The camera resolution needs to be at least 3.2 megapixels (as the iphone has that resolution) and have a flash.I'm pleaing it to be at least 1.3 mp for the front one as well.(with a flash of course)

The operating system could be ninendo's own,android or symbyan.Android and symbyn (well,at least the upcoming version) are compleately open soures.

Use some sort of screen technoligy so that some games aren't piexllated.While i'm on the subjet of screens,it needs to be at least 4 and a half inches,use LED backliting and has a scrachn resitant cover.

Have tilt technoligy and 1GB,2GB,4GB,8GB,16GB,32GB,64GB and 128GB versions.(mabye a bit too many.)

I'd like it to have 3g (HSPA+ and HSUPA),wi-fi,gps,buletooth v3 and WIMAX(4G).

And,most importantly,it'll have a micro sd slost and has a phone built in.

NO FREIND CODES and improved grathics are a must and have a DS,GBA and 3DS slot.

....wow,that's one powerful (and i bet expensive :( ) gaming consle.

57. bowser boy Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 17:35

oh come on. they're milking it completely now first the xl and now this! anyway my eyes hurt just playing normal games for a long time

58. nintendorama Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 17:41

i think it should be more involved in media. don't get me wrong it is a gaming console and nintendo don't want it to be the next i phone etc but they already have the images and sound sorted. what about taking videos or watching tv or films on it? it would be great! the camera could also have a flash on it this time. i hope they make it the same size as the original dsi too.

pokémon on 3ds=awsome

59. capmanchris Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 17:44

hope it has a switch to turn off the 3d as 3d gives me headaches (as i found out while watching avatar for 3 hours)

60. Heroofhyrule Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 18:07

What on earth are you talking about? This is an all new console.

61. Locarii Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 18:27

Just about that pokemon remark, thats not gonna happen.

Errm, not true.
    Game Freak has its hand on the new development kit for the 3DS. 5th gen will be on 3DS. 3DS is predicted that it may come out in decmeber. Possible release title? If it is, I'll buy it. If not I'll wait till 5th gen is released.

Yeah, thats right, I mainly buy The Nintendo handheld for pokemon.

Ah man though, 3DS Pokemon would be awesome.The graphics we see in Soul SIlver would be so pretty at different angles! I hope they don't change game mechanics to much, I don't want 3D to affect the way I play to much. It could be nice for solving puzzles though. *prays for release date*

62. pineco7 Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 18:43

3D Pokemon

Better Online Play

Analogue Stick

63. Erdogan44 Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 18:50
  64. Shaun2005 Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 19:01

3DS footage.

No its not...

65. Jman2401 Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 19:07

:D :D :D :D :D WOW THIS AMAZING. ITS LIKE A WISH COME TRUE. I hope its not like virtual boy. was that disappointing

66. Jman2401 Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 19:10

67. GeorgeWood Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 19:17

As soon as I heard about the 3DS' release I was like 'I WANT IT!!!'

68. WesFX Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 19:49

This whole thing's got me down, all because of the 3D screen(s). First, I should say it's not something I wanted, and I still don't.

Besides that, I can't help but think it's going to drive up the price all by itself. That means if they want to throw in the better graphics, they can't. And for the simple fact that the 3D is the screen itself, I don't think we'll be getting a pixel resolution increase, because (and I'm assuming) a higher resolution 3D screen would increase in price exponentially, not linearly.

So, even if they manage to squeeze in better graphics at an affordable price, it will most certainly come at the cost of the one thing I was most hoping for with the next DS; better cameras.

69. Paper Luigi Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 19:49

Wow this is getting out of hand, 3 different DS' in a few months? im going of Nintendo tbh.

70. WesFX Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 20:00

71. WesFX Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 20:11

Sorry about the double posts. Site is acting awfully funny.

72. SabreX9 Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 20:21

well,im probably the most annoyed here,its so anoying,when i heard about the release of the DSi,i was like "yayayyayayaayayyayz"and then,my DS Lite Broke around june or april,so i couldnt get a new DS because my birthday is in september,so,september came,and got my DSi,i was then like "SUPERYAYAYAAYZ"
    and then 6 months later,the DSiXL is released,i was so anoyed,and NOW ,2 weeks later,another DS. I you could pass this message to Nintendo "YOU ARE STUPID! STOP MAKIN UPGRADES FOR YOUR CONSOLES :@ !!!!!!!"
    but whats next, a Wii that comes with a motion sensor suit??...........but seriously,its a good idea,ill'd love to play F-Zero on it,but i really cant afford it,because seriously,i think its going to be around Ł300- Ł350 !

73. kirbyman62 Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 21:14

The amount of times I've seen that DSi Camera 3d Video today....

Anyway, I really hope 3D isn't all Nintendo add (though I'm confident it won't).

74. Shadowdragonica Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 21:27

Nintendo just slow down and wait for a little while. We just got the dsi xl.

I totally agree. Im not sure about this whole 3D thing. I mean, I know this sort of technology has come a long way over the last few years or so, but it's still not the sort of thing you see in an ordinary home, like a normal TV or games console. I think that Nintendo might be in a hurry to announce that they have the first ever handheld 3D games console.

To be honest it sounds like more of a fashion statement than a proper hardcore handheld. Just something to show off with.
    People who are excited cus they just got the dsi or xl, will now be sad, bcus their new handhelds are now already old news, bcus a new console is already on it's way to steal the spotlight.
    I think nintendo should wait a while before releasing this. I mean, at least wait to develop the technology further, so that they can truly perfect it and let it be something really worth getting excited about. As Daz_Dagon said, we've just had the dsi xl, and we still haven't had time to properly enjoy that, before nintendo announces a new console.

Nintendo, please!! Let us catch our breaths back, this is a bit too much!!

75. Light Yagami Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 23:06

I don't like how some people are reacting as if Nintendo are further milking the DS. Just face it, if it didn't have "DS" in the title, you wouldn't feel that way. This isn't just an upgrade, this is like going from the Gamecube to the Wii, not the Dsi to the XL.

76. jimdigby Tuesday 23rd Mar 2010 at 23:50

Any confirmation on dsiware transfer ONM guys? :)

77. smalldude070 Wednesday 24th Mar 2010 at 00:10

Nintendo aren't milking the DS with this console. And why are people complaining about all the new consoles when the point is to own just one of them? Nintendo have said they're catering towards different gamers needs with each version. And you're complaining about each new release like you MUST go out and buy each update - the DSi and DSiXL are exactly the same, why anyone NEEDS to upgrade from the DSi to the XL boggles me.

HOWEVER. 3DS!!! A brand new console :D.

All I ask is for graphics that better the PSP and iPhones - an online service similar to xbox live but for the first time on a portable console - maybe still implement friend codes, but once added a person as a friend on the CONSOLE itself rather than a game you can play them online on any game you'd like? Much easier. Also voice chat through built in microphone - an ability to talk to friends while you're playing one game and their playing another - like private chats on xbox live

As for being a phone and music player and video player and rubbish, I don't care, a want a GAMES console, purely dedicated to gaming, nothing more.

78. ryancarraro Wednesday 24th Mar 2010 at 06:38

I'm slightly sceptical, but no one thought the wii or DS would work, and look at them now! :wink:

79. chocfang Wednesday 24th Mar 2010 at 07:43

People are going to be soooooooooooooooooo ripped off if they bought the DSi XL! They just bought a DsiXL for the bigger screens then they see the 3DS coming! Its just bad timing, Nintendo. Nintendo should've released it lets say next year! The DSi to the DSiXL had a lot of people complaining that the time span was too short but the time span between the release of the DSi and the DSiXL was just over a year! Nintendo have already announced it so it should be ready by Christmas. I know we're not FORCED to buy it but if we want to keep up then its sort of a money give-away. If we buy a 3DS then in a couple of months they will release a 3DS lite or a 3DSi or 3DSXL! Money money money must be funny in Nintendo's world!

80. ChrisONM Wednesday 24th Mar 2010 at 08:27

Sorry to hear about your astigmatism Eve. For what it's worth though, it seems certain that Nintendo won't use be using two-colour technology since if it doesn't require glasses you won't have the means to split the colours into 3D.

I also share your worries about the motion-sensing tech but hopefully (if it's there, of course) it'll be an optional thing much like the DS microphone. If it does have motion-sensing it probably won't be used for much more then the sort of tilt-based stuff you get on the iPhone.

You won't be expected to wave it all over the place like a Wii Remote, because the difference here is that doing this would force you to take your eyes off the screen.

81. Onna76_NL Wednesday 24th Mar 2010 at 10:27

What on earth are you talking about? This is an all new console.

Releasing 3 handhelds in less than three years new or not is what's called milking out as Nintendo expect people to buy DSiXL at first and buy their new platform in less than a year. That's what is called milking out.

82. Nintendo Boy Wednesday 24th Mar 2010 at 11:18

The Friend Code system should die, It's a slow method to adding people. Maybe have an ID system like XBL and PSN.

I agree with 3D Pokemon and Mario games, Although i was thinking of buying a DSi XL...

I'm thinking of keeping my DSi for now, and buying the '3DS' when it comes out.

I'm also hearing rumours that the 3DS will have an anologue stick; If this ends up being true, I will be happy. Maybe have an Anologue stick, AND a D Pad like a PSP?

83. MetroidAzura Wednesday 24th Mar 2010 at 13:19

These are probably never going to happen, but this is what I would like to see:

1] More than one cartridge slot I really hope they use multi touch technology, God knows how many times my pinky finger has touched the screen while using FlipNote Studio and the screen think's I've drawn a line to the side.

84. dragalionos Wednesday 24th Mar 2010 at 14:58

Another DS?

*Sigh*

As they probably already said a hundred times, its not another DS! It's the successor and is the same as the DS was to the Game Boy. It's just unfortunate that they called it "3DS" which confuses people. (although im pretty sure there not gonna stick with this name)

85. Onna76_NL Wednesday 24th Mar 2010 at 15:53

New handheld or not, the fact they release a new device within only a year after the release of the DSiXL is for most a rip off anyhow. I mean, the regular DSi doesn't have its own specific games yet except for the online games via the DSiWare.

Well I've decided to just wait and see what happens and what kind of news will flow over the internet in the upcoming months, though I stay sceptic for the time being.

86. nintendorulz Wednesday 24th Mar 2010 at 16:44

Tilt control games like on the iphone a brand new billy hatcher game would be great for that.

87. nintendorulz Wednesday 24th Mar 2010 at 16:44

88. pokemaniac 212 Wednesday 24th Mar 2010 at 16:58

Its unlikely that the 5th gen of pokemon will be for the 3DS since the games are out in Japan by the end of the year, while the 3DS isn't out until a few months after that. However it is likely that the 3rd version will be for the 3DS.

As far as what I would like is concerned I just want classic Nintendo games and would rather the 3D was used only when it would benefit the experience and not be shoehorned into games like motion controls are on the wii.

89. Jman2401 Wednesday 24th Mar 2010 at 17:11

now im afraid if the risk of health is high but its kinda worth it

90. Jman2401 Wednesday 24th Mar 2010 at 17:16

now im afraid if the risk of health is high but its kinda worth it

oh yeah migrane head aches are a good reminder of vb (virtual boy)

91. Redfish20 Wednesday 24th Mar 2010 at 17:37

use Nintendo magic so that you can see the screens in direct sunlight without using up the battery in seconds.

automatically downloads onm podcast each month :D

be able to buy videos for it or something (as i said i would not by another console after wii and used the music player excuse for dsi).

3d starfox or metroid where laser fly out of the screen and into YOUR FACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

92. MetroidAzura Wednesday 24th Mar 2010 at 18:01

automatically downloads onm podcast each month :D

I would love both of those features, or how about streaming of Nintendo exclusive stuff, like the Nintendo Channel, but on the fly, using the 3G tech supposedly going in it.

93. MrChewtoy Wednesday 24th Mar 2010 at 18:50

I can understand people who have recently bought DSi's or XL's to think that this is a bad idea, but I have a DS lite and was thinking of getting an XL in a few years, but this news has put me off that idea now. I agree the DS still has plenty life left in it yet, but am glad they announced this BEFORE I bought an XL, and not after. I just feel a bit sorry for those poor unfortunates who would rather have heard the news before purchasing an XL or DSi, but I guess that's the way the technical cookie crumbles. I look forward to the E3 announcement of it though!

94. RandomWatchMan Wednesday 24th Mar 2010 at 21:54

It must have at least two screens... or two joined together. It's backward compatible, right?

Is it possible that it will have an "3D Joysick"... a hologram of a joystick in which you move with your hands, then picked up by the camera or a NATAL-like thing?

And, if this technology continues, you know those planet holograms in Mario Galaxy? Galaxy DS? Like those sci-fi films, you stick you hand in and whizz it around... weee...

It is also a possibility that, like a small company in Japan, it can project holograms. Hmmm... even more sci-fi filmy...

It won't have a real joystick. I can guarantee that.

Where are you getting this one-screen nonsense from?

3G and GPS will be released a year later. Almost guaranteed.

Is this more of the result of Super Mario 128?

Ironically, it will come with an integrated anti-drool thing.

Internal memory? Maybe.

BUILT IN CHEESE-GRATER! NOM NOM NOM!

-Non-existent quote from Shigeru Miyamoto

95. SuperMaster97 Thursday 25th Mar 2010 at 16:32

I want pretty much the same as everyone.
    New graphics
    A whole load of cool games like Mario 3D, POKeMON 3D, Zelda 3D.
    Bigger Screens.
    I don't know but maybe it could have a DS slot like the DS did with GBA.
    Able to connect with DS or DSI.
    There are alot of other things that i won

96. EveA Thursday 25th Mar 2010 at 17:26

Lol don't be sorry, been living with it since I was three, and it's quite mild.
    Many people are showing a Japanese DsiWare title and saying this is how the 3D and graphics will work. Is there any official confirmation on this or are we mindlessly groping around in the dark?

97. Bruiser Friday 26th Mar 2010 at 23:26

I'm sceptical, I'd love to see it work and flourish, but 3D has a strange way of appearing and dissapearing randomly.

98. bobjimzelda Saturday 27th Mar 2010 at 19:51

This new console can only be absolutely amazing, but I don't think that DS and DSiWare backwards compatibility is enough. While not necessary, I do think that EVERY Gameboy game should be able to be played on this, from both cartridge and Virtual Console, although I wouldn't mind if there were no cartridge backwards compatability.

99. Groniktom Saturday 27th Mar 2010 at 21:44

well im curious to find out if both screens will be able to give out 3d effects or just one.

also dual touch screens might be cool.

and i wonder if they will make the design of the unit much different to the current ds range hmmm.

100. Scartbat Friday 2nd Apr 2010 at 15:50

Agree All this friend code online control takes the fun away of online :(

Have you every tried a 3d film with glasses on DVD its shocking I had to close my eyes.
    Fingers crossed The 3Ds will not have the same effect.

101. youngamernerd Sunday 4th Apr 2010 at 02:45

I HAVE BEEN THINKING HAT NINTENDO COULD DO WHAT MICROSOFT DID AND PUT A CHIP FOR 3D

SCRATCH THAT HORRIBLE IDEA UP THE TOP BASICALLY I DON'T WANT VIRTUAL CONSOLE ON THE DS I WANT THE CLASSIC SNES TITLES ON THE DS WITHOUT HAVING TO CONNECT TO THE INTERNET BECAUSE IT IS SO CONFUSING BASICALLY I WANT A BUNCH OF SUPER MARIO 64 DS GAMES LIKE LINK TO THE PAST COULD HAVE NEW ITEMS SUPER MARIO KART WITH SAME GAME BUT BETTER GRAPHICS IT JUST GOES ON FOREVER
    YES IM A PRE-TEEN DEAL WITH IT

102. isaacjoe96 Monday 5th Apr 2010 at 06:31

Needs accellorometer (tilt controls) imagine bonus levels on mario, where you can change gravity or just so that you can use the spin jump like on galaxy and nsmbw! After playing that then going old skool on nsmb I keep shaking my ds just befor the flag. But my other cocern is, if there is going to have to be a special screen to do 3D aspect, will the special screen be just as good playing ds and dsi games? Or will it just be a forced effort to 'move on', we can't have nintendo giving a half effort on two things (3D and 2D gaming)!

103. mariotime64 Wednesday 7th Apr 2010 at 13:52

Maybe this is why Nintendo re-licensed Luigi's Mansion...LUIGIS MANSION IN 3D that would be worth the migraines right?? Or Yoshi's Island in 3D?? I'm just wondering what this will do to my eyes if Super Mario Galaxy slightly hurt my eyes @_@ If this is just the Virtual Boy in colur i can only wonder if nintendo are going downhill with design quality x_x

104. bobbyy29 Monday 21st Mar 2011 at 07:50

Well I live in the future and I happen to know a lot about the 3DS. And for those worried about eye problems obstructing your enjoyment then if you have 2 eyes then it's safe to assume that it works.