Miyamoto: What I want to achieve before I retire

Mario creator tells ONM his plans

Shigeru Miyamoto may be 58 this year but it doesn't sound like he has any plans to retire soon.

Asked what he'd like to achieve before he retires, Miyamoto told ONM that he didn't know what he'd be doing in ten years time but he's still enjoying thinking of new ideas year after year.

"What I'll be doing 10 years from now, I have no idea," said Miyamoto. "All I can say is that I like being a snowball. Year after year I like to keep piling up ideas and know-how and experiences.

"One thing I'm sure I'd like to be working on is our efforts to make games accessible for everybody, so that every single household can take for granted that there is a game console in their house."

So as well as working on Pikmin 3, he's trying to make everyone like videogames. Wonder if he can convince Alan Titchmarsh.

Comments

1. xevilpunkx Wednesday 24th Mar 2010 at 16:12

Don't ever use the words "Miyamoto" and "retire" in the same sentence again!

I didn't realise he was 58 already, which is kinda logical actually, seeing as he's working for Nintendo for such a long time, but most Japanese people will never look older than 40 :)

2. aceowen Wednesday 24th Mar 2010 at 16:41

i believe that pikmin 3 will be for everyone. not just the ''hardcore'' and this is from a ''hardcore'' gamers perspective.

3. Sir Joe Wednesday 24th Mar 2010 at 16:52

Nintendo have plenty of creative people that I'm sure can carry on Miyamoto's legendary work when he does retire (sorry xevilpunkx). When Miyamoto retires (sorry did it again) Nintendo will live on and continue to do great work for decades to come, and we will remember Miyamoto as the greatest game creator of all time.

Update: Before I forget, to attempt to speak out against things like that clip from the Alan Titchmarsh show, an MP called Tom Watson has set up a pressure group on facebook called Gamers' Voice which aims to stop the media and politicians constantly beating up the games industry all the time, I would like to encourage everyone to join.

4. olimuckm Wednesday 24th Mar 2010 at 16:54

I thought Miyamoto was 70!
    I wonder who will take over after he ritires?
    It would possibily be his child- wait does he have a child.
    If he can get my mum into video games, anyone can get anyone get into video games!

5. Gerry-rich Wednesday 24th Mar 2010 at 16:58

The previous president for Nintendo is well in his 80's but doesn't look that bad at all.

6. Buffoonary Wednesday 24th Mar 2010 at 17:02

Words from a genius. He truly does a lot of effort into gaming and making it accessible.

Lets hope for his sake, and others, that he will not retire soon.

7. lawrencer5 Wednesday 24th Mar 2010 at 17:52

He will never retire nor die. If his is going to die, I want to die at the same time so I can continue to buy his awesome games in the next life.
    Viva Miyamoto!!

8. DarkJelly Wednesday 24th Mar 2010 at 18:03

I really think this guy's going to make Nintendo awesome; not like it wasn't already! ^^. If Pikmin 3's as good as Pikmin 2, I'll preorder it 'cause I'm ever so slightly crazy :D.

9. 142520452213 Wednesday 24th Mar 2010 at 18:19

He has achieved an awful lot already! I bet even when he retires he will still continue to have a lot of inluence over Nintendo.

And I assume you guys saw him at the BAFTAs. You are very lucky to have seen him twice, then and that interview! Did he recognise you?

10. MetroidAzura Wednesday 24th Mar 2010 at 18:26

A new Kirby title would be aimed at the more ''Casual'' audience, as well as Pikmin 3.
    Sure, Mario may look like a child friendly, ''casual'' game, but some of the latest games have been really difficult for even me, a ''HardCore'' gamer to play.

11. Mmmyeah Wednesday 24th Mar 2010 at 18:32

The fact that miyamoto will retire is a truly saddening thought. Dont get me wrong, i want him to enjoy retirement (you know, going to spain and cycling, that sort of thing) but a world without his games will be a change. Lets hope he has inspired enough people to walk in his footsteps and entertain us with great games.

12. OldGregg64 Wednesday 24th Mar 2010 at 19:48

Miyamoto's retirement will be a sad day indeed, but the most aggravating thing about this article was the link to that Alan Titchmarsh clip.

The shrill,shrew-like woman, the agreeing audience made up entirely of grandmas, the fact that they just didn't listen! It made me more violent, than any amount of Call of Duty.

13. Ahiru77 Wednesday 24th Mar 2010 at 20:00

I was hoping he was going to say that he wanted to surpass Ocarina of time with the new Zelda game...

nawwwww....

Yeah japanese people live forever, but it will be a very sad day if he did retire. >_<

14. mariosmum Wednesday 24th Mar 2010 at 20:18

He has already made nintendo awesome.

15. Heroofhyrule Wednesday 24th Mar 2010 at 20:33

The only person that actually made sense on that video was the editor from CVG, as nobody else seemed to know a thing about video games (remembers bit where Alan Tichmarsh claimes that video games don't have ratings)

16. nintendood Wednesday 24th Mar 2010 at 20:52

He's 58?! Wow, that makes me feel old as it seems like it was his 50th birthday not long ago.

The world of gaming will be a much sadder place when he's gone.

Though perhaps recently his ideas haven't been on top form. For example, Wii music, and the vitality sensor, and wii fit, though the latter sold loads so I'll let him off.

17. Laughlyn Wednesday 24th Mar 2010 at 22:51

It'll be a strang era in gaming once he retires, its the same with everything, most Man Utd fans and probably most the football world will find it strange when Alex Ferguson retires from the club.

Having someone for so long that makes such an impact on a company will surely be missed when the time comes for them to leave.
    its one them weird things where al think 'hmmm will my son n daughter get chance to experience a brand new mario game when they get older' (boy will be 16 and girl 11 in 10 yrs time)

For me the day miyamoto leaves nintendo will be liek the day i was told there wasnt a santa, all my life theres been this guy making all the games i love, i just hope when he leaves, the magic of his creations doesnt disappear like the magic of xmas day has.

18. HNF1 Wednesday 24th Mar 2010 at 22:55

We're with you all the way, Shigsy! "NINTENDO 'TIL I DIE!", as it were.

19. dizzy boy Wednesday 24th Mar 2010 at 23:49

i think that shigeru won`t fully retire for a long time yet.
    he`ll probably just take a smaller roll, and focus on being a creative consultant, and allow somebody else to take over his other duties at nintendo.

20. Funkymunkz Thursday 25th Mar 2010 at 00:46

Well on average, most Japanese people live to about 93 cos there's supposed to be really good health care and such. I wonder if that's all his own hair still... :?

21. Onna76_NL Thursday 25th Mar 2010 at 09:04

I don't think he'll ever fully retire. At some point he'll always be connected to Nintendo and drops by to help with ideas or to bring out his own ideas, but never be a part of Nintendo again I don't think it'll ever come to his mind. Many Japanese work further far above their retirement age and since Japanese become around the age of 94-100, I don't see Miyamoto retire for at least 20 years :D

22. Onna76_NL Thursday 25th Mar 2010 at 09:06

I thought Miyamoto was 70!
    I wonder who will take over after he ritires?
    It would possibily be his child- wait does he have a child.

He has at least a daughter and if not mistaken also a son. His daughter is married with Dylan Cuthbert known from Q games. At least I don't know if they're still married but I assume they are.

23. cscarlett15 Thursday 25th Mar 2010 at 12:00

NOOOOOOOO!
    my music world has already come crashing down since michael jackson died....now my gaming world...OH WHY IS LIFE SO CRUEL :cry:

24. mailtoad Thursday 25th Mar 2010 at 16:15

NOOOOOOOO!

Ummm, he hasn't retired yet. *facepalm*

25. Mastearl Thursday 25th Mar 2010 at 17:01

that woman on that clip didn't know anything, forgive me if i'm wrong but i don't think wii sports and wii play are rasist and make little kids want to buy drugs and murder prostitutes

26. NintendoForLife Thursday 25th Mar 2010 at 17:31

He also refereed to Modern Warfare 2 as Call of Duty 2: Modern Warfare. The debate was very biased and hopefully everyone at home realised this.

27. Snizzbut Thursday 25th Mar 2010 at 18:08

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

feature plz

28. Shigeru Saturday 27th Mar 2010 at 09:58

Ol' Shigsy's gonna be making the games our grandkids will be playing!