Super Mario Kart coming to Virtual Console this Friday

Classic SNES racer on the way...

Looking for something to do over the bank holiday weekend? Why not download Super Mario Kartw hen it's released for Virtual Console in the UK this Friday.

Super Mario Kart was released for the SNES 17 years ago and some still regard it as the best Mario Kart game ever made. In fact, we rated it at number 13 in our Top 100 Nintendo Games Ever countdown.

There are 20 tracks to race on, some of which are so good they've been revived for Mario Kart Wii and Mario Kart DS. Courses include the original Ghost Valley, Bowser Castle, Koopa Beach and the super tough Rainbow Road!

There is a split-screen mode for head to head races and a fun Battle Mode.

Super Mario Kart is available on Friday 2 April for 800 Wii Points. Will you download it? You should!

Comments

1. ultra_slb Monday 29th Mar 2010 at 09:36

this is one of my favourite!!! it just... ROCKS!! Playing on the snes its still loads of fun

2. carnivine chaos Monday 29th Mar 2010 at 09:37

I already have this game on the SNES, but for all those who are sceptical of buying it due to MKDS, or MKWii being much more advanced, this game is a classic racer with some great track design and difficult one player mode. Seriously, I still haven't beaten it yet! If you're fan of racing games, this is definitely a must buy.

3. shy guy 64 Monday 29th Mar 2010 at 09:40

well i'll be
    probaley get this

4. thekwlman11 Monday 29th Mar 2010 at 10:40

Don't need this. I have it on my snes. I reccomend it though. If you don't have a snes buy it on VC!

5. ACRID Monday 29th Mar 2010 at 11:16

No ta. Got it on SNES.

Anything else available?

6. VINDALOOBALLOO Monday 29th Mar 2010 at 11:46

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally.

I've been waiting for this since virtual console became avaliable so yes, I will be downloading it.

7. WhiteDragon Monday 29th Mar 2010 at 11:57

I can not wait. I am still waiting for Yoshi's Island aswell.

8. danbish Monday 29th Mar 2010 at 12:01

Finally! What's kept Nintendo from releasing this sooner? Never mind, I'll be downloading this straight away on Friday! It gives hope for some of the other games I'm waiting for too.

Soooo Happy!! :D :D

9. toffeeman30 Monday 29th Mar 2010 at 12:51

nice to see this at last. will warn you that the computer characters cheat alot though

10. Sir Joe Monday 29th Mar 2010 at 13:05

It's about bloody time!

11. Spencer95 Monday 29th Mar 2010 at 13:45

Eugh!!! Why would I download it?!?!

Only joking!

I'm not downloading it because it's already in my SNES beside my Wii!!! :lol:

12. Ai64 Monday 29th Mar 2010 at 13:56

At last! After years of waiting, It's here.

13. mikelink2518 Monday 29th Mar 2010 at 15:03

YAY! I liked mario kart wii/ds and wanna c this 1 and 4 800 points, definally geting it :D

14. Blue Toad Monday 29th Mar 2010 at 15:04

About effin' time, is all I can say.

15. GuyWhoLikesBlue2 Monday 29th Mar 2010 at 15:10

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!

that is all :D

16. Sonic Freak Monday 29th Mar 2010 at 15:11

At last! After years of waiting, It's here.

Tell me about it. Im so excited

17. ibarnaby64 Monday 29th Mar 2010 at 15:26

Or, perhaps, Nintendo were simply too lazy to think up more new tracks?

Just a thought...

18. Wiintendo Monday 29th Mar 2010 at 16:00

...........:D

Most requested personal VC game EVER

19. slangman Monday 29th Mar 2010 at 16:05

I love how this took 5 months (wow was it that long?) to come out. Thankfuly I already own this on my NA Wii so no need to download this.

20. Gavin Rozee Monday 29th Mar 2010 at 16:17

Will be downloading at 11pm Thursday night :) Been waiting ages for it to arrive. My SNES cart is all yellow and discoloured and old, ewww!

21. Fredsterr Monday 29th Mar 2010 at 16:42

Will definitely be getting this, i remember playing it on my SNES but that has recently broken :(

22. allanironmaiden Monday 29th Mar 2010 at 16:42

a definite purchase!! been waiting for years for this to be released on VC and at long last this classic has been released

23. Poke-J Monday 29th Mar 2010 at 17:08

Will not buy, just like Super Cuircit I hate that the goddang map takes half of the screen.

24. danbish Monday 29th Mar 2010 at 17:09

I have it on the SNES too but thats all packed away in the loft. Besides, it's one of the greatest games created and I really don't mind buying it again. At 800 points it's an absolute steal for such a classic! :D

25. Drakul Monday 29th Mar 2010 at 17:57

Finally. I've been waiting for this for a long time.

Now all I need is Yoshi's Island.

26. Gaming 98 Monday 29th Mar 2010 at 19:06

Nice. I got Wii points last week and I was lucky that I did. Now all we need is Starwing and Yoshi's Island.

27. thedanman64 Monday 29th Mar 2010 at 19:53

About time! I'm downloading as soon as it's avaliable! Here's hoping they release mario party and yoshi island.

28. Yoshifan007 Monday 29th Mar 2010 at 21:47

But we Still Need Yoshis island!!!!

29. FriarLawrenceIII Monday 29th Mar 2010 at 22:04

I'm not sure if i will. I really enjoyed it as a child, but if theres one thing the VC has taught me, it's that the games just aren't as good as you remember them.

Plus, The AI cheated. Alot.(i just remember them getting items that we couldn't get, and luigi having a constant supply of stars)

30. shroomer Monday 29th Mar 2010 at 22:27

I've waited for this for soooo looonnngggg.
    i sold my snes many years ago, and have longed to race mario circuit one properly again, mushrooming across the dirt, just before the finish line, and yeah the graphics will be dated but the game play is top notch. :twisted:

31. martaino Tuesday 30th Mar 2010 at 01:05

waited sooooooooooooooooooo long for this its FINALLY here was startin to think it'd never come ghost valley 1 shortcut here i come now wheres that feather :D

32. Bass X Tuesday 30th Mar 2010 at 08:49

Or, perhaps, Nintendo were simply too lazy to think up more new tracks?

Just a thought...

Lazy or not, I still welcomed the retro courses and wish for more.