Pokémon Black & White Starters: Your Say!

Your opinion on Tsutaja, Pokabu and Mijumaru...

Tsutaja, Pokabu and Mijumaru are the names on every Pokémon fan's lips at the moment. The three Black & White Starters were unveiled last week and they are the subject of much discussion. In fact, people were even giving their opinions of them when they were just silhouettes with Argetlam commenting "I'm worried as they seem EXTREMELY similar to previous generation starters, with bits copied and pasted from different sources!"

However, when the Tsutaja, Pokabu and Mijumaru were finally revealed, the reaction was (mostly) positive as fans began discussing which Pokémon they'd choose. As we revealed earlier, Tsutaja appears to be the most popular Pokémon at the moment but many of you are passionate about Pokabu and a few more have stood up in defence of Mijumaru.

Of course there are those who won't decide until they've got the games in their hands while others don't like any of them. Miseries! Read on to find out what your fellow gamers are saying about the Starters.

Tsutaja

We picked the Grass Snake Pokémon as our favourite and it seems a lot of you agree. NintendoAllStar said "Tsutaja is my favourite because its design appeals to me. It shares similarities with Treecko, which I also thought was a pretty good but its form is pretty interesting, especially the head. It's a strange choice to make it a snake with limbs. Then again Snakes began with limbs and evolved into limbless creatures. By having Tsutaja begin with arms and legs in fact would be staying true to the evolutionary process of the animal it's based upon."

Yes, it's only just been revealed but already people are talking about Tsutaja's evolution! "I just fear that Tsutaja's evolutions will become ugly snakes like Seviper or Arbok," said colgax. "If it happens, I'll just keep it without evolving it!"

nintendorulz didn't analyse it quite as much, simply saying "I think they all great. But my fave is that awesome grass snake."

Pokabu

While there are loads of Pokémon that are totally original, others such as Psyduck are inspired animals but manage to retain a look of their own. But some just look exactly like the animal they're based on. They don't even attempt to hide it. Wailord - that's a whale. Sharpedo is a shark and no one has ever wondered what a Noctowl is meant to be. Pokabu falls into this category. He may as well have been called Pigmon Pikachuuu agrees but will still be picking it nevertheless. "Pokabu ftw! Seriously they need to get some new ideas though. I mean, a pig? It looks exactly like a pig. They could've altered it a bit to make it look different. I will definitely be choosing Pokabu!"

Robbie Keane (presumably not the Spurs striker) is also planning on picking the fire pig. "It's a Fire Pig for crying out loud! You can't get any awesomer than that!"

Kirby711 thinks Pokabu is so good that it has made him break from tradition: "I usually start with Water, put this time probably Fire. Fire pigs are awesome - Maybe there will be a flying pig next."

Dark Lucario usually picks Fire types and sees no reason to change now. "I'm probably gonna go for Pokabu. I've gone for the Fire type starter since Pokémon Ruby."

Previous 1 2 Next page

Comments

1. hoshixcandy Monday 17th May 2010 at 15:05

In disagreement to all those who say Pokémon is running out of originality: HAH.

Yes, we have already got Snake Pokémon, but look around nature in reality: There are MORE than one type of snake. There are more than one type of dog, more than one type of water creature. I quite like the variety of 'mon. Just because they're not their own in their species doesn't matter. No one seemed to mind the fact we had Rattata AND Pikachu in the original 150. And let's be honest, they're both rodents.

The fire starter will probably evolve into a Hog anyway, steering away from the Spoink type pig.

And as a girl, I object to the comment about the 'AWWW' factor. Yes I think the water is cutest, but I also think Gliscor and Tyranitar are so ickle and cute - but that's not why I choose 'mon >_>'

2. Random-Hero Monday 17th May 2010 at 15:12

They are becoming worst then the Digimon.

3. gofthick Monday 17th May 2010 at 15:33

They're horrible looking, I can't even tell what they're supposed to be.

With the original starters you had;

Squirtle: A turtle-like creature, clearly a water-type
    Charmander: A reptile-like creature, clearly a fire-type
    Bulbasaur: Also reptile-like in nature, clearly a grass-type

They were simple, yet effective designs. At a push I may still be able to recount the first 151 Pokemon, although it's been a good ten years since I played Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow.

Over designed, and under inspired is the best summary I can give for these.

4. WaterMaster230 Monday 17th May 2010 at 15:39

i hate to say it but Tsutaja is definitly the coolest. i always go with the water type starter (as you might guess from my name!!) but Mijumaru is just not cool. i'll have to wait to see their evolve forms before deciding.

5. koopa-guy64 Monday 17th May 2010 at 16:15

Pah! Already otter pokemon, Buizel and Floatzel? Those are blatantly based on weasels! It's Pokedex entry actually says 'Sea Weasel Pokemon'! That makes, arguably, the water otter the most original of the three! There has NEVER been an otter Pokemon before! Not to be purposely contrary, but I'm almost certainly going to choose Mijumaru now... Pokabu looks way too happy, Tsutaja looks kind of evil... Mijumaru is both cute and easy to relate to (as he's depressed!)

To be honest, I prefer these starters, and the new Pokemon in general, to the 4th Gen for sure, Zorua is like an evil Vulpix, which is quite possibly the most awesome idea ever, and all these starters are cooler than Chimchar, who was REALLY ugly...

6. koopa-guy64 Monday 17th May 2010 at 16:16

They are becoming worst then the Digimon.

And not to be a Grammar Nazi, but it's 'worse', not 'worst', and anyway, there are some epic Digimon...

7. rjjolly Monday 17th May 2010 at 16:32

the water type looks stupid and bears a resembelence to piplup a bear and clown all mixed up

im afraid their running out of pokemon ideas

8. luxrayman33 Monday 17th May 2010 at 16:35

I like how Tsutaja looks so smug that he looks the best.I am going to pick it I bet its evolutions are going to look epic! They aren't the best starters though, not like good ol' charmander, bulbasaur and squirtle :P

9. Nin10Guy Monday 17th May 2010 at 17:01

the green guy looks like treecko the blue one looks like piplup and the red one looks like grumpig

10. ShadowofPain Monday 17th May 2010 at 17:11

So the three starter Pokemon:
    Tustaja: A Treecko, just more snake like
    Pokabu: Fuse Spoink and Pikachu and make it orange
    Mijumara: Take a Piplup, give it a shell and make it fluffy.

@hoshixcandy
    Of course there's nothing wrong with the Pokemon series using animals more than once, but when they start recycling the appearances to the point where you think that it looks like another Pokemon but with then you can see they are running out of ideas. Everyone could tell at a glance that a Pikachu and a Rattatta were drastically different in many really obvious ways.

Anyways seems like the last string of hope left is that they come up with some cool legendaries. If they fail, then there's not much point in me buying this imo

11. scott1and Monday 17th May 2010 at 17:25

They're horrible looking, I can't even tell what they're supposed to be.

With the original starters you had;

Squirtle: A turtle-like creature, clearly a water-type
    Charmander: A reptile-like creature, clearly a fire-type
    Bulbasaur: Also reptile-like in nature, clearly a grass-type

Over designed, and under inspired is the best summary I can give for these.

Oh stop complaining. If they re-used the three original you would complain, there is no way to replicate the, apparantly oh so joyous moments of choosing the originals...and plus i think you Are exagarating a little bit...it is kinda obvious the otter thing is an otter, its obvious the grass thing is a grass thing but I wonder what the pig thing is meant, I CANT possibly guess what its based on.

12. kirby711 Monday 17th May 2010 at 17:35

I don't mind them all to be honest. Along as the game works fine, I'll be happy.

13. BYL Monday 17th May 2010 at 17:52

To be honest, I actually like them. I know Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle were awesome, Chikorita, Cyndaquil and Totodile were also cool, Treecko, Torchic and Mudkip were okay and Turtwig, Chimchar and Piplup were a bit strange, but I think they've picked up a bit now.

I mean come on, when they revealed Zorua and Zoroark there was some speculation about them but now a lot of people like them, and I have a feeling it will be the same for these three.

14. wambamjewel Monday 17th May 2010 at 17:58

I love the new ideas, totally brilliant. The people complaining about them looking unoriginal, I mean yeah If you wanted the old ones back it wouldn't be a fun surprise now, would it??? Im DEFINATELY picking pokabu because I love fire types, PLUS!!!Pokabu is really happy and I think his evo will change him to a normal mood and then next he may turn MAAAAAAD!!!!!!!Lol :D, pigs are also very cute *Srs faic.*

15. Dark_Dragon01 Monday 17th May 2010 at 18:05

I like the new Grass and Fire starters, but the Water one is quite frankly rubbish. It's the third rehash of Torchic design-wise we've seen, and it's infuriating.

16. zoe1poke Monday 17th May 2010 at 18:25

They have run out of ideas what is up with the Scary blue bear, the pig i really wouldn't consider it using any strong fire type moves he might turn 2 bacon, and the snake, well is there much else 2 say

17. beserker Monday 17th May 2010 at 18:25

i'm going for the grass starter unless tthe other two have cool evo's (like and boar with huge tusks and a flaming back, and a polar bear thing with shell armour then they'd be awsome :lol: )

18. JohnWilliam Monday 17th May 2010 at 18:34

I've enjoyed Pokemon for the past 15 years, but I'll say it again, Pokemon is dead. Pokemon has gone down the route (hint, hint) that Animal Crossing did. HG & SS will keep me occupied.

19. Jamzter Monday 17th May 2010 at 18:40

Pokabu Rocks!!!

20. Laughlyn Monday 17th May 2010 at 19:06

despite how tatty n cute the water one looks i'll still choose it as my starter. i've had the water starter since Blue on my GB and i'll stick to my guns, the previous water starters all start out cute but end up looking quite impressive in their third evolution so i hope its the same with this one.

Out of all 2 tho i think th eone with most promising evolution will be the fire pig, i cant wait to see how that pans out, as for the grass one i think it has less promise, out of all of them its the only opne that looks too familiar

21. Munchlax OWNS Monday 17th May 2010 at 19:21

To the people who are complaining: beggars can't be choosers. Don't like it, don't play it, boycaott it if you must, but don't moan all over our shiny new interwebs. If you can create the biggest selling gaming franchise known to man, and keep it surviving for a decade and a half, maybe i'll listen to your ramblings.

OT, Tsujata's my favourite, but the other two are strong contenders. The evolutions are yet to come, remember...

22. PokemadKid Monday 17th May 2010 at 19:50

I normally get the fire pokemon, but Pokabu looks rubbish :( Might get the grass one, looks the best!

23. gofthick Monday 17th May 2010 at 20:07

There's an otter one?

24. mewtwolover19 Monday 17th May 2010 at 20:23

yay. my poll was mentioned. anyway, I think pokabu is thw worst. mijumaru is'nt too bad, but tsutaja is the best. why? I mean, look at his eye!

25. kieranshere Monday 17th May 2010 at 21:00

in all fairness i think these ones: http://www.justpushstart.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/starters-bw.jpg that were revealed as fake would have been more pleasing to the people who enjoy pokemon as everything ive seen ppl complain about that feature is not really present from what i can see in these images... but thats just my opinion

26. microhenry Tuesday 18th May 2010 at 06:43

Hah!

Stupid Smugleaf

27. Wii_Will_Rock_U Tuesday 18th May 2010 at 06:44

As said before, going for Pokabu. However, can't help but think the Pokemon solution for originality's become "throw new Pokemon at it until it goes away." Heart Gold and Soul Silver have got me back into the franchise, though, so miiiiight just try this one...

28. cscarlett15 Tuesday 18th May 2010 at 07:35

whoo hoo i got quoted yay me (insert happy dance)

29. cscarlett15 Tuesday 18th May 2010 at 07:40

im a 17 year old girl and im sorry my comment annoyed you i love strong pokemon too like charizard is my ultimate fave as well as lucario. lets just think on a wider demographic here at who these games are subbosed to be aimed at. and lets think about the anime too who will the girl protaganist choose?

30. doggy491 Tuesday 18th May 2010 at 08:06

Anyone notice how the thing on the blue starter looks like a dick?

31. Zoot101 Tuesday 18th May 2010 at 11:01

I've chosen the water starter every time since Red, but this time I don't think I will. It's lacking a personality. Did anyone notice how the original three starters had eyebrows?
    It sort of brought them to life a bit. I like the new grass Pokémon - it feels alive - and the fire one also is really cheerful.

Still, I'll be open to it when I see the evolutions.

32. C.T. McCarthy Tuesday 18th May 2010 at 12:08

More than likely the grass snake Pokémon although Pokabu looks kinda cool too. I fell sorry for Mijumara's unpopularity :?

33. Cyberguy Tuesday 18th May 2010 at 12:49

I like the grass snake, definitely choosing that one.

And the sea otter needs to turn its frown upside down.

And the pig, well, it's evolutions aren't gonna be good looking.

34. nintendorulz Tuesday 18th May 2010 at 16:02

Yay. My comments there.

35. Fewe Tuesday 18th May 2010 at 16:42

The thing is...
    Grass snake = Cool
    Fire Pig = Cute
    Water Otter = Awesome

I hope the fire pig will evolve into a flying pig (fire/Flying. And i think that the water evolution will have something to do with its shell on its body (maybe like armor... but i think it will be water/Ice). And the Grass snake will probs turn into a poison snake (Grass/Poison). :)

36. pokelong Tuesday 18th May 2010 at 17:32

I like the starters the grass one shows similar things to Treecko and the water one shows similar thing to Puplup.

37. shadow.x Tuesday 18th May 2010 at 18:47

Just cannot wait !

38. acheaquil Tuesday 18th May 2010 at 19:33

I think people should stop complaining about how rubbish the new starters are. They are much better than Chimchar, Piplup and Turtwig (apart from the depressed sea otter) but the other two are totally awesome!!!!!! Pokabu rules, he definitely gets my pick.

39. SuperMarioMan Tuesday 18th May 2010 at 21:16

The water thing looks like an EMO :wink:

40. vix0801 Wednesday 19th May 2010 at 09:00

Tsutaja has got to be my favourite out of these three. It looks so mysterious and mischievous. At then end of the day, Pokemon is Pokemon. They look great to me, although the water otter looked a bit like a snowman to me when I first saw the pic. I'm looking forward to seeing their evolutions though. Hopefully the evolutions won't ruin them.

41. choclate-milk Wednesday 19th May 2010 at 12:37

I quite like the fire-type, if only because it looks like a Red Panda.
    The grass-type doesn't look all that great, but marginally better than the real one.
    And what on earth is that Pig/Rabbit/Hippo/Cow thing?

Out of the real ones, my favourite would have to be Mijumaru. Depressed sea otters sound adorable.

42. Pappi Wednesday 19th May 2010 at 14:56

I actullay didn't like them at first but now I think I really like them, they may become my fav starter pokemon. I never go with water but the otter pokemon, Mijumaru is so neat looking. Heck, I may even start with all three by trading.

43. Dragongirl Wednesday 19th May 2010 at 16:00

Everyone really seems to like Pokabu :?
    He looks retarded and has a funny smell of Grumpig about him. We've had pig pokemon before! I wanted to see something interesting developing with the fire types but they just keep copying each other. " gives an evil glance towards Infernape"

Thats why I'm going for tsutaja, its just screams awesome :D

44. daiches99 Wednesday 19th May 2010 at 16:55

Don't like the new ones, I think this song sums it all up though:

45. Paramoll Wednesday 19th May 2010 at 19:15

To be honest I'm kind of gutted. They're all pretty rubbish.
    I've always gone for the water starter but there's no way I'm training a depressed otter up to be a champion.
    Am thinking will go with Tsutaja seeing as how he's the least retarded-looking
    Still. Maybe they should've stuck with the originals.

46. Ubahquiet Wednesday 19th May 2010 at 20:48

I love how people can't voice a negative opinion on here without at least one person telling them to "stop whining".

Personally, I think the only one who's actually not terrible is the Grass one, whatever his name is. The otter thing looks incredibly similar to Piplup, only uglier, and the pig just looks boring.

At least the Grass one is smug as hell.

47. mariosmum Friday 21st May 2010 at 12:06

Woo I was the last mention :D

That makes no sense. There's only been 3 animal crossing games and if you're saying pokemon is dead, why are you playing the remake of an old version?

48. Gwiifanboy Friday 21st May 2010 at 15:54

I hate it when people keep rambling on about how these starters suck or look crappy. Could you design better ones? At least Pokemon is still going strong and isn't dying out. Give these starters a chance, they look ace! When B/W comes out, I'm picking either Tsutaja(cool) or Mijumaru(awesome) =D

49. lava_princeton Friday 21st May 2010 at 17:37

i would so go go the snake! it looks so posh with its expression and stance- just like me! I usually go for the fire starter (although i couldn't resist Chikorita in Heart Gold and Piplup in Diamond) but this egotistical and devious looking snake is perfect for me!

:D Its about time they came up with a totally new game instead of just re-making older ones!

50. PsychoPikmin Friday 21st May 2010 at 18:08

I think that there hasn't been a decent grass starter since Treeko, and the snake looks like it could be just as awesome.

51. johal Friday 21st May 2010 at 18:11

Lol- game freak's ideas are running well dry. These guys look like bags of crap.

Also lolz at pokemon grey, not the most exciting colour pokemon game that will come out - but youve kind of it a brick wall there nintendo

52. nintyspong3826 Saturday 22nd May 2010 at 00:14

I'm a bit of a Water boy, and was hoping the new water starter would be a polar bear or something like that :(.
    If the final evolution is some massive angry GigaOtter though, I will be a happy trainer!

53. ShinyFire Saturday 22nd May 2010 at 10:15

I think there is real room for the evolutions of these starters. Take the snake for instance. I hope he turns out like a cobra with a Meganium-like leaf fan on his head. Or the pig. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there havent been that many pigs before,I can only think of two, whereas if i see another Pidgey, Starly or HootHoot it will be too soon.I think that when evolved he will be one big fiery hog. And of course, our crestfallen otter. Bearing in mind that many people I spoke to thought Piplup was the one who would have the least exciting evo. of the Sinnoh three. If you ask me, Empoleon is pretty damn awesome. Plus think about it. If he is similar to Buizel and co., surely he will have a great speed stat. Silver lining.
    I am also looking out for more unusual type combinations this time round. Abomasnow was a great thing, being a grass/ice. I'm thinking.....Grass/Fire, Rock/Flying, Bug/Dragon,Electric/Ice...some really out there types.

54. kiwinuva Saturday 22nd May 2010 at 12:16

yes i am a boy but i do agree with the girls mijamuru is a bit cute but i also like him as its a water type and i always go for water types because i think there strong and OSM :D :shock:

55. tomzy Saturday 22nd May 2010 at 16:04

hmm im normally one for water types, and normally think the grass look pretty crap, eg. chikorita.
    however im liking the look of ol grass snake there,
    but im not making my desisions yet, why cant you just wait till we find out more and the evolments are released?

heres a picture of what i think the final evolment of Tsutaja should be:
    note: its a bit crap.

56. Halcyon Days Saturday 22nd May 2010 at 18:37

Personally, I've always had a middle ground on starters. I usually like them all equally and neither dislike them nor love them. I have to say though, that these ones are great. I'm not going to have trouble because of mediocre-ness like usual, but because they're all so cool. People really need to give Mijumaru a chance. At least wait for full evos.

On the topic of orginality - I don-t see how the nostalgia-goggled people can call the gen 1 starters original. "Let's take a reptile and put a shell/bulb/fire on it and say its that type! Sure, the starters don't have as much room for manouver as say the pseudo legendaries as theyre bound by their typing, but at least these come from different chordatae...

Pushing for Grass/Dragon, Fire/Ground (or Dark), Water/Fighting (or Dark).

Personally my favourite thing about them so far is their fan names - Smugleaf, Pignition and Derpderp. Well, Derpderp not so much, but the other two are awesome.

My favourite fake evos:

http://joe-tachi.deviantart.com/art/Mij ... ution&qo=8
    http://delthero.deviantart.com/art/Poss ... taja&qo=42
    http://pashapup.deviantart.com/art/Poka ... kabu&qo=19

And the trainers look AWESOME O_O

57. kquigibo Sunday 23rd May 2010 at 16:40

Mijumara is so cute!
    Pokabu is slightly less cute, still, very cute
    Really don't like Tsutaja

Think I'll be choosing Mijurama! :D
    Barely anyone likes him though :(

58. Blackmario Sunday 23rd May 2010 at 18:04

I think there all pretty rubbish. (I haven't yet seen a starter that has toped Mudcip and I recon I will be dead by the time it happens) I think i will have to see what they evolve into before i decide.

59. rayquazagirl Monday 24th May 2010 at 13:32

i love pokemon, i always have. but this just takes the biscuit. bring back hoen!

60. bazzy Monday 24th May 2010 at 21:12

:cry: truth be told...i think that pokemons dying now...diamond and pearl was when it started to show...unless they can find a way to respark pokemon (eg. remake fire red/leaf green) then its gonna start to drag...seriously these new pokemon look like digimon......BUT THERES ALWAYS HOPE EH?

61. Gamesman2000 Wednesday 26th May 2010 at 15:54

I think it is great i will choose pokabu. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Please ignore this post. Too embarrassing.

62. TriforcePikachu Friday 28th May 2010 at 00:52

Look, I don't see why heaps of people are whining about this, shouldn't we just be excited to be getting a new generation of Pokemon?

Personally I think that Tsutaja is the coolest starter, although it does have a resemblance to Treeko (and Cyndaquil if you look at da head).

Mijumaru does look pretty depressed but I reckon that shell of his is gonna turn into some kind of armour (like blastoise's cannons that just appear suddenly when wartortle evolves.

And Pokabu, this guy is gonna evolve to be like a Mamoswine that just bathed in petrol and sat on a campfire. (c00l)

I reckon I'll choose Tsutaja, having never chosen a grass type. But it really depends on how the others evolve, I can see Mijumaru becoming pretty cool. Tsutaja might evolve in a similar way to tadpole's.

:D :) :shock: :lol: javascript:emoticon(':mrgreen:')

Diamond FC:0946 5798 4067
    Platinum FC:0345 6129 0366
    Heart Gold FC:5457 1879 0006

Heart Gold Team: Electivire, Gallade, Charizard, Donphan, Breloom, Kingdra.

Can't wait for:
    PKMN Black + White
    Zelda wii (even though I don't have a wii)
    Pokemon Ranger 3
    Okami 2[quote][/quote]undefinedundefinedundefinedundefined

63. lmorr Sunday 30th May 2010 at 14:30
  64. Gamesman2000 Monday 31st May 2010 at 11:44

i wonder what they look like in shiny. :?:

65. Shaliss Tuesday 1st Jun 2010 at 14:30

i am starting 2 really h8 pokemon. the names r soundin really foreign like japanesse wht happened 2 orignal names like charmander or pikachu now there very confusing names...

66. Shaliss Tuesday 1st Jun 2010 at 14:32

I agree with u m8.

67. Stanleyyork11 Tuesday 1st Jun 2010 at 18:57

I'm going to stick by my tradition of picking the grass type. I think all of the grass types look awesome. pokémon Black and White's grass type is no exeption.

68. AceAlex Friday 4th Jun 2010 at 16:38

grass snake thing who i forgot its name but i hope they change its name

69. ChocolateYoshi Wednesday 9th Jun 2010 at 19:10

I think I speak for many people when I say finally a decent looking grass starter :D

I do like the idea of a fire type pig, but the water type is a severe disappointment, it just looks like a more pathetic, downgraded version of Piplup.

But of course only time will tell, I think they are a good start but further evolutions will need to be released before I give my final verdict.

70. Zeldemon Sunday 20th Jun 2010 at 00:54

Ok the starting pokemon look weird, but who knows the rest of the game might be better

71. The 7th seviper Tuesday 13th Jul 2010 at 20:28

I am a hater of almost all grass types although tsija-whatever seems ok even his pretty wimpy 2nd evo (it has two huge pink flower petals) but still manages to look burly

72. Ballooner360 Sunday 25th Jul 2010 at 00:46

What's up with these Pokemon?! They're pathetic! Not only do they look completely stupid but they've lost the plot altogether.

Pokemon were simple, Charmander, Squirtle and Bulbasaur. These as well as Totodil and Cydaquil were the best! Minus Chikorita because who wants a cute looking 3G Pokemon?!

They're running out of ideas.

LET THE FANS CREATE THEM AND YOU CHOOSE THE BEST!
    Then they can be modified to look like the real deal.

*le sigh*