Best Mario Kart Game

You pick YOUR favourite...

It has been a topic that has been debated for more than a decade. What is the best Mario Kart game? While many gaming veterans will tell you that nothing can beat the simplicity of the original, others enjoy the dual kart racing of Mario Kart: Double Dash, while some enjoy racing online in Mario Kart Wii or DS. So when the original game was released for the first time on Virtual Console, it seemed the perfect time to ask you what is your favourite Mario Kart game of all time. Here are the results!

Winner: Mario Kart Wii (Wii, 2008)

We say: Mario Kart Wii is actually one of the most enjoyable racing games we've played and may even be a contender for the title of 'Best Mario Kart Ever'. Almost everything that annoyed us about past Mario Karts was tweaked or fixed (mushrooms have more oomph and give a much better speed boost, you can turn off all items in multiplayer races to focus on racing and dispel that annoying 'blue shell syndrome', you can now easily throw weapons forward or back by pressing up or down on the D-Pad and so on), and it's fantastic fun.

You say: Mario Kart Wii is the most fun I've had on my Wii. Everything is well-rounded, the online mode is addictive, split-screen is fantastic and the single player cups had me going for quite a bit of time. - superwii

2nd Place: Mario Kart Double Dash (GameCube, 2003)

We say: The moment Nintendo went a bit Wacky Races. The idea of having two racers in one vehicle (these were no longer go-karts) was one that would never be repeated but any Mario Kart fan could enjoy the insane courses and character specific power-ups like the giant Chain Chomps and shells.

You say: Double Dash was the long-awaited step up from Mario Kart 64 and I think it was brilliantly executed. A great visual and audio improvement, with a great range of characters and vehicles. The two-player system allowed for more enjoyable co-op racing and battling. This should be remade for the Wii with online play. - Dooby

Third Place: Mario Kart DS (DS, 2005)

We say: From the all-important handling to the imaginative track design, from the visual flair to the vast selection of game modes, this is a title that ticks many more boxes than most, and proves to be one of the best Mario Kart games ever. And that's saying something. It was also the first Mario kart game to introduce online gaming.

You say: It can be played anywhere either on your own or with friends. It had great, easy controls and great tracks and characters. - The-Rotinaj

Joint Fourth Place: Mario Kart 64 (N64, 1997)

We say: Mario Kart 64 is still as addictive, exciting and hilarious as it was when it was first released over ten years ago. There are eight characters to choose from and 16 courses, each one a classic. Ranging from Wario Stadium, with its huge jumps and dirt track, to the multi-routed chaos of Yoshi Valley, every course is dripping with character and personality. It's also one of the best examples of Nintendo multiplayer gaming.

You say: No Mario Kart game can hope to beat the awesomeness of the N64 entry. This was the game that got me into Nintendo 11 years ago. So many memories of Rainbow Road and the like that can't be beaten by any other game in the series today. - Gaming 98

Previous 1 2 Next page

Comments

1. Mcpilch Saturday 22nd May 2010 at 09:55

i felt that super circuit also handled pretty poorly, or maybe that was my driving skills. but Cheesland I still maintain was one of the best MK circuits of all time :P

2. nintendo_guy Saturday 22nd May 2010 at 09:56

Mario Kart Wii was in 2008, I think. Also, Double Dash!! should have won.

3. Andy88 Saturday 22nd May 2010 at 10:22

If we ignore Super Circuit, this list is pretty much the complete reverse of my own preferences :? , but whatever, that's just my own opinion.

4. Mart2006 Saturday 22nd May 2010 at 10:38

I've never played Super Circuit but I reckon it looks OK, but has been overshadowed by the likes of Mario Kart Wii and DS

5. HNF1 Saturday 22nd May 2010 at 11:01

No. It's a sham and disrespectful to the series to say MKWii is the best MK game. It had the potential and most of the stuff was there, but it failed to truly deliver one of the things which matters most - fair, competitive, and properly fun gameplay.

Also, did ONM fix this, because they seem to have deleted the thread and last time I checked DD was winning?

6. Kazuya Mishima Saturday 22nd May 2010 at 11:09

Mario Kart Wii was in 2008, I think. Also, Double Dash!! should have won.

i agree, double dash was by far the best IMO and i thought super mario kart aswell as mario kart DS were the 2nd best.

i have never liked mario kart wii because now they have just turned it into a family game and they could of improved it by having 2 player tournaments.

7. PokemadKid Saturday 22nd May 2010 at 11:39

I don't see how MK 64 is 4th. It was the peak of the MK series, the game that brought the legendary franchise into glorious 3D. No other MK game can truly re-create the impact of this. It should at least come in 2nd or 3rd, but I think it definitely deserves 1st place.

8. choclate-milk Saturday 22nd May 2010 at 12:03

Very much this. MK64 was far superior to MKWii. A racing game doesn't need tons of characters and fancy tracks, it just needs be fun. Something that Mario Kart Wii wasn't.

9. Richy B Saturday 22nd May 2010 at 12:17

ONM failed at getting the screenshots to have the position they finsihed in...

MK:DD should've won.

10. nintyspong3826 Saturday 22nd May 2010 at 12:33

A mystery Nintendo game coming out, and you guys are talking about old Mario Karts a lot and about what you would like to see in a hypothetical new one.
    Smells a bit Cheep Cheepy to me....

Unless that's what you want us to think!
    Sneakeh....

11. chocfang Saturday 22nd May 2010 at 13:21

My personal favorite is Mario Kart DS. I found the GBA one decent for my old gameboy. The DS one was awesome as it was on the move. The wii one on the DS would be awesome!

12. NintendoALLSTAR Saturday 22nd May 2010 at 13:25

Mario Kart Wii is first... utter facepalm. Should have been Double Dash and then DS. I don't really care which came after those two. Mario Kart Wii is just bad and after playing it 'round a mates I concluded never to buy it. Just...eugh.

13. Gavin Rozee Saturday 22nd May 2010 at 13:56

Mario Kart Wii is a great game. People just love to nitpick.

I agree with the list, but I'd probably put Super Circuit before SMK. Can still remember playing it in the car the day it launched and not being able to see **** on my GBA screen because it was so sunny.

14. Deku scrub Saturday 22nd May 2010 at 14:05

What MKW 1st!?!?

It is a casual friendly game

Unbalenced items let the casuals win with thunderclouds never helping you

Blue shells are a pain!!!

Luigi circuit is a course that is impossible almost because evry1 takes the shortcut right at the end

Blooper does nothing!!!

This is the 1st mario kart to have ultra shortcuts-Cheating none of the others did. Grumble volcanoe and mushroom gorge i'm looking at you, Race fairly people

Hackers are a pain and any hackers that arn't (Ones that give your rating) a boost get banned, Nintendo just ban FTW hackers.

Random DCs with a message with multipule meanings

Why include the rating system? It just annoys when when you lose to a noob.

No wii speak

There we go rant over, MK: DD should of won. MKW is ok (Better than super circuit) but should not be at top spot!!!

15. A.A Saturday 22nd May 2010 at 14:07

am i the only one who loved double dash. I didn't want it to change when it got to MKWii but they added 4 player GP so they're all awsome.

16. Darrencmx Saturday 22nd May 2010 at 14:10

I think SMK is the best. It is the game that spent the longest time in my Snes in the 5 years before I got my N64. Still play it to this day. Battle mode is the best in the series and the ability to shrink your kart was genius. Finishing first on 150cc on Special Cup while small is one of my greatest gaming triumphs!

17. JohnWilliam Saturday 22nd May 2010 at 14:29

DD was first on the thread very soon after it was taken down...

This is fishy.

Not that DD deserves to be first, but it WAS winning...

18. Cyberguy Saturday 22nd May 2010 at 15:03

Oh well, was hoping Double Dash would win as I voted that. MKWii is still a great game though but Double Dash burns rubber all over it.

19. HNF1 Saturday 22nd May 2010 at 16:26

I feel it's appropriate to do my personal list again:

1. Mario Kart DS
    2. Super Mario Kart
    3. Mario Kart 64
    4. Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
    5. Mario Kart Wii

Anyone agree?

20. tomonm Saturday 22nd May 2010 at 16:57

DD was level with Mario Kart Wii until the end but MK WII got it by one vote...

21. sciqueen Saturday 22nd May 2010 at 17:54

Mario Kart Wii was very disappointing. This was supposed to be the best in the series but it didn't deliver: it didn't have that special something Super Mario Kart has. It also chose the worst retro tracks: why the boring GBA Bowser Castle when instead it could have had an extended version of the Mushroom Cup Final track in SMK?

LOL @ Super Circuit. If NIntendo didn't have a messy and expensive way to link up multiplayer races (4 GBAs, 4 Mario Kart Game Paks AND 4 Link Cables?!) it would have scored a vote lol. Cheeseland is genius though!

22. JohnWilliam Saturday 22nd May 2010 at 17:59

DD was level with Mario Kart Wii until the end but MK WII got it by one vote...

Nintendo told which one of you to vote?

23. JRush Saturday 22nd May 2010 at 18:06

MarioKart Wii is my favourite but I would prefer double dash if it had more tracks, more characters online :P

24. Gavin Rozee Saturday 22nd May 2010 at 18:12

DD was level with Mario Kart Wii until the end but MK WII got it by one vote...

Better not mention who the final voter was, or judging by everyone here, he/she will be burned alive.

Mario Kart Wii is awesome.

25. Bongo-Bongo Saturday 22nd May 2010 at 18:44

If I was to judge the games by how I felt about them all at the time of their releases, then it would be between Super Mario Kart and Mario Kart 64. But times have changed and both feel very outdated now. By the experience they give now, I have to go with either Mario Kart: DD or Mario Kart DS. Mario Kart Wii could have topped all of them had it been balanced and actually punished those who are crap.

26. tomutwit Saturday 22nd May 2010 at 19:26

THIS WAS FIIIIXED!!! FIIIIXED I TELL YOUUUU!!!
    yeah it was obv MkWii would win because the way ONM have always talked it up, despite it being my 2nd Wii game, and one of my most disliked (the others being uhh... Rabbids TV Party and Sonic Unleashed and whatever)

27. tomutwit Saturday 22nd May 2010 at 19:30

This!

DD was first on the thread very soon after it was taken down...

This is fishy.

Not that DD deserves to be first, but it WAS winning...

and this! More this.

28. Kazuya Mishima Saturday 22nd May 2010 at 19:31

i personally think it is fixed.

this is probably just adertising MKWII if you do not have it or something like that.

29. Mario1980 Saturday 22nd May 2010 at 20:07

I really like Super Mario kart, Snes. It's a classic that won't never die. I also really like Mario Kart Wii, it's a close one, but I think I'll go for Super Mario kart 'cos I don't like losing against the bikes on the Wii version.

30. WiiStation 360 Saturday 22nd May 2010 at 20:33

I disagree with Mario kart Double Dash comin in 2nd place, this game made history for the gamecube and happened to be the first one I ever owned. Having Mario and Bowser team-up in the same kart together and throwing a Giant Bowser shell at King Boo and Petey Pirahna made my day....no wait my childhood! Also the multiplayer modes weren't half bad either(playing balloon battle on a Giant Nintendo Gamecube was awsome!).

31. Komodo_Wolfgang Saturday 22nd May 2010 at 20:34

maybe its not the best game, but I think you should have the option to have 2 people on a cart is a good idea..like; 50cc,100cc,150cc,Doubledash!!

32. akatsukiworm Saturday 22nd May 2010 at 20:46

mkwii is the worst game ever. if your crap at it you win. that isnt how games work.

33. Jacklepops Saturday 22nd May 2010 at 22:29

:roll: ONM did anyone vote for Mario Kart Arcade GP 1 or 2, after all, It had Mr and Mrs Pacman, Blinky and Mametchi for GP 2 :lol: I liked the temporary shield that is produced while powersliding which protects you from items thrown at you by the other racers.

34. sonicfan01 Saturday 22nd May 2010 at 22:41

Well my favourite mario kart game would be Sonic and Sega All stars racing, WAIT!!!...that ain't a Mario Kart game!! :shock:

....But it sure is better! :roll:

35. shadow.x Sunday 23rd May 2010 at 08:11

Mario Kart Wii was the best in my eyes.

36. monkeymoo Sunday 23rd May 2010 at 08:26

This ^^

37. bowser jrfan Sunday 23rd May 2010 at 10:12

I Think Double dash should be first it was brilliant AND YOU COULD HAVE TWO PEOPLE IN A KART AWSOME :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

:D

38. layton lover Sunday 23rd May 2010 at 13:06

I think thats spot on. Admittadly i have never played the original or MK 64 but out of the others, for me Wii just beats double dash, followed up by DS, and then super circuit at the bottom. (I don't like the unimaginative courses or the lack of multiplayer, sorry ONM! :) )

39. nintendo_munki Sunday 23rd May 2010 at 14:04

i like the way in the top three you basically always said 'one of the best mario karts ever'.
    come on! there arent that many! thats a bit conservative onm!

40. Nik1245 Sunday 23rd May 2010 at 14:52

Once again, another rigged poll.
    By the looks of things, 75% of people here seem to think Double Dash should have won.
    As do I.
    MKWii, got bored with it straight away.
    Didn't even bother completing the license.
    Here's an idea, why not actually CREATE a poll to put on the front page.
    That way we can ACTUALLY get the fans answers.

41. thenintendoer Sunday 23rd May 2010 at 18:20

maybe if mkwii wasnt aimed at the casual audience and was more about skill than luck then maybe it wouldnt have been such a bad game

42. titan228 Sunday 23rd May 2010 at 18:31

i loved the original although mario kart ds is good

43. Dooby Sunday 23rd May 2010 at 18:37

Thank you ONM for featuring my comment, appreciated! 8)

I chose Mario Kart:Double Dash along with many, but I am not disappointed in the slightest that DD came second because Mario Kart Wii I believe is an excellent game and I do not understand why everyone thinks the results are fixed. A lot of people like the game, it's not hard to believe is it?

I hope a lot of people who chose Double Dash agree with my comment that it should be re-made, or elements from it should be implemented into the next Mario Kart. Having a choice of karts & bikes, 1 seater or 2, that would be multiplayer heaven 8)

44. JohnWilliam Sunday 23rd May 2010 at 18:59

Typical of ONM to fix the poll to make MKW look better in front of the others.

MKW can not sell anymore, stop trying to push the horrible wreck of a game any further, no matter how much Nintendo bribes you. EVERYONE saw that DD was winning by alot, (not worthy, IMO. But it was winning.) you deleted the thread when you noticed that.

45. TheConch Sunday 23rd May 2010 at 21:27

Oh dear, I do hope these allegations are false. At the very least it seems the poll was being monitored closely and closed as soon as MK:Wii got ahead. Not cool.

Anyway, personal list would be as follows:
    1. MK:DD
    2. SMK
    3. MK 64
    4. MK DS
    5. MK SC
    6. MK:Wii

46. mariosmum Monday 24th May 2010 at 15:33

Typical of ONM to fix the poll to make MKW look better in front of the others.

Dude, get over it. Life's not one big conspiracy, and I don't think ONM really give two ships which game won. They're all made by Nintendo, they're all Mario Kart, so surely they are all advertising for MKWii?

47. smash-4000 Monday 24th May 2010 at 18:43

lol, i didn't realise MK Wii was being hated on so badly. It's almost like the MW2 of mario kart

anyway my favourite was MK DS. 8 player racing with your friends anywhere FTW.

48. ChrisONM Tuesday 25th May 2010 at 07:18

DD was level with Mario Kart Wii until the end but MK WII got it by one vote...

Nintendo told which one of you to vote?

Yes, because Nintendo cares which of its old games wins a poll that a hundred or so people voted in. :roll:

Look mate, I helped Tom check the poll before it was closed, and Mario Kart Wii did indeed win by a single vote. You can believe that or not believe it, but the fact is it happened. What you can't do is start constantly accusing us of "fixing" this now (which you've done at least four times now), because it's simply not true and is getting in the way of the actual discussions about the results.

If you want to keep going no about this conspiracy you might want to give these two a shout:

49. JohnWilliam Tuesday 25th May 2010 at 09:49

I'll take your word for it, it's just that I and many others saw DD winning.

And I think I might know who voted for MKWii...

50. laguz Tuesday 25th May 2010 at 10:59

My personal list:

1. double dash - 96%
    2. super mario kart - 85%
    3. mario kart ds - 80%
    4. mario kart 64 - 70%
    5. mario kart wii - 65%
    6. mario kart super circuit - 60%

The only people who voted for Mkwii are wii/ds newcomers who haven't experienced Double dash 1st time round and are too ignorant to buy a gamecube (which is 10x better than wii)

51. Wiiki Tuesday 25th May 2010 at 11:38

Modnation Racers has made all Mario Kart games redundant.
    Actualy, no Double Dash is still full of awesome and I can prove that its better than Wii with a simple equation;

:D :D > :D

52. SamiCetinSMK Tuesday 25th May 2010 at 13:00

I still agree also that some of the older versions had more real racing involved without too much items luck deciding races. Mario Kart Wii and Double Dash are great fun and will capture a lot of fans as they are casual gamers. Others may enjoy the more competitive approach, whether you are Time Trial Specialists, Racing or Battle Mode Specialists.

My list today would be:

1st: Super Mario Kart
    2nd: Mario Kart DS
    3rd: Mario Kart 64
    4th: Mario Kart Super Circuit
    5th: Mario Kart Wii
    6th: Mario Kart Double Dash

For those interested in multiplayer competition and who are near the London area are might be able to travl in if further out, I have organised the UK Championships for SMK for this October in a function room in Fairfield Halls, South London. PM me if you would like more details.

53. Smash-bros fan Tuesday 25th May 2010 at 16:05

Why in Gods name is MKWii first? MK 64 should have won.

Mario Kart wii had the potential, but failed

54. smash-4000 Tuesday 25th May 2010 at 16:13

My personal list:

1. double dash - 96%
    2. super mario kart - 85%
    3. mario kart ds - 80%
    4. mario kart 64 - 70%
    5. mario kart wii - 65%
    6. mario kart super circuit - 60%

lol :D you think that people are ignorant if they dont want to buy an 8 year old console thats now only for sale on the net (I have one by the way)

55. mariosmum Tuesday 25th May 2010 at 18:00

My personal list:

1. double dash - 96%
    2. super mario kart - 85%
    3. mario kart ds - 80%
    4. mario kart 64 - 70%
    5. mario kart wii - 65%
    6. mario kart super circuit - 60%

And the Wii can play GC games anyway. And laguz's maths seem pretty ignorant to me...

56. tommyp Tuesday 25th May 2010 at 18:30

mk wii was a worthey winner and ive tryed every one since 64

57. myemye233 Tuesday 25th May 2010 at 18:33

My order is
    1.MK Double Dash
    2.MK DS
    3.MK 64
    4.MK Wii
    5.Super MK
    6. MK SC

58. tommyp Tuesday 25th May 2010 at 18:36

mk wii was a worthey winner and ive tryed every one since 64

but then angain most people use bikes so it should be called mario bike

59. Jacklepops Tuesday 25th May 2010 at 20:56

:roll: Im the only one here who mentions Mario Kart Arcade GP 1 & 2 :lol: Am I the only one who played those games :cry: and People Mario Kart Wii won because of Its popularity, if this pole was created in 2006, Mario Kart DS probably would've won because It was most popular at the time :wink:

60. laguz Wednesday 26th May 2010 at 11:03

My personal list:

1. double dash - 96%
    2. super mario kart - 85%
    3. mario kart ds - 80%
    4. mario kart 64 - 70%
    5. mario kart wii - 65%
    6. mario kart super circuit - 60%

I'm talking about young nintendo fanboys who think the wii/ds are great and dismiss buying gamecube games just because they're older (which this site seems to be filled with), now they're ignorant.

61. nintendo_guy Wednesday 26th May 2010 at 15:43

I don't mean to act like JohnWilliam or anything, but everyone is saying DD is better? Just saying, mind.

62. mariosmum Wednesday 26th May 2010 at 18:48

Yeh I see what you mean but it sounded like you were calling people stupid for not buying an old console.

More people should play GC games because they are generally better quality than most Wii games.

63. LEGEND MARIOID Thursday 27th May 2010 at 09:34

1. Wii
    2. DS
    3. 64
    4. GC
    5. GBA
    6. SNES

64. pokelong Thursday 27th May 2010 at 17:38

I expected the GBA version to end in a bottom place, but I expected the SENS version to be higher after the good review in the mag.

65. Switzerninmaster Friday 28th May 2010 at 09:58

Double Dash FTW
    ...Maybe Mario Kart Wii :D

66. peteflea Friday 28th May 2010 at 13:21

Mario Kart Wii is a great game. People just love to nitpick.

ahhh the good old days of annoying sunlight :)

p.s i agree , mario kart wii was awesome!

67. Jman2401 Friday 28th May 2010 at 20:57

I'm glad mario kart wii won but upset mario kart ds was 3rd. it was good multiplayer than the rest(due to the fact the ds dosen't need wires or tv)and the double dash only has one thing to say: bring bob-omb battle

68. Jman2401 Friday 28th May 2010 at 20:59

Mario Kart Wii is a great game. People just love to nitpick.

ahhh the good old days of annoying sunlight :)

p.s i agree , mario kart wii was awesome!

I also agree *clears throat*

69. Poke-J Friday 4th Jun 2010 at 16:03

DD was level with Mario Kart Wii until the end but MK WII got it by one vote...

Mario Kart Wii is awesome.

Gee wiz, I shoud've voted.

70. TIMMSY7 Sunday 13th Jun 2010 at 16:24

super circut because it got me into the serise and also one of the harder one as well

71. wewantkirby Friday 2nd Jul 2010 at 14:32

it has to be mario kart 64 or mario kart ds, both are great games :D

72. Toastie boy Friday 16th Jul 2010 at 13:11

mario kart double dash was the greatest mario kart game on console. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

mario kart ds was the best on hand held consoles. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

73. supercool123 Sunday 18th Jul 2010 at 05:05

Defintely Wii, Gamecube was great, but I do have a little sympathy for the DNF Game Boy

74. Koopa man Saturday 13th Nov 2010 at 15:06

I love Mario Kart Wii, and can't see why everyone hates it. It's my favourite online game on Wii by a long way, and I really enjoy playing with the Wii wheel. Mario Kart DS is very close behind it, though.

Mario Kart: Double Dash!! felt really slow to me for some reason. And the two people per kart gimmick didn't appeal to me. But it's still a good game.