Killer7 is my proudest moment: Suda51

Why he rates it above No More Heroes

No More Heroes creator Suda51 has told Official Nintendo magazine that Killer7 is the game that he's most proud of.

With the release of No More Heroes 2 just days away, you'd expect its creator to big up his new game but Suda51 rates his old GameCube game higher than Travis Touchdown's latest.

Asked which game he's most proud of, Suda responded "Killer 7. I wanted to create something very unique and different from other games and I feel that I was able to do that with Killer7."

He certainly did manage it. Killer7 is perhaps the strangest of all Suda 51's games. An unconventional on-rails shooter, the game has you playing as Harman Smith, a man with a squad of deadly assassins in his head! You can choose between seven of his different personalities - each with their own specific abilities - in your quest to defeat the heaven's smiles.

It's also a game that Suda 51 is keen on revisiting. As he told Cubed3 in a recent interview, he is "certainly interested in making a new Killer7."

Have you played Killer7? Would you like it to return?

Comments

1. chino40k Monday 24th May 2010 at 11:35

Of all the games I own across all the systems, Killer7 on the GC is my favourite.

While character movement is some what claustrophobic and restricted to branching paths, it is some what disingenuous to call it a rail shooter. Although it certainly is unconventional.

You couldn't directly compare the genre of Killer7 to House of the Dead or Sin & Punishment for example. Killer7 you are free to stop, go back and forward as you please.

The story is complicated, twisted but at the same time quite excellent.

The Hellion, Dan Smith is the man. In fact each character of Harman Smiths psyche are all more or less equally inspired in their conception. Coyote Smith has possibly one of the best kill lines in gaming.

2. La Goomba Monday 24th May 2010 at 12:05

yes this was a definate favourite for me

excelent in every way
    well up for a sequel.

suda's rite, it is better than no more heroes, and i loved no more heroes.

laaaaaater

3. dm_1782 Monday 24th May 2010 at 12:58

One of the best games I've ever played. Storyline was bonkers gameplay was excellent what more could you ask for?

4. noodle link Monday 24th May 2010 at 15:02

While Killer7 is a brilliant game, I'm not too keen on the idea of a sequel. A remake, maybe but not a sequel.

5. tomutwit Monday 24th May 2010 at 15:15

How would you name it though? Not Killer8 cos that would be a terrible oun and need one more assasin, but then Killer 7 2 would mean 72 assasins right?

6. dm_1782 Monday 24th May 2010 at 15:24

I'm not too keen on the idea of a remake, a sequel could be possible by the way Killer 7 ended. I'm just tired of remakes now, and im sure everyone else is too.

7. Mart2006 Monday 24th May 2010 at 17:19

How would you name it though?

Killer 7 Returns?

8. Venomous Monday 24th May 2010 at 17:54

There was already a Killer8 though, it was unlocked in Killer7 once you completed the game once, and was essentially the game's 'Hard Mode', albeit you got to use a younger Harman Smith. Still haven't completed it myself, haven't even beaten Angel yet.

And I'll need to restart it soon, amazing game though incredibly confusing, didn't understand everything on the first play through.

9. wombat samurai Monday 24th May 2010 at 18:34

Killer7 was rad, I'd love to see a sequel.

10. triforce-manc Monday 24th May 2010 at 20:18

Looks like I missed out on a great game, I'll have to go look for it on ebay see if I can get it for cheap

11. chris0010 Monday 24th May 2010 at 22:58

killer 7 was a unique game, much more so that no more heroes. I think a sequel would be awesome, although not sure how well it would sell due to the fact the orginal wasnt exactly mainstream.

12. chino40k Tuesday 25th May 2010 at 15:40

If you can find it for sub Ł15 you're doing well.

13. Zeni Geva Sunday 30th May 2010 at 16:47

Killer7, along with Flower, Sun and Rain, is probably my favourite game. The artistry, intelligence and depth is astonishing for a video-game. Too bad many critics dismissed it, and the so-called fans usually do it disservice by being very teenage and getting excitable about characters, catchphrases and violence. All I will say is you should read-up on post-war Japanese history before playing the game.