Nintendo confirm DS price cuts for the UK

DSi price slashed!

Nintendo has told ONM that the price of DSi is to be cut in the UK.

"In the UK Nintendo will be reducing the trade price of Nintendo DSi to retailers from 18th June 2010," a Nintendo spokesperson told us.

However, Nintendo has yet to confirm how much they will be reducing the price by. In the past, the company has left it up to individual retailers to decide the pricing of their consoles and it's the same story this time with the company declaring that "the ultimate price to consumers is, of course, determined by the retailers."

Although the prices are being cut from 18 June, online retailers are already selling the consoles for £30 less than the RRP.

Are you one of the few who does not yet own a DS? Will this price cut encourage you to buy one?

Comments

1. hoshixcandy Wednesday 2nd Jun 2010 at 12:25

If the DSi gets a reasonable enough price cut, I might buy one... I was interested in it, just not the price.

2. The_Insider Wednesday 2nd Jun 2010 at 13:08

I HAVE FURY!

Well, not too much, I have had a DSi for around 8 months now, so I guess I don't mind the price drop.

Plus, it'll only help the DS overtake the PS2 in terms on sales, right?

3. TomMc92 Wednesday 2nd Jun 2010 at 13:17

Hmm, this seems like the sign that the 3ds will be released this year. GUess we gotta wait till E3 to find out for sure. Also this doesnt affect me as i bought a dsi as soon as they came out. So much for dsi only games eh.

4. Hylian_Grouch Wednesday 2nd Jun 2010 at 13:38

ha i wont fall for that. ill wait for a 3ds to play ds games thankyou. my gba is still going strong

5. samus_killer Wednesday 2nd Jun 2010 at 14:11

Sorry nintendo, but I already own one. Though I'm sure this will boost sales beyond the PS2. Oh and TomMc92, I don't think this means the 3ds will be released this year.

6. SuperMaster97 Wednesday 2nd Jun 2010 at 15:16

Cool thats good to here I met get one I am proud of my DS lite for surviving all these years. And I am glad ONM had DS lites as there picture for this topic.

7. nintendo_munki Wednesday 2nd Jun 2010 at 16:29

most probably.
    either get a cheap DSi, or wait for a 3DS with backwards compat.
    only so i can get the pokemon game/s, dragon quest, mario kart and scribblenauts 2.
    theyre damn fine :P

8. TyrDragon Wednesday 2nd Jun 2010 at 17:19

So much for dsi only games eh.

Yeah, what ever happened to that idea?

9. Mmmyeah Wednesday 2nd Jun 2010 at 18:56

My ds lite is fine. The only advantage i can see of a dsi that is worth buying one for is dsiware, but even that isnt really worth it. I would prefer an xl anyway. And then theres the 3ds...

10. Mdude38 Wednesday 2nd Jun 2010 at 19:09

most probably.
    either get a cheap DSi, or wait for a 3DS with backwards compat.
    theyre damn fine :P

Yeah, wait two weeks for Nintendo's E3 conference to take place. I'm sure they'll announce some sort of release date for the 3DS and what it'll look like :wink:

11. Stitch Wednesday 2nd Jun 2010 at 19:25

I'll have a look at what happens at E3 and how low the price is. Then I might consider getting one.

12. Scarlett_Crimson Wednesday 2nd Jun 2010 at 23:04

Hm, I'll wait until we see the 3DS at e3, though I might consider buying one since 3D tends to irritate my eyes (literally). Of course Nintendo will probably have some sort of voodoo that will make the 3DS eye-friendly. Hopefully. 8)

13. jgri8105 Thursday 3rd Jun 2010 at 00:54

still got the old- school ds and it works fine, gonna spend my money on more games and on the 3ds!! :D

14. King-X Thursday 3rd Jun 2010 at 05:15

Every console/handheld I've ever bought has been subject to one golden concept: "is it required in order to play a game I want to play to the full that I am not already in a position to?"

To this day I still use my original 'phat' DS for the following reasons:

- It is special (#64 from the original midnight launch)
    - It still works perfectly (people really need to learn to look after their DSs properly?)
    - No game I've wanted has required me to get a newer model. Fancy gimmicks alone don't cut it for me and I don't really require the downloads as I already have the original GB Advance titles and such (which of course only work on the original 'phats' anyway...)

So in short, no a price cut alone won't entice me, especially with the 3DS in the pipeline that will probably be more of a pull and certainly let me enjoy games on a level that I can't enjoy already.

Still, I am happy that there is a price cut. None too soon either!

15. charlie7350 Friday 4th Jun 2010 at 20:21

Well i'm currently using a white DS lite and want to see how the 3DS looks before I buy another handheld. Also it depends how much there droping the price by if it's only something small like 10 then probally not.

16. Shigeru Saturday 5th Jun 2010 at 12:03

Hell yeah I'll buy one! I always thought 129.99 was a bit steep.