E3 2010: Donkey Kong Country Returns revealed

Ape icon hits Wii later this year

Nintendo has just announced that Donkey Kong is on the comeback trail, swinging onto Wii this year in Donkey Kong Country Returns.

The game picks up where Rare's much-loved SNES original left off. A side-scrolling platformer that rips along at breakneck pace is the result, and what's more Retro Studios, the team behind the excellent Metroid Prime series, is at the helm.

In a gameplay demo shown onstage at E3,the game features a mix of classic Donkey Kong Country elements - shooting barrels, mine cart sections, banana gobbling and a host of mental enemies.

Retro has nailed the look of the game, with action exploding all around the screen, and some gorgeous effects. One sees Donkey Kong racing through a coastal level with the setting sun silhouetting him beautifully.

We'll have much more in the way of images sharpish, but here's the trailer for now.

Comments

1. killganon Tuesday 15th Jun 2010 at 17:12

huh dk donkey kong welcome back dk old chum and if retro can nail the formula like what happend with metroid then it will be brilliant

2. ACRID Tuesday 15th Jun 2010 at 17:12

This is brilliant news, can't wait to see more on this

3. St.Sammythe3r Tuesday 15th Jun 2010 at 17:14

Haha Neil better be eating his words from the last podcast!! Haha :lol: Sounds Great! Roll on Donkey Kong Country!

4. danbish Tuesday 15th Jun 2010 at 17:24

Cannot wait for this! I want it now! Looks like another gem from Retro! :D

5. Wiintendo Tuesday 15th Jun 2010 at 17:27

Wow, this is splendid news, It may not be called Donkey Kong Country 4, but a new Donkey Kong Country is brilloiant news, especially since its by Retro Studios, can't wait to see mor ein futre :)

6. shy guy 64 Tuesday 15th Jun 2010 at 17:32

I CAN'T WAIT!!

10. hardcoregamerrob Tuesday 15th Jun 2010 at 17:36

When I saw this i almost jumped for joy this made me the most happy at e3 :D
    also

GOLDENEYE :D :D :D

11. Redfish20 Tuesday 15th Jun 2010 at 17:45

can one of the images be Neil's face just after he realised what it was?

12. Redfish20 Tuesday 15th Jun 2010 at 17:47

can one of the images be Neil's face just after he realised what it was?

13. Redfish20 Tuesday 15th Jun 2010 at 17:49

can one of the images be Neil's face just after he realised what it was?

14. nintendo_munki Tuesday 15th Jun 2010 at 17:53

well that just blew out your podcast.
    AGAIN.
    dont ever say nothing is going to happen. youve been proven wrong about 4 times now.

15. mirage 5x5 Tuesday 15th Jun 2010 at 17:56

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
    yes yes yes yes yes :D :D
    day one buy for me :D :D
    ive missed this game welcome back dk :D
    :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

16. mirage 5x5 Tuesday 15th Jun 2010 at 18:01

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
    yes yes yes yes yes :D :D
    day one buy for me :D :D
    ive missed this game welcome back dk :D
    :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

17. KoreeluStromboli Tuesday 15th Jun 2010 at 19:40

I wonder if Donkey Kong Country Returns will feature similar gameplay to Donkey Kong Jungle Beat. I bought the New Play Control! version of that game and enjoyed it.

18. KoreeluStromboli Tuesday 15th Jun 2010 at 19:41

19. ninjafox Tuesday 15th Jun 2010 at 19:44

I agree been waiting for this game for years, i remember playing the original back in 1997 when i was about 8 and loving it. One of my favourite game series of all time, still play them all often on the VC now. I really thought E3 last year could not be beaten, how wrong i was!!!

20. lminett Tuesday 15th Jun 2010 at 21:13

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

21. Oxo64 Tuesday 15th Jun 2010 at 22:52

This should be a blast! :D

22. Flash7 Wednesday 16th Jun 2010 at 08:34

I loved it when they announced it and Reggie was like: "If you listen, you might be able to hear it coming". I was like "Wait is that...no, it couldn't be...HOLY CRAP IT IS!"

23. SuperMarioFan886 Wednesday 16th Jun 2010 at 10:11

Looks great. Hope it's not a sequel though. I think the DKC trilogy should stay a trilogy.

VERY HYPED

24. piehed Wednesday 16th Jun 2010 at 11:13

will this see the end of the donkey kong country 4 thread? :cry: that's been there since 2008!

25. diddykong13 Wednesday 16th Jun 2010 at 11:44

Thats exactly how I felt! Brings back so many good memories, I'm now officially more exited about this game than I am about Zelda Skyward Sword :D

26. yoshi-cute Wednesday 16th Jun 2010 at 17:00

Yaaaaaaaaaaaay. Super happy.

27. Malice of Yoshi Wednesday 16th Jun 2010 at 18:09

I loved the three Donkey Kong Country games for the Snes all those years ago but I played them to death and this 2D adventure does not look that much different from the older games.

I would have preferred a 3D adventure from the lovable ape and I feel Retro Studio could have done a lot more with the franchise but I am glad to see him back never the less.

28. Super Wario Thursday 17th Jun 2010 at 18:40

Donkey Kong Country Returns looks impressive, and a welcome return to his 2d platforming roots. The fact that both Donkey and Diddy have life bars looks...interesting, to say the least. I hope K. Rool and the Kremlings make a return--I just don't feel it would be a proper Donkey Kong game without them.

I also hope this game has enough new things to make it different from the Donkey Kong Country trilogy. I don't want to end up playing a game that's basically the same as its predecessors.

29. Bexie Friday 18th Jun 2010 at 02:24

OMGOMGOMGOMG FINALLYYYYYY. ^_____^

30. KThxsBy Tuesday 22nd Jun 2010 at 22:07

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: omg im so happy! Donkey kong country one of my fav games of all time.. also one of best nintendo E3'S i think i have ever seen...

anyone going to complain about nintendo going casual ?

one more YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!