E3 2010: Luigi's Mansion 'good match for 3DS' - Nintendo

Hideki Konno would like to see it return...

Tha man in charge of hardware development for 3DS believes GameCube launch game Luigi's Mansion would be a 'good match' for Nintendo's new 3D handheld.

Luigi's ghostbusting GameCube title is a game that's close to Konno's heart as he created the game for the console and it looks like he wants to revisit it.

"I think Luigi's Mansion, that I created for GameCube, would be a good game for the 3DS," Konno told IGN. "The lighting of the game, and the dollhouse-like environment of the game I think would be very suitable for 3D.

"I think the depth and the width of the environments, like a box, that we had in Luigi's Mansion would be a very good match for the effects of the 3DS."

Earlier in the interview, Konno revealed that he had tried to make Luigi's Mansion 3D for GameCube. "When I was directing Luigi's Mansion on the GameCube we experimented with placing a 3D panel on the screen and making Luigi's Mansion play in 3D. However, at that time we had screen resolution issues. And cost issues. And to separately sell a panel for 3D gameplay wasn't a practical idea as a mass-market product."

Luigi's Mansion is a game that splits the ONM office. Tom and Chris love it while Neil and Simon can't stand it but what do you think? Would you like it to return to 3DS.

Comments

1. The_Insider Friday 18th Jun 2010 at 09:35

I personally wouldn't mind a return to Luigi's Mansion, provding the plot isn't rehashed and the game is given a bit more depth than the original.

I know a lot of games that many people are excited for about the 3DS are rereleases, but in my eyes this is one game that can't just be rereleased. It's either a sequel or nothing in my eyes, I just don't think the original had enough content to warrant a remake, even with a few extra bits added in.

2. Blue Toad Friday 18th Jun 2010 at 09:39

Neil and Simon dislike Luigi's Mansion? Shame on them! I would love a sequel, definitely if they increased the length. Plus my GCN disc is starting to fare not so well. D=

3. Violet Friday 18th Jun 2010 at 10:02

Neil and Simon have no taste. Luigi's Mansion is a fantastic little game, even if it is short. Would love to see a sequel.

4. NOM is NOM Friday 18th Jun 2010 at 12:04

They should do a sequel on 3DS, rather then a port. You could have the main game taking place on the top screen (obviously 3D :D) and then the Gameboy Horror on the bottom screen. The plot could take place out of the mansion in the forest to add a new plot to the game.

5. mirage 5x5 Friday 18th Jun 2010 at 12:46

:D :D yes please :D :D
    would be great on the 3ds :D

6. evanid Friday 18th Jun 2010 at 13:18

I've been waiting for a sequel for so long now. Well whether it is sequel or just a port il still buy it.

For me Luigi's mansion was just as good as Mario sunshine. All the ghost had real good characteristics and really helped the simple story. And ofcourse Luigi being scared of everything.

Only thing i didn't understand about the game was Luigi's had to save Mario, it should never happen like that. Maybe he should save Daisy or something since she like the alternative peach. And it would give a proper role in a game.:?

Come on Nintendo give us a sequel! :D

7. 1singie Friday 18th Jun 2010 at 13:48

didlike???? it was one of my favorite (and shortest) cube game! a sequel is looooooooooooooooooooooooong over due!!

8. Ai64 Friday 18th Jun 2010 at 14:58

Sure the game was short but I loved it from start to finish. Sequal please!

9. GoombaInDisguise Friday 18th Jun 2010 at 15:34

Switch the Screens. Luigi on Touch, Horror up top. Think about it, you could Tap ghosts to begin sucking them up, and you've got to keep the stylus held down to nab it. Moving around would be like PH and ST. Awesome.

10. Mastearl Friday 18th Jun 2010 at 15:55

yes i would like a luigis mansion on 3ds but i don't mind if its a port or a sequel, either way is great.

also whats Freds opinion, it didn't say

11. Laughlyn Friday 18th Jun 2010 at 16:00

whats this, more ideas of porting old gamecube games over. this sounds nothing liek i was more worried about in a previous post :roll:

Sure the nintendo ones are usually good but not when there are loads of them, i'd have thought with the less than impressive 'Play on wii' sales that they would think twice about more upgrades of older games, are nintendo hoping we all end up so hyped by the 3DS that we'll be blinded by their attempts to be a bit on the lazy side?

Sure i'm as happy as any to see old names in the games lists but i can only agree to so many ports of old games and it seems to me that nintendo are taking the easy way out with the likes of Starfox, they've tried many ways over the years to re-create the feeling of Starfox 64, its pretty easy, stop stickin gimmicks into starfox and make the on rails shooter that SF64 is and not just be idle and remake past glories, albeit with a few new modes which in all fairness would be pretty standard fare in a game of its type these days.

Dont remake Luigis Mansion, give us a sequal, this way we'll be likely to go buy the original if we like it. My faith is steadily holding, but please nintendo, strengthen the 3DS games list with some more original games, for such an innovative console it should be 2 original games to 1 port. and not 5 ports to 1 original idea

12. layton lover Friday 18th Jun 2010 at 16:42

OMG, just see my sig to see how much i adored the original. This would be AMAZING.

13. SoulSilver IV Friday 18th Jun 2010 at 17:14

That would be AMAZING in 3D - imagine the third boss battle (against the baby ghost - I can't remember his name) in 3D...

:D

14. Duffeh Friday 18th Jun 2010 at 17:41

That would be great
    Played it once at a mates
    I hope it a sequal

I think on the touch screen you could have luigi view
    and on the top the whole room

15. Colgax Friday 18th Jun 2010 at 17:54

If it's a sequel, a bigger sequel, I'm on it!

16. NOM is NOM Friday 18th Jun 2010 at 21:31

I thought that, but it couldn't happen. Nintendo would want to have the ghosts being sucked in in full 3D, as they try to come out of the screen in a bid to escape. They couldn't happen on the bottom screen.

17. zapper01 Friday 18th Jun 2010 at 21:59

if it's a sequel (hopefully longer) i'd definately get it.
    but if it's a port i wouldn't bother

18. tomutwit Saturday 19th Jun 2010 at 12:41

yes as long as it was longer and had more than ONE action: ie, jump button or something cool.

19. danbish Saturday 19th Jun 2010 at 12:44

I loved Luigi's Mansion, in fact its one of my favourite games on the GameCube and I'd love to revisit it on the 3DS in a re-make. Or a full on sequel, either's good!

Make it happen!

20. kezz182 Saturday 19th Jun 2010 at 15:04

Never played it sooooo I wouldn't know if it deserves a sequel.

21. MARION64WII Sunday 20th Jun 2010 at 21:20

Yeah but all of the high quality picture and 3D technology is on the top screen. 3DS will have it's games mainly played on the topscreen and the less detailed stuff will be on the bottom, this could be things like inventory. So the gameboy horror would much be suited more on the bottom, the main gameplay at top. It would be cool, the ghosts as they are trying to escape the poltergust and even trying to leave the system.

22. Dark Lucario Monday 21st Jun 2010 at 13:43

I have Luigi's Mansion on the Gamecube, so if they just did a port, I wouldn't buy it. A sequel, on the other hand, would be a must-have!

23. hqmanpoke Saturday 26th Jun 2010 at 18:16

I never really got stuck into the game but i enjoyed watching family members play it, i sequel or re make on the 3DS would give me a chance to play the game without having to get the game back out. That wouldnt be too much hassle but I'm indulging in MH and SMG2

24. ryandx99 Tuesday 24th Aug 2010 at 22:45

luigi mansion is my childhood favourite game it will make a amazing 3ds (don't mind port)

25. acheaquil Tuesday 28th Sep 2010 at 16:27

YES PLEASE !!!

26. GsAnimated Tuesday 31st May 2011 at 23:33

It would be great to see a sequel or even just a remake of Luigi's mansion on the 3DS!