GoldenEye 64 designer slams Activision over Wii remake

"It's hard to imagine them wanting to do the original GoldenEye justice"

Martin Hollis, the designer of the original GoldenEye game, has spoken out about Activision's decision to revive the Bond classic for Wii, saying he finds it hard to imagine the company wanting to do justice to Rare's N64 game.

In an exclusive interview that will appear in the new issue of Official Nintendo Magazine which goes on sale on Monday, the former Rare employee argued that Activision's decision to revive GoldenEye for Wii is motivated by profits rather than passion.

Hollis was talking to ONM about the making of GoldenEye 64 but when asked what his feelings were towards Activision's forthcoming remake, he said "I imagine it is a business decision isn't it? This name is valuable, let's use it. I find it hard to picture Activision's top management being excited about the original and wanting to do it justice. In fact, I find it hard to imagine them being excited about any game. It's my perception that they are trying to be EA, only more so. I think they are doing a fine job at that."

However, Hollis did reserve praise for Eurocom, the developers of the Wii version of GoldenEye 007. "I know and like Eurocom," he said. "I think they are a good company. I'm confident they have done their very best." Earlier this week, Eurocom claimed that the game will blow away all other Wii first person shooters.

You can read about the making of GoldenEye 007 N64 in the new issue of Official Nintendo Magazine which goes on sale on Monday. Want to make sure you get forthcoming issues of the magazine before they go on sale? Subscribe here.

Comments

1. super yoshifan Friday 3rd Sep 2010 at 10:33

Eh, can't start slammin' it until the game comes out. Chances are, it could be a worthy sucessor to GoldenEye N64.

2. The_Insider Friday 3rd Sep 2010 at 10:46

We already had a worthy successor, it was called 'Perfect Dark'.

I mean don't get me wrong, GoldenEye 007 Wii COULD be good, but it won't be as groundbreaking as the original.

3. nintendo_munki Friday 3rd Sep 2010 at 10:46

unfortunately, 'blow away' other wii shooters means itll be a good game. we all know that the wii doesnt have a great shooter library.

before you ask, CoD doesnt really count, as they were developed for HD then dumbed down.

and the conduit was poo.

4. ChrisONM Friday 3rd Sep 2010 at 10:49

He's not slamming it, he says he likes the developers. He's just saying he doesn't think Activision made it a GoldenEye game to pay tribute to the original, just to make some money off it.

5. The_Insider Friday 3rd Sep 2010 at 10:55

and considering this is Activision and therefore Bobby Kotick we're talking about here... that's more than likely a reasonable conclusion.

6. Dean Thompson Friday 3rd Sep 2010 at 10:59

exactly! i was about to say that. spot on. hollis also now has a stronger position to complain from about large publishers like ea etc now that his company has put something out there approaching a proper game, bonsai barber.

7. TheLupineOne Friday 3rd Sep 2010 at 12:31

I couldn't agree more! This is Activision we're talking about, I just KNOW they'll ruin it!

8. matey Friday 3rd Sep 2010 at 13:03

Id say they have already done justice to the N64 game all day long the game is coming along nicer than i could of dreamed of and i put it on par with the best 360 shooters easy with what i know so far and what ive seen Goldeneye is better off with Activision than RARE anyday RARE have been rubbish devs sinse they left nintendo FACT FACT FACT it was the nintendo 1st hand support and more time with projects that let RARE do well when under strict timelines there games suffer and there not half the devs they used to be SORRY

9. Bongo-Bongo Friday 3rd Sep 2010 at 13:44

It couldn't be more obvious that the reson this is being released under the guise of Goldeneye is to make money.

Under an original name and identity, this wouldn't sell that well on the Wii. Pretty much everyone realises that. But put Bond in it and call it Goldeneye and you will awaken peoples nostaligia for the original and you'll have a hit on your hands. Whether this turns out to be a good or bad game, it's a pretty smart move from Activision.

10. morgs1995 Friday 3rd Sep 2010 at 14:01

I sort of see his point, but if he's worried about that why didn't he try to organise a remake himself?

11. Red Deer01 Friday 3rd Sep 2010 at 14:41

I totally agree. Activision have realised lately the power of a franchise name. If this was an origional ip which they were about to release on the Wii exclusively would anybody would pay near as much attention? Short answer. No.

However, Slap the name of a legendary game (which you have bought all the rights to), which people will have prominent memories of playing until 4 o'clock in the morning with their best buddies (some of the best split screen multiplayer they've ever had) and all of a sudden you've spiked alot of interest.

While the Devs of this game may be creating this game with all their hearts.
    Activision only have one thing on their minds. Cold Hard Cash. Its understandable that he's concerned. This is one of the many games his former studio stood proudly upon.

12. Mr Kirby Friday 3rd Sep 2010 at 15:09

He is just jelous he is not working on it, if i was him, i would mind my own bussiness.

13. madhaz Friday 3rd Sep 2010 at 15:20

WHAT! this man seems quite confused, its obviusly bringing back the classic game so people from a different generaton to give it a go. just take a look at pokemon leaf green / fire red

14. Prince_Ashitaka Friday 3rd Sep 2010 at 15:28

Activision doing something to make money? Never!

Good God, I'm amazed my sarcasm didn't just melt my monitor.

15. LaytonMario3 Friday 3rd Sep 2010 at 16:25

I'm getting Goldeneye for christmas.

16. Blue Toad Friday 3rd Sep 2010 at 16:37

I'm sure Nintendo does care massively for Pokemon and wanted new players to get into the old games, but don't forget; Pokemon is the second biggest VG franchise in terms of money-making. I actually think they've gotten ahead of themselves with Black and White; I'm sure it'll be excellent, but I can't help but think "Why are they making this immediately after the G/S remakes? Why not for the 3DS?" I suppose they want it to be the DS's swan song or something, so that's not entirely a bad thing. *shrugs*

I'd like to get the Wii-make if it's good, but if not, well, my N64 is still kicking after all these years. I did much prefer Perfect Dark in the end anyway.

17. mattyboy Friday 3rd Sep 2010 at 16:55

its bobby kotick that means yes, i mean he even said that if a series isn't extortional then he doesnt want it.
    Its not as if they dont run games into the ground *cough* call of duty *cough*
    Also they would ruin existing games begging for a comback *cough* starcraft 2 *cough*

18. SilverLightning Friday 3rd Sep 2010 at 17:19

The difference is that it's not made by the same team or even the same company, which isn't the case with the Pokemon remakes.

19. IfritXVII Friday 3rd Sep 2010 at 17:29

Oh please, he's just annoyed that he's got no part in it. I really believe that this is more than just a money maker for Activision. First of all, they're bringing it to the Wii, a console that has trouble selling hardcore gamer games. If they were really milking it, they'd have made it a 360/PS3 game too.

20. Joe_Crow Friday 3rd Sep 2010 at 18:14

Well they're gonna have to update it in many ways to appeal to new gamers and those who never played the original, which would be at least half thier target market.

I personally would love it to be a faithful recreation to every detail but unfortuanately that isn't gonna happen. Let's hope their are enough Goldeneye fans at Eurocom and Activision to make them aspire to recreate the original.

21. tomutwit Friday 3rd Sep 2010 at 18:14

Activision, EA, Ubisoft. I do not trust these three companies.
    Nintendo, I like best.
    Capcom, Square-Enix, have made some good games.
    Sega, is breaking my heart.

I WAS IN ONM WOOOO!

22. tomutwit Friday 3rd Sep 2010 at 18:19

Whats bigger? Mario, Wii, DQ, COD?

23. Link_41 Friday 3rd Sep 2010 at 20:02

Does anyone remember GoldenEye: Rogue Agent, a mediocre GameCube game from 2004, arguably using the famous name just to make more money, as many accused it of doing at the time? Perhaps Hollis sees a similar thing happening here (I know, Rogue Agent wasn't a direct remake, but with that title, it certainly draws a few interesting parallels).

And guess who the publisher for that game was? ... EA, of course!

24. Captain Kuchiki Friday 3rd Sep 2010 at 20:20

To be fair, every game company...in fact, every company, makes things to make money. Saying they're paying tribute to the original is just a marketing tactic to get people who played the original to buy the remake.

Also, tomutwit, Mario is the biggest video game franchise.

25. Robbo-92 Friday 3rd Sep 2010 at 21:29

And guess who the publisher for that game was? ... EA, of course!

I don't really want to remember Goldeneye Rogue Agent, it was and still is the worst game i have ever played!!

26. DavidVM Saturday 4th Sep 2010 at 01:25

It's no wonder developers won't get behind MotionPlus, Move or Kinect. What they really want is some virtual handbags to smack each other with ;)

27. lminett Saturday 4th Sep 2010 at 07:55

Hang on, if eurocom are making the game and activison are just publishing it, then whats the problem? its not like act' are making the games themselves.

28. bananaoomarang Saturday 4th Sep 2010 at 10:06

I am no fan of activision either but:

he might just be really annoyed that Nitendo wouldn't let RARE release this.

29. greycloud007 Saturday 4th Sep 2010 at 12:16

Unfortunately this won't be as great as the original because it won't stand out as well as the n64 version. Activision may realise it was a mistake to "remake" It, when it's sales are poor.

And cashing in on old franchises is what Nintendo's best at, how many zelda ports are there including the upcoming 3ds one?

Honestly who's going to choose this over other upcoming fps like; halo: Reach, black ops and the new medal of honor?....not me.

30. bananaoomarang Saturday 4th Sep 2010 at 19:38

Well, if it IS a worthy successor, I guess all the millions of people who loved it so much the first time round will buy it. I will buy OOT 3DS, I bought super mario 64 ds, I bought the Wind Waker collectors disk with OOT masterquest. So I guess people who love Goldeneye will buy it.

31. Kirby8 Saturday 4th Sep 2010 at 22:31

Activision, EA, Ubisoft. I do not trust these three companies.
    Nintendo, I like best.
    Capcom, Square-Enix, have made some good games.
    Sega, is breaking my heart.

I WAS IN ONM WOOOO!

Agree with most of this. To be honest, I find it hard to trust many companies because of the way they abandoned Nintendo. Like Mortal Kombat. When was the last time you saw Mortal Kombat on a Nintendo console?

I don't really like Activision. I know they aren't good. EA is rubbish for very obvious reasons (I still like the Sims, but the milk their franchises..more then anyone else). Ubisoft, well....all you have to do is look at the past of Rayman and you have your answer.

Capcom made good games. Do I always trust them? No. When Street Fighter IV came out, but not in the Wii, it was very disheartening. But then I heard it was coming to 3DS. Also, Phoenix Wright and Okami. So happy times. They have become very supportive of Nintendo. :D

Square Enix is good too, but they again abandoned Nintendo for a while when they (nintendo) decided not to switch to CD format with N64.

Sega is breaking my heart too. It is sad that they don't make consoles anymore. They were our opponents, but our friends too. They seem to act in similar ways in terms of what games they used to make. And I hope this latest Sonic game(s) ROCKS!!

Nintendo is obviously my favourite. BTW, isn't it obvious that Mario is the biggest VG franchise. None of the others even come close. It's gonna be hard to top them.

BTW, LUCKY!! I wanted to be on ONM!! But at least I was featured 3/4 times on the website for my pokemon comments (you know, the starter talk...but I don't have much time to spend on ONM website).

32. mikey12 Sunday 5th Sep 2010 at 12:52

[I heard it was coming to 3DS. Also, Phoenix Wright

:shock:

????
    Why are you shocked?

33. volvagia Sunday 5th Sep 2010 at 15:03

Well if he's not slamming it then why dose it say so in the title?

34. 142520452213 Sunday 5th Sep 2010 at 20:21

There is only one thing to say about that guy:

Me-ow.

35. dizzy boy Sunday 5th Sep 2010 at 21:57

had microsoft and nintendo sorted out the deal on the VC and XBLA version of golden eye, would we be in this position now?
    i doubt it.

36. killganon Monday 6th Sep 2010 at 16:27

let's reserve judgement untill it is out and ignore negative comments

37. IPecksU Monday 6th Sep 2010 at 16:50

I don't care as long as its good XD never got goldeneye 64 or even watched a james bond film ever, but i'll buy the wii one if its made well :3