Best Mario Games Ever!

YOUR top 10 revealed

We've been celebrating the 25th anniversary of Super Mario Bros. with a series of special features on ONM but now we're at the big one. The best Mario game of all time. A few weeks ago we asked you to vote for your favourite Mario game of all time and now we have the results. You were allowed to vote for any Mario game and some spin-offs even made it into the top ten. So are you ready to discover what is the greatest Mario game of all time? Read on...

10. Mario Kart Wii (Wii, 2008)

We say: Mario Kart Wii is actually one of the most enjoyable racing games we've played and may even be a contender for the title of 'Best Mario Kart Ever'. Whether you're a casual gamer or a Mario Kart die-hard, this is a truly essential game, and you'll be playing it for ages.

You say: Mario Kart Wii is a quality racing game with very cool tracks like DK's Snowboard Cross, Toad Factory and Grumble Volcano. The roster of playable characters and vehicles are good and the online modes kick all kinds of rump. KoreeluStromboli

9. Super Mario Sunshine (GameCube, 2002)

We say: Of all the adventures in Super Mario's 25 year career, this is the one that didn't really move things forward. Sure it looked shinier than Mario 64 but Isle Delfino perhaps wasn't as memorable a location as Peach's Castle. Having said that, it's still an excellent adventure and the first 3D platformer to star Yoshi. Don't get us started on those Pianta People though...

You say: An underrated classic. FLUDD was an interesting concept and it controlled really well. The design of the levels was really good, even if there could have been more of them. They were really fun to explore and the game was very challenging. A GameCube gem. GameKing53

8. New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii, 2009)

We say: We'd waited 18 years for a 2D Mario to come to a home console but t was all worth it. Mario's traditional Wii platformer may not be rated as highly as the Galaxy games but this is classic plumber action. Easy to get into but with plenty of nods to the past for veterans.

You say: If there's one thing Nintendo excel at, it's bringing gamers something they never knew they wanted. The idea of simultaneous multiplayer Super Mario Bros. was not something I had ever considered, but it is the most fun I've had in gaming. Ever. Of course the game is equally enjoyable in single player, packed with classic Mario moments. A game that just makes you smile while playing it! Shinnos

7. Super Mario Bros. (NES, 1985)

We say: A controversial one. We rated this as the best Nintendo game ever a few years ago but even if you disagree, it is certainly the most important. Without this amazing platformer, gaming simply wouldn't be the same. It turned around the fortunes of the games industry in America and was the start of a series of incredible adventures. What's even more incredible is that it still plays brilliantly to this day.

This game is basically what gave the whole platforming genre a kick start. It still remains an iconic game to this very day. MasterSword267

6. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (GameCube, 2004)We say: All the proper Paper Mario RPGs are well-loved but this is fan's favourite. It's just full of so many ingenious touches such as Mario's ability to fold into a paper plane or the way he's turn sideways to become almost invisible. We love the rippable scenery and the great fighting mechanism, too.

Previous 1 2 Next page

Comments

1. LaytonMario3 Saturday 18th Sep 2010 at 08:08

First post. Wouldnt agree with all of these but still a cool list :D

2. Marzy Saturday 18th Sep 2010 at 08:21

Lol, New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

I found Super Mario Galaxy was better than its sequel.

3. SuperLuigiBros Saturday 18th Sep 2010 at 08:32

I completely agree with most of the list, though Double Dash's absence was disappointing

4. Mscheekymonkeyx Saturday 18th Sep 2010 at 08:35

I agree with most of the list... :)

5. retrotoad Saturday 18th Sep 2010 at 08:44

Loved every minute of Super mario galaxy 2, so its well deserved. But I'm surprised Super mario bros. didn't do better...

6. Slayso Saturday 18th Sep 2010 at 08:48

Copy and paste from Facebook.

‎3 and World should be 1 and 2. Mario Kart Wii shouldn't be there at all. Double Dash!! or Super. Seems a very Wii heavy list and although the Galaxy games and NSMBWii are great they're too high.

Oh and nice to see TTYD.

7. Ai64 Saturday 18th Sep 2010 at 09:29

Super cool list! I Absolutely agree that super mario galaxy 2 deserves No.1! One of the best games ever!!

8. Mr Kirby Saturday 18th Sep 2010 at 09:34

Nice list, but i was horrified at the fact that the super mario bros 1 and 3 didn't rank higher, they should have been 1 and 2 i think, but the rest of the list is good!

9. zapper01 Saturday 18th Sep 2010 at 09:56

I agree with smg2. Maybe the best wii game ever.

10. LuX Saturday 18th Sep 2010 at 10:27

Finally a Mario list where the original doesn't win :roll:

11. Adam_Lloyd Saturday 18th Sep 2010 at 11:14

Agree with smg2 being first. Think 64 should be second. NSMBWii shouldn't be on the list at all, and neither should Mario Kart wii. No gripes with the rest though :P

12. Bexie Saturday 18th Sep 2010 at 11:29

Copy and paste from Facebook.

Oh and nice to see TTYD.

^this

13. sedativegod Saturday 18th Sep 2010 at 11:34

has everybody been taking drugs?
    why isnt 3 at no1 and world at no2?
    all the shamefully people who voted should go and get thos games from the VC and play 2 of the best platformers ever made.

14. bananaoomarang Saturday 18th Sep 2010 at 11:34

Sorry but MKWii should be replaced by double dash, then SMG2 should be replaced by 64, then SMS should be LOTS higher too.

15. MrChewtoy Saturday 18th Sep 2010 at 11:46

Finally a Mario list where the original doesn't win :roll:

^ This. Not that it usually wins, but I think that while some people may find the nostalgic feel of 64 is better than the impact of Galaxy, I still think the newer games are the best!

16. WaterMaster230 Saturday 18th Sep 2010 at 11:54

I agree with your list but why is Mario Kart Wii 10th? anyway Super Mario Galaxy 2 deserves its place at the top. This game was made to near perfection and gave me days and days of gameplay. the graphics were superb and the plot was briliant. just amazing :D

17. berky21 Saturday 18th Sep 2010 at 12:06

i like most others agree with the list but where is super mario world on GB....

18. Bongo-Bongo Saturday 18th Sep 2010 at 12:20

The top 5 really should have been Sunshine, Thousand Year Door, Super Mario World, Super Mario Bros 3 and Double Dash.

As good as the Wii games are, they aren't a patch on some of the older ones.

19. ledreppe Saturday 18th Sep 2010 at 12:23

I agree with SMG2 at No. 1! It was as near dammit platforming perfection as any Mario game has ever been. Although I voted SMG2 as my No. 2, with Super Mario Bros. 3 as my No. 1, LOL :roll:

20. JohnWilliam Saturday 18th Sep 2010 at 12:57

Good to see TTYD there. I suppose my vote for 1st helped it. It's often neglected as it's the middle of the PM family. Best game ever IMO.

21. KThxsBy Saturday 18th Sep 2010 at 13:42

Am I the only mario fan that dose not get the hype of SMG1/2 games? dont get me wrong they are very well made I just dont get the (in space thing) running around small blob planets, for me dosen't feel like a mario game.. shame.. also in 10 years time im sure SMG1/2 will be at the back of this list...

Super mario world (snes) best ever mario game..

22. The Jubster Saturday 18th Sep 2010 at 14:28

I would never say Mario Galaxy 2 is better than the original. Came close, but not better. Mario Kart Wii is certainly not better than Mario Kart DS. Never played the golden oldies on the NES, but I played Super Mario World. Also, one game that MUST be on there is Super Mario All Stars/World. It contains the original trilogy plus Super Mario World and The Lost Levels. It's the best compilation ever. Super Paper Mario: Underrated gem. I'm glad Mario Sunshine was there. That's a game that should be in the top 2. I'm undecided over Mario Sunshine and Galaxy 1 for the top 2.

23. Luxray Saturday 18th Sep 2010 at 16:12

shame mario bros wii didn't get higher

24. luigibros. Saturday 18th Sep 2010 at 16:23

WHAT?! not even one of the M&L games made the list. I have one thing to say to that! I HAVE FURY!!!!

25. MrMouthy Saturday 18th Sep 2010 at 17:08

About time Super Mario World beat SMB3!

26. Cyberguy Saturday 18th Sep 2010 at 17:09

TTYD and Galaxy 2 deserved to be on that list.

27. Mastearl Saturday 18th Sep 2010 at 17:29

I think TTYD should have been higher but apart that it looks rights.

The response on CVG on the other side...

28. strangegoombaIII Saturday 18th Sep 2010 at 17:54

I'm afraid I disagree with quite a lot of this list, which I don't normally do with anything to do with ONM. Here is my revised version:

10) Mario Kart Wii
    9) Super Mario Sunshine
    8) Paper Mario TYD
    7) Super Mario Bros. 3
    6) Super Mario World
    5) New Super Mario Bros. Wii
    4) Super Mario Galaxy 2
    3) Super Mario 64
    2) Super Mario Bros
    1) Super Mario Galaxy

Essentially the same list just shuffled around a little.

29. super yoshifan Saturday 18th Sep 2010 at 17:58

Yay! I'm included xD!

30. wolfy98 Saturday 18th Sep 2010 at 19:10

what about double dash or one of the mario and luigi games

31. mario kart Saturday 18th Sep 2010 at 20:47

I played sunshine again (only got 20 odd shines the first time) a few weeks ago, I really didn't like it... Just not that fun.
    Dug out my N64 today and played SM64, as really great fun :)
    Placing deserved. Don't quite match galaxy, but still great.

32. PGTV Saturday 18th Sep 2010 at 21:03

Very Good Top 10 Lads.

Can't agree more :P

33. pokemanD Saturday 18th Sep 2010 at 21:04

mario 3 should be first.

34. CelticFC98 Saturday 18th Sep 2010 at 21:53

YOUR top ten revealed

MY top ten revealed?

35. Doggie Biscuits Saturday 18th Sep 2010 at 22:12

This list is so wrong it's disgusting..

36. Zenuous Saturday 18th Sep 2010 at 22:13

Personally, I don't think Super Mario Sunshine should be up there. the lack of being able to crouch and pull off your backflip/long jumps and etc made controlling very fiddly. The levels themselves didn't seem to fit in well with the Mario universe. I mean you look at the colourful worlds of Mario 64 and the colourful galaxies of Mario Galaxy, Mario sunshine just doesn't have that, it's way too white and bland, apart from the green grass or something. And the last boss is you basically tipping Bowsers bathtub over...seriously?

Oh well, I'm just not a fan of sunshine I guess.

37. super saiyan Saturday 18th Sep 2010 at 22:15

Super mario world (snes) best ever mario game..

Completely agree with this whole post.

38. piccadillio Sunday 19th Sep 2010 at 01:10

I hate to beat a dead horse, but this list is less about what are objectively the best Mario games and more about finding the average age of ONM readers. It's just slightly less boring than a list of age ranges and numbers. I'll most likely post this comment on next year's edition of this top ten, too.

39. super saiyan Sunday 19th Sep 2010 at 09:47

This is pretty much true, it's shocking how many wii games are on this list.

I'm sure people my age would have placed Mario 64 or Super mario world at the top, but the average age of the voters is probably around 12/13, most of which have never played Mario's games before wii/ds.

40. HNF1 Sunday 19th Sep 2010 at 10:58

That's a pretty agreeable list really. Other than Mario Kart Wii, which doesn't even deserve the top 25; and overall NSMB.Wii shouldn't be in the top ten either. But otherwise that's a fantastic selection of games and those other 8 are truly of the ten best games in the series.

41. potatopac Sunday 19th Sep 2010 at 11:13

This is pretty much true, it's shocking how many wii games are on this list.

I just read both of your comments and i realized something....most people just put the first mario game they played during they're childhood at the the top of the list (except for the people that put galaxy 1 or 2 at the top,that would mean they're 2 years old :)) I'm 13 so my fav mario game is sunshine. cos it was my first mario game on the gamecube(because before i had a cube i had a dreamcast and after that sega stopped making consoles :( ) so 20 year olds will probably put SMW at the top and 30 year olds will put mario bros and donkey kong at the top of the list.quote this if you agree or not!! :D

42. link982 Sunday 19th Sep 2010 at 11:48

I really love Super Mario Sunshine. :3
    My list would be rearranged a bit...
    Super Mario Galaxy (1) would be number one for me, with Super Mario 64 second.

43. Kev_h80 Sunday 19th Sep 2010 at 12:17

Controversial I know but no other Mario game has made me smile as much as Super Mario Bros. 3! From the varied level design through to the great power suits - Hammer Bros. and Tanooki were the best - through to the cartoony graphics and brilliantly catchy music.

The Galaxy games may have their stunning graphics and original level design but Mario 3 was the first Mario game I ever played and fell in love with Nintendo after that!

Maybe we will get Super Mario Bros. 4 on Wiiware someday... :wink:

44. samus_killer Sunday 19th Sep 2010 at 12:46

This.
    Glad to see Paper Mario TTYD make the list, one of my favorite Gamecube games ever!

45. choppaman Sunday 19th Sep 2010 at 14:01

i'm dissapointed in anyone who voted for MKW...

but it's good to see ttyd and sunshine on the list, they're my top two

46. super yoshifan Sunday 19th Sep 2010 at 16:03

This is pretty much true, it's shocking how many wii games are on this list.

Two of them definitely deserve to be there. One is debatable, but one should most certainly not there.

47. TaleOfTheToaster Sunday 19th Sep 2010 at 16:04

Oh well, I'm just not a fan of sunshine I guess.

What? Sunshine was by far the brightest! Corona Mountain was the only place without sun (And Night-Time Pianta Village). It's my favourite game, and should be higher on the list.

48. ShadowofPain Sunday 19th Sep 2010 at 17:20

Why does Mario Kart Wii always manage to scrape onto these lists? Honestly I think Mario Kart Wii is probably the worst overall Mario Kart game. It's far too imbalanced. The other one I disagree with is NSMB Wii. It just didn't interest me nearly as much as Galaxy 1 or Galaxy 2 or even NSMB on the DS. The level design didn't captivate me at all. None of the levels are particularly memorable except maybe World 1 Level 3 with Yoshi.

Apart from that I agree with the list.

49. Smash-bros fan Sunday 19th Sep 2010 at 19:30

WHY IS MARIO KART WII IN THE LIST!?!?!?

50. minirocker Sunday 19th Sep 2010 at 19:40

STOP MAKING THESE MARIO LIST FEATURES

51. piccadillio Sunday 19th Sep 2010 at 20:16

Apart from that I agree with the list.

See my earlier post.

52. ILoveWii Monday 20th Sep 2010 at 06:52

No Mario and Luigi?

Shutup.

53. moyboy Monday 20th Sep 2010 at 07:10

omg extemly hard complete smg 1 which was easy but i am only world 4 trying to get 40 stars but i only have 36 stars

54. Zenuous Monday 20th Sep 2010 at 08:25

Oh well, I'm just not a fan of sunshine I guess.

Yeah it sure was bright. But that didn't help how alot of the game just had the same white coloured buildings. Sure it's got afew bits of colour, but then compare that to the likes of Super Mario Galaxy. And really, you've gotta think what you were doing in the game. cleaning. Because when it comes to platforming, it is way too fiddly to just do it as Mario on your own, since you have to rely on FLUDD. Since when did Mario, king of platforming, have to use a oversized water gun just to traverse to different platforms?

but you're probably thinking "but sometimes you get FLUDD taken away from you!" Yes, that's true, but that just backs up my point further. Those FLUDDless stages were incrdibly hard, and for all the wrong reasons. Mario slips off those platforms incredibly easy, and with the lack of being able to crouch and perform things like long jumps and backflips, it just makes Mario seem alot more disabled without FLUDD. Hell, FLUDD seems to be more of the star than Mario is, which is sad considering the fact that it's a Mario game.

55. arkeous Monday 20th Sep 2010 at 17:52

I agree with No 1.

2D - yay!
    3D - yay!
    Hard (I can't do star 242 :( ) - yay!
    Yoshi - yay!

Just a shame no co-op.
    Mario Galaxy 2 + co-op = (in my opinion anyway)100% review.

56. ShadowofPain Monday 20th Sep 2010 at 19:07

See my earlier post.

Done and done. And I see what you mean.

57. IfritXVII Tuesday 21st Sep 2010 at 02:53

I don't think Super Mario 64 deserves to be in the top ten. That game is definitely one for nostalgia driven gaming only. What was a great game back then is now an awful dated game. The camera is so frustrating and Mario handles rather poorly. The crap physics also mean you die not out of lack of skill but rather because the game just doesn't work right.

It's a shame that Sunshine suffered also because it wasn't a carbon copy of 64. Isle Delfino was such a huge step up over the dull lifeless castle on 64. I know that's partly because the Gamecube has better graphics, but if Sunshine was made with 64 hardware, it'd still look much better than 64. It plays much better and locations are better designed.

The 2D games have aged well except for the graphics of the NES titles but Mario 64 I simply cannot praise.

58. Grimpy Tuesday 21st Sep 2010 at 11:19

Super mario world (snes) best ever mario game..

I actually thought that once too, but that was before I went out and bought them.
    If you put that 'Why is Mario in space?' preconception out of your mind and just appreciate it for it's amazing Mario gameplay, it really does deserve the top spot.

59. Grimpy Tuesday 21st Sep 2010 at 11:25

This is so wrong.
    I hardly played Mario 64 back when it came out but about a year ago decided to dig my N64 and Mario 64 out and finally get down to business with it. My experience with the game was not 'nostalgia driven' and it was still amazing.
    If you can't control Mario that IS down to your skill (or lack of). I came across none of these problems when playing the game except for a couple of glitchy moments.

60. Mr mario fan Tuesday 21st Sep 2010 at 14:52

I think galaxy 1 was quite a bit better than 2 so it should be top. galaxy 1 felt less linear, and just had that magic touch and charm the second one didn't. and i thought that mario galaxy 2 was a bit too easy also. sunshine too was an awesome, if understated game

61. Bongo-Bongo Tuesday 21st Sep 2010 at 18:15

Super mario world (snes) best ever mario game..

I entirely agree with you. The levels were some of the most uninspiring I've ever seen in a Mario game and nowhere near the quality seen in Sunshine, Mario 64 or some of the 2D games. They're still good games but I honestly believe that had the general quality of Wii games been higher, the reviews would have seen more 9/10's as opposed to 10/10's and in 10, probably even just 5, people would view themwith as highly as they do now.

62. potatopac Tuesday 21st Sep 2010 at 19:06

why is everyone going on about how they don't like mario 64 because it has dated.....That's why they remade it!!! :wink:
    Mario sunshine is the best by far and thousand year door is also good.

63. hunter metroid Tuesday 21st Sep 2010 at 19:18

Mario galaxy 2 was no way harder the the 1st in fact the 2nd was light years behind in difficulty as the 1st took me 18 days to get 242 stars were as the second only took 10 days to get 242 stars and that is without a guide so swap the galaxy games around

64. Kazuya Mishima Tuesday 21st Sep 2010 at 21:56

i basically disagree with that whole list.

so my order goes like this.

10. paper mario 64
    9. super mario bros 3
    8. super mario bros 2
    7. super mario world
    6. new super mario bros wii
    5. mario kart double dash
    4. mario 64
    3. luigi's mansion
    2. super mario sunshine
    1. super paper mario

65. IfritXVII Tuesday 21st Sep 2010 at 22:54

This is so wrong.

I can control Mario Perfectly in Sunshine and Galaxy. It's not that I can't control him at all in 64, only that Mario doesn't handle as well which is understandable since it's the first 3D Mario. Also the camera tries to restrict you in certain places and isn't really that helpful when it does give you more freedom. It's like playing an early Sonic 3D game.

Maybe it's because I played Mario64 after Sunshine that I see it's flaws more easily but for anyone to say (like ONM) that Mario 64 is still a AAA title IS going too far. Like Goldeneye and the original Zelda and Metroid on NES or the original pokemon games, Mario 64 hasn't aged too well.

66. allanironmaiden Tuesday 21st Sep 2010 at 23:34

wouldnt say light years behind in difficulty, but i agree that i didnt see much difference since galaxy 2 was meant to be so much harder.....it wasn't

overall agreeing with most of the list...i guess itll always get some gripes because people will see it as the newest game being seen as the best when it aint, i dunno.....for me super mario world is near perfection but i can find fault with most others

67. IfritXVII Tuesday 21st Sep 2010 at 23:46

Of course Galaxy 1 seemed harder but that's because you were getting used to the gravity mechanics. By the time you started Galaxy 2, you had already mastered the gameplay since it's the same as the first.

If you had played the second game before the first, you'd be saying that the first was the easier game.

68. dm_1782 Wednesday 22nd Sep 2010 at 12:13

I agree with this list except for one point which would be to move Mario Sunshine into 3rd place and put Mario 64 in 4th. I dont care if Mario 64 was the first 3D Mario game and revolutionized the way we all play 3D games Mario Sunshine is just a better game due to it having such great environments. Its not perfect but in my eyes in one of the best.

69. Grimpy Wednesday 22nd Sep 2010 at 15:28

This is so wrong.

I do agree that at points the camera does stitch you up a bit, but I found that I just got used to it and very rarely died as a result.

I do understand your point though, it is far too hyped up and definitely hasn't aged THAT well. I think if you gave it to a 12 year old to play now they'd probably hate it, and quickly find their shiny copy of SMG2 to play instead. It still wouldn't stop me recommending it though ;P.

70. amc123 Wednesday 22nd Sep 2010 at 17:16

I must say that I don't agree with the list much.

In my opinion, it is too reflective on how new a game is...suffering for the "New Mario Game Excitement" syndrome that was coined back in the 100 Greatest Nintendo Games Ever leaflet given away with the magazine before.

But, if we take of the NMGE glasses and see things realistically...we would have to rate the games by how much of an impact they had on ourselves personally...and not how flashy the graphics and controls were...

So, on that basis, my top 10 would go somewhat like this (from best to least best).

1. Super Mario 64

It was the game that introduced me to gaming. I'm fostered and when I saw my fostermum beating Bowser for the first time...it just looked so cool. Not only was it the first videogame I had ever seen…it also looked extremely cool…it was like a cartoon that you could move!

I played it, tried to kill the lord of all evil that is Bower, and was immediately hooked.

If Super Mario 64 had not been as well crafted as it was, or have a brilliant control system that anyone could master, I would not have ended up liking video games.

As it turns out, Mario 64 was a superb game, with great imagination, challenging levels and many great moments that would remain in my memory forever. (Such as finding Big Boo for the first time and pounding his head and out jumping a lantern, or riding around on the Koopa shell, or flying in the sky, or that glorious, glorious ending song which brings tears to my eyes every time I hear it)…the game was truly magical and it didn’t rely on impressive controls, it went for an easy-to-use system that wasn’t overly detailed in plot but that had brilliant characters and events.

No game has ever captured that same magic. No game, in my opinion, has ever been designed with as much love as Mario 64.

For that, not only does it rate as my favourite Mario game, but my favourite video game. Period.

Good games aren't about how good it looks; they're about how much you loved them.

2. Super Mario Bros.

Although I played the Deluxe version on the GBC, the game got the balance between hard-and-easy just right; starting with fairly easy worlds but then got harder as I progressed in it. But it was never ridiculously, laugh-in-pain, easy or hard; it was always just right.

And, it had a sense of being in total control. There were only two buttons that had to be used, and in the main (albeit when flowered-up) only one. It actually betters Mario 64 in that regard.

Unfortunately, it didn’t have the replayability factor that made Mario 64 a hit; but, still, it had an easy-to-understand system which had imaginative situations.

A game that everyone can understand and love.

But, as it didn’t quite match the Mario 64 magic, I only rate it as second best.

Still, who can ever forget sliding down their first flagpole…or discovering that fireworks come up at certain times? Brilliant.

3. Super Mario Bros 3.

Again, true Mario magic with easy controls and balanced the easy/hard-ness perfectly. The costumes were great...especially the cute little frog suit…but I can’t quite place it as good as the original Mario or Mario 64. But it is still a fantastic game; magical just like the previous two!

4. Paper Mario (64).

I remember; before the Wii came out with virtual console, I was trying to track down a reasonably priced Paper Mario wherever I could…but, when I finally got to playing it, (on the VC) I just could not have been in store for how great it would be.

It is by far the best RPG game ever; and is a great example of how great the Mario series is…at everything.

The paper-ness of it; fantastic! I hope that Paper Mario 3DS will be just as good!

5. Super Mario Galaxy.

The visuals? Superb. The levels? In the main, superb. The music? Not great. The controls? I preferred when Mario used “traditional” button presses.
    Sorry Galaxy fans but SMG is only getting a number five! It was a great game, don’t get me wrong, but just lacked the Mario magic.

6. Mario Kart: Double Dash!!

Although the game was slated for it’s two characters in a kart approach; I loved it. It added a great strategy due to it. The powerups were superb; King Boo sticking out his tongue, brilliant, and the wildly varied karts? Fantastic.

I don’t care what anyone says; MKDD!! was, and is, the best Mario Kart game ever and I just hope that, some day, Nintendo will return to it’s two characters in a kart approach; or at least have it as an option.

7. Luigi’s Mansion.

Yes, yes, I know. Luigi’s Mansion is a Luigi game and not a Mario game. But it was so cool; had a fantastic ending, and was generally great. Pity that it was a bit short though. I want a remake Nintendo!

8. Mario Kart 64.
    9. Mario Galaxy 2.
    10. Mario Sunshine.

And my least favourite Mario game that I’ve ever played?

Super Mario World.

It just seems like a Flash game that we’d find on the internet; I downloaded it from VC, played through some of it, and just stopped at level 3…never have I played such a bad game…I dunno why; it just doesn’t seem good. Nothing magical about it; the music just doesn’t do it for me and even if there might be good levels later on; I don’t care; I stop playing a game if the first few levels just don’t grab my attention.
    Mario World? Mamma Mia!

71. TaleOfTheToaster Wednesday 22nd Sep 2010 at 18:00

Nobody's even commented here about a certain Legend of The Seven Stars :cry:

72. Grimpy Wednesday 22nd Sep 2010 at 23:10

Super Mario World.

Mario World? Mamma Mia!

It wasn't going too bad until you said this ¬_¬. Can't say I feel the same, Super Mario World is one of my favourites.

73. Zimboo Thursday 23rd Sep 2010 at 08:58

That's an awful list and you have awful readers. Be ashamed.

74. Zimboo Thursday 23rd Sep 2010 at 09:00

Nobody's even commented here about a certain Legend of The Seven Stars :cry:

Mario RPG sucked. It was a Square game with Mario characters shoe-horned into it.

The Paper Mario series and the Mario & Luigi series improved upon it to a ridiculous degree.

75. KThxsBy Thursday 23rd Sep 2010 at 11:05

And my least favourite Mario game that I’ve ever played?

Super Mario World.

Mario World? Mamma Mia!

I will pray for your soul.. lol

76. potatopac Thursday 23rd Sep 2010 at 13:36

mario sunshine should be 1,Paper mario TTYD should be 2 and 64 should be 3
    sunshine was much better...mostly because sunshine was all about a tropical island with of stuff to do and 64 was about a castle.....

77. olcohalic Friday 24th Sep 2010 at 16:15

Mario Galaxy 2 was overrated, had an AWFUL storyline (galaxy 1 had a big message about starting new etc. but galaxy 2 was incredibly bland compared to what it had the opportunity to do) and story presentation, didn't pack the same punch as galaxy 1 and brought nothing new to gaming (yoshi ISN'T NEW!)

Mario sunshine was simply amazing... The graphics were an big improvement from mario 64, isle delfino is very memorable (you could spend HOURS in that place! You couldn't do that in the observatory) and FLUDD not only brought a new angle to Mario's adventures, but a new angle to what makes gaming fun - it was the perfect mix between shoot em up style games without it being to violent.

NSMBW was fun to play with friends but it was a DS game, plain and simple. It was only revolutionary for the WII - COD and Halo have up to 16 players at once over internet connections, and NSMBW has four players at a time on a side-scroller? Yeah, wow. SO revolutionary Nintendo. (that's sarcasm btw)

Luckily this top ten is about 'all time' kinda games, so i have nothing to say about mario 64...

ONM need to go back and play Mario Sunshine again. Mario Galaxy 2 as number one? OF ALL TIME? This isn't the truth - this is what they want you to hear! It's one big advertisement! But of course when you wrap yourself up in a world of Nintendo and never venture out, being able to take pictures on a console is revolutionary - no wait, that's a camera attached to a piece of plastic - AKA a DSi.

78. Johnzaloog Saturday 25th Sep 2010 at 20:53

I agree somewhat but overall the order is way off for me, I'd more put the list like this:

1: Super Mario World
    2: Super Mario bros 3
    3: Super Mario Galaxy 2
    4: Super Mario bros
    5: Super Mario Galaxy
    6: Paper Mario/Thousand Year Door (can't decide)
    7: Super Mario Sunshine
    8: Super Mario 64
    9: Super Mario bros 2 (USA)
    10: Mario Kart DS/Mario Tennis (64)

79. cconroy1 Wednesday 29th Sep 2010 at 12:43

this is so biust.
    how did galixy 2 get the top. i borght it. played. it and got board really quickly. plus it is so cut and pasted. If nintendo did that to another compony, well lets just say there wouldn't be any more nintendo. :? :? :? :? :?: :?: :( nintendo, try a little harder

80. layton lover Monday 4th Oct 2010 at 19:16

I would put it as:

1. Luigi's mansion - Amazingly tense and just a great game overall. Fun throughout and awesome twists around evry corner.

2. Galaxy 2 - Great fun. Amazing retro nods and great gameplay. Win.

3. Sunshine - Amazing. Loved the change of scenery and the different level design. God location and levels.