3DS Virtual Console Will Play Game Boy Games

The feature we've all been praying for is confirmed

We've been hoping for it for a long time, and now it's been confirmed: the Nintendo 3DS has a Virtual Console service that lets you download classic handheld games.

At a press conference held today, Satoru Iwata announced that the 3DS Virtual Console service will allow gamers to download and play vintage Game Boy and Game Boy Color games, as well as offering the ability to download other Nintendo classics and play them in an all-new 3D mode.

As part of a video montage shown at the conference, it was confirmed that Super Mario Land and The Legend Of Zelda: Link's Awakening would be two of the games coming to the 3DS Virtual Console.

Sounds good to us!

Comments

1. chaz 1805 Wednesday 29th Sep 2010 at 06:52

I didn't think it was possible..... But now I want the 3DS even more!!! This is literally the icing on the cake to an already fantastic console, and the best part is that there's probably going to be even more great features announced soon! Consider me psyched!!!
    :D :D :D

2. TheLupineOne Wednesday 29th Sep 2010 at 06:53

I'm just hoping that all of DSiWare remains downloadable and playable. If I'm getting 3DS, I want to be able to enjoy such gems as Shantae: Risky's Revenge. Seriously: is this the best sprite-work in the whole of the gaming world?

3. Matchi-chan Wednesday 29th Sep 2010 at 07:13

Oh hell yeah.

4. ifsey Wednesday 29th Sep 2010 at 07:15

Fire Emblem 7 and Advance Wars 1 & 2 are on my to get list. Hopefully, Ninty'll see the light and stick a translation of FE6 on there too. Y'know, the one with Roy.

Any clarification on the 'New 3D mode'? Will it just make seperate sprite layers millimetres apart on the Z-axis to make a 3D effect?

5. Yoshifan007 Wednesday 29th Sep 2010 at 07:24

yes! now i can play all the zelda games i could never get!! im so happy!!!!!!

6. lol95 Wednesday 29th Sep 2010 at 07:42

So many good GB and GBA games I never played, where as I've never used virtual console console on the Wii, I will most likely use it on the 3DS with no need for different controllers. :)

7. ploiper Wednesday 29th Sep 2010 at 08:32

ope the 3ds has a large memory as i would download a good few games, hoping the golden sun games gets releaced for it quickly.

8. lol95 Wednesday 29th Sep 2010 at 08:52

I'd imagine that the 3DS will use SD cards again to store downloaded games, at least I thought I saw the sot for it in one of the trailers.

9. danbish Wednesday 29th Sep 2010 at 09:03

Finally! I've been hoping for this ever since the DSi was announced and I can't tell you how happy I am! This with the long awaited 3DS release date and price is by far the best thing I've heard all month.

Next March, thanks to the 3DS, I will have no life!

10. Blue Toad Wednesday 29th Sep 2010 at 09:07

The Zelda Oracle games and Golden Sun, Nintendo. Get them on there!

11. MrChewtoy Wednesday 29th Sep 2010 at 09:27

Looking forward to this feature too. Shame I bought a GBA a fwe months ago to play some old games XD
    Oh's well, now I can play 'em on GBA, DS and 3DS! Yays! :D

12. 4th Wednesday 29th Sep 2010 at 09:48

Oh Hell Yeah :D

I absolutley cannot wait for this :mrgreen:

13. shy guy 64 Wednesday 29th Sep 2010 at 10:20

yahoo i can re-get pokedmon blue

eventually

14. skemohedgehog Wednesday 29th Sep 2010 at 11:07

A fantastic move by Nintendo, since everybody has owned a Gameboy at one point in their lives, which means everybodies gonna want one!

I hope Sega release Game Gear games for it too :)

15. Hylian_Grouch Wednesday 29th Sep 2010 at 11:29

zelda oracle and minish cap are obviously at the top of everyones list. they are so expensive to buy new!

16. Oxo64 Wednesday 29th Sep 2010 at 11:50

Excellent! :D

17. Hylian_Grouch Wednesday 29th Sep 2010 at 12:06

will there be virtual boy games too?

18. emperor ing Wednesday 29th Sep 2010 at 12:14

Awesome :) If they give us Oracle of Ages/Seasons and Metroid 2 I'll be very happy.

19. Mous3y Wednesday 29th Sep 2010 at 12:40

YAY! About time Ninty! The Wii has had it for years but I'm glad it's coming even though I still have game boy games and my gameboy/colour/advance. I will download the games I don't have though. (It puzzles me that some people sell all their old games, get new ones and new consoles asap but go on about retro and stuff)

20. Kirby8 Wednesday 29th Sep 2010 at 13:12

I really hope that, this time, they do something in terms of storage. Either give us a decent storage capacity or make games readable straight of the SD card. Either one will suit me, I just wanna download LOADS!!!

21. E3rob Wednesday 29th Sep 2010 at 13:54

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH LINKS AWAKENING! This means I don't have to buy a GBA just to play it again now. :'D This is why I LOVE nintendo.
    Oh god please give us Zelda OoS/OoA and Pokemon and I will be the happiest gamer ever. <3

22. KoreeluStromboli Wednesday 29th Sep 2010 at 15:25

According to Serebii.net, GBA games will also be released for the 3DS Virtual Console. If we're lucky we might get WarioWare: Twisted as a Hanabi Festival release, thanks to the 3DS's gyroscope. The following games should also get released:

Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble
    Kirby's Dream Land 1 + 2
    Keitai Denju Telefang 1 + 2 if they get translated and released as Hanabi Festival titles.

23. Domey3 Wednesday 29th Sep 2010 at 15:59

ME WANTS SONIC ADVANCE SERIES! :O

24. olrodlegacy Wednesday 29th Sep 2010 at 16:09

This is fantastic!!! So many games i'll want to download, either cos i have them and they're amazing or cos i cant find them in the shops... something that would be really nice was if you could link the GB/GBC/GBA Pokemon games to D/P/Pt/HG/SS/B/W on the DS somehow and use this to complete the pokedex and have unlockables of some sort....

25. super yoshifan Wednesday 29th Sep 2010 at 16:25

A Virtual Console?!?!?!

*smashes piggy bank*

But are there GBA games?

26. Nintenmole56 Wednesday 29th Sep 2010 at 16:27

Had the EXACT SAME THOUGHT ! Great minds eh ? But they better not bump up the virtual console price just coz i upgraded my console does not mean ill pay twenty quid for the pokemon game i already have but can't use coz THERES NO GBA SLOT... hopefully my rage and th price will go down !

27. killganon Wednesday 29th Sep 2010 at 16:51

earthbound

28. Argetlam Wednesday 29th Sep 2010 at 16:52

Metroid Fusion, Zero Mission and Metroid II.

What not to like?

Then we have the Zelda series...Golden Sun, Advanced Wars...couple of other great games forgotten by time?

29. Wiintendo Wednesday 29th Sep 2010 at 17:03

This is excellent news!

30. yoshimad Wednesday 29th Sep 2010 at 17:33

Argh, i need this fabulous piece of technology now!!! Oh, i would love to see a downloadable pokemon yellow, ahhh little pixallated pikachu waddling besiide you would be soo awesome.

31. Cyberguy Wednesday 29th Sep 2010 at 18:14

If they aren't in colour, I'll pass.

32. GeniusTheMisfit Wednesday 29th Sep 2010 at 18:33

Next March, thanks to the 3DS, I will have no life!

Yeah I was so convinced that Nintendo would release a DSi Virtual Console. It made SO MUCH sense. But in the end, little did we know that a new handheld was just around the corner, so I can understand how the next iteration of the DS would benefit much more.

Words cannot describe my excitement for a Virtual Console on 3DS, let alone my excitement for the 3DS as a whole. Go Nintendo.

33. zapper01 Wednesday 29th Sep 2010 at 18:44

I was hoping for gba games so i could sell my ds, but this way I may be able to play those zelda games I haven't had the chance to play yet.

34. TaleOfTheToaster Wednesday 29th Sep 2010 at 19:55

This worries me on the Ruby/Sapphire remake front, but

MOTHER 3

35. TaleOfTheToaster Wednesday 29th Sep 2010 at 19:57

yahoo i can re-get pokedmon blue

eventually

I think FireRed/LeafGreen would be more likely

36. Ai64 Wednesday 29th Sep 2010 at 19:58

Awsome! It's quite about time for a handheld virtual console! I so can't wait:D!

37. Everegreen Wednesday 29th Sep 2010 at 20:24

:( ive been dreading this... now i need this... but my poor dsi :( ... hope i can afford it... nintendo plz release this for dsi to!, it will save lots of problems... would have probably have got in anyway... need to start practising my star letters :) lol ... oh well all i really want right now are the zelda oracle games, four swords and minish cap (and zelda game and watch and zelda watch game).. already have link's awakening :)... but come on nintendo!.. or will just have to wait :/

38. Everegreen Wednesday 29th Sep 2010 at 20:26

AND all-new 3D mode? ... :/

39. Nintendo Man Wednesday 29th Sep 2010 at 21:00

Sorry, not good enough Nintendo. Not including GBA games is ridiculous. Fact.

40. Bass X Thursday 30th Sep 2010 at 08:14

But are there GBA games?

Very likely. Its just not announced yet.

41. random_guy_14 Thursday 30th Sep 2010 at 09:43

earthbound

... Which is a SNES game, and is highly unlikely to appear on the Wii's VC, so what makes you think you will be getting it on 3DS VC? xD

5 says Tetris will be a day one download for 3DS VC.

42. killganon Friday 1st Oct 2010 at 14:49

earthbound

5 says Tetris will be a day one download for 3DS VC.

we should get the GBA earthbound game mother 3 as for earthbound in genral my view is nintendo are playing the wuss card

43. SuperLuigiBros Friday 1st Oct 2010 at 19:26

Sorry but why'd you want it on dsi when you'll be able to get it on a considerably better console (it's the 3DS in case you hadn't guessed)

44. RiksilveR Friday 1st Oct 2010 at 20:33

Ooooooh......
    an updated, online version of Four Swords could be interesting.....
    Plus I'll FINALLY be able to play on all the Metroid classics!

45. MajorazMasta Saturday 2nd Oct 2010 at 11:07

will there be virtual boy games too?

My thoughts exactly, it just seems like such a no-brainer given the 3D technology and rarity of virtual boy games. I would also very much like to know if there will be some sort of game boy/gamecube link cable attachment or socket sold, I don't mind if it's just Wi-Fi mode for GB multiplayer, but for GC to GB connectivity surely there would need to be a socket for the connector cable on the 3DS, or a wavebird type controller reciever that could function wirelessly with the 3DS? I just really want to get the Knuckle figurine on Wind Waker and my game file will finally be complete.

46. Everegreen Saturday 2nd Oct 2010 at 12:42

because i dont want to splash out on a new console right at the moment cos of stuff :cry:

47. SuperMarioFan886 Saturday 2nd Oct 2010 at 16:55

THIS. IS. UNBELIEVABLE.

I seriously didn't think this would happen. This is gonna be awesome.

48. tomutwit Saturday 2nd Oct 2010 at 19:15

will there be virtual boy games too?

I love you, MM. That is so true...

Still, we're never happya re we? I'm content with all this stuff now.

49. kezz182 Saturday 2nd Oct 2010 at 23:04

Yesss! I've wanted a virtual console on a handheld for so long now. This is amazing.

50. Red-Wolf Sunday 3rd Oct 2010 at 15:22

Fifty pee says that Pokemon Red and Blue will be on there, with wireless trading and battling.