Miyamoto embarrassed of Super Mario Bros.

Legendary developer discusses Mario with Earthbound creator

Metal Gear Solid creator Hideo Kojima may have called Super Mario Bros. "one of mankind's greatest creations" recently, but that hasn't stopped Shigeru Miyamoto from admitting that he gets a little embarrassed when he sees his 25 year-old classic running today.

Miyamoto was discussing the 25th anniversary of Mario with Earthbound creator, Shigesato Itoi when he said: "When I see this [Super Mario Bros.] so clearly, it's a little embarrassing. Back then, with tube televisions, it was a little blurrier and the images weren't quite so sharp. The places where we tried to fudge it a bit really stand out!

Whenever we work on the re-release of an old game and I feel like something isn't right, I'll ask someone, "It wasn't like this, was it?" but most of the time they tell me, "Yeah, it was like that."

Yet Miyamoto admits that the flaws are all part of the charm. "I think that if I were making that game today, I would fix it, but in a way those rough places are a part of the game and even well-received," he said.

Too right. He shouldn't be so hard on himself! After all, the Super Mario series is the most successful of all time and we picked his original platformer as our best Nintendo game of all time last year.

Click here to read more of the conversation between Shigesato Itoi and Shigeru Miyamoto.

Comments

1. imbusydoctorwho Monday 11th Oct 2010 at 11:55

that shocked me thats one of man kind greatist things

2. Tobeh Monday 11th Oct 2010 at 12:14

It's all part of the charm.

3. Guybrush20X6 Monday 11th Oct 2010 at 12:36

It's only natural to be a bit :oops: about things you made in the past. I got several groan worthy fan-fic ideas that I thought were writing gold at one point.

4. Andy88 Monday 11th Oct 2010 at 13:04

...fan-fic...

There's where you went wrong

5. MrFamicom Monday 11th Oct 2010 at 15:52

I Still game on a sony 4:3 19INCH RGB 15khz and games look great on it specially mario. Old games look overly pixelated on LCD or Plasama. CRT FTW!!!

6. Guybrush20X6 Monday 11th Oct 2010 at 16:31

I was 12 and bored. You got a problem with that?

7. Waldy565 Monday 11th Oct 2010 at 16:45

i remember wen i found out my lounge tv was a tube tv, wen it started goin rong... this was like only 4 yrs ago lol anyway miyamato changed gaming history with mario, he shudnt b embarassed!

8. MrChewtoy Monday 11th Oct 2010 at 17:12

It's kinda funny when you think of him being embarassed about it. What a genuine legend.

9. Locarii Monday 11th Oct 2010 at 19:03

Only natural to be embarrassed about things you've done in the past.

10. Cormsie Monday 11th Oct 2010 at 20:34

Oh Miyamoto ;D

11. shane12234 Monday 11th Oct 2010 at 21:14

Miyamoto you need you head testing lol, it was perfick

12. killganon Sunday 9th Jan 2011 at 19:23