How Mario inspired Sonic: Yuji Naka

Sonic creator on the influence of Super Mario Bros.

The creator of Sonic The Hedgehog has explained how Super Mario Bros. inspired his famous character.

Speaking with Nintendo Power on the 25th anniversary of Super Mario, Yuji Naka told the magazine why Super Mario Bros. was a very important title for him personally. "Back then, games didn't allow you to save your progress. So when you wanted to play Super Mario Bros., you always had to start from World 1-1.You could use the Warp Zones to skip many of the other levels, but you always had to play through World 1-1.

"Doing so eventually became kind of tedious, so I always tried to get through the level as fast as I could. And that inspired the initial concept for Sonic The Hedgehog."

So without World 1-1 of Super Mario Bros., Sonic as we know him may not have existed. Can you imagine a world without Sonic?

Comments

1. imbusydoctorwho Tuesday 12th Oct 2010 at 10:51

a world without sonic is a world without doctor who
    and a world without doctor who is a world without
    peanut butter (i hate peanut butter yuck)

2. FinalStar Tuesday 12th Oct 2010 at 10:58

a world without sonic is a world without doctor who
    and a world without doctor who is a world without
    peanut butter (i hate peanut butter yuck)

I hate peanut butter too. Ultra yuck.

Anyway I really like Sonic so I cant imagine not being able to play the games, its a crazy thought thinking he might not exist!

3. SoulSilver IV Tuesday 12th Oct 2010 at 11:16

*insert joke about a lack of poor Sonic games making the world a better place*

4. HNF1 Tuesday 12th Oct 2010 at 13:47

Ah well, SMB had to have some kind of downside I suppose.

5. scott1and Tuesday 12th Oct 2010 at 15:17

A world with out Sonic the Hedgehog...hmmmm
    *has a scrubs moment*

You're won't get my glorious mind today lord...aiiiiihhhhaaaa
    aiiiiiii...hooo...what..oh yeah, Sonic...it would'nt change history
    that much...unless the Daleks worship him...
    *has another scrubs moment*

Hey, Macarena
    Dale a tu cuerpo alegria Macarena
    Que tu cuerpo es pa' darle alegria y cosa buena
    Dale a tu cuerpo alegria, Macarena
    Hey, Macarena

6. Mmmyeah Tuesday 12th Oct 2010 at 15:35

mario inspired sonic...

well duh.

7. choclate-milk Tuesday 12th Oct 2010 at 15:47

*insert joke about a lack of poor Sonic games making the world a better place*

*Insert generic SEGA-fanboy retort including many a swear word and an abundance of offensive slurs*

8. Light Yagami Tuesday 12th Oct 2010 at 15:51

9. LuX Tuesday 12th Oct 2010 at 17:27

I try too imagine that glorious world.

10. Cheesio Tuesday 12th Oct 2010 at 19:10

If it wasn't for Super Plumber's first game, Speedy the Mole would have never existed! Could you imagine a world without Speedy?

11. blublur101 Tuesday 12th Oct 2010 at 19:51

Can you imagine a world without Sonic?

I don't want to.

12. Heroofhyrule Tuesday 12th Oct 2010 at 20:07

*insert joke about a lack of poor Sonic games making the world a better place*

*Insert seizure from your avatar*

13. mario kart Tuesday 12th Oct 2010 at 21:40

All I can say is... it's scary to think about. Sonic 2 was the first game I ever played, so not having done so could really have made my life turn differently. I can't imagine the changes not playing games would make (although I could have discovered them later, would not be the same, I'd probably be a COD man or something) I'll say no.

14. super saiyan Wednesday 13th Oct 2010 at 09:23

Ah well, SMB had to have some kind of downside I suppose.

Influencing a classic successful series ejoyed by millions, not really a downside.

15. Waldy565 Wednesday 13th Oct 2010 at 16:19

well a world without sonic for me would be a world without gaming, to put it bluntly. I first joined the gaming world at bout 6-7 playing sonic and donald duck on the mega-drive, then got a ps1 from my cousion which absorbed me :P (woop spyro, the only game i played for a LONG time lol), then mario and pokemon on my GBA, then upgraded to a ps2, then upgraded to a ds. Then sold ps2 got a ps3 (which im selling in a fortnight to game so can get games for wii) got a wii, and last year got a dsi. then im hopefully gonna get that mario dsi XL this xmas! woot!

16. tomutwit Wednesday 13th Oct 2010 at 18:38

THE TRUTH IS REVEALED! THE FINAL TABOO IS BROKEN!

17. ARWING64 Wednesday 13th Oct 2010 at 19:51

I prefer Sonic as a character compared to Mario. A supersonic hedgehog is cooler than an Italian Plumber in my opinion

18. random_guy_14 Wednesday 13th Oct 2010 at 20:46

So Sonic's overall fast nature is down to the fact they couldn't be assed starting from scratch and going through the game again and again?

I may be a Sonic fan, but that made me laugh quite a bit.