UK Charts: How did Epic Mickey get on?

Latest All-format, Wii and DS charts...

It's been a poor opening weekend for Epic Mickey. Disney's new game was released on Friday but failed to make the UK top 40 or the Wii top ten.

We gave Disney's new adventure 85% in our Epic Mickey review yet the critical acclaim wasn't enough as the game failed to make an impression on the charts.

Call Of Duty: Black Ops has been replaced at the top of the All-format charts by Gran Turismo 5, Just Dance 2 takes top spot in the Wii countdown while Art Academy is the new DS number one.

Here are the All-format, DS and Wii top tens:-

All-Format Chart (All Prices)

1 (NE) Gran Turismo 5

8 (6) Super Mario Galaxy 2

9 (10) FIFA 11

10 (8) The X Factor

DS Chart (Full Price)

1 (3) Art Academy

2 (1) Professor Layton And The Lost Future

3 (2) New Super Mario Bros.

4 (4) Sonic Colours

5 (5) Toy Story 3

6 (7) LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4

7 (6) Mario Kart DS

8 (11) Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels Of The Starry Skies

9 (9) FIFA 11

10 (8) The Sims 3

Leisure software charts compiled by Chart Track, (C)2010 UKIE Ltd.

Comments

1. imbusydoctorwho Monday 29th Nov 2010 at 10:45

That's a real shame it deserve to sell well :(

I think it's cause it stars Mickey Mouse and people think it's childish cause it stars Mickey.

Well anyway can't wait to play this on Christmas morining :D

2. Ktx8 Monday 29th Nov 2010 at 10:49

Those charts are shocking, who is buying some of those terrible games?? X Factor?!
    At least Dragon Quest is still up there :)

3. sciqueen Monday 29th Nov 2010 at 11:01

I hate this stupid country! Would it kill people to buy a game that isn't an FPS/football game?!

I find the Mickey thing strange because Disney DVDs sell like hot cakes but the people who buy them won't buy Disney games :/

4. yamiiguy Monday 29th Nov 2010 at 11:04

I think that Epic Mickey might get a sales boost near Christmas but this is very disappointing. Not only is it a great game, itís a great game with the most recognisable character in the world. This is the best game with Disney characters since Kingdom Hearts.

5. LaytonMario3 Monday 29th Nov 2010 at 11:06

It's nor even in the charts.

6. samus_killer Monday 29th Nov 2010 at 11:43

I'm hopefuly getting Epic Mickey for Christmas, if not I'll pick it up in the new year. Infact I went shopping the weekend and saw it for under £30 in pretty much every store that sold it, I was very close to picking it up.

Also I think the main reason it hasn't sold well is because; A. It would of only been on sale for a day when the chart got updated (mid-night Saturday I believe) and B. I've seen no advertising for it on the TV or in any kind of media. I'm not saying that it's not being advertised, but I personally haven't seen any.

7. bouncer0304 Monday 29th Nov 2010 at 11:44

Shame really but with christmas coming up i things will pick up. Also, i haven't seen any adverts (bar ONM) which doesn't help matters. All we can do is spread the word!

8. ChrisONM Monday 29th Nov 2010 at 12:03

I think the problem is also that very few of those Disney DVDs have Mickey Mouse in them. People are more interested in Pixar films these days. :(

9. Tom Nook Rules Monday 29th Nov 2010 at 12:16

Congrats to art academy for an all-format top 10.
    Its great to see New Vegas in there as well, its my GOTY ahead of halo and moster hunter :D

10. Teeko Monday 29th Nov 2010 at 13:07

How disappointing because it's a fun game to play on. I'm really enjoying it, it's a nice mix of familiar Mario moves (spin attack!) with a great Disney history thrown in. Here's hoping it does better in the run up to Christmas, I'm recommending it to my friends for the adults and kids alike.
    It needs more advertising to get people aware of it.

11. Stulaw Monday 29th Nov 2010 at 13:10

Wouldn't Epic Mickey more likely be in the end of this weeks charts since it only came out on Friday?

12. PeterR Monday 29th Nov 2010 at 13:17

Shame it didn't sell so well, maybe nearer Christmas?
    would have got this if DK and Golden Sun wern't coming out so soon.

13. xzeldax Monday 29th Nov 2010 at 13:20

Unfortunately I think that people do write it off because its on wii and because its mickey mouse. Also it hasn't been out that long but most importantly there is absolutely NO advertising! Only gamers who have been following its development since e3 or earlier know anything about it. Instead we get ads from jedward and co for games that came out months or even years ago!

14. ledreppe Monday 29th Nov 2010 at 14:57

I hope it picks up some pace, as it's only been out a few days we may yet see it climb into atleast the Wii top 10 by next week.

15. Mendosa Monday 29th Nov 2010 at 15:47

It does look like a very decent game (and I'm a platformer-whore), but I hate Mickey Mouse. Unforunately the character himself is a big turn-off for me.

16. Tom Nook Rules Monday 29th Nov 2010 at 16:33

^completely agree, I really hate mickey mouse, especially the cartoons.

17. BYL Monday 29th Nov 2010 at 17:01

How the hell did X Factor beat it into the Wii charts ...? o.O

18. MrChewtoy Monday 29th Nov 2010 at 17:16

What a real shame. I wouldn't mind getting this game, maybe alongside Sonic Colours Wii. I've not really played either of the two game character's games, but wouldn't mind giving them a go. :D

19. The Jubster Monday 29th Nov 2010 at 17:19

Well I bought it. It's not that great anyway, I would give it 78%, as opposed to your 85%.

20. Avalanche2114 Monday 29th Nov 2010 at 17:28

It's such a shame that it didn't make the the top 10.
    It's even a bigger shame that The X factor made it into the top 10 instead.

21. Violet Monday 29th Nov 2010 at 17:43

The problem is, does the general buying public even know this game exists yet?

Its only just out. I think it'll do better in December.

22. tomster690 Monday 29th Nov 2010 at 18:04

x factor really? major typo or dum public

23. HNF1 Monday 29th Nov 2010 at 18:07

This is a real shame, but I tell you now, I guarantee it would have easily made the all-format top 10 had this image been on the cover:

Sadly this wouldn't have been as appropriate, but it just goes to show how so many gamers these days, particularly of the more passive variety, really do tend to judge a book (game) by its cover. :/

Still, I think the sales are likely to pick up a bit nearer Christmas. It would help if this was advertised more though, as so far I haven't seen any marketing promotion whatsoever.

24. FiveThirteen Monday 29th Nov 2010 at 20:22

Well isn't that just great.
    Not content with ruining the music industry, x factor is making its contribution to ruining the games industry. Not only did Leona flippin' Lewis have a song in Final Fantasy XIII, (I admit this wasn't directly X factor's fault), but they had to go and release a rubbish singing game.

Idiots.
    Also, the people who bought it are idiots because it's a rubbish game, regardless of whether you like x factor.

25. Nick McRae Monday 29th Nov 2010 at 20:29

Mickey. He's no Mario.

26. FiveThirteen Monday 29th Nov 2010 at 20:37

To be fair Pixar is pretty awesome... it's not their fault that disney hasn't used mickey mouse much lately. Being a disney product, i am surprised that epic mickey isn't being advertised everywhere.

27. chrismartin181 Monday 29th Nov 2010 at 20:50

People are idiots, thats the only conclusion.
    As long as people like us buy the game Nintendo and oteher game companies will hopefully continue to make good, inovative, creative games like this.

To be honest a lot of the idiots who buy the majority of videogames wouldn't 'get' Epic Mickey.

28. matey Tuesday 30th Nov 2010 at 06:50

I havnt seen an advert so u would think 4 Disney they would bang out a few UK adverts the US seems to get plenty if u want a game to sell make GOOD ADVERTS camera behind the gamer playing on a White LED tv like RE4/PES UK ADVERTS they sold really well

29. xzeldax Tuesday 30th Nov 2010 at 10:48

The whole point of Epic Mickey was to bring Mickey back into the spotlight where he belongs, not just as the mascot for the disney brand. You would think that if this game was made precisely to make this statement then there would be adverts for it everywhere! It's not like Disney can't afford it.

30. yamiiguy Tuesday 30th Nov 2010 at 12:18

Disney could have done some great advertising and tied this in with the recent release of Fantasia/Fantasia 2000. Mickey has never had a theatrical feature film to himself.

31. Otis P Jivefunk Tuesday 30th Nov 2010 at 13:00

This will be in the bargain bin near the beginning of the new year. I bet you'll be able to pick this up for half the price then. Of course that won't help such games getting made in the future. The problem is, and I'm only going off reviews here, although it's obviously very good, there are better games out there, and many of them. Most of them come from Nintendo in this genre, and given the choice most people would rather go with something better which they know is good than the slighly inferior cousin. If the developers of this game put the effort in to make this as good or better than the Mario Galaxy games it would have sold more, still not as much, but more none the less, so it's partly their own fault...

32. FiveThirteen Tuesday 30th Nov 2010 at 14:54

Sales might pick up soon. I was definitely waiting for reviews on this one. It turns out that the game isn't as good as Warren Spector made it out to be, but most of us didn't think it would be. It's still a very good game. Now that people know this they might buy it. I know all of this doesn't apply to the general public, but it does for gamers.

33. xzeldax Tuesday 30th Nov 2010 at 15:09

Another dvd release that has had almost no advertising which is a huge shame...unless I have somehow not seen any ads on tv :P

34. Shadow117 Tuesday 30th Nov 2010 at 19:14

Is Epic Mickey worth getting for Christmas?? :D

35. mikey12 Thursday 2nd Dec 2010 at 16:44

im secretly glad that it did bad. specters Boastfulness was annoying me.