UDraw Studio: a new frontier for Wii gaming

Art Academy fans might want to watch out for this one...

This natty art tablet from THQ has the potential to become a refreshing addition to the Wii's arsenal of 'lifestyle' software.

It's a touch-sensitive pen and pad which

will come bundled with UDraw Studio, a comprehensive art package which offers a vast range of tools and tutorials. Perhaps most importantly for this sort of software, the developers have also included a load of online sharing capabilities too.

It has been in development for almost four years in conjunction with Nintendo themselves, and it marks a new frontier for Wii gaming.

It's not just a peripheral, you know - the suits at THQ are calling this a 'platform extension' with a new range of games specially designed for the tablet, including Pictionary and Dood's Big Adventure. THQ also promises to keep supporting the new range with additional software over the next few years.

The starting point is this, the bundled software UDraw Studio. It offers a huge number of arty options for anyone looking to eschew pen and paper and step things up a notch.

THQ has worked hard to ensure it is easy to pick up. The button on the pen itself switches between your canvas and your options screen, and from there you have a plethora of brush types, sizes and colours to choose from.

All of these options screens are controlled by gliding the pen over the top of the tablet and 'clicking' down, with sliders on hand to drag around and options to poke with your pen, just as you would on the DS touch screen. You can also zoom into your handiwork to perfect and tweak tricky areas or parts you're not happy with. You can't do that with crayons.

Where art software has the upper hand over pen and paper (or canvas and ink) is in the suite of visual effects, stamps, extra modes and sharing options available.

The range of tutorials will play an important role as well. These are step-by-step video guides which will help new users to not only familiarise themselves with the software and what it can do, but also grasp a range of techniques and tricks to improve your art skills.

A Brush With Genius

Once UDraw Studio owners have mastered getting around the various menus and using the different editing tools, there are plenty of extras to play around with. Highlights include a colouring-in option for younger artists and a playback mode which shows you a sped-up video of the artwork you've been working on.

And after you've finished your masterpiece, you can upload it to Twitter, Facebook and Flickr and your compositions can also be exported from your Wii onto an SD card, which can then be slotted into a PC to be printed out or emailed about the place.

UDraw Studio is a refreshing change from the norm and after the success of similar packages on the DS, it's certain to find a welcoming audience on the Wii.

This is an edited version of a preview that appeared in the October issue of Official Nintendo Magazine. Subscribe now to save money and make sure you never miss an issue.

Comments

1. Super Andre Thursday 16th Dec 2010 at 13:49

Personally i think it could have a bit of success if it brings decent games, But not much.

2. lminett Thursday 16th Dec 2010 at 14:01

i wont buy this but i think its a good idea, and it allows developers to get creative

3. Take Thursday 16th Dec 2010 at 14:51

How did it take 4 years to develop this? The technology already exists.

4. lrwr14 Thursday 16th Dec 2010 at 15:29

I'll just stick to my Wacom bamboo pen & touch.

5. ChrisONM Thursday 16th Dec 2010 at 15:47

I'll just stick to my Wacom bamboo pen & touch.

Good luck getting it to work on the Wii :wink:

6. Declansupermega Thursday 16th Dec 2010 at 16:08

I'll just stick to my Wacom bamboo pen & touch.

Good luck getting it to work on the Wii :wink:

The is this thing, its called a laptop, and you can get drawing software for it, amazing? I know.

But in all due seriousness, I doubt the are going to be any real games for this, just drawing software, and the is tons of great freeware drawing software on the internet anyway, such as Gimp 2.0, and if your willing to go the whole hog, you could order a copy of Manga Studio off Amazon.co.uk for under Ł30.

7. Wii_With_Mii Thursday 16th Dec 2010 at 17:18

Nah, ill stick to this alternative I have. Its called paper.

8. concernedcamel Thursday 16th Dec 2010 at 19:48

if this gets a decent drawing software like flash to make cartoons and junk id definately be on board

9. Super Andre Thursday 16th Dec 2010 at 20:50

If they do release it and Pictionary comes out for it, And made it online it could get old people to play online but I doubt they will make it online. It sounds a failiar but who knows.

10. Mart2006 Thursday 16th Dec 2010 at 21:19

I'll just stick to my Wacom bamboo pen & touch.

Good luck getting it to work on the Wii :wink:

He'll be devastated when he can't play all of the awesome games coming out for the system. :roll:

11. imbusydoctorwho Thursday 16th Dec 2010 at 21:29

Could make a few decent games but there are better stuff coming out soon.

12. reeesy Thursday 16th Dec 2010 at 21:46

Wow, didn't see this coming. But now i've seen it, it feels like a very obvious progression in the 'casual gamer' market. Something like this will be right at home on the Wii.

13. Wii_With_Mii Thursday 16th Dec 2010 at 22:33

I'll just stick to my Wacom bamboo pen & touch.

Good luck getting it to work on the Wii :wink:

That's about as stupid as saying that Playstation Move is an original idea.

14. Deep4t Friday 17th Dec 2010 at 01:34

I hope it does well tbh

15. NintendoFan14 Friday 17th Dec 2010 at 13:25

Why would art academy fans want to "wtch" out for it may I ask ;]

16. xX parsonski Xx Friday 17th Dec 2010 at 16:45

17. TheVelvetRoom Friday 17th Dec 2010 at 20:47

I doubt there'll me much to play with on this, especially considering how little Nintendo supports their own Wii peripherals.

18. geengy Sunday 19th Dec 2010 at 13:05

*rasp*. sounds rubbish. I literally made a topic in the rticle comments about it(Type into the search, THQ reveal uDraw gametablet). thought it was great. now it just sounds like every game will try to support day 1 of its release.

19. sask Monday 20th Dec 2010 at 16:36

wheres my copy of mario paint?

20. sciqueen Monday 20th Dec 2010 at 19:54

I'm surprised the article didn't mention Mario Paint, which I love!

21. MegYosh Tuesday 21st Dec 2010 at 14:55

Well I think it sounds great. This is the sort of thing i've been waiting for, but I hope it's made a success. I'm quite an artist myself, so this is my sort of thing. 8)

22. Phoenix Wright Wednesday 22nd Dec 2010 at 00:05

Those people pointing to paper don't seem to grasp the concept of why people buy tablets...Purely Digital art is kinda hard to do on physical mediums such as Paper. Stop suggesting it!

23. Gamerchicsbutt Thursday 23rd Dec 2010 at 08:36

BAD IDEA..... THERE PROBABLY WON'T BE USED BY PICASSO'S

24. Ocarina Wednesday 9th Feb 2011 at 14:01

I'll happily stick to using the humble sheet of paper, thanks.