3DS: Why SpotPass and StreetPass could revolutionise gaming

Five reasons why Nintendo's new connectivity features rock

We've covered a lot of news on 3DS games over the past week or so. As new screenshots and trailers start to flow out of Japan it's becoming clearer and clearer that the 3DS game library is going to be pretty special. Other than the games though, there are two other features of the 3DS that I'm really excited about. They are StreetPass and SpotPass.

In case both features have managed to pass you by so far, I'll quickly explain them. StreetPass is activated if you have your 3DS on sleep mode (in other words, if you have it turned on but have the lid closed) and walk past someone else who has a 3DS on sleep mode. Your 3DS will communicate with theirs and you'll transfer data, be that Mii characters, high scores or game items. While not all games will use StreetPass, we've already seen some that use it in an interesting way (like Super Street Fighter IV, which we'll get to in a second).

SpotPass also kicks off while your 3DS is in sleep mode. If you walk past a Wi-Fi hotspot and your 3DS is able to connect to it, it'll look for things to automatically download. This could include downloadable content for games, messages from friends, system updates and who knows what else.

This is likely to include your own Wi-Fi connection settings for your 3DS, so when you get home you can place your 3DS in your charging dock and it'll continue to check for new downloads using your home's own Wi-Fi connection.

I've been thinking a lot about StreetPass and SpotPass, and here are the five reasons why I think they're a great idea.

1) No need to hunt about for a hotspot

I once tried to download a new Pokémon to my copy of HeartGold while I was out and about in London. After standing for ages in McDonalds, Pret A Manger and a pub trying to connect to a Wi-Fi signal, I gave up and did it later when I got home. The ironic thing is there are loads of free Wi-Fi signals that I probably could have connected to if I'd tried in the right place. Were this to happen in the future with some sort of new 3DS Pokémon game, I'd simply need to keep my 3DS in my bag in sleep mode. It'd use SpotPass to keep looking for Wi-Fi connections while I walked around, and when it finally found one and connected successfully it would download the Pokémon automatically.

2) Kicking strangers' heads in (in games!)

The coolest idea I've seen for StreetPass so far is the Street Fighter IV figurine mini-game. The idea is that the game starts you off with a small collection of figurines based on characters from the game. If you walk past someone in the street and you both have StreetPass activated, your 3DS will connect to theirs and your figurines will "fight" with each other (without you having to do anything). When you get home and take your 3DS out of sleep mode, you'll be told who you fought on your travels and whether you won. The more fights you win, the more trophies you collect. Clever.

3) Coining it in

The 3DS also has a built-in pedometer, much like the Pokéwalker. The more you walk with the 3DS in sleep mode, the more steps it counts up. "Who cares?", you may be thinking. Well you should care because those steps are then converted into coins, which can be used to buy and unlock items in certain games. Just think: walking to the shops for your mum might earn you enough coins to buy some new Animal Crossing furniture. What does this have to do with StreetPass? It's clear: many more gamers will walk around with their 3DS in sleep mode if they know it's earning them in-game currency, meaning there's a much better chance you'll come across someone else with a 3DS ready for some StreetPass shenanigans.

Previous 1 2 Next page

Comments

1. arkeous Tuesday 11th Jan 2011 at 17:59

Sounds cool.
    I just got an iPad and was debating whetheer to buy a 3DS, but then I got a Boxcar alert from ONM's RSS feed with 3 3DS articles and they have reconvinced me!

First Post!

2. geengy Tuesday 11th Jan 2011 at 18:03

FIRST POST! Phew, just made it! Secret weapon, go! Indeed!

3. geengy Tuesday 11th Jan 2011 at 18:03

aaah... :evil:

4. Casplen Tuesday 11th Jan 2011 at 18:05

When i heard about the pedometer for the 3DS, i instantly linked it to spot pass and thought it was a genius idea! Not only does it encourage exercise, it gives so much sense to the SpotPass and StreetPass ideas. It's brilliant! I'll be taking my dog for longer walks for sure.

5. mariosmum Tuesday 11th Jan 2011 at 18:16

I hope it's proper DLC, not just unlocking something in the game like in Pokemon.

6. me10012 Tuesday 11th Jan 2011 at 18:18

this has been before. countless times i have walked around towm with dq9 in tag mode and not ONCE have i EVER connected with anyone. most likely you will have to enter the mode, and half the time people will forget to turn it on, or just not walk round with a 3ds. if it activates automatically though, amazing. i find it hard to believe how the 3ds can connect to the wifi, download the event successfully to your game, because all that happens in a few short seconds while you are in the range of the wifi, and on the dsi etc. it can take like a minnute or two. bring it on nintendo!

7. noodle link Tuesday 11th Jan 2011 at 18:34

Both.

@me10012
    I know it's stupid how you had to have your game switched on on the DS/i/XL, but now you just need the console on sleep mode. Then there's the game coins. I'm pretty sure these factors will help encourage for StreetPass use.

8. Snizzbut Tuesday 11th Jan 2011 at 18:36

Firstly, you dont have to do anything at all to activate spotpass, so its not the same as tag mode for the DS (which i agree is pointless unless you live in japan)
    As for the 'not enough people using tag mode' the above point (its automatic) and the fact you earn coins if you take it out means there will be more people with it out and about. And if the 3DS REALLY takes off (like i believe it can) loads of people will have them.
    And i agree with your last point though i assume the logical thing to to would be to pause the downloads when you leave a wi-fi hotspot that can continue next time you enter a zone.
    (And hopefully the 3DS will have better, faster internet! :D)

Anyway yes chris i am really excited about this, i love the dlc for DQIX but always forget, AND if i do im to lazy to turn my DS on and boot up the game and go to stornway and connect... this would be SO MUCH EASIER!!!
    I just hope ninty dont fudge this up.

9. Hugh_Ryan Tuesday 11th Jan 2011 at 19:04

If it is done well this could be a great asset to the 3DS. Let's hope it's good, because the idea sounds cool. ONM have missed the main thing though:

MARIO KART 3DS TIME TRIAL GHOSTS!!!!

Imagine that, getting home and finding you have 5 ghosts to try and beat, and end up cursing as they use all the shortcuts and you end up way behind.

10. Buffaloknob Tuesday 11th Jan 2011 at 19:18

Yeah, the more I think about Spot/StreetPass the better it sounds! Tho SpotPass won't be much use here in Ireland... there is rarly events here. But we still get the WiFi ones!

11. mog96 Tuesday 11th Jan 2011 at 19:24

I kinda think that there will be a Pokemon grey for the 3DS :/
    That Pokemon btw. It does fit into the idea of having a dragon and a second element. Think most people would agree. Hang on... wouldn't a Pokemon grey just be really depressing?

12. Argetlam Tuesday 11th Jan 2011 at 19:53

Yeah...come on Nintendo, there's your real challenge!

More events for Ireland, we are separate to the U.K. in more than just name.

13. Empress Bulblax Tuesday 11th Jan 2011 at 20:06

I live in an area where Nintendo is considered to be the heathen of all things holy, so StreetPass won't do much for me. SpotPass could be good though.

14. Cyberguy Tuesday 11th Jan 2011 at 20:21

3DS keeps getting better. :D

15. mario galaxy101 Tuesday 11th Jan 2011 at 20:35

This is all so exciting.
    You could download professor layton puzzles without even going on the game.

16. lminett Tuesday 11th Jan 2011 at 20:43

Both street pass and spot pass are great, but there kinda of just extras. Personally the only thing id be intrested in with it, would be DLC, other than that im not bother by high scores and stuff. Just give me the console and games, i couldnt care about the extra bits.

17. Hylian_Grouch Tuesday 11th Jan 2011 at 20:48

ultimate high score challenge is exactly what i think is best about the 3ds. i am looking forward to this so much. all my house mates are getting a 3ds so there will be permanent on going battles. awesome

18. SOLUNA KNIGHT Tuesday 11th Jan 2011 at 20:51

I think its a brilliant idea im looking forward too it but if i can recomend the ultimate game that could use this function it would be none other than a sequal (Please nintendo make this happen) of THE WORLD ENDS WITH YOU.

Incase people didnt get a chance too play this awsome game there was a function that would pick up wifi waves or something that would collect experience points for certian pins or for those who dont know attacks. how cool would it be too check out new stuff and pins plus when its on sleep and your walking around you would collect experience points for them.

But thats just the start can you imagine all the other games that could use this its gonna be worth the wait for shaw.

19. ThOnlyEarthbound Tuesday 11th Jan 2011 at 20:53

I have no reason to carry my DS in my bag aside from this! And if i carried it around just for this (Streetpass ISN'T gonna work for me, unlike in japan, where EVERYONE will be walking around with 3DS) that would defeat the point of the whole thing!

20. ChrisONM Tuesday 11th Jan 2011 at 21:30

This is all so exciting.
    You could download professor layton puzzles without even going on the game.

That's exactly what's happening. Level-5 has confirmed that there'll be 365 extra puzzles for Professor Layton And The Mask Of Miracle, (one a day for a year from the game's launch date), and they'll all be sent to your 3DS automatically without you having to do anything.

21. timmytiger7 Tuesday 11th Jan 2011 at 21:39

The only bad thing about the 3DS is it's battery life. 3-5 hours is not enough for all of this. You'll be wanting it in sleep mode while your not playing it which uses a bit of battery, and while you are playing it on the tube or a bus or something you'll be defiantly using the battery then.

Hopefully when the next edition of the 3DS Family comes out, it'll solve this problem.

22. Light Yagami Tuesday 11th Jan 2011 at 21:47

The World Ends With You was developed by Square Enix.

23. EvilAmy Tuesday 11th Jan 2011 at 21:58

if the 3-5 hour battery life is true the last thing I'll be doing while traveling is keeping it on stand by.

24. imbusydoctorwho Tuesday 11th Jan 2011 at 23:34

Nintendo I love you.

25. Red Deer01 Wednesday 12th Jan 2011 at 00:01

Im getting a 3DS, And i'll always have this feature on. Why?

I live in Birmingham.
    4 out of 7 days a week i have to travel to college located smack bang in the city centre. Around a 3 min Walk from the Bullring if your wondering how close to the heart exactly.
    The Numerous GAME's, Gamestations and HMV's are the ones which hold the game based events and midnight releases.
    I have to Shop, Eat and generally mess around in a place littered with free Wi-Fi spots and stack of other potential 3DS users...
    In other words. I'd be an idiot not to use this feature...

Only problem is Signing-up or Security protected Wi-fi access area's. I doubt the 3DS has the abilty to hack them in order to access them... It'd also be nice to know how long the 3DS lasts in closed clamshell position with wireless on. I know DS's can last a week and more.

26. ChrisONM Wednesday 12th Jan 2011 at 00:07

Keeping it in sleep mode will barely affect the battery at all, though.

Think of it like using a mobile phone. If you use an iPhone constantly, starting with a full charge and playing games on it until the battery runs out, you'll probably get around three hours out of it. If you keep it on standby though, you can keep it going for a couple of days without having to charge it again (even though it's still communicating with the network to keep checking for signal and checking for texts and calls).

Keeping the 3DS on standby won't drain the battery enough to be a worry, it will probably be able to last a day or two on on standby no problem.

27. MattEdWithCheese Wednesday 12th Jan 2011 at 00:34

most excited ive ever been for a console launch :D

//region locked//

YOU RUINED IT!!! :cry:

28. ledreppe Wednesday 12th Jan 2011 at 00:37

Im getting a 3DS, And i'll always have this feature on. Why?

I live in Birmingham.
    In other words. I'd be an idiot not to use this feature...

I live in the countryside, so wont haveas much exposure to Wi-Fi hotspots. I don't think I'll get much use out of streetpass where I live :( .

29. Snizzbut Wednesday 12th Jan 2011 at 00:58

Keeping it in sleep mode will barely affect the battery at all, though.

Yeah chris is right, i went on my old DSphat to see if it was still working a few months ago but i accidentally left it in sleep mode.
    I realised 12 days later and it was STILL RUNNING! :shock:
    The battrey wasnt even low!

30. nintengeek Wednesday 12th Jan 2011 at 01:59

I hope some sort of Facebook app will be downloadable. Hearing that would be amazing.

31. Super Andre Wednesday 12th Jan 2011 at 11:56

I think it sounds ok, I thought the pokewalker was good because i caught a dratini on it, I do half an hour walking a day so the pedometer should be good for me.

32. Gwiifanboy Wednesday 12th Jan 2011 at 12:01

I think these features sound amazing and I can't wait to utilize them fully. The thought of walking around with my 3DS in sleep mode while connecting and swapping data with other people is making me really happy! This is going to be really big! =D

33. Megadude199 Wednesday 12th Jan 2011 at 12:11

i agree!

34. Nintenmole56 Wednesday 12th Jan 2011 at 15:19

i love this. It's so good that im shaking a little bit...

One problem I find: What if the pokemon it automaticaly downloads you don't want... All mystery gifts seem to have had a limit.(you can only download about three cards)So what if you waiting for,say celibi and it's you last available card to do so and it about two weeks away and in setad you are automatically with out any say in it given say manaphy instead...

Possibly you could turn your 3DS off but then you wouldn't be able to download the other stuff? :S

35. scott1and Wednesday 12th Jan 2011 at 15:39

I just hope the download speed will be fast as if it isn't you'll have to by some stop at a hotspot but other than that it sounds awesome

36. Raien Wednesday 12th Jan 2011 at 16:38

Idea No. 4 will never happen. Nintendo promised the surprise automatic download of DLC content with the Wii, and everyone including Nintendo ignored it as soon as the Wii was released.

Developers have a few tricks for DLC, but this isn't one of them. It's not going to happen.

37. FiveThirteen Wednesday 12th Jan 2011 at 16:54

Slightly off topic but does anyone know if the 3DS will be able to play multiplayer with a DS? For instance, would it have access to DS Download play and if you put a Mario Kart DS card in it could you connect with a DS that was also playing Mario Kart DS and play multiplayer?

38. leoj8 Wednesday 12th Jan 2011 at 17:45

A few people have mentioned this and I'd have to agree; the battery life will be a huge problem. Regardless of how much or little battery life the SpotPass function uses, the 3DS simply does not have the energy to burn on functions like these. 3-5 hours will probably be the maximum battery life on the lowest brightness and maybe even without 3D - Nintendo has been pretty vague with the real specifications. I can't see that I'll be keeping my 3DS on standby throughout the day as that will probably grant me about 1 hour's play time.

I don't normally like to point fingers but in my opinion ONM have glossed over this poor feature of the 3DS - I can't remember reading it anywhere in the mag. I find this pretty disappointing truth be told!

39. tomutwit Wednesday 12th Jan 2011 at 19:14

Unfortunately, the fools at my school won't even notice the 3DS. Likely they'll be too busy with their Ipod Touches.

40. tomutwit Wednesday 12th Jan 2011 at 19:20

Im getting a 3DS, And i'll always have this feature on. Why?

I live in Birmingham.
    In other words. I'd be an idiot not to use this feature...

I want to live in BirMingHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam

41. dannyyyy Wednesday 12th Jan 2011 at 19:55

It's a shame that one of the only problems is a big one. :(

42. Snizzbut Wednesday 12th Jan 2011 at 20:33

The battery life has only just been announced.

Abnd did you READ the comments???
    Try looking up ^^^ there top of the page chris has already explained how standby mode works.

43. ChrisONM Wednesday 12th Jan 2011 at 22:23

Well, Level-5 has already confirmed that Professor Layton And The Mask Of Miracle will have a new puzzle automatically downloaded to the 3DS each day for a year, so it very much is going to happen.

Besides, Nintendo never promised "surprise automatic download" for the Wii. It promised that WiiConnect24 would be constantly connected and would inform you if a download was available, and that was the case (Mario Kart's events, for example). It just wasn't taken on by enough people, hence the automatic downloads on the 3DS instead.

If you read above you'll see that I've already addressed the battery situation, we aren't "glossing over" anything.

I think the danger is that some people have read a simple "3-5 hours, depending on brightness" message and have decided to either embellish that or interpret it wrongly.

For example, you've already decided what brightness setting this 3-5 hours refers to, and whether the 3D setting will have an effect. There's absolutely no way of knowing yet... if anything, it's already likely that turning the 3D off won't effect it at all, because it's already been confirmed that some games will use the processor for other things in 2D mode (for example, Dead Or Alive will change the gameplay from 30fps to 60fps with the 3D off).

The simple fact is that there's no reason to believe that having the 3DS in sleep mode will have much of an impact on the battery at all. The thing that will wear the battery down is the screen and the graphics processor. In sleep mode those are both off. All it's doing in sleep mode is looking for connections and downloading things.

As I've said already, a phone in sleep mode (i.e. when the keys are locked) is constantly looking for connections too (after all, if it didn't you'd never get a call or a text), yet something like an iPhone can last 48 hours on standby.

Do you seriously expect Nintendo would release a system that focuses so heavily on constantly being in standby when it's not being used, and then makes it that the standby kills the battery?

Stick a fully charged DS on sleep mode and see how long it lasts before the battery runs out (you'll tell because the flashing light will stop flashing). You're talking days, maybe even weeks. Nintendo's aim is that people will use the 3DS when they're out and about, then put it in the charging dock at night, meaning it'll be fully charged again in the morning. Sleep mode should never be an issue.

44. HEY_ITS_ME_ Wednesday 12th Jan 2011 at 23:07

Damn it onm! here i am expecting a new punch out (from the image). Toying with my mind :x

45. SOLUNA KNIGHT Thursday 13th Jan 2011 at 15:36

The World Ends With You was developed by Square Enix.

Yeah i know i was just saying lol be cool if there was one tho

46. Pappi Thursday 13th Jan 2011 at 16:10

Whoa I didn't know about most of this stuff

47. yoshimad Thursday 13th Jan 2011 at 19:00

Anyone who doesn't get a 3DS is insane!!!! GYAAAAAAAAA nintendo we love youuu! I can wait to be playing on OoT and blasting through new Mariokart levels, whislt beating peoples scores as well.

48. KokiriThreepwood Thursday 13th Jan 2011 at 20:06

The excitement is building up, I cant wait for the release, all the gadgets and abilities the 3DS has are incredible. Nintendo have really pushed the boundary of gaming now.

49. ChocolateYoshi Thursday 13th Jan 2011 at 22:00

My friend has often told me of this feature, but i have always had my doubts, surely if you're waking along, then the 3DS should need to establish some kind of connection, taking let's say 10 seconds, then the information needs to be transferred maybe taking another 10 seconds, leaving 20 seconds.

Walking past someone should only take about 5 seconds, leaving an incomplete trade of information.

Can anyone reassure me that this isn's something that would just be a disappointment.

50. Kirby8 Friday 14th Jan 2011 at 16:27

OMG I LOVE THE WORLD ENDS WITH YOU!! I didn't know you could to do that!! That's soooo cool. They should release another world ends with you.

51. Nintenmole56 Friday 14th Jan 2011 at 16:27

Don't run with the 3ds in your pocket... Nuff said...

52. Kirby8 Friday 14th Jan 2011 at 16:45

Im getting a 3DS, And i'll always have this feature on. Why?

I live in Birmingham.
    In other words. I'd be an idiot not to use this feature...

I want to live in BirMingHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam

NOOOO! Live in London. Events are littered EVERYWHERE in London. Midnight openings all the time in MASSIVE stores (I still need to go to one at some point). And if you go out to central London....EVER..you are guaranteed to cross tens of thousands of people..and that's the minimum. Of course Birmingham is good too. Ahh, the joys of living in a huge city.

53. Kirby8 Friday 14th Jan 2011 at 17:22

I am loving this feature. I buy EVERY SINGLE POKEMON GAME. Going to events and having to switch to every cartridge at an event to get the pokemon on all games is a GIANT pain. So this will make life easier with the next, if not this, generation. And StreetPass will be awesome and I will definitely keep it on. I am at Nottingham Uni, which has one of the biggest intake of students. So, hopefully, I will constantly be crossing others with a 3DS in standby too. Also, I have to walk 20 mins or so to my lectures and 20 or so mins back. Plus walking between lectures. This is normally 8000+ steps on my pokewalker. This is 5 days a week. So I will be building up a lot of 3DS money! YAY!

ALSO!!! I live in London (as in my home before I had Uni and when I go home and such...I don't commute from London! LOL!) and when I go out I walk abot 20000 on my pokewalker. ONM, you all live in London (as far as I know), so you know that you are likely to cross tens of thousands of people...MINIMUM...if you are out all day. And then I go to MCM Expo every year...if not twice. So you are VERY LIKELY to cross people with a 3DS.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR THESE FEATURES!! I just keep thinking of all the places I go and how it would have been with the 3DS in my bag. I mean, I've walked 2 million steps according to my pokewalker! Imagine how much 3DS money I will get and how many people I will cross. YOSH!!!!

Only disappointing thing is (not about these features) is that there is no red 3DS and (if the other person is right) region locked. Sad times.

And I agree with Chris with the standby mode. I have an iPhone and it can be connected to WiFi and connected to my mobile service provider so it can receive whatever while on standby...but the battery stays very high. If I then go to use it...it will drain...but the life of the battery is barely affected by it being on without being used.

54. ChocolateYoshi Friday 14th Jan 2011 at 17:27

Don't run with the 3ds in your pocket... Nuff said...

It's not running, and i hardly think that people are going to slow down to less than half a step a second, just to receive game items and lap time.

55. Nintenmole56 Friday 14th Jan 2011 at 17:32

Don't run with the 3ds in your pocket... Nuff said...

If it means new pokeymanz...
    call me MR. Snail... :D

56. ChocolateYoshi Friday 14th Jan 2011 at 17:53

Don't run with the 3ds in your pocket... Nuff said...

If it means new pokeymanz...
    call me MR. Snail... :D

Well, if it DOES mean new pokemon, i think i'll just hang around in ikea, full of kids bored of shopping with their 3DS on sleep mode, and everyones going the same way so i just keep up with the smaller children, only, not too close or they might get the wrong impression.

57. Nintenmole56 Friday 14th Jan 2011 at 18:00

Don't run with the 3ds in your pocket... Nuff said...

If it means new pokeymanz...
    call me MR. Snail... :D

The children won't the parents will actually on that point won't th re be some kind of range i remember when playing pokemon battles if someone left the room for whatever reason theyd have to leave the ds in the first room

In the video explainging thse features th pople are pretty close when th details are swapped...

58. Rabbid_girl Friday 14th Jan 2011 at 18:35

Meh.

59. CraigEmberson Saturday 15th Jan 2011 at 02:42

I kinda think that there will be a Pokemon grey for the 3DS :/

I was thinking about this, I don't think they'll call it grey. I had a second idea which was that it might be something like "Pokemon Twilight Version" but that wouldn't fit Pokemon... Which lead me to them going back to metals and black + white + metal = CHROME or MONOCHROME to be precise (but Chrome I think is the best bet) but I might be wrong, it just fits.

60. TaleOfTheToaster Saturday 15th Jan 2011 at 13:17

There's very few Nintendo fans in my area, and even fewer getting a 3DS (at least not straight away), so usage of StreetPass will be minimal to me. SpotPass will be helpful, but I wanna know if it would also work for DS games e.g. Black & White.

61. Eragon Firesword Saturday 15th Jan 2011 at 18:30

There're a few issues my cynical mind is picking up.

1. Time. The downloading feature would have to be instantaneous, or the 3DS ends up with only half a module by the time you've unknowingly entered and exited a hotspot.

2. People. I love Ninty dearly, so it pains me all the more to say that I can't imagine that the event of two people with the same game, both with their 3DS on sleep, moving unknowingly within range of each other is a bit unlikely, to say the least.

3. Likelihood. You mentioned DLC. Now, this bit still smarts. Nintendo have the facilities for DLC. Yet, how much DLC did they make for Brawl? Some in-game photos and precious few stages made with the stage editor (which itself was sparser than the Norfolk Broads). Fool me once...

So, there's me putting a right Meldrew prespective on the situation, but I will be buying a 3DS if only for Ocarina 3D.

62. SOLUNA KNIGHT Saturday 15th Jan 2011 at 19:45

yeah im a huge fan aswell i bought all the pins from ebay there really cool lol. it was a mode called MINGLE were you would pick up waves like when 2 DS are doing picto chat and you could pick up waves called ALIEN waves were you would get 100 experience points for pins its worth looking in too if ya wanna get every pin coz this is the only way too evolve certain pins hope this helps ya out

63. Snizzbut Saturday 15th Jan 2011 at 21:38

There're a few issues my cynical mind is picking up.

1) Its seems pretty stupid to me that NINTENDO, a giant company with thousands of employees and millions of pounds would not have thought of this. :roll:
    I assusme they are using/have developed a new system/technique or soft/hardware to cope with this.
    How long does it take to send a text or email or connect to the internet? Seconds.
    We dont know how fast they have managed to make the downloads.

2) You dont have to have the same games in the system, just to have played the same game at some point in the past. And because Ninty is releasing the good games in stages (e.g. Nintendogs and SSFIV only good ones at lauch) it seems likley that two 3ds owners will have played the same games.
    The coin system will encourage owners to take thier systems out on sleep mode.
    Also i can easily see the 3DS being a smash hit, incase youve forgotten the DS is now the biggest selling handheld console ever, nearly of any console.
    Everyone could have a 3DS soon!

3. The fact that this is automatic and therefore means all 3DS users are much more likely (almost guaranteed) to use this new content gives developers more of an incentive to release DLC.
    In the past only people who new what DLC was would look for and download it but now an old lady could go on her 3DS and it would say "Brain Training - New Puzzle!" and she might be like "OOhhhhhhhhhh!!! Whats this!!!"

64. Brainiac Sunday 16th Jan 2011 at 08:33

can 3DS support WPA security settings for WI FI?

65. wiiman 101 Sunday 16th Jan 2011 at 13:57

can 3DS support WPA security settings for WI FI?

The DSi could (but not for games), so I imagine the 3DS will, with the compatibility with games.

66. jlavnin Sunday 16th Jan 2011 at 17:05

Yeah...come on Nintendo, there's your real challenge!

More events for Ireland, we are separate to the U.K. in more than just name.

agree we dont have enough and are you both from ireland :idea:

67. jlavnin Sunday 16th Jan 2011 at 17:06

can 3DS support WPA security settings for WI FI?

why not it was on dsi :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

68. Brainiac Sunday 16th Jan 2011 at 18:14

can 3DS support WPA security settings for WI FI?

thanking yow

69. chaosmancer Monday 17th Jan 2011 at 09:53

Warning: Try this in Japan and your 3DS will most likely explode.

I'm really looking forward to getting a 3DS, so much in fact that I am constantly looking for it to be available for pre-order. My friend will hopefully be getting one too, so during class, there will be lots of battling going on.

70. ClockMenace Monday 17th Jan 2011 at 14:22

I was wondering about that as well. Let's hope that the range extends to about 40 ft in each direction?

71. layton lover Monday 17th Jan 2011 at 16:01

This could be incredible, i just hope enough people will keep 3DS's on them for me to get some data.

72. retrotoad Monday 17th Jan 2011 at 19:25

This will be awesome! It's a shame the DS couldn't connect to other DS's like the 3DS can connect. The DS sold a bulk, there would have been so much potential for connectivity. But who cares? If the 3DS sells like the DS then there's a hell of a lot of highscores to swap.

73. arkeous Tuesday 18th Jan 2011 at 08:00

Same. They'd never buy a 3DS anyway tho cos not only do they all have iPod touches, they're XBox/PS3 fanboys anyway.

74. Piplup Tuesday 18th Jan 2011 at 16:38

This is a nifty feature but I wouldn't call it revolutionary.

75. C00LI098 Wednesday 19th Jan 2011 at 21:17

Yeah...come on Nintendo, there's your real challenge!

More events for Ireland, we are separate to the U.K. in more than just name.

Yay! More Irish people like me! I feel so left out when Nintendo announce GAME events for the U.K. There is another loyal country right beside it, you know. An event once-in-a-while wouldn't be too hard, now would it? I'm more than happy with WiFi events, but hate when there's exclusive non-WiFi events. :(

76. Flyingleaf Thursday 20th Jan 2011 at 09:50

I pre-ordered my 3DS with Game on Monday and asked about trading in my DS when I purchase it. Which means I can trade in my DS Lite and get a substantial amount off the selling price plus Proffessor Layton 2 and 3 which are both finished too. I can't wait to try out the sleep-mode, I will definately be taking the console with me EVERYWHERE! And I really hope it works for downloading Pokemon in particular as I have yet to actually get a beast off the download via wireless...

77. jct Thursday 20th Jan 2011 at 17:50

I know how it feels. Most people at my school laugh at people who play on the Wii or DS, and say that because the Wii has 'shocking' graphics, the games are all bad.

Stupid, ignorant so and sos. Try playing a real game, and not sweating on COD 24/7. :evil:

78. Toblerone Guy Thursday 20th Jan 2011 at 22:50

Hmmmm... I'm not sure if I would risk taking my Ł220 massive and delicate (not to mention cherished) 3DS into the barging, shoving slamming environment of a School or City. One thing I wonder though is if the range of the StreetPass is big enough to work between passing cars on a dual carraigeway... if so, it could REVOLUTIONISE car journeys!!!!! Plus, I don't know how many people will be able to afford one *pop* just like that in the current economic climate, and so I'm doubtful on the number of people who I'll pass in the street/at school with one ON STANDBY!!!!!! The chance of more than one person just seems a little slim...

But if I were to go on holiday to Japan... :D :D :D :D :D (ONM funded????? :lol: )