Street Fighter has limitations: Team Ninja

Dead Or Alive developer has a dig at rival

Team Ninja chief Yosuke Hayashi has spoken of the advantages that Dead Or Alive Dimensions has over Super Street Fighter IV 3D.

The two fighters will go head to head on 3DS very soon and Hayashi believes that Street Fighter is limited when compared to his company's game.

"Street Fighter is a 2D fighting game," Hayashi told Videogamer. "But for us, Dead Or Alive is a 3D fighting game - so [Capcom has] a limitation with Street Fighter. As a 3D fighting game we have a lot of possibility and it is natural to convey it to 3DS."

Hayashi also had a dig at Street Fighter's use of StreetPass. "[Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition] has a figurine battle. We are in the fighting game genre, and they're not fighting!"

Are you a fan of fighting games? If so, which one are you backing? Dead Or Alive: Dimensions or Super Street Fighter IV 3D?

Comments

1. yubel Wednesday 26th Jan 2011 at 10:51

I'm backing Dead Or Alive Dimensions.
    Iv'e never played a Dead Or Alive game before but Dimensions has managed to grab my attention through the 3DS's launch line-up.

2. dm_1782 Wednesday 26th Jan 2011 at 11:11

Sorry dude Im sure you have your points but I think I'll stick to Street Fighter. Ive played it on the PS3 and although im not a fan of the cramped Playstation control pad I still enjoyed the game and Street Fighter is one of if not the best of the fighters. Dead or Alive on the other hand I've never really been fond of. Its a bit Virtual Fighter a bit Tekken a bit boring. Sorry.

3. 02hollandj Wednesday 26th Jan 2011 at 11:58

i reckon they will both be great fighters,with street fighter been a little better,but their is bound to be those who prefer doa,i guess its just down to taste

4. omegoku Wednesday 26th Jan 2011 at 12:04

Street Fighter is the better known brand
    DOA is known for its jiggle physics.

that said DOA is probably the more technical of the too with the counter system and it is very fast to play.

I picked up DOA 2 when I got my PS2 originally and played the hell out of it. I also played a lot of DOA 3 and 4 in college.

I'd say SF will sell better, but I am hoping to pick both up.

5. Sonic56 Wednesday 26th Jan 2011 at 12:09

They forgot about an important thing. They say street fighter is a 2d game but you can have the option to have it in 3d mode. So that was a fail on there part :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

6. Johnzaloog Wednesday 26th Jan 2011 at 12:10

There HAVE been 3D Street Fighter games, the Street Fighter EX series. They had their moments but overall they are remembered as the dark days of the series.

7. reeesy Wednesday 26th Jan 2011 at 13:01

Street fighter 4 has proved that Street Fighter works best as a 2D game, so I can't see how the 3D viewpoint will enhance the game. It looks a little tacked on 'because they can'.

However, I'm hoping to be proved wrong when i actually get to play it.

8. imbusydoctorwho Wednesday 26th Jan 2011 at 13:11

I've seen some videos for both of these games and I must admit I think Dead or Alive is one pretty looking game and I would prefer to get that instead of Street Fighter IV but we just have to wait and see how they turn out.

9. ledreppe Wednesday 26th Jan 2011 at 13:23

I thought exactly the same! :lol:

10. lminett Wednesday 26th Jan 2011 at 13:48

I think street fighter is a much better game, ive play one of DOA games and it was frankly disapointing

11. mario_boi Wednesday 26th Jan 2011 at 13:51

I have enjoyed games from both series but the inclusion of samus in DOA, has won me over!

12. NOM is NOM Wednesday 26th Jan 2011 at 14:40

I think it's low to talk down a specific competition. Fair enough say all the things you game has that are unique, all the good things about you game. But don't start listing what's wrong with the competition.

Anyway, I'm not sure which of the two I'm getting. I'm swaying towards Street Fighter though, seems a lot more thought out.

13. Red Deer01 Wednesday 26th Jan 2011 at 14:53

Its a 3D mode from an over the shoulder viewpoint. But you still fight on a 2D plane.

I prefer the Streetfighter games anyways. They can get pretty intense at times.

14. lrwr14 Wednesday 26th Jan 2011 at 15:12

I've never been a big fan of fighting games, but both look amazing and I do want to get one. So I would probably pick up dead or alive, mainly because it looks more fun-because you can knock people of the arena and move to a different location....also Samus is in it.

15. fisher2007 Wednesday 26th Jan 2011 at 15:37

Super Street Fighter IV 3D is a better fighting game. 8)

16. noodle link Wednesday 26th Jan 2011 at 15:51

They're both entirely different fighters, really. DoA is pretty much a Tekken rip-off, but that's OK because it's a nice excuse to see that fighting system on Nintendo consoles. SSFIV3D is a 2D fighter, as they said. There's a hell of a lot less moves and it's a little more ridiculous and unrealistic than DoA, but I personally like that. I'll be backing both games, because they're two very different titles.

17. kraid Wednesday 26th Jan 2011 at 16:07

I think it's low to talk down a specific competition.

18. Eragon Firesword Wednesday 26th Jan 2011 at 16:12

What is the world coming to when development CHEIFS are making the sort of silly, petty jibes at games that FANS would?

19. LewiiG Wednesday 26th Jan 2011 at 16:27

I like both, and i'll hopefully be getting both. ive played nearly all Doa & SF games. There hard to compare... one is a 2d fighting game and one is 3d space... I like them both for many reasons, and tbh idc about the 3d effects... im looking for gameplay. Portable DoA and SF is all i want :)DoA is the deepest of the two though. SF is way easier than DoA. Team Ninja didnt really have to say anything though, i'd prefer it if they didnt dis SF.

20. ChrisONM Wednesday 26th Jan 2011 at 16:32

I thought exactly the same! :lol:

The difference is that even in the 3D mode, you can only ever move forwards and backwards in a Street Fighter game. So even though it looks 3D you're still only fighting on a 2D plane (a straight line).

In Dead Or Alive and similar games (Tekken, Virtua Fighter) you can also step to the side and basically go wherever you want in a stage, instead of just forward and backwards, so in this way it's 3D.

21. Mart2006 Wednesday 26th Jan 2011 at 16:49

1) Capcom are introducing a new, optional over-the-shoulder viewpoint, aren't they; so that should solve the 2D game in 3D 'problem'.

2) At least Capcom are actually trying to implement new features that are only possible on this console, although we'll have to see what Team Ninja can come up with.

3) Samus isn't playable!! Nah, only joking, I aren't too fussed about characters, although I'll definitely be playing as Blanka. :P

22. Erdogan44 Wednesday 26th Jan 2011 at 16:56

Super Street Fighter IV.

23. Erdogan44 Wednesday 26th Jan 2011 at 16:56

Super Street Fighter IV.

24. ALink ToTheMetro Wednesday 26th Jan 2011 at 17:35

Both :P

25. TOMB Wednesday 26th Jan 2011 at 17:44

I think I will end up getting both games but probably street fighter iv 3d first.

26. Pie supremacy Wednesday 26th Jan 2011 at 18:20

I thought exactly the same! :lol:

You both fail.
    When they said 2D they meant that you can only move left and right.
    -_-

27. Cormsie Wednesday 26th Jan 2011 at 18:55

I'm going for SF. DoA hasn't really interested me enough for it to warant a purchase.

28. Yirba Wednesday 26th Jan 2011 at 19:36

You can do that in Tekken?! Must be a feature they added since the last time I played the game (back in the PlayStation days).

29. mario kart Wednesday 26th Jan 2011 at 19:44

Not played either series, but I'm going for Street Fighter.

30. mqblank Wednesday 26th Jan 2011 at 20:10

One thing that puts DOA slightly ahead for me is buttons. SF uses 6 which means you have to use the shoulder buttons for some of the moves which can get highly annoying (I use a proper 6 button fighting pad for 360 SSFIV) where DOA just uses 4 and will be easier to use on 3DS. Still, I would still like both at some point.

31. ledreppe Thursday 27th Jan 2011 at 00:00

I thought exactly the same! :lol:

You both fail.
    When they said 2D they meant that you can only move left and right.
    -_-

I'm beginning to understand it now, I've never played DOA before, the first I heard of it was the 3DS version.

I still prefer SSF4 though! :)

32. MattEdWithCheese Thursday 27th Jan 2011 at 01:13

lol so sidestepping=3d?

games like dissidia are the only true 3d fighters

33. Joe_Crow Friday 28th Jan 2011 at 00:17

I love Street Fighter. For some reason the Dead or Alive footage/trailers appealed to me more though. Maybe it's because of the (bounciness) 3D movement.

34. AL X Friday 18th Feb 2011 at 15:28

Ive already got SF4 on PS3 & I don't really like the 3D viewpoint in SF43D + the people in the background don't move in SF43D, which I think is a bit lazy!.

On the other hand Dead or Alive looks really impressive & it will be a new franchise for me.

Street Fighter games always play well but in this case im going with Dead or Alive as I like games like Virtua Fighter & Tekken a lot too.

35. AL X Saturday 19th Feb 2011 at 20:50

Ive changed my mind having watched some more of SF43DE on youtube, I think they will both be worth getting and im more of a SF fan!.