Pokémon 3DS: '3D viewing will be one of the attractions' - Iwata

Would you like to see your Pokémon in 3D?

Nintendo President Satoru Iwata believes that Pokémon fans will look forward to viewing their Pokémon in 3D when the new Pokémon game is released for the new handheld console.

Iwata revealed that a new Pokémon game is coming to 3DS last week and while he hasn't given much away about the new game, he did say that there will be features that work well in 3D and others that will be fine in 2D.

"Naturally, we expect 3D viewing to become one of the attractions when the new Pokémon title is released on Nintendo 3DS, but a number of other attractions, which do not depend upon the 3D aspect, shall also be realised," Iwata told investors. "I have no hesitation about the prospect that a Pokémon-franchise title will be released for Nintendo 3DS."

Iwata didn't say when we should expect Pokémon 3DS to be released but before then we've got Pokémon Black & White to look forward to. It's coming to 3DS on 4 March but we've been playing it in the office. You can find out what we think of it by reading Chris Scullion's Pokémon Black first impressions. You can also check out a video of our first gym battle.

Comments

1. omegoku Wednesday 2nd Feb 2011 at 11:32

I really hope it is not a boring puzzle game or anything.

A new colleseum like game (but much faster) might be a nice way to show off 3d pokemon battles and the villages in 3d.

I seriously doubt it will be the next gen game we want.
    Likely a new ranger or puzzle game

2. jimmyduckegg Wednesday 2nd Feb 2011 at 11:37

I personally think it will be a new Mystery Dungeon game. Then there will be a Ranger game, then the B/W Third Version.

3. nick_gc Wednesday 2nd Feb 2011 at 12:10

Pokemon Black and White aren't coming to 3DS. They're coming to DS. Although I suppose I'll let you off as you can play them on 3DS too.

4. VaatiKaiba Wednesday 2nd Feb 2011 at 12:41

I would guess that this could be a 'Stadium' or 'Battle Revolution'-style game, which will focus on battling rather than the story. Although, I don't know how you'll be able to get your team from B/W to that game, so maybe that won't work...

I doubt it'd be a full 3D RPG - I would imagine that is the Wii game that is in development.

Perhaps they'll have a 3DS/Wii connectivity feature?

5. imbusydoctorwho Wednesday 2nd Feb 2011 at 13:26

I want to see a Stadium or Battle game.
    Think of it,3D Pokemon attacks in your face,Online multiplayer and the use Street pass,it'll be Epic.

Mind you it would be nice to see a full 3D version of the main game.

I just hope it isn't a Puzzle,Mystery Dungeon or Ranger game.

6. omza Wednesday 2nd Feb 2011 at 14:03

A Pokémon game which utilises Augmented Reality would be both really fun, and a great example to other developers as to how they can use the feature.

Also, a full 3D game would be nice.

7. MarioMagic Wednesday 2nd Feb 2011 at 15:06

Sounds fantastic. I'd love to see the move flame thrower in 3-D. :)

8. Serebii Wednesday 2nd Feb 2011 at 15:18

Also, a full 3D game would be nice.

I can see an Augmented Reality minigame collection happening :)

9. MrChewtoy Wednesday 2nd Feb 2011 at 15:41

It could be another full blown Pokemon RPG, just we won't get it for a few years. It doesn't have to be coming out anytime soon just because it's been announced.

10. scott1and Wednesday 2nd Feb 2011 at 15:56

If it is an RPG and they do battles in 3D (he did say some things were better in 2D) then the possibilty of AR battles would be awesome.

"Mum...."
    "WHAT"
    "Theres a mouse and a dragon dueling it out in the kitchen!"
    "Are they near the cheese cake, dear"
    "well, no but..."
    "Then I don't need to know..."

11. NintyFan90 Wednesday 2nd Feb 2011 at 16:35

I want to see a Stadium or Battle game.

Mind you it would be nice to see a full 3D version of the main game.

I just hope it isn't a Puzzle,Mystery Dungeon or Ranger game.

I agree with your comment. A 3D Pokemon Battle game would be an epic venture. But i wouldn't be surprised if the first 3D Pokemon game are updated remakes of main games from Hoenn i.e Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald.

It would be awesome seeing the Hoenn region in 3D especially the large ocean where you could Dive and the route before Fortree City where there was the tall grass. A wild Tropius appears and delivers a razor leaf coming out of the 3DS screen. :)

12. Linkdroid Wednesday 2nd Feb 2011 at 17:35

Pokemon 3DS: 6th Gen

5th Gen 3rd Game: One of the last games on regular DS

I'm sure the third game of 5th Gen WON'T be on 3DS.

13. Waldy565 Wednesday 2nd Feb 2011 at 18:12

while this is good news, much more excited about the wii pokemon game that he mentioned, seeming as my mate told me it was a cross between XD gale of darkness and colluseum (soz for grammer :P) and also, I hope this ISNT an RPG, as we will still have pokemon black and white in our grubby little hands by that point

14. Cyberguy Wednesday 2nd Feb 2011 at 18:19

I'm looking forward to this....

15. FriarLawrenceIII Wednesday 2nd Feb 2011 at 21:24

I'm calling the inevitable revision of black/white.

16. C00LI098 Wednesday 2nd Feb 2011 at 22:14

I hope it's not a Dungeon/Ranger/Puzzle game, I'm willing to settle for a new Battle Revolution, though. A Colosseum or XD style game would just be wonderful (I'm not expecting a main series game)!

17. Sonic56 Thursday 3rd Feb 2011 at 01:05

I'm hoping for 3ds or not they do a huge bundle of all the pokemon games in one cartridge with graphics and battles brought up to black/white standard. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

18. geengy Thursday 3rd Feb 2011 at 18:09

@onm guys, you said Balck and Whit will be released on the 3DS :roll:

19. Waldy565 Thursday 3rd Feb 2011 at 19:22

I want to see a Stadium or Battle game.

Mind you it would be nice to see a full 3D version of the main game.

I just hope it isn't a Puzzle,Mystery Dungeon or Ranger game.

With above, defo agreed! first region i played and must say, the best! (apart from diamond/platinum, they were pretty kool and of course the upcoming white!)

20. oracion666 Thursday 3rd Feb 2011 at 19:52

I have a little feeling this new game might be a remake of R/S....I mean it's a little inevitable with whats happened with previous games.

21. Ktx8 Monday 7th Feb 2011 at 15:51

I just wish they'd do something different for a change. Something like Pokemon Colosseum - which would look pretty good in 3D.