Glasgow loves Nintendo 3DS

Two ONM readers report back from the 3DS event in Scotland

Yesterday ONM readers Marti Bennett, Zain Ilyas and Iestyn Evans shared their love for Nintendo's new handheld having experienced 3DS in Bristol at the weekend. ONM also held a 3DS event in Glasgow at the weekend and today we can discover what Kirsty Logan and Saskia Pilbeam thought of 3DS. Guess what? They loved it!

Kirsty Logan
Kirsty Logan
Kirsty Logan

Going to the 3DS event was a bit like going to see a remake of your favourite film. Are they going to butcher that well-loved classic? Will the new effects and features ruin your fun and taint your opinion? I went with a slight feeling of dread. I'd seen the first incarnations of the 3D TVs in Bangkok and they were rubbish, completely unwatchable. I was worried that Nintendo had just jumped on the back of the new 3D fad.

I should have known better. When in the past seven years has Nintendo jumped on someone else's bandwagon? The company innovated with the Wii and now it has taken it to the next level.

The 3DS is a brilliant wee piece of tech. I have terrible depth perception in 2D games which means I have many unsuccessful and expletive filled gaming sessions, particularly when playing platform games. The 3DS completely removed this problem. I managed to leap from cliff to cliff as Master Yoda, zoomed through the trees as Link and successfully flew my jetpack to safety in Pilotwings (something I've been struggling to do since I owned it on the SNES).

I thought the Street Fighter and Resident Evil set pieces at the start of the event were a bit cheesy, although if Chris Redfield fancies squeezing my waist again I won't complain. Which brings me onto my favourite game!

Favourite game: Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D

I felt completely drawn into Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D and was ducking around and swearing at Claire Redfield to get a move on as the hoards of infected hoodies swarmed in around me. There is something for everyone in the 3DS line-up though: PES 2011, Resident Evil, Zelda and the unbelievably cute Nintendogs + Cats.

Saskia Pilbeam
Saskia Pilbeam
Saskia Pilbeam

Okay, so I'd seen impressive live experiences of Street Fighter and Resident Evil before watching a short video featuring Jonathan Ross but now I was ready for the main event.

The 3DS has all of the charm of my little DS Lite but with way more power. The 3D makes everything seem more real. Admittedly when I first played a game on 3DS, my eyes didn't immediately adjust but after a minute everything was good.

As soon as my group entered the room where the 3DS consoles were I made a beeline for Zelda. This was the game I loved on N64 and I wanted to know if it was as good as the original. I wasn't disappointed. There were three options open to me - I could visit the Kokiri forest, go inside the great Deku tree or battle Gohma. I went inside the great Deku tree as I figured I could get the most gameplay out of the allocated 10 minutes.

I wasn't disappointed as they haven't changed it a bit. The new Circle Pad on the console makes controlling Link very smooth.

In fact this is my favourite thing about 3DS. I prefer games which don't use the Touch Screen and so the slide pad seems like a move in the right direction for me.

Favourite game: Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time 3D

I finished my 10 minutes on Zelda and I can honestly say I would get a 3DS just for this game. It was so good I was tempted to play it again for another 10 minutes but I thought I had better play something else!

Do you want to play 3DS before it's released? Nintendo is taking 3DS on tour across the country. Is it visiting a city near you? Click here to find out.

Comments

1. jolteon Wednesday 16th Feb 2011 at 16:53

Right now I really hate the fact that I live in The Netherlands! There isn't a 3DS tour in the Netherlands!! So I have to read all those positive comments and wait till the 25th of march!

2. hoshixcandy Wednesday 16th Feb 2011 at 17:02

I don't want to cause an uproar about this, but we passed by the Glasgow event and figured we'd drop in.

We were refused entry because my brother was 17 - not 18.

We were unaware of this because there were no signs saying this was an 18 only event.

I was really embarressed about being denied entry into a Nintendo event, especially when they brag on and on about how family gaming is the future. While I was asking for contact details to raise a complaint about the stupid policy, I watched numerous families being turned away, by a company they basically give money to - for their kids.

Harsh reality of it all? No matter how good the event was, Nintendo really let a lot of people down. Did anyone else get knocked back for a 3+ console, just for something like 'ResiEvil'?

3. DarkMace Wednesday 16th Feb 2011 at 17:08

Huzzah for 'wee'!

Also, when they said "I wasn't disappointed as they haven't changed it a bit." it made me wonder. I'd always assumed there would be a couple new features added in?

4. retrotoad Wednesday 16th Feb 2011 at 17:11

We were refused entry because my brother was 17 - not 18.

I'm sure Nintendo could have just stop the younger people from playing Resi, rather than deny them access to the whole area. Yeah, it's quite strange (Just when I thoguht I might go to an event). By the way, I think the 3DS is a 7+ console overall (not that it makes much difference.)
    For the people that did go, hope you had a good time you lucky ones, I guess I'll just have to wait untill March.

5. hoshixcandy Wednesday 16th Feb 2011 at 17:18

That was our argument. I don't understand it either :P

6. ChrisONM Wednesday 16th Feb 2011 at 17:29

We were refused entry because my brother was 17 - not 18.

To be fair, it was an invite-only event, and on the invites it did make it clear that the event was 18+ only.

7. hoshixcandy Wednesday 16th Feb 2011 at 17:33

I'm sorry to argue, but there were girls walking about Glasgow with 3DS signs, it was open to the public. EDIT: By the time we were walking about...

I only found that out on the day, Chris. I wouldn't have been enraged if the signs had said "18 only". It's the fact that they were handing out fliers and advertising this event in broad daylight. So if you understand where I'm coming from, you can understand why I was so shocked that they were rejecting people at the door, while people promoted the thing. Not best planned.

Me and my boyfriend could have went in and left my brother standing, but that's horrible.

8. DJ-Sticky Wednesday 16th Feb 2011 at 18:54

@ retrotoad

From memory, on one of the fan eye views they went to one of these and there was a bit where you walk through a corridor with zombies in cages clawing at you. I don't think they'd have wanted 5 year olds to go through that, do you?

9. GamerKid Wednesday 16th Feb 2011 at 19:04

10. sask Wednesday 16th Feb 2011 at 20:16

Huzzah for 'wee'!

i did write something about them changing the water temple, but i guess it got edited out, i wrote way more than was needed.

11. imbusydoctorwho Wednesday 16th Feb 2011 at 20:49

Lucky people.

12. retrotoad Thursday 17th Feb 2011 at 15:09

@ retrotoad

Its just that Nintendo are cutting out a big chunk of it's potential buyers by "stamping" 18+ on the event. I'm sure if they sectioned off a bit for the older ones, then everything would be fine and dandy.

13. koopa_troopa Thursday 17th Feb 2011 at 16:49

In fairness, it's only the first four events that are 18+, the rest are open to all (even another in Glasgow it seems!).

None anywhere in Yorkshire though :(

14. HitsugayaFan95 Thursday 17th Feb 2011 at 17:27

Do you have to buy tickets for any of the upcoming tour dates or are they free entry? Also, will they be 18+ only as well?

15. Waldy565 Thursday 17th Feb 2011 at 17:32

so glad they doing an event in derby, this soudns AMAZING!

16. kirby711 Thursday 17th Feb 2011 at 19:40

Have Nintendo heard of Wales? Isn't it supposed to be a United Kingdom tour? Or do they just exclude Wales for the sake of it? They go to Ireland, when that isn't even part of the UK (I'm not sure which part/s of Ireland because I haven't looked, so accept my apology if it is Northern Ireland)! Honestly though, what have they got against Wales? The market is big enough here...

.... There's a Welsh banner up the top of the site (an advert).... What cookies are installed on my laptop now!!!???

17. Videogame_Nut Saturday 19th Feb 2011 at 09:52

I wish it would come to Aberdeen! :D

18. Moo-dyman Sunday 20th Feb 2011 at 16:23

We were refused entry because my brother was 17 - not 18.

I don't normally comment but this is true i was gonna go with some freinds but then we could'nt because of the age rating. Its resi i'm hardly going to cry at a game that i,ve played countless times before.

19. DFawkes Tuesday 22nd Feb 2011 at 19:17

To be fair, is wasn't just the risk of giving access to a game above the 18 age bracket (which could carry with it a hefty fine if discovered by the relevant authorities), it was also the whole show.

If some poor young 'un got hurt on their way through the Resi re-enactment (which I loved), they could've been in huge trouble.

I know the T&Cs may seem unfair, but they're there for a reason. I do hope you get a chance to go to the upcoming events and see the 3DS for yourself though, at it really is amazing :)

20. matt8hew88 Sunday 27th Feb 2011 at 00:36

i think they should come to ipswich lol. I mean we have prostitute-murdering-seral-killers so why cant we have a go on the 3ds :P

21. kingshigsy Saturday 12th Mar 2011 at 20:42

making fun of chris are we and nintendo thewmselves ooooooooooooooohhhhhhhh