Kirby transforms Elephant & Castle - Pictures

Woollen pink blobs invade London

Kirby took over a section of Elephant & Castle in London this morning with the help of amazing guerilla knitting faction Knit the City. We were there to witness the event and here are the first pictures.

Elephant & Castle may have an awesome name but it has recently been voted as the greyest place in London. Which is why Nintendo thought the area could do with brightening up with some knitted pink blobs.

With the help of the graffiti knitting artists, one grey section of London was given the full full Kirby treatment.

Visitors were treated to Kirby goody bag which included a copy of the brand new Wii game, Kirby's Epic Yarn - a day before it is released in the UK.

ONM blogger Colette Barr was one Nintendo fan who enjoyed the event. "The giant Kirby is so cool! These guys [Knit the City] are so clever. I really wish I could knit now!"

Nicholas Brown said that the event could convert him into a Kirby fan. "I've never been a massive fan of the Kirby games but I've followed the character and I really like the style of the game. I think this could be the start of my Kirby and knitting journey!"

If you're a Kirby fan, make sure you watch this week's episode of NintendoTV when it hits the Wii's Nintendo Channel tomorrow. Here's a trailer:

Comments

1. kirby711 Thursday 24th Feb 2011 at 15:21

Nice! Shame I couldn't go due to the distance...

2. wewantkirby Thursday 24th Feb 2011 at 15:34

it looks amazing, shame i could'nt go :( but maybe you can send me a knitted kirby??? please :D

3. Poke-J Thursday 24th Feb 2011 at 15:40

This is why we need magnet trains, I need to go to London when these events happen.

4. luigispizza Thursday 24th Feb 2011 at 15:45

Great event, lots of fun and it really brightened up the area, got a free game, said hi to Gav and met some ONMers. According to the people that knitted the display, all has been taken already :(

5. Wiimote Thursday 24th Feb 2011 at 16:01

Cool wish i could of gone too but is to far away. I would of loved a knitted Kirby & that blue thing next to Kirby (sorry don't no the name of it)

6. tomonm Thursday 24th Feb 2011 at 16:10

Prince Fluff!

7. bouncer0304 Thursday 24th Feb 2011 at 16:12

You jammy bleeeeeeeeeeeppppppppppssssssssssss!!!!

8. tomutwit Thursday 24th Feb 2011 at 16:30

I want knitted Kirby and Fluff!!!!!!!!!

9. Gavin Rozee Thursday 24th Feb 2011 at 16:32

That girl gets around a bit doesn't she lol.

Tomorrows ONM headline: "Colette marries Reggie Fils-Aime!".

10. ledreppe Thursday 24th Feb 2011 at 16:35

I wish I could've gone, those knits look awesome. I'm getting Kirby's Epic Yarn, but not until my birthday on 2nd March, so 5 agonizing days to wait.

11. PeterR Thursday 24th Feb 2011 at 16:38

looks like fun, damn my general busyness, is it still on?

12. eleventh hour Thursday 24th Feb 2011 at 16:58

If I make my house the most colourful place in Britain will Nintendo give me a free copy of Black & White?

13. SoulSilver IV Thursday 24th Feb 2011 at 17:39

Nintendo TV caught in the act of filming! :lol:

Really cheerful little event this was, everyone was really pleasant to chat too, the Kirby and Prince Fluff display was very well made, and so far I'm really enjoying playing through my copy of the game! :D

14. sciqueen Thursday 24th Feb 2011 at 18:45

I wanted to go! :( You could send me that giant Kirby to cheer me up ;D

15. pokemanD Thursday 24th Feb 2011 at 19:37

AWESOME EVENT WITH LOADS OF KNITTED KIRBYS AND FREE EPIC YARN A DAY BEFORE RELEASE?

TAXI!!!

16. dudettecolette Thursday 24th Feb 2011 at 19:57

Nintendo TV caught in the act of filming! :lol:

What a great picture XD Yeah I loved today, I'm glad I went. I can't believe how awesome those knitted Kirby and Pince Fluff were. So cute.....I wish I could knit!

17. Wiimote Thursday 24th Feb 2011 at 20:51

Prince Fluff!

What an awesome name, Prince Fluff :lol: funny too. There should be a voucher in the new ONM so everyone can get there own knitted Kirby & Prince Fluff. Im sure those people wouldn't mind knitting for the mag :wink:

18. ThOnlyEarthbound Thursday 24th Feb 2011 at 21:16

Are you joking? ALWAYS IN LONDON D:<

19. okamiwolf21 Thursday 24th Feb 2011 at 21:20

could you get the game just by visiting? like for free??
    :?

20. imbusydoctorwho Thursday 24th Feb 2011 at 22:00

I wish I lived in London.

21. Waldy565 Friday 25th Feb 2011 at 11:36

AWESOME! lol my mum sews for her job so she would've just whizzed through like 50 kirbys :P

22. luigispizza Friday 25th Feb 2011 at 17:04

Sneaky shot of Gav on the right, found on the Metro website. I'm on the left behind the guy in black, you can just see my blue jacket :P