Nintendo 3DS breaks Wii pre-order record

It's the most pre-ordered console in Amazon's history

Nintendo 3DS is the most pre-ordered console of all time according to online retailer Amazon.

According to Amazon, pre-orders on their site has smashed through the previous record set by PS3. 3DS pre-orders are currently 20 percent stronger than they were for PS3, 56 percent greater than they were for Wii, and a massive 255 percent more than they were for DSi.

"It's unusual for a handheld console to attract this amount of excitement in the run up to launch," said Amazon.co.uk 's director of games, Chris Poad.

"Such high levels of interest are normally reserved for the play-at-home hardware like the ground-breaking Nintendo Wii and last year's Microsoft Kinect."

He added: "Nintendo 3DS is launching at a time when interest in all things 3D is incredibly high and with the promise of real 3D graphics without glasses, it's a real breakthrough in handheld video game entertainment".

Amazon has just dropped the price of 3DS on its website to £187.

Here are the best Nintendo 3DS pre-order deals.

Comments

1. Gerry-rich Thursday 17th Mar 2011 at 12:43

This is good news as I like the 3DS and I'm one of the people who pre-ordered off amazon.co.uk, it will sell over 100,000 in UK alone on launch week for sure.

2. Malice of Yoshi Thursday 17th Mar 2011 at 13:03

I'm surprised it has done so well considering the price of the thing. I'm going to hold out until June before getting one. Hopefully the price has come down a little more and Ocarina of Time 3D is released.

3. 08boatfg Thursday 17th Mar 2011 at 13:04

Damn it!!! I got a GAME voucher for it at Christmas. Could've got an extra game! :(

4. Badger3112 Thursday 17th Mar 2011 at 13:20

Does this mean there are going to be problems due to demand.

I'd better not get an email next week saying they haven't got enough stock to satisfy the orders placed

5. imbusydoctorwho Thursday 17th Mar 2011 at 13:53

Great news.
    I expect a day one sell out.

6. FatBoyFat Thursday 17th Mar 2011 at 14:09

Fantastic news, I really can't wait to receive my 3DS!

7. MrChewtoy Thursday 17th Mar 2011 at 15:36

It was obviously going to do better than the DSi pre-orders, what with it being the next gen of consoles rather than an (albeit nice) upgrade.

8. gadgetgirl16 Thursday 17th Mar 2011 at 15:50

It does concern me that the stores could run out of consoles, I am definitely sticking with my order now even if the price is lower elsewhere. Am very excited now don't want to be disappointed by an out of stock email. :?

9. giantsandles Thursday 17th Mar 2011 at 16:42

The price won't get any lower for some time, it took years for the Wii's price to drop from 180, and - judging by the demand for this thing - this won't be very different.

10. The_Legend_not Thursday 17th Mar 2011 at 16:50

WOOT! NINTENDO TRIUMPHS

11. ale96gamer Thursday 17th Mar 2011 at 17:11

Things are already looking good for the 3ds. Looks like Nintendo will stay on top of the handheld gaming market for another generation...

12. canand Thursday 17th Mar 2011 at 20:00

Cool well done Nintendo.

13. CDS Friday 18th Mar 2011 at 17:31

This is great news! :D

I preordered from a Toys R Us shop near to where I live, and I saw the preorder book they were using.
    IT WAS NEARLY EMPTY!

This only proves that the 3DS is proving to be most popular console.

Although other people might hold off until the likes of Zelda and Starfox.

They'll be missing out on great features, then. :shock:

14. KrazyBean Friday 18th Mar 2011 at 19:17

Damn...Impressive stuff...3DS FTW!!! :D

15. Avalanche2114 Saturday 19th Mar 2011 at 20:53

Thats great! I can't wait until I get my 3DS.

I am counting down the milliseconds.

16. CDS Saturday 19th Mar 2011 at 21:52

Milliseconds? I am excited, but I wouldn't want to be THAT accurate.

Anyway, latest from VGChartz has the amount of 3DS' sold nearly at 700,000 thousand already!
    THATS ALMOST 700,000 IN A MONTH!

I wonder if the UK can beat that?

VGChartz
    Console 3DS
    Japan 678,160

17. andmaggie Sunday 20th Mar 2011 at 10:38

I've got Cosmos Black pre-ordered from Amazon-I hope it comes on time because if it doesn't I will be very upset!

18. Link9427 Sunday 20th Mar 2011 at 16:18

YESTHEN 3DS! :D

19. L_Reid Sunday 20th Mar 2011 at 22:06

Touring the 3DS around the country was a great move by nintendo, I don't think nearly as many people would have pre-ordered if they hadn't tried it first.