Pikmin is the definition of beautiful

Your memories of playing Pikmin... Includes Pikmin 3 ideas!

Pikmin have found a new home on Nintendo 3DS. Yes, despite being away from the scene for seven years, these colourful little vegetable aliens are stars of the 3DS AR Cards and they've even got their own Puzzle Swap picture.

Considering Pikmin only starred in two GameCube games, it's perhaps surprising to see them figure alongside Nintendo giants such as Mario, Samus Aran, Link and Kirby on the AR Cards and we can imagine a few people who came to Nintendo gaming recently might not even know who they were.

Yet, for those who played the GameCube titles, Pikmin fully deserve their place in the limelight once again and fans can't wait to see them return in Pikmin 3. As ONM forum member DJEvan says: "The game is such a great strategy game that stands among the other Nintendo A-listers."

Pikmin is a Nintendo strategy series created by Shigeru Miyamoto. While many strategy games are based on war, Miyamoto's garden is said to have been the inspiration for Pikmin. If so, he must have the most beautiful, charming and downright odd garden of all time.

LaytonMario3 is another forum member who remembers playing Pikmin well. "Pikmin is in some ways the best strategy game I have ever played. It was colourful and different than anything I had played before."

It certainly was different from any Nintendo game. You control Captain Olimar (you may also know him from Smash Bros Brawl), an astronaut whose spaceship is hit by a meteor as he's taking a holiday in space. He crash lands on a planet inhabited by Pikmin and immediately tasks them with finding 30 missing parts of his ship in 30 days.

Meanwhile, you also helped the Pikmin increase their population and learn to fend for themselves against the other dangerous creatures that live on the planet.

If the first Pikmin game was good, the second was bigger and arguably even better. The time limit was ditched but this bigger adventure let you control two characters and there were two new types of Pikmin to help you.

danbish is one fan who enjoyed the first game but preferred the sequel. "I loved playing both Pikmin games and still do today," he says. "The first offered something totally unique that could have only been born in the mind of Shigeru Miyamoto and the second took everything good about the first and made it bigger and better.

"Although I did kind of like the time limit from the first as only having 30 days made you feel for Olimar knowing his life was in your hands. Plus, there was something quite satisfying about having an army of minions willing to fight and die for you!"

And they died for you in their droves. In fact, death (and its resulting guilt) was your biggest memory of Pikmin. We can remember only too well trying to plot a course for our red Pikmin only for a few to wander aimlessly into a pool of water.

ONM Facebook fan Jack Dobson said. "Well.. I can remember death, lots of little Pikmin deaths. Emperor Evil remembers feeling bad when he lost his Pikmin during one encounter with a beast. "For a fun and charming game some of the beasts are tough to kill, and some ship parts are hard to find. I do feel terrible though, when I guide my Pikmin into the mouth of a Bulborb."

As Null points out it's just too easy to get attached to these cute creatures. "No one ever forgets the time they accidently left one Pikmin, then watched the screen as it would get eaten or crushed. It's very easy to get attached to the little buggers."

Previous 1 2 Next page

Comments

1. DJEvan Wednesday 6th Apr 2011 at 16:32

Woop! First post!
    And I got TWO comments in the feature!!! I'm so happy!! :D
    Let's hope Nintendo bring out Pikmin 3 this year!!

2. LaytonMario3 Wednesday 6th Apr 2011 at 16:33

Pikmin 3 is high on my wishlist and I think it might be among the best on the 3DS if released. I wouldn't say no to any Wii ones as well.

3. Nintendoverse Wednesday 6th Apr 2011 at 16:36

I owned Pikmin 1 and 2 on Gamecube. Pikmin 2 is one the best games I've ever played. I hope that Pikmin AR card is a little sign by Nintendo that they haven't forgotten about about those little guys.

4. Ai64 Wednesday 6th Apr 2011 at 17:03

I own both pikmin games on gamecube still. The sequal is one of my favourite games too. So much to look at and such. We definatly need pikmin 3 soon!

5. Avalanche2114 Wednesday 6th Apr 2011 at 17:05

I have never played a PIkmin game but I want to play atleast one in the series. I might pick up a New Play Control Pikmin soon.

6. KoreeluStromboli Wednesday 6th Apr 2011 at 17:25

A couple of years ago I bought a pre-owned copy of Pikmin for the sake of getting the last trophy I needed on my copy of Super Smash Bros Melee., which I bought roughly around the same time as Pikmin. I gave Pikmin a go but sadly, I didn't like it becauseI found it frustrating due to me being bad at the game. I'm such a noob.

Words cannot express how sorry I am about that but I'm glad that you other forumites like the franchise.

7. MrChewtoy Wednesday 6th Apr 2011 at 18:05

Pikmin have found a new home on Nintendo 3DS.

For a moment there I thought you were going to announce Pikmin 3D. I still think that's going to happen, after all Miyamoto said Pikmin was for Wii before the 3DS had been announced (iirc), and so it could just be released for both platforms. And sticking that "D" on the end of any third installment is sure to please fans (alright, with the excpetion of Jaws 3D and about 50 others).

Must buy Pikmin 2 now, I've become hooked.

8. Redfish20 Wednesday 6th Apr 2011 at 18:26

Is no-one going to mention the vs mode from Pikmin 2? That was brilliantly done, managing to condense such an open game into a frantic battle. Plus the handicap system meant noobs could play and veterans could still have their challenge.

9. Riverlution Wednesday 6th Apr 2011 at 20:19

That VS mode in Pikmin 2 was awesome, actually. Online multiplayer was needed to really open that up though, as I am the only person I know who knew how to play that game.

10. izakthegoomba Wednesday 6th Apr 2011 at 22:13

It's a little sad that Pikmin 3 is on the Wii. With a bit of luck we'll get Pikmin 4 on 3DS eventually.

11. concernedcamel Wednesday 6th Apr 2011 at 23:19

Its true pikmin is a special game the music is what I remember most its so calming and peaceful and the game itself is a joy to play, you really do get lost In your own little world.

12. super saiyan Thursday 7th Apr 2011 at 09:31

In my opinion, Pikmin 2 is one of the greatest games ever made, I ended up collecting every treasure in the game, being 1 of just a handful of games I've 100% completed.
    The `boss` fights in each cave (like, Emperor Bulblax, Burrowing Snagret, Segmented Crawbster, etc.) were all brilliant.

13. MrGooseyMoose Thursday 7th Apr 2011 at 09:50

See, I always preferred the first game. Something about it always seemed so...special, I guess.

14. CDS Thursday 7th Apr 2011 at 15:27

Just started playing the first Pikmin on my Gamecube again last night and instantly fell in love with it again after more than two years without playing.

And I bet Pikmin 3 will be shown off at E3, you bet. For the 3DS and Wii.

15. popcorn man Thursday 7th Apr 2011 at 16:52

I need to start playing Pikmin again. For so long I haven't wandered the planet with my army of Pikmin..
    Ever since I had Pokémon Black, Pikmin hasn't been in my Gamecube disk drive. I shall do justice and play it tonight!!!

And also a mention in the feature is nice seeing I never get mentioned.

16. danbish Thursday 7th Apr 2011 at 18:15

It's been far too long without a new Pikmin game and a the new one is long overdue which I can't wait for! Both the Wii and 3DS are perfectly suited to them and I hope the 3DS gets it's own soon. I love those little fellas and I still get the guilty feeling everytime any of them die.

Also nice to have a mention in the feature too, it's my first one! :D

17. ginjaninja Thursday 7th Apr 2011 at 19:04

they look cool an all but i would of prefaired someone else for the AR cards, mabey a pokemon

18. Waldy565 Friday 8th Apr 2011 at 18:24

Because i got a PS2 insted of a gamecube (which i realsie was a abd choice, but wasnt a real ninty fan back then like i am now) i never got to play great games, one being this. I hope Pikmin 3 improves on the wii one, as I wasn't that interested and this may drag me in. I need a game like this on the wii :P

19. LavaTwilight Saturday 9th Apr 2011 at 18:22

Like Koreelu I only bought Pikmin for that final Smash Bros Melee trophy but unlike Koreelu I absolutely loved it! So beautifully rendered and marvellously melodious, everything about it was great and it's been said before, Pikmin 2 improved the perfection of 1 in so many ways.
    More levels, maybe a use on a 4player mode and new pikmin would be great! I love the ghost pikmin idea, it'll make those blowing enemies more than just a bit annoying. I think the ability to 'grow' and harvest the parasite pikmin that became the bulbmin would massively open more strategy and fighting opportunities.
    Online play or downloadable content? Cmon Nintendo, you could make Pikmin 3 HUGE!

20. azay04 Monday 11th Apr 2011 at 18:35

MY QUOTE IS THE TITLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOPPPAAAAAAA :D :D :D :D

21. mattardis Monday 11th Apr 2011 at 19:07

i remember a very strange bit in pikmin 2. finding the bulbmin. That was one of the weirdest parts of the game

22. TheImprobableOne Friday 6th May 2011 at 20:55

I always feel so bad when I kill Pikmin, and I can't seem to stop. I threw one red Pikmin at Captain Falcoln in SSBB, missing just in time to land it dead in the mouth of the passing Bulborb.

23. taximadish Saturday 7th May 2011 at 04:07