Professor Layton 6 in development

Level 5 confirm the final game in the prequel trilogy

Level 5 chief Akihiro Hino has confirmed that his team is working on the sixth Professor Layton game.

Hino hasn't confirmed which platform it will be on (you'd assume it's Nintendo 3DS) or the title of the game but fans will be pleased to learn that work is underway on the final game in the Professor Layton prequel trilogy.

Of course it will be a long time before we get to play the game in the UK. While Professor Layton And The Mask Of Miracle was a Nintendo 3DS launch game in Japan, we're still awaiting the release of its predecessor - the DS game Professor Layton And The Spectre's Flute.

This sixth game will be the final game in the Layton prequel trilogy that began with The Spectre's Flute. The last game to be released in the UK was the brilliant Professor Layton And The Lost Future, the final game in the original trilogy.

If the final game happens to be released in Japan next year that will make it six Layton games in five years. The series launched in 2007 and has been a huge success with Curious Village selling one million copies in Japan and it seems people can't get enough of the puzzling professor as it has been confirmed that 250,000 of his latest 3DS game have already been sold since launch in February.

And if fans are worried that it will be all over for Layton after the sixth game, don't forget that Professor Layton Vs Phoenix Wright is also in development. He's a busy man!

No we just need to wait for Layton 6 to get an official title. What do you think it should be called?

[ Source: Andriasang ]

Comments

1. VaatiKaiba Thursday 7th Apr 2011 at 09:17

Professor Layton and the Mystery of the Long Delays - in which Professor Layton travels around the world, finding out what's holding up the release of his games.

OK, no, I understand that there's buckets of localisation to be done, but as there hasn't even been confirmation of Spectre's Flute coming out here, I'm getting concerned - although maybe it will be announced at E3?

2. Ai64 Thursday 7th Apr 2011 at 09:23

Ah Layton 6 in development eh? Hmmm maybe Professor layton & the sword of legacy?

3. ledreppe Thursday 7th Apr 2011 at 09:30

Just finished Lost Future, literally, last night, what an epic game. It's a shame that Spectre's Flute hasn't even been confirmed for a European release yet, and the sixth game has been announced as in development!

4. shy guy 64 Thursday 7th Apr 2011 at 10:02

if they don't hurry up with the specter's flute we're going to be 3 games behind

5. Kooper Thursday 7th Apr 2011 at 10:10

Spectre's Flute will come out in autumn I reckon, to follow the pattern of the previous 3 game. I don't think there's any danger of it not coming to europe judging by its success so far.

Have they announced a further three games after the first 6? I'm sure I remember hearing something about it last year...

6. imbusydoctorwho Thursday 7th Apr 2011 at 12:09

Great to hear they are working on the 6th title but we need specter's flute here first.
    Hopefully it'll be here by September or Christmas.

7. Eragon Firesword Thursday 7th Apr 2011 at 12:58

Professor Layton and The Reminder Of A Puzzle!

8. layton lover Thursday 7th Apr 2011 at 14:53

I knew this was coming, but it's great to see it in black and white. I wouldn't hazard a guess at its title, it really could be anything. This will be incredible. Really can't wait.

9. D Gamer Thursday 7th Apr 2011 at 15:20

How about Professor Layton and the Spenser's Flute? It could about Professor Layton and a flute that summons demons. Although it those sound familiar......

10. BYL Thursday 7th Apr 2011 at 15:42

I just wish Level 5 would hurry up and give us Specter's Flute :3 I'm a mega Layton fanboy and want the new games already!

11. kracian Thursday 7th Apr 2011 at 15:58

Come on Level 5... the wait for the 4th game is killing us Layton fans!!!! >_<

Lucky Japan getting the 6th game in development already =/

12. Kirby8 Thursday 7th Apr 2011 at 19:06

Level 5 is giving so much to Japan...it's completely forgotten about the rest of the world. Maybe focus on localising the first two of the prequels for us first? Maybe you should confirm whether or not Layton Vs Wright is coming to the Western World. Maybe you should give us some dates to look forward too? Come on Level 5!! YOU'RE KILLING US!!! INFO PLEASE!

13. pokemanD Thursday 7th Apr 2011 at 22:29

Professor Layton and The Mystery of The Stolen Waffles

When the notourios Waffle Thief strikes again, Professor Layton and his young apprentice Luke are called in to investigate. What follows is an adventure of epic proportions, with amazing and unexpected twists and a gripping plot. The grand finale of one of the greatest series awaits.........

14. TheWaterBarron Friday 8th Apr 2011 at 13:54

Professor Layton and the Unending Suspense because thats what all his other games are like! when are we getting 4?

15. Stachenscarfen Wednesday 8th Jun 2011 at 15:04

Does Professor Layton 6 come after Layton VS Wright?

And is Layton vs Wright a spin-off or part of the series, I read somewhere it was part of the series, but I'm not sure?

Will London Life be included in Professor Layton and the Last Specter, I don't really mind if it is or not it doesn't look that great, I'm just curious?

Will there be a trilogy set after the Lost Future, because it did say to be continued, and it would be so cool because Layton's car could fly in that trilogy?!

When is the next Layton movie coming out, it would be nice if they made one for the 3DS?!

How come Emmy isn't in Layton VS Wright?

I don't know what the title might be but at the end when Layton goes home he should get a letter from Lady Dahlia about St. Mystere. Oh and maybe something that happens that will affect him 3 years later in the game set after Lost Future.

16. Rae Broom Friday 22nd Jul 2011 at 15:25

Professor Leyton and the mystery of the missing Tea! Great title! I'd hate it if my tea dissapeared!

17. Rae Broom Friday 22nd Jul 2011 at 15:28

I dont want professor Leyton to end....so sad, its the greatest puzzle game of the century! what a shame its goig to end, they could keep something like that going on for years!

18. Stachenscarfen Monday 26th Sep 2011 at 11:25

Is it true that Professor Layton 6 could be on the Wii U?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??????!!!????!????

And am I the only one who doesn't like the way all the people look in Mask of Miracle???

I think they should have left them the way they were and just have
    some 3D puzzles,
    a 3D background,
    3D animations,
    and 3D minigames.

I also don't like the map, I'll get used to it being on the bottom screen but, I don't get why it doesn't fill the screen, did anyone notice that?

And I will miss the art on the top screen when the characters are talking... )=

19. Davesoh Monday 26th Sep 2011 at 15:48

In development for Japan, it'll be a long while until we get it.

20. Stachenscarfen Saturday 5th Nov 2011 at 14:39

A Ghost
    An Opera Theatre
    A Mask
    Another Film (fingers crossed)
    A :?:
    A Tower
    A Box
    A Clock

I hope they localise the books and the phone game but I wouldn't think so... :(