Excitebike will be a free 3DS download

The first in the 3D Classics range...

Nintendo will release Excite Bike as a free download when the handheld gets its eagerly anticipated firmware update in May.

The firmware update will also bring the 3DS Virtual Console which will give gamers the opportunity to download old Game Boy, Game Boy Color and Game Gear games.

<b>Excitebike (NES, 1986)</b>
Excitebike (NES, 1986)
You'll also be able to download 3D Classics and to celebrate Nintendo is releasing a free 3D Classics of Excite Bike, the classic 1986 NES game. The 3D Classics range will feature old Nintendo games that have been remastered for 3DS.

Nintendo has also confirmed at its Nintendo's Tokyo earnings briefing (which is taking place now) that the Virtual Console will kick off with Game Boy and Game Boy Color games but the company is looking into releasing games from other platforms.

What other games would you like to be remastered for the 3D Classics range?

[ Source: Andriasang ]

Comments

1. mafu1989 Tuesday 26th Apr 2011 at 10:57

Retro Golden Goodness!

2. darkandy666 Tuesday 26th Apr 2011 at 11:12

sweet got to love free stuff can't weait for this update

3. SammyDodger Tuesday 26th Apr 2011 at 11:13

Awesome :D does anyone know the exact date for this update? Also when is the 3DS store coming?? Classics are good and all but I want some fresh games too.

4. Lambos_nicko Tuesday 26th Apr 2011 at 11:20

final fantasy adventure on the original gameboy? i still have it, just no gameboy to play it on haha :)

5. olrodlegacy Tuesday 26th Apr 2011 at 11:22

A free classic? Count me in! I'm looking forward to the 3DS shop, and I hope there'll be more freebies than there are on DSiShop...

6. shadow663 Tuesday 26th Apr 2011 at 11:31

Awesome! More of this please Nintendo

7. tomutwit Tuesday 26th Apr 2011 at 11:40

cant wait for me updates

8. pokemonster Tuesday 26th Apr 2011 at 11:59

Does anybody the exact date I'm waking up in the middle of the night to update :!: :!: :!: this is gonna be cool :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D 8) :) :wink: :mrgreen: :!:

9. Toad Rules Tuesday 26th Apr 2011 at 12:03

love to see Pokémon red and blue remastered in 3d, that be nice

10. Ai64 Tuesday 26th Apr 2011 at 12:10

Yay! Good to see excitebike free. :)

11. FiveThirteen Tuesday 26th Apr 2011 at 12:42

For free? :shock: by the power of grayskull!

Please please please let GBA games be on the estore too...

12. emperor ing Tuesday 26th Apr 2011 at 12:50

Just woah, best thing I've heard all day! Excitebike is a great game, and well worth being a freebie. I used to play this on Animal Crossing quite a lot :)

13. imbusydoctorwho Tuesday 26th Apr 2011 at 13:10

Hopefully more free content than dsi ware.

I want free points at launch please Nintendo,we paid a lot of money for your new handheld so please give us somthing extra.

14. trumper40 Tuesday 26th Apr 2011 at 14:09

Is this Japan only or will there be a EU free release as well?

15. kracian Tuesday 26th Apr 2011 at 14:14

this is strangely generous Nintendo :D

EPIC WIN!!! XD

16. golden toad Tuesday 26th Apr 2011 at 14:18

love to see Pokémon red and blue remastered in 3d, that be nice

I agree with this guy, I've never played the old games (just being a kid) and would love to play them in 3D!
    Perhaps there could be a feature that allows us to send pokemon from that game to the new Pokemon 3DS game (when it comes out) :mrgreen:

17. allanironmaiden Tuesday 26th Apr 2011 at 14:51

the free download is appreciated, i guess it can be seen as a kind of thank you for putting up woith not having the full console abilities available for a few months until the update

btw when IS the update in may??

18. Hylian_Grouch Tuesday 26th Apr 2011 at 15:21

this is excellent news. a few quality free titles to download will be awesome and encourage people to download paid for games too. i cant wait

19. JGreen7 Tuesday 26th Apr 2011 at 15:46

A free version of Excitebike?! As if the May update to get the eShop and web browser wasn't already vital enough.

20. Videogame_Nut Tuesday 26th Apr 2011 at 15:51

I would like to see:

Wind Waker

Pokémon Red/Blue/Green (Green's my favourite).

A Metroid game would be cool too! :D

21. CDS Tuesday 26th Apr 2011 at 16:48

Excitebike. In 3D.
    WHOO YEAH!

Let's just hope that the gamecube gets a look in eventually. I mean, Animaal Crossing 3D is all well and good, but unless this is better than the original

WE WANT TO PLAY THE ORIGINAL ON A HANDHELD - so we can be free in when we play it.

22. ZeldaKing Tuesday 26th Apr 2011 at 16:52

TLOZ Oracle of Ages
    TLOZ Oracle of Seasons
    Super Mario Bros 3
    Star Fox: Lylat Wars
    &
    Kingdom Hearst Chain of Memories
    To name but a few...

23. ONM_Mega_Girlie Tuesday 26th Apr 2011 at 20:01

Whoop! I'm so excited about the 3DS. I mean apart from having some preetty freakin' awesome games *Nudge nudge* *See topic* and the obviously EPIC 3D feature the whole sleek design of the actual console makes it pretty supreme. And I'm pretty excited about AR too, I was looking through ONM earlier this month and loved the 'It's All About Me' feature. It got me pretty excited about the whole concept of AR.

24. Missile the dog Tuesday 26th Apr 2011 at 20:08

I hope this'll be in a serise of free "nintendo classics" as free nintendo games rock my socks right of and into the stratosphere 8) I'm looking forward to sitting down and playing this as the excite "inset vehicle name here from robots to trucks to bikes" has so far passed me over

25. Mmmyeah Tuesday 26th Apr 2011 at 20:14

i can't think of a better game for it from the NES era.

26. Rnald Tuesday 26th Apr 2011 at 21:02

Red and Blue, enough said.

I hope the internet browser is on this update.

27. 1singie Wednesday 27th Apr 2011 at 07:22

Excitebike = awesome. when exactly will the update happen though????

28. CDS Wednesday 27th Apr 2011 at 18:55

Rnald, the internet browser will be on this update.

1singie, no date has been confirmed yet except to expect in May.

Most likely the end of May, though.

29. Cyberguy Wednesday 27th Apr 2011 at 19:04

3D Classics? Now this will give me a chance to play the oldies. Yeah, I know there's the Wii, but I just couldn't be bothered to get any pre-N64 games.

30. CDS Wednesday 27th Apr 2011 at 19:56

Plus, its better when you can take them with you.

31. NeisenShiratori Thursday 28th Apr 2011 at 10:52

A Free Great Game, Yayz! Guess there is such thing as a free lunch....Heh,heh... :wink:

32. CDS Thursday 28th Apr 2011 at 15:44

The only games that wil be free are demos of games.

At least, that's what happens with Playstation Network.

33. NeisenShiratori Thursday 28th Apr 2011 at 20:49

The only games that wil be free are demos of games.

At least, that's what happens with Playstation Network.

Yeah they're giving demo's and the VC game!
    Hey... does this mean there will be NES Games too? :wink:

34. CDS Thursday 28th Apr 2011 at 20:59

Hoping so.

I've got the original Super Mario Bros. and Pac-Man on the Wii. But now I've got no internet hookup except of occasional Saturday nights,and it's nott as though I'm going to carry the whole Wii and hookups just to get more games.

Easier to do so with a 3DS. So yes, I'm hoping so.

35. Rnald Friday 29th Apr 2011 at 22:15

Good to know about the browser, CDS.

36. ARWING64 Monday 2nd May 2011 at 10:37

Super Mario World 3D please or the original super mario bros. I`m really looking forward to a free game but why are Nintendo being annoyingly vague about release dates on stuff! When is the internet/ e-shop update gonna happen?! and if Starfox 3D is finished; why is`nt it being released in June or something? It would certainly increase 3ds sales along with Ocarina! I would like to know when this update happens in May because the wait is killing me!