How to catch Victini

You'll need a Liberty Ticket and a load of balls

So today is your last chance to catch Victini in Pokémon Black and White. You see, this Legendary Pokémon is hiding in Liberty Garden and the only way to reach this island is to grab the Liberty Ticket which is only available via Mystery Gift until 27 April. That's today!

But don't think that it's job done once you've got the Liberty Ticket. Catching this Pokémon is tough and I should know because it took me more than an hour to get it this morning.

So I received my Liberty Ticket yesterday evening. For those who don't know how to get the Liberty Ticket, here are some instructions on how to receive it.

Getting the Liberty Ticket

Start up your game and select the Mystery Gift option. Then select Receive Gift. Next select Get Via Nintendo WFC (you will need to have your DS, DSi or 3DS connected to the internet to do this) and you will receive the Liberty Ticket.

To get it in the game you'll need to visit the Deliveryman who will be near the door inside your local Pokémon Center. He will give it to you.

Now you've got the Liberty Ticket, you'll need to go to the far dock in Castelia City to board the boat the Liberty Garden with your Liberty Ticket.

So I arrived at Liberty Garden, excited at the prospect of catching my first Legendary Pokémon in Black and White. Victini isn't any old Legendary either - it's number 000 in the Pokédex and it's the first Fire and Psychic Type Pokémon. If you didn't already know this, you will soon as it smashes you with Incinerate and Confusion.

I'll let you know exactly how I caught Victini in a bit but first let me tell you about my failures! Before facing Victini I defeated a few Team Plasma Grunts before entering the Central Tower in Liberty Garden.

At the top of the steps down to the basement is a guy who offered to heal your Pokemon. Remember him and take him up on his offer. Then I defeated another Team Plasma Grunt before challenging Victini.

My first battle was a disaster. A level 15 Pokémon, Victini wasn't a match for my level 22 Dewott and my attacks caused Victini to faint before I could even lob a ball at it.

Try again. I left the tower and walked back in to find Victini waiting for me again.

This time I put my level 19 Pansear and Level 18 Herdier up against Victini and managed to whittle down its power until its HP was in the orange before chucking a Pokéball at it. It didn't even wiggle before Victini escaped. So I tried another one. Same thing happened again so I went in with the Great Ball. Again, I failed. Frustrated I ended up making Victini faint again.

So I headed outside to chat to everyone in the hope that they may give me some advice, tips or even a better ball. There is a row of trash cans next to the vending machine in the bottom left of Liberty Garden. I searched each bin and found an Ultra Ball in one of them. That's the ticket, I thought. Wrong!

I went back in and knocked Victini's HP down to the red before using Yawn to make it fall asleep. Then I got out my Ultra Ball and despite being asleep the Victini still escaped. Believing I hadn't whittled down Victini's health enough I set out on a path which saw me quitting out without saving, getting the Ultra Ball again and knocking Victini's HP down as far as it could go. I tried this three times and still it escaped.

Previous 1 2 Next page

Comments

1. K-tet Wednesday 27th Apr 2011 at 12:26

How to catch any Legendary.

Pokémon required:
    1. Thunder Wave or Spore user. (Magnezone and Breloom are perfect for this role)
    2. Dragon Dancer with False Swipe. (DD not required for Victini as it's Level 15, but Haxorus is a great choice from Base 147 Attack)
    3. Ultra Balls (Lots of them, better catch rate for those that are difficult to catch).

How I caught Victini:
    1. Victini used Endure.
    2. Dewott used Water Gun. Critical Hit and brought Victini down to 1HP.
    3. Threw a PokéBall (yes, a PokéBall) and caught it first time without the instant catch.

Battle was over in two full turns, and I caught Victini on March 4th (after starting the game on March 3rd, GAME win for pre-orders). Call it Super Luck though, I did.

2. jennytablina Wednesday 27th Apr 2011 at 12:48

An alternative version to catch Victini (if you're in the midst of the story mode at this point)

Go to Battle Connection building in Castelia City (if you haven't yet) - Battle ALL trainers on each level. This Building is great for levelling up your team a little if you've yet to get your 3rd badge, plus all the trainers give you goodies for beating them - at the top of the building, the head of Battle Connection will battle you too, and when you win he will provide you with Quick Balls and Timer Balls

The Timer Ball is the one you want, the odds of completing a capture improve with this ball the longer the battle goes on. Go and take on Victini, and whittle his health down with lower power attacks or use a turn on a defensive move or two. Once you feel you've taken enough time, try a timer ball and you should find that's an instant catch.

If you already have finished Pokemon Black & White, you should be able to buy Timer Balls in certain Pokemon Centers and you may find a quick ball thrown in the first turn will work too.

Protip: Be sure to Paralyse or put Victini to sleep, Pokemon with a status effect are easier to catch. Try to avoid burning, poisoning or confusing it

3. Lugia Wednesday 27th Apr 2011 at 13:27

I've found that the sleep status works best of all - it tends to have the best catch rate in my experience. Not sure if this is just my luck, or an actual game stat though.

4. Geowesome Wednesday 27th Apr 2011 at 13:38

The Button pressing to catch pokemon is false. It was just a rumour.
    I caught Vicitini With i think my 2nd ultra ball but only after i tried 2 Quick balls before i had 2 use false swipe but i only got the liberty ticket after i finished the whole game so my pokemon were high levelled

5. Red-Wolf Wednesday 27th Apr 2011 at 14:03

I've missed out on Victini, coz I could never get my DSi on the bleeding internet. Damn it... =_=

6. dudettecolette Wednesday 27th Apr 2011 at 14:20

I love Victini! After throwing tons of pokeballs I finally gave in to a great ball with success :D I always use Victini, such a cute Pokemon! ^_^

7. Bleachyleachy Wednesday 27th Apr 2011 at 14:28

Is it bad that I found the caption to this feature amusing in an immature way? :lol:

8. Darkxaur Wednesday 27th Apr 2011 at 14:32

An hour? Victini took me five minutes to catch. Hypnosis for the win.

9. Magmortar963 Wednesday 27th Apr 2011 at 14:37

Caught Victini on black & white!!!!

As for my faviroute Legendary Pokemon:

5. Genesect
    4. Victini
    3. Zekrom
    2. Kyurem
    1. Reshiram

10. FrostyLemon Wednesday 27th Apr 2011 at 14:38

Giving an EXACT strategy with moves isn't going to work because every Victini will be different and may have higher stats/IVs in areas such as defence or attack.

Personally I would keep using an attack that will knock it out in one hit, if victini uses endure it will leave him with 1hp and make it easier to catch. If he doesn't use endure then walk out and go back in again until he does. Paralysing him is better than making him fall asleep, my blitzle used it on him. Then just keep throwing balls and hope for the best. If you run out of balls then turn your DS off and start again, that way you don't lose money.

11. OracleOfPokemon Wednesday 27th Apr 2011 at 14:58

An hour? Victini took me five minutes to catch. Hypnosis for the win.

You're right, Victini is super easy to catch, i did it as soon as i got to castelia city. how can you take an hour? it took me 2 great balls on full hp to catch it! this wasnt a fluke, as victini has a really high capture rate, and i did it on both black and white just as easily.
    By the way, i got loads of exp from it by killing it, leaving the room, and coming back in. (it does say in the leaflet that came in the games case!)

12. OracleOfPokemon Wednesday 27th Apr 2011 at 15:01

Also, according to bulbapedia, Sleep and Frozen raise the catch rate more than the other statuses.

13. jimbob555 Wednesday 27th Apr 2011 at 15:05

Just hit Victini with your most powerful attack and hope it uses endure. Then use yawn or Paralyze for the kill.

14. Lock-On Wednesday 27th Apr 2011 at 15:22

One pokeball and it was caught, I guess luck was one my side :D

15. Lozridge Wednesday 27th Apr 2011 at 15:43

Do you have to catch it before tomorrow? Or just get the Liberty Pass before tomorrow and catch it at any time?

Because I got the pass a while ago but for some insane reason I got really into SoulSilver again and I'm only about 2 hours in Pokémon Black. :P Wanna make 'em last! :D

16. tomutwit Wednesday 27th Apr 2011 at 15:55

See thats why i hate pokemon, it doesn't make sense. IT IS SLEEPING BUT IT STILL ESCAPED!!!!!!!

17. Darren199314 Wednesday 27th Apr 2011 at 16:24

I feel quite lucky. When I caught Victini, I accidentally killed it while trying to weaken it. I tried again next time I went on Pokemon It took me just 3 Pokeballs to catch it after I'd paralyzed it. Everyone with the game should catch it while you can because it's extremely powerful. Mine is level 70 and is immense.

18. The_Legend_not Wednesday 27th Apr 2011 at 16:40

2) Go to Liberty Gareden

Gareden?

19. j.campbell3 Wednesday 27th Apr 2011 at 17:09

I caught victini with my 3rd ball (dusk ball) with its health on yellow.

20. SlainHeart Wednesday 27th Apr 2011 at 17:33

So, Blog Quality Control might need supervising, huh.

21. Loopy Lobster Wednesday 27th Apr 2011 at 17:37

Heres my guide for catching Victini:

1. Throw an Ultra Ball at it.
    2. Congratulations, you're 99.99999% of the population that caught Victini really easily.

22. Mahzes Wednesday 27th Apr 2011 at 18:07

Dusk Ball made it ridiculously easy for me. If I remember correctly, Dusk Balls have a higher success rate than Ultra balls if used indoors, in caves or at night.

23. Eragon Firesword Wednesday 27th Apr 2011 at 18:40

Nurhurhur (childish laugh) you said balls XDXDXD

sorry

24. KoreeluStromboli Wednesday 27th Apr 2011 at 18:44

You'll need a Liberty Ticket and a load of balls

Hahaha! That sounds quite wrong! :lol:

On subject, I did download the Liberty Pass and caught Victini via Thunder Wave and its HP being in the red zone back in March. I nicknamed my Victini "Zero", in a nod to its Pokedex number on the Unova Pokedex.

25. slowpokeFTW Wednesday 27th Apr 2011 at 19:11

i forgot about him so by the time i got around to liberty island my pokemon were lvl40.but i caught him using false swipe and a .

.POKE BALL

26. MrChewtoy Wednesday 27th Apr 2011 at 20:06

Wait, I thought today was just that last day to get the liberty pass, not to catch Victini?

27. rag33 Wednesday 27th Apr 2011 at 20:20

Catch a Muna in the Dreamforest then use Yawn and the ultra ball you fine in the bin.Easy!

28. ginjaninja Wednesday 27th Apr 2011 at 20:38

Victini is sooo usefull if u catch him early in the game becouse he's really strong

29. Joe_Crow Wednesday 27th Apr 2011 at 21:18

@Lugia

Sleep and Freeze give a catch rate multiplier of 2, the other status ailments give 1.5.
    Sleep and Freeze are the best.

There's no different way to catch different Pokemon. It's just maths. 1 HP left, asleep, and the best Pokeball for the job (dusk for at night or in caves, net for bug and water Pokemon) - it's as simple as that.

30. hotcha Wednesday 27th Apr 2011 at 22:42

People this is not a lie. Me and my two friends did the same thing and it worked. Just follow these steps.

1. Get it down to 1hp and use yawn to put it asleep.
    2.Throw a great/ultra ball at it while holding y and shout gottcha into the mike when the great/ultra ball opens up.
    3. If does not work throw more pokeballs.

31. Lugia Thursday 28th Apr 2011 at 09:31

@Lugia

Sleep and Freeze are the best.

I knew it! Thanks for confirming, sleep moves ftw!

32. popcorn man Thursday 28th Apr 2011 at 11:38

Myself and my friend William both lent our games to this cool guy in the year bellow us so he could get the Victini event for us both.

My mate caught Victini without getting it's health down at all. Can't remember but I think he threw a great ball or a quick ball. He had it straight away... he also had Zoaroark straight away by just throwing a great ball. I gave him cloned Shiny Dogs for him to get it.

I spent ages catching both Victini and Zoaroark. My mate just got lucky.

33. Joe_Crow Thursday 28th Apr 2011 at 15:07

@Lugia

Sleep and Freeze are the best.

I knew it! Thanks for confirming, sleep moves ftw!

No probs :)

34. CDS Thursday 28th Apr 2011 at 17:14

On orange health and wasted most of my pokeballs I had. Eventually got it using a normal pokeball using an old trick from Colosseum.

Hold 'B' as soon as the ball opens to increase catch rate.

35. TaleOfTheToaster Thursday 28th Apr 2011 at 17:59

Everybody always says Ultra Balls. If you are in a cave, or the time is past 8:00pm, Dusk Balls have a considerably better catch rate than Ultra Balls, and they're a little cheaper. I got lucky with a Great Ball on Victini.

36. jammy3000100 Saturday 30th Apr 2011 at 13:03

Because I hadn't bought anything different at that stage I had to use the good ol pokeball which i did even though it took ages to catch it. When I looked at the this I was half expecting the article to say you need balls of steel not pokeballs :P.

37. jpeng Monday 2nd May 2011 at 06:31

Is it bad that I found the caption to this feature amusing in an immature way?

I thought that was some classic ONM punnage and completely intentional.