We still have plenty of ideas for new Pokémon - Sugimori

Are you looking forward to the next generation?

There may be 650 Pokémon in existence but Pokémon Black and White art director Ken Sugimori has told Official Nintendo Magazine that it is unlikely that Game Freak will run out of ideas for new Pokémon.

Asked if Game Freak still had ideas for new Pokémon, Sugimori said: "It's not only myself designing new Pokémon - we have about 20 people in our team at Game Freak who design Pokémon, so if every one of them came up with 10 Pokémon ideas, it's going to be 200. And that will make a lot of Pokémon designs."

He added: "Also, there are people still coming in new to Game Freak and that's where we get fresh ideas from."

Did you like the new batch of Generation V Pokémon ushered in by Pokémon Black & White? Are you looking forward to seeing what the next generation brings?

You can read an interview with Pokémon Black and White directors Ken Sugimori and Junichi Masuda in the May issue of Official Nintendo Magazine which is on sale now. Buy it here.

Here are your

Comments

1. concernedcamel Monday 9th May 2011 at 10:00

Yeh pokemon still sells really well so there isn't a reason for them not too and obviously people will complain about the character designs because that's what people do. but I do think they need to extend the replay value of pokemon though I was playing heart gold for months and months after completion but black and White i stopped playing once I beat the elite four.

2. concernedcamel Monday 9th May 2011 at 10:01

3. shy guy 64 Monday 9th May 2011 at 10:02

it's going to be a while, but yes i can't wait to see what they come up with next

who knows i might get a job a game freak one day and we'll be catching pokemon i desgined :wink:

4. mario_boi Monday 9th May 2011 at 10:06

Wasn't this my question that was answered in the interview? Go me!

5. tomonm Monday 9th May 2011 at 10:06

Wasn't this my question that was answered in the interview? Go me!

Yes! Go you!

6. Rej Monday 9th May 2011 at 10:37

They should also go with Capcom's strategy, they could ask their fans to create something and it will be in the game if those people will make something great. If you're going to ask me, I also want to create one!!

7. metalgario Monday 9th May 2011 at 12:07

Yes keep making em, Pokemon is a franchise that keeps on...evolving! lol!
    (Unless you press B anyway!)

Keep the main characters older and don't bog us down with too many different abilities and formes and I'll keep playing em. The only game you can come back to with more to do each time, terriffic replay value for Ł25.

8. layton lover Monday 9th May 2011 at 14:55

I saw this in the magazine. :)

I always find it quite exciting when a new generation comes in. It's exciting to see if any new really cool ones come in! :D

9. Toastie Monday 9th May 2011 at 14:59

Kingfisher Pokemon please :D

10. TechnoWolf Monday 9th May 2011 at 15:14

Dunsparce evo would be nice :(

11. Missile the dog Monday 9th May 2011 at 15:27

Wasn't this my question that was answered in the interview? Go me!

Yes! Go you!

Yes! Hurray for you

I still think there are plenty of designs they haven't made for example a dolphin pokemon, or maybe even a Manity pokemon ( what? I like manitys) or maybe even a tiger pokemon

12. gregan25 Monday 9th May 2011 at 15:38

pokemon arent meant to be real animals, some of them may have very similar features, but the more original designs are the ones that arent accepted aswell so they tend to base them on real animals. an example of an original idea that is similar to old ones is glavantula, its an ariados with a new colour scheme, some tweeked body parts and a new type making it feel completely original.

13. Kirby8 Monday 9th May 2011 at 16:01

Really looking forward to the next gen, but can they please distribute the event pokemon way before the give us more. Because when they finally decided to do Celebi event, it was a week or so before the launch of pokemon black and white...so you basically had the full pokedex for 1 week. Which was a bit sad.

I don't think they will ever run out of ideas. There's loads of pokemon that could be given evolutions or pre-evolutions (problem is some of the B&W pokemon looked perfect evolutions for some pokemon...but it wasn't). And there's still loads of items in the world that haven't had the magic touch and turned into a pokemon. Also, like others said, some pokemon are taken...tweaked...type changed and they are transformed into an entirely different pokemon. Look a bit rip-off-ish...but yah! XD

14. Waldy565 Monday 9th May 2011 at 16:09

well, he did say he gets ideas from new people getting in game freak

15. Argenthor Monday 9th May 2011 at 16:58

I think that's enough pokemon for a while...
    For now why not visit multiple lands? I am still hoping that the next game improves the voices of pokemon. *shudders*

16. Chocolate king Monday 9th May 2011 at 19:44

The only pokemon I disliked in Black/White was Garbodor. What the hell, it's just a pile of junk and slime with weird arm things!

17. Captain Kuchiki Monday 9th May 2011 at 23:37

There's 649, not 650...they should have added an extra one though, to make the number nice and round.

Personally, I'd love more and more Pokémon - as long as they gave us enough storage space for them all! BW needs more than 720 spaces.