Mario & Sonic At The London 2012 Olympics: Will you live the Dream?

Tom thinks the Dream Events could make the Wii version worth picking up...

There are a few strange things about Mario & Sonic At The London 2012 Olympic Games. Some are small but some are big. The sight of a Toad manning a TV camera on the badminton court will surely wind up every Mushroom Kingdom aficionado. Don't they know that Lakitu should be the cameraman?!

Then there's Yoshi riding a horse in the showjumping event which just looks wrong. Seeing as Yoshi is usually being ridden by Mario or a Toad, it's odd to see that him on top of a steed.

Personally, I would have liked to see Link being drafted in as a guest character for this event so that he could ride upon Epona while Ganondorf could also show up on his armoured steed. But then Mario and Sonic and Link At The London 2012 Olympic Games might just be too long a title.

Okay, perhaps I'm just being a Mario nerd. This is pretty minor stuff and when I took my Mushroom Kingdom anorak off, I found myself enjoying a few of the events in the Wii and 3DS versions of Mario & Sonic At The London 2012 Olympic Games.

Yet even with my anorak off, it is odd that the Wii version doesn't make use of the MotonPlus accessory, nor will it be online.

No Motion

Sega's excuse it that it wants everyone to play the Wii version and not many people own four MotionPlus accessories. I can see their point on that one but sadly that does mean that Mario & Sonic At the London 2012 Olympics probably won't be as good as Wii Sports Resort which offered players a greater level of accuracy when they played archery or table tennis.

As for online, there can be no excuse for that one. Sure Mario and Sonic games, like Wii Sports, are probably best enjoyed with four players crowding around the one television but players should be given the opportunity to compete online.

Something like a quick game of canoeing or a co-op game of badminton would work nicely online too. These were just two of three events that were playable online at Sega's recent event in London, the other being the showjumping.

Once you've got over the sight of Yoshi riding a horse, the equestrian event is possibly the best of the three events, simply because it's the one that's most challenging.

Jumping isn't the hard part as you can pretty much see when to jump by keeping an eye on the churned up line of mud (you just need to press the jump button when it ends).

However, you can't keep moving that Wii Remote up and down to gallop as you'll probably fall off when you have to steer your steed around a corner. So you need to slow down before turning and then sprint when on a straight before leaping over that jump.

With penalty points for each missed jump plus the time you lose when you fall, this is quite challenging and you could have fun trying to get the perfect run and win gold on this one.

Less challenging is canoeing as you just need to watch the circles which appear on screen to time your strokes. When the circle gets smaller and is on the point of disappearing, you need to move your Remote as if it were an oar. This can be quite enjoyable in two player co-op as both players will have to time their strokes at the same time but it is very simple.

Then there's badminton which just feels a little dated. Waving your Wii Remote to hit a tennis ball (or, in this case, shuttlecock) was fun in Wii Sports in 2006 but we're past that now.

Previous 1 2 3 Next page

Comments

1. Link1983 Monday 16th May 2011 at 14:38

Why isn't the 3DS version just the same? The 3DS is more than capable surely? Saying Nintendo decided to use the same capacity cartridges as on the DS didn't they? Meaning any game that has extra graphics and cut scenes will have less gameplay. *SIGH* Nintendo please increase your cartridge capacity so my £40 isn't spent on half a game.

2. Link16 Monday 16th May 2011 at 14:44

I probs wont get either cuz they just sound similar to the 2008 version :/

3. Missile the dog Monday 16th May 2011 at 14:53

Looks like it's shaping up pretty nicely. I'm exspecialy excited about the dream events. I'd like to have a hurdles race in mario bros 1-1, where the hurdles are pipes and goombas :D Anyway, Tom seemed quite positive so this could turn out pretty well. I may buy it, depending what comes out around that time :)

4. tomonm Monday 16th May 2011 at 14:53

I think it's good that they're different. Plus the Wii version is all about motion control - therefore the 3DS version has to be different.

5. tomutwit Monday 16th May 2011 at 14:54

It doesn't deserve to sell! YOSHI ON A HORSE!!!!!!!!

6. Missile the dog Monday 16th May 2011 at 14:55

I thought they did increase the cartridge size to 2gb ( round about same as the gamecube) :| or did I misunderstand you and you where talking about the actual size of it

7. TheWarioMan Monday 16th May 2011 at 15:21

Does anyone know if there have been any new characters added?

8. Eragon Firesword Monday 16th May 2011 at 16:13

The 2012 Olympics? It's gonna be a bit sh*t...

But I'm all for Mario & Sonic!

9. Darkblizz Monday 16th May 2011 at 16:18

How is Metal Sonic in the water and completely unaffected?

10. Harryh11 Monday 16th May 2011 at 16:26

How does a dinosaur ride a horse?

11. tomonm Monday 16th May 2011 at 16:38

How is Metal Sonic in the water and completely unaffected?

There are many questions like that. How does Wario keep his hat on underwater. How come Wario's moustache doesn't get wet in the water?

I don't think it's meant to be realistic though!

12. nintendorulz Monday 16th May 2011 at 17:05

Looks really interesting but im sure I will never buy this.

13. LBDNytetrayn Monday 16th May 2011 at 17:30

But what about Adventure Mode? That's what attracted me to the DS version of the Winter Olympics over the Wii version. Sure, it's a pretty shallow story, but it was still fun for me.

Will either version have that? SEGA needs to tell us already!

As an aside, I hope they see fit to add Rosalina to the roster.

14. CDS Monday 16th May 2011 at 20:10

Hoefully more will be revealed at E3.

I'm all up for your arguement, Link1983, as I bought Lego Star Wars 3 on 3DS then a month later on PS3 and was sourly disappointed as the 3DS version didn't even turn out to be half the game of the console versions. Once I can I'll post a direct comparrison of the two versions so you can see yourself

Hopefully the character roster will be good and so will the features of the games.

For me, the character roster had better include Espio. Come on. Who doesn't like the chameleon?

15. Missile the dog Monday 16th May 2011 at 21:14

How is Metal Sonic in the water and completely unaffected?

I don't think it's meant to be realistic though!

well I shan't be buying it because of how wario's moustache reacts in water is completely wrong :evil: :wink:

16. Quantum Raven Wednesday 18th May 2011 at 11:18

Probably won't be as good as Wii Sports Resort? You're having a laugh Tom, Mario and Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games will DESTROY Wii Sports Resort and I promise I'm not saying that just because it has Mario characters in it, I found both previous Mario and Sonic games on Wii and DS 1,000,000 times more enjoyable than Wii Sports Resort, I mean does Wii Sports Resort have Dream Events? No it doesn't so just like the other two Mario and Sonic games Mario and Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games will have a MASSIVE 1-up over Wii sports resort! As for no MotionPlus support I reackon that if it was included it would mean that cocky gamers would be able to cheat and beat their opponents by a ridiculously big margin and as for no online well you've got to remember that not everyone has an online connection and some people (me included) don't want to take their consoles and games online! And like the other Mario and Sonic games Mario and Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games will be the more enjoyable experience just because of the Dream Events alone! I'm gonna get both the Wii and 3DS versions so bring on the release day!

17. CDS Wednesday 18th May 2011 at 14:57

I'm gonna get both the Wii and 3DS versions so bring on the release day!

Both?

Blow a budgie, eh?

18. stealth1497 Wednesday 18th May 2011 at 16:58

the wii versions of the games are great, but if the 3ds game's story mode (if it has one, which it probably will) is as short as the winter olympics game, i will be sorrowly dissapointed

19. barrybarryk Wednesday 18th May 2011 at 17:13

lol it's a collection of minigames about the olympics, I doubt it's going to have an epic story mode

20. Quantum Raven Friday 20th May 2011 at 09:00

I'm gonna get both the Wii and 3DS versions so bring on the release day!

Both?

Blow a budgie, eh?

I have a Wii and a 3DS so that's why I'm getting both when it comes out.

21. CDS Friday 20th May 2011 at 13:26

So do I. So do I.

But that's no reason to buy BOTH versions on launch day.
    I wasn't doubting you had both. But I'm just wondering why you would buy both if there is no connectivity between the two.

22. Yoshiller Friday 20th May 2011 at 15:52

Might consider the Wii version. :D

23. squatch Friday 20th May 2011 at 17:18

Looks good. I read 3DS version will have 50 sports. Could be a lot of gameplay there :D :D

24. Quantum Raven Friday 20th May 2011 at 19:37

So do I. So do I.

But that's no reason to buy BOTH versions on launch day.

Well I heard that both versions are going to be slighty different to each other so that's why, after all I have the Wii and DS versions of the other two Mario and Sonic games!

25. CDS Friday 20th May 2011 at 19:49

Fair enough.
    After all, now I consider it, I bought Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars for 3DS on launch, then a month later bought it for the PS3 as well, so who am I stop others doing near enough the same thing.

I'll consider one version. Then maybe buy the other when the price has dropped. Considerably.

26. cheatmaster30 Saturday 21st May 2011 at 12:23

Here you just had to move your thumb around in a clockwise direction on the Circle Pad as quickly as possible.

Reminds me of Mario Party 1. Hopefully, these games won't require so much effort to make your thumb hurt this time around.

Dream Discus is even more bizarre. You don't actually fling a discus. Instead you leap on a giant disc and fly around a stage from Sonic Adventure, bouncing into other characters and trying to collect rings.

Thanks for explaining this. I had no idea why Mario and Sonic characters were moving around some obstacle course on discs until you mentioned it was Dream Discus. I guess it's safe to say the dream events could actually be interesting this time around.

The bit about difficulty levels seems nice, the last games always had too much in the way of tutorials/easyness with a few difficult sections thrown in, so maybe we'll actually get to choose how much the game tries to 'help' this time around.

Probably not a game I'll be buying though.