Street Fighter 3D's touchscreen controls slammed by beat 'em up dev

"It's not right for hardcore gamers," says BlazBlue creator

Super Street Fighter IV 3D's touchscreen controls have been criticised by the developer of a forthcoming 3DS fighting game called BlazBlue.

Super Street Fighter IV 3D enables players to pull off special moves by tapping the touchscreen but according to Yoshimichi Mori, hardcore fighting fans such as himself aren't impressed.

"Super Street Fighter IV 3D has easy special move buttons," Mori told Official Nintendo Magazine. "As hardcore fighting fans we don't think that's right, so we chose to display a list of combos [for BlazBlue 3DS] instead of easy attack buttons."

Of course Super Street Fighter IV 3D isn't the only game guilty of making its game easier to play for newcomers. Dead Or Alive Dimensions - out this Friday - also makes use of touchscreen controls.

So do you agree with Mori? Are touchscreen combos wrong? Or do you use them?

You can read the full interview with Yoshimichi Mori in the June issue of Official Nintendo Magazine which is out now.

Comments

1. lminett Tuesday 17th May 2011 at 10:56

Thats why on street fighter you can fight against people that only use normal controls. It dont get what his problem is, most people seem to play with the normal controls anyway.

2. dm_1782 Tuesday 17th May 2011 at 11:18

Lol theres always someone trying to get more attention. Even the DOA developer said this before then using the same system in their own game. Im sure Blaz Blue is a good game, reminds me of Guilty Gear, a game that I never quite got into because I don't want to end up with cramped hands at the end of a gaming session, but I won't be buying it. I for one am glad that Capcom and Team Ninja/Tecmo both use systems where they simplify the controls even though I use the normal mode, it allows players who aren't experienced to actually have fun with the game.

3. NOM is NOM Tuesday 17th May 2011 at 11:20

This is pathetic, you can choose whether you play against Touch-Controllers or Normal-Controllers when in matches. His complaint would only be valid if it wasn't optional - but it is. In my opinion he's just bad-mouthing the competition and highlighting the 'negatives' in their games rather than talking about the 'positive' elements of his own game. Do you know what that says to me? There is no 'positive' elements worth talking about, otherwise thats what he'd be focusing on.

4. SuperAndy91 Tuesday 17th May 2011 at 11:22

This guy has his own opinion because he is a veteran of the genre. SSF4 is the first Street Fighter I have owned, the fact that it has these touch screen controls greatly influenced my decision to get the game since I am a novice (even with the touch screen I'm pretty bad!). If the game didn't have these it would be quite hard for my liking and I'd just not enjoy it as much as I do. And I'm sure there are many other gamers who would (probably) agree especially if they are new to SSF.

5. Riverlution Tuesday 17th May 2011 at 11:30

I don't like touch screen controls either, it feels like cheating to me. But I don't see why everyone keeps going on about it since the feature is only optional.

6. ZeldaKing Tuesday 17th May 2011 at 12:12

why is everyone moaning about it you can turn them off... and you can even choose to fight people who don't use them aswell. Not much of a problem with th game if you ask me

7. Argenthor Tuesday 17th May 2011 at 12:46

To be honest if you are a pro at Street Fighter you can usually beat people using them anyway. They dont let you do combos and individual moves are easy to block.
    Could we not say that hardcore fans will dislike having the combos listed as it takes away learning moves? Always something to complain about...

8. ProtoKun Tuesday 17th May 2011 at 12:53

These fighting hardcore gamers don't need movement lists as well, since they do learn how to perform the moves in a few hours for their favourites, and within days for a bigger amount of characters.

It's an option. I don't use it and I only play online against people who doesn't use it as well.

9. imbusydoctorwho Tuesday 17th May 2011 at 13:09

I think the Touch Screen Combos are great for people who are new to the fighting genre(like myself) and it does provide satisfaction by touching the screen and pulling of a powerful attack.
    What makes Street Fighter 3D great is that you don't have to be a hardcore fan of fighting games to buy it.
    I mean you can still use combos with out using the touch screen so what is the problem.
    So tbh Capcom should be praised for getting people who haven't played much of the genre into it.

10. LewiiG Tuesday 17th May 2011 at 13:42

Totally agree. The amount of people that just use this mode and dont even bother to play the game the pro way annoys me. Darn noobs just spam fireballs or sonic booms and think they can win. Its funny. Yes i am in total agreement with this guy. I love BlazBlue and am happy to hear this from the creator. Just putting a noob mode in the game stops people from learning to fight like a pro.

11. pokemaster Tuesday 17th May 2011 at 13:49

I only use pro controls, but I having been playing Street Fighter for many years. I can fully sympathise with newbies using lite controls, and I dont mind playing against someond who does. The only problem I have is spammers. I think this could of been remedied by only allowing so many touches or having a refill meter between presses.
    Iam just happy us fight fans are being catered for so early in the 3DSes life.

12. Oxo64 Tuesday 17th May 2011 at 14:08

Don't like it? Don't use it. Simple.

13. Supernintendo Tuesday 17th May 2011 at 15:29

OH NO! SOMEONE MADE A COMMENT I DISAGREE WITH! FLAME! FLAME!

More seriously though, I agree with him. Whilst touch screen controls are user friendly, they offer no incentive to step up and play the game properly, offering no learning curve and few new hardcore players because of it. Whilst it's nice to have touch screen controls for casual play (the reason they've been included), half the fun of fighting games is picking a character and learning their in's and out's before perfecting the timing and moving onto the next challenger. Both ways work, and tbh 3DS fighters having instant controls is a decent idea, after all who wants to play an arcade mode on the bus? But if this sort of rubbish catches on with Project Starbucks or whatever it's called this week, then I'm moving into the arcade down the road to live a secluded life of arcade brawlers.

14. pokemonster Tuesday 17th May 2011 at 16:01

OH NO! SOMEONE MADE A COMMENT I DISAGREE WITH! FLAME! FLAME!

LoL project starbucks :lol:

15. Waldy565 Tuesday 17th May 2011 at 16:06

I think everyone knew it was gonna get a bit of criticism

16. Shinnos Tuesday 17th May 2011 at 18:41

...Whilst touch screen controls are user friendly, they offer no incentive to step up and play the game properly, offering no learning curve and few new hardcore players because of it. Whilst it's nice to have touch screen controls for casual play (the reason they've been included), half the fun of fighting games is picking a character and learning their in's and out's before perfecting the timing and moving onto the next challenger....

But surely that's the point, so that casual gamers and hardcore players can both get the same amount of enjoyment out of the title? And just because you can access some of the special moves and Super and Ultra Combos at the touch of a button (...or screen in this case), doesn't mean you can win so easily. It's still a question of learning when to use the moves at the right time for maximum effect.

I'll admit it's annoying playing online against someone who just repeatedly spams a special move, especially when they usually require the player to charge it, so you end up unwittingly being hit by a Sonic Boom or Flash Kick that you had no way of knowing was coming, but that's where I'm glad that Capcom enabled the option to play only against players using the same control system as you.

And personally speaking, I've occassionaly used the Lite controls when playing in Arcade mode with a character i'm unfamiliar with, just till i work out how their moves work and then I've stuck it back in Pro mode.

It's not as if Lite mode is the only way to play. By giving players the option I think Capcom have managed to give everyone the best of both worlds.

17. IPecksU Tuesday 17th May 2011 at 18:45

its optional and you can change it to pro mode...

and i agree with the touchscreen because it welcomes in inexperienced players and isnt all pretentiously "hardcore" like this guy seems to be. Probably just slamming it because of competition

18. PeterR Tuesday 17th May 2011 at 18:52

i liked the touchscreen controls at first as having never played street fighter it lets you jump straight in pulling off cool moves without having to practice first. got bored of them quickly though so i turned them off. so no problems realy.

19. GroovyGumshoe Tuesday 17th May 2011 at 19:09

I'm useless at fighting games, and I welcome the change. This guy is clearly just annoyed because ...

..well, I guess he's got to be annoyed at something.

20. kracian Tuesday 17th May 2011 at 22:22

Then.... don't use those controls? duh

21. Kirby8 Tuesday 17th May 2011 at 23:38

I used to be decent at doing the combos on the GBA game, but that was a long time ago. So, right now, I use the LITE controls, but I'm not repetitive with them as I like to have a proper match. And as soon as I get better at performing the combos of the cuff, then I will turn the LITE controls off. I don't really see what the problem is.

22. mushroomchow Wednesday 18th May 2011 at 07:46

Well i use the touchscreen controls as a SF failure, but i do agree with the hardcore contingent - it makes my life a lot easier.

The problem is that to get ahead online (unless you play pro mode, in which guys like me will get slaughtered without 2 years training) you have to fight fire with fire. To beat a spammer, you might as well spam yourself. I dont agree with it and try to use proper controls, but it's normally the only option.