E3 2011: Luigi's Mansion 2 release date: 'early 2012'?

Release date hint surfaces; Next Level developing

Nintendo has suggested that the newly-announced Luigi's Mansion 2 on 3DS could arrive "relatively early next year."

Loading video...

In a roundtable session at E3, Nintendo also explained the reason for the return of the ghostbusting GameCube title.

"When we first began experimenting with 3DS one of the first games we used was the GameCube game."

Nintendo also confirmed that they have handed development of the title to another studio, but that Miyamoto is keeping a close eye on it.

"We found someone to help with it and they are called Next Level Games. We have worked with them in past past on Mario Strikers and Punch-Out!! They got very excited when we asked them to do it. Technically my group is at EAD but it [Luigi's Mansion 2] is something that I have become personally responsible for. Development is going very smooth so it's one to look forward to."

Don't miss a thing from E3 2011: Check out the rest of our E3 2011 coverage here.

Comments

1. 3MEGAMAN Wednesday 8th Jun 2011 at 02:58

a good game to look forward at the start of 2012 :mrgreen:

2. lolly93 Wednesday 8th Jun 2011 at 07:14

loved the gamecube one so will be getting this one ooooo i cant wait >_< x

3. WarioBros Wednesday 8th Jun 2011 at 07:57

I want this as soon as possible!!
    It's great when an old series comes back after so long.

4. samus_killer Wednesday 8th Jun 2011 at 08:24

I trust Next Level Games, you can already see that LM2 is it's own game. At first I thought having NLG developing it was a bad idea and wanted the original development group, who worked on the first one, to work on the sequel. But then it could become too similar.

5. starvigilante Wednesday 8th Jun 2011 at 09:09

You know, I watched the Nintendo conference; I was very impressed by Wii U and everything, but THIS had me practically bouncing in my seat! :lol:

6. shy guy 64 Wednesday 8th Jun 2011 at 09:55

this game is going to be just plain awsome

i hope we still get to turn gohsts into paintings

and im looking forward to fighting that mummy gohst

7. WarioBros Wednesday 8th Jun 2011 at 10:07

This.

8. guitaraqua Wednesday 8th Jun 2011 at 14:19

I hope it incorporates street pass and spotpass, i don't know how, but still :)

9. Retrofan Wednesday 8th Jun 2011 at 16:02

Heck yes.

10. leaderdraco Wednesday 8th Jun 2011 at 18:04

This was my favourite announcement at the E3 Expo 2011. I love the idea of Luigi's Mansion 2, however I don't want to be whining, but some parts look a bit cartoony and also if the old ghosts were back - that would be brillant If this game had the same feel to it as the first one, I would be even happier! Nonetheless, it is a fantastic idea! :D

11. layton lover Sunday 12th Jun 2011 at 12:59

If Next level games mess this up, I will personally see the company collapse. :D

I love the original, but I trust Miyamoto to produce an amazing product which I will love.