E3 2011: Bioshock creator 'excited' about Wii U

"Nintendo have heard the voices of the hardcore gamer"

The creator of Bioshock is the latest leading games industry figure to express his admiration for Wii U.

Ken Levine, creative director of Irrational Games, told of the moment when he saw Wii U for the first time

"I was surprised quite frankly because it seemed that there were a lot of gamers and a lot of creative directors who were saying: 'this is what we want'. It seems like Nintendo heard the voices of the hardcore gamer.

"What I was most surprised about the Nintendo controller was the ability for it to stream content from wirelessly to the controller."

But does this mean that Bioshock will be coming to Wii U? Levine didn't reveal if he was working on any games for the console but he did confirm that he is excited by the new console.

"When any new tech comes along you have a period of experimentation," he added. "I'm certainly excited about it as a gamer and seeing what's going to come out."

Would you like a Bioshock game to be released for Wii U?

Earlier today, EA's Frank Gibeau said that Mass Effect would be a really nice fit for Wii U

Don't miss a thing from E3 2011: Check out the rest of our E3 2011 coverage here.

Comments

1. JamieRIOT Friday 10th Jun 2011 at 09:03

Personally i have only played bit of the original Bioshock. What mainly excites me about this article, is the amount of big 3rd party support that the WiiU is gaining.
    There must have been about 20 different developers over the last few day who have expressed their excitement and support in Nintendo's new home console and the console was only revealed on Tuesday, so there is tons of time to get everyone in the industry on board.
    One thing i would say about this 3rd party attention though, is that i don't want to see tons of games that have already been on the Xbox360 and PS3 that we have already played, just being put on WiiU as a way for Nintendo gamers to 'catch up'. Let's just have a couple of true classics that the consoles launch date would have just missed the mark on and then see lots of original exclusive titles.
    All in all i am hugely excited about the launch of the WiiU and really seeing what it can do. Having stayed faithful to Nintendo through the hard times of the Wii's lifespan and being mocked of favouring Nintendo over other platforms, i have never been so pumped about the companies near future and finally justifying to friends why they should have kept believing!

2. peteflea Friday 10th Jun 2011 at 09:23

Amen.

I get mocked at work for favouring nintendo :(
    As far as ported games go , I just dont want to see "only on x360 and ps3" any more , it means we loose out on a lot.
    The idea of battlefield on the wii u has got me particularly excited .

3. Devilmancheese Friday 10th Jun 2011 at 09:52

Well I have played both bioshocks aand really enjoyed them and am looking forward to bioshock infinite which is coming out next year, the wii-u is coming out next year so hopefully that would be coming out for the wii-u when it is released for ps3 and xbox360.That would solve the problems of people complaining of falling behind.... which I dont think is true!

4. Chaos_Lord Friday 10th Jun 2011 at 10:14

There should be more fps games including bioshock
    this is also a chance for more rts style games

5. Violet Friday 10th Jun 2011 at 10:58

I would happily snap up Bioshock alongside the likes of Darksiders II and Batman. Just because I'm a Nintendo gamer doesn't mean I'm not interested in these other franchises. Lets hope this is more than just lip service.

6. lyingthroughyour Friday 10th Jun 2011 at 12:02

Being an owner of all three systems, it is a fact that the Wii has the least amount of good games, and that is mainly down to third party support. I am very pleased that the third parties are supporting the Wii U, I just hope its with original content. If they're just going to release the same games on Wii U 6 months after they've come out on the other consoles whats the point?

7. Laughlyn Friday 10th Jun 2011 at 12:27

Problem is that even tho the Wii U maybe the more powerful unit, a multi format game is nly as good as the weakest link, the 360. hopefully if Sony also bring in some kindof Vita/PS3 combo to rival Wii U then we may start seeing some great ideas coming out while leaving the 360 behind. Bioshock has great potention for the controller. instead of awkwardly flicking between menus to highlight the camera/recorder thing you could simple raise the controlelr to tv and start recording the splicers. a buddy of mine also came up with using the Wii U controller for things like the all seeing eye from a new conduit game and in a way u could even have a 2 player co-op where one guy does teh running and gunning and one operates as the ASE on constant look out for secret paths and enemy weaknesses

8. andisart Friday 10th Jun 2011 at 12:57

I would love Bioshock Infinite on Wii U!
    I'm playing the first one at the moment and it's brilliant. And footage of Infinite looks spectacular.

Like JamieRIOT said, I am also really happy and excited about the interest of 3rd party developers.
    It looks like Nintendo is really addressing all the issues it got criticized for with Wii while still pulling off innovation and new experiences. Very neat indeed!

9. primus85 Friday 10th Jun 2011 at 13:46

oh my god yes please that would just make it even sweeter. i know battlefield hasnt been confirmed yet but having some of those titles at launch possibly would be the best line up of the decade as far as 3rd party support goes

10. jaco_p Friday 10th Jun 2011 at 13:57

bioshock is one of the finest games i have had the pleasure of playing. If more games like this make their way to nintendo's console, we will truly be having our cake and eating it. With the best of the big name third party titles bound for wii u and Nintendo's glut of their own standout franchises, this could be the best console ever.
    personally i've always been a nintendo gamer but i own an xbox 360. Looks like it could be made redundant! hopefully this will win ovedr some 'hardcore' players. I consider myself a 'hardcore' gamer but that doesn't mean i play shooters all day, in fact, i don't play any. but i do play a lot of games. i digress! arguement for another day :D

11. saswatch Friday 10th Jun 2011 at 15:41

what if sega make console again but just put videogames on it. this is my point i think the big 3 going to far with online and making single player games not important look at nearly ever xbox 360 and ps3 game they try and put online gaming into it instead of caring about single player i hope nintendo dont do this as the games will not be as good. this is just my opinion that dreamcast made the perfect balance between online and single player gaming.

12. 3MEGAMAN Friday 10th Jun 2011 at 19:02

It truly depends on the 3rd party developers, i don't think nintendo will do that, but some devs will. It would be nice if devs could make games with a strong single player with a strong online compotent, similar to how uncharted 3 is doing.

13. Funkymunkz Saturday 11th Jun 2011 at 23:18

I really wish he didn't say "hardcore gamer". Just "gamer" will do. :roll:

It would be fun to see perhaps a separate Bioshock series spinoff perhaps. Building the main series arc into it may pee a lot of people off.

14. Declansupermega Sunday 12th Jun 2011 at 04:30

I was never a huge fan of online mulitplayer, but lately some online experiences have entertained me, like Portal 2 which also has a great single player by the way, Team Fortress 2, which has not single player, and Mario Kart...which I assume you know.

Also sorry to have to be the one to tell you this ( it happened to me too ) but you should improve your grammar if your going to post on forums. Don't worry I made the same mistake when I started talking on forums.

15. saswatch Sunday 12th Jun 2011 at 20:43

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo im not at school anymore so i don't need too improve my grammar so it not important i swear everyone on this forum are such stiffs :mrgreen:

16. kraid Monday 13th Jun 2011 at 05:19

BioShock >BioShock 2
    By a lot.

Unless it's a new BioShock I probably won't get it. I already own the first 2 and I will have Infinite by the time the Wii U is out, assuming Infinite's launch is beforehand. But then if it's a multiplatform BioShock I'll probably end up getting it for the PC. It's great that a load of die hard Nintendo-only fans will get to experience BioShock though, it's a brilliant game and franchise.

Now all we need them to experience is the Elder Scrolls and they'll be up to date with what they've missed.