Zelda is not a princess in Skyward Sword - Aonuma

Zelda producer gives away some plot details

Zelda will not be a princess in The Legend Of Zelda: Skyward Sword. That's the word from Zelda producer Eiji Aounuma who explained more about the plot in a recent interview with Japanese magazine Famitsu.

Loading video...

"She's [Zelda] not a princess this time which is something I'll pretty much have to put forth right now in order to talk about this title," said Aonuma.

"She's a childhood friend, but she goes away in the midst of the game and it's Link's job to search for her."

If you've read our Legend Of Zelda: Skyward Sword preview, Link has to earn the respect of Zelda by catching a bird.

As Aonuma points out it's quite different from other Zelda games. "This game's plot is something like a school drama, you could say. The flying sequence at the E3 demo is Link competing against his classmates. One of them looks kind of a like a bad guy, as you saw, and he shows up in other ways in the game too, since he has a major thing for Zelda."

Watch our Zelda: Skyward Sword speed run video

[ Source: 1Up ]

Comments

1. Hylian_Grouch Wednesday 29th Jun 2011 at 15:40

plot details = interesting. maybe this is the game that introduces us to the very first girl named zelda...

2. Eragon Firesword Wednesday 29th Jun 2011 at 15:44

I see. So maybe Ganon (as the three of them seem linked by fate) is the bad kid? And the three go on to start the three bloodlines - I've speculated in the past all the Links, Zeldas and Ganons are of the same line of descent. I'd put that plot detail in if I had my way...

3. Hylian koopa Wednesday 29th Jun 2011 at 15:48

Hmmmmm. . . I'm intrigued, yet suspicious.

4. allanironmaiden Wednesday 29th Jun 2011 at 15:58

interesting theory from eragon there. though if the bully kid was ganondorf (or the starter for the bloodline of ganondorf) then he would need to end up getting together with a gerudo at some point since ganondorf was the first gerudo male in 1000 years in OOT

strange zelda not being a princess......i always had the hope she would turn into the princess of hyrule near the end?

5. Poke-J Wednesday 29th Jun 2011 at 16:45

Wasn't it confirmed some time ago that she was just the chief's daughter?

6. Snizzbut Wednesday 29th Jun 2011 at 18:31

Actually, that makes sense cos anouma said youd find out where ganondorf comes from!

7. Waldy565 Wednesday 29th Jun 2011 at 19:15

it's always seemed like they've had soemthing in common, just becuase Link aint very formal with her. mind you, he normally has to save her and her kingdom from evil, so... Also, really glad he's told us what she is, and im quite hyped bout that!

8. SilverLightning Wednesday 29th Jun 2011 at 19:37

Called it.

There's no kingdom of Hyrule, it makes sense that this is the game that establishes it.

9. Super Andre Wednesday 29th Jun 2011 at 19:37

That sounds good Eragon you could be right.

10. Super Andre Wednesday 29th Jun 2011 at 19:47

Dont forget the creaters have put alot of time making the game so it's bound to be an Amazing game.

11. legendwork Wednesday 29th Jun 2011 at 20:00

Sounds to me like the creators have been watching some harry potter!!!!!

12. Captain Kuchiki Wednesday 29th Jun 2011 at 20:35

Hmm...a "High School Drama"? That's what's making me doubt it more than Zelda not being a Princess anymore.

Also, Link just looks weird.

13. TheSonicGod Wednesday 29th Jun 2011 at 21:55

Yeah That sounds like it would be cool if this is how all of hyrule came about, and also a starting point for the tri-force being linked to Zelda and Ganon and link. Awesome.

14. evanid Wednesday 29th Jun 2011 at 23:56

So is this at the very begining of the Zelda timeline? Because all the storylines talk of a previous hero who defeated the evil in legend and you were the new hero wielding the same power. Maybe this is about the very first hero.

Also the original oot time says that the hero seemed to come out of no where, maybe because he came from the sky?!

15. taximadish Thursday 30th Jun 2011 at 05:59

I really hope this one turns out to be the "Origin" of the series. If this one answers all the questions about how Hyrule and it's problems all began, that's my wishes fulfilled.

16. Eragon Firesword Thursday 30th Jun 2011 at 09:43

Oh dear... have I maybe guessed a bit of the plot? That's what you get for having just read the Old Kingdom trilogy...

17. Snizzbut Saturday 2nd Jul 2011 at 00:30

OMG!!!
    One of my FAV books series!
    Have you read the short story as well?

18. Joe_Crow Tuesday 5th Jul 2011 at 14:25

Sounds good! Nice to see Zelda being a bit more important in the game of her name.

19. zapper01 Wednesday 6th Jul 2011 at 18:11

I guess this will explain how she becomes Princess... Maybe Link will become the first king of hyrule?