Super Mario 3DS to feature more familiar suits

Koizumi tells ONM that there's more to the game than the Tanooki Suit

Mario's wardrobe will be stocked with famous outfits in the new Super Mario 3DS game. While the Tanooki Suit was revealed at E3, Super Mario director Yoshiaki Koizumi has told Official Nintendo Magazine that the game will feature even more familiar suits.

Loading video...

"I can't reveal the actual number of power-ups in the game right now, but suffice to say that we do try to include enough so that people can enjoy a variety of different kinds of play experiences in the title," Koizumi told ONM.

"Also, I should point out that we don't necessarily decide on what number of famous Mario suits will appear in the game and proceed from there - we try to find interesting gameplay ideas and then try to settle on what to do in different places."

He added: "But I can say that we will definitely have some more familiar suits than just the Tanooki Suit."

Exciting news. Now it's your turn to tell us which suits should appear in Super Mario 3D.

You can read the full interview with Yoshiaki Koizumi in the August issue of Official Nintendo Magazine when it goes on sale on Thursday 7 July. The issue is with subscribers now. Want to make sure you receive ONM before it reaches the shops? Subscribe now and get a copy of Monster Hunter Tri.

Read our first Super Mario 3D hands-on impressions.

Comments

1. Redfish20 Monday 4th Jul 2011 at 12:44

I'd be more interested in seeing some new suits tbh although I'd be well up for a return of the Penguin Suit.

May I propose a Bob-omb suit (similar to the bomb mask in Majora's) a Dr Mario suit (coloured pills destroyed differently coloured blocks/enemies/whathaveyou) and The Chimp suit (you win).

2. Blue Toad Monday 4th Jul 2011 at 12:50

Frog Suit. That is all.

3. Rio-roller Monday 4th Jul 2011 at 12:54

i would like to see a return of the frog suit plus the classic fire and ice suits as well as one or two new suits please

4. AaronMclaren Monday 4th Jul 2011 at 12:56

Please let there be the frog suit... I LOVE the frog suit :D

5. JamieRIOT Monday 4th Jul 2011 at 12:59

@Blue Toad
    YES! YES!.. I couldn't have put it better myself!
    Also, i would like to see some sort of 'Flying Cap', i would love to wizz about in 3D! :)

6. ARWING64 Monday 4th Jul 2011 at 13:01

Penguin suit
    Spring suit
    SMG Ice mario
    metal mario
    wing cap

7. shy guy 64 Monday 4th Jul 2011 at 13:03

hopefully bee mario or cloud mario

but i'd like to see frog mario as well

8. Buffalo_K Monday 4th Jul 2011 at 13:27

Kuribo's Shoe.
    Hell yeah.

9. George3970 Monday 4th Jul 2011 at 13:33

Hammer Bros suit FTW!!!

10. sofree Monday 4th Jul 2011 at 13:33

Bee Mario!! It would rock :D

11. ledreppe Monday 4th Jul 2011 at 13:47

SPRING MARIO! LOL

12. WarioBros Monday 4th Jul 2011 at 14:02

FROGSUIT!!!

Also penguin suit. And a new one would be nice too.

13. mu3zzer Monday 4th Jul 2011 at 14:36

I don't mind that much as long as they are easy to control (unlike the spring in Galaxies) and they don't have a time limit either (like fire/ice flower in Galaxies).

14. TheWarioMan Monday 4th Jul 2011 at 14:53

Kuribo's shoe, for at least one level.
    Also, SMG Ice Mario, and SMB3 Hammer Bro. suit.

15. Dertdood Monday 4th Jul 2011 at 15:00

The shoe

16. RaidingRaichu Monday 4th Jul 2011 at 15:06

Frog suit, Ice suit and perhaps the FLUDD.

17. issun1412 Monday 4th Jul 2011 at 15:07

Hammer suit. same mechanics as pikmin but with hammers. In 3d :mrgreen:

18. Turboman Monday 4th Jul 2011 at 16:02

Hammer Bros suit FTW!!!

indeed

19. cheatmaster30 Monday 4th Jul 2011 at 16:18

This better mean the return of the Hammer Suit. I loved that power up, with it's one hit kill against Boom Boom and nigh on every other enemy powers, and I think it'd open up a whole host of possibilities. The Frog Suit would be cool, but I wouldn't care for it as much.

20. Hylian_Grouch Monday 4th Jul 2011 at 16:39

propeller cap was cool, id like that back. also cloud mario would achieve a similar objective. either way they make for better exploration which is the best bit...

21. zapper01 Monday 4th Jul 2011 at 17:03

No more recycled material. I don't care for any power-ups that aren't new.

22. McSam Monday 4th Jul 2011 at 17:20

I'd like to see the Hammer Bro suit return, as well as Kuribo's Shoe, they were favourites of mine.

23. TaleOfTheToaster Monday 4th Jul 2011 at 17:33

I'd like to see Kuriboe's Shoe, and the Penguin Suit. I know very little about the Hammer Bro suit, but it sounds interesting. I doubt Cloud Mario will be coming back, as what I've allowed myself to see shows that there isn't that much room to move around, rendering the clouds quite useless. Spring Mario would work.

Somebody's already said this, but I'd like a Dr. Mario suit. The game Dr. Mario did not need Mario, and wasted an opportunity for a brand new character. But if Dr. Mario's going to exist and take up a character slot in Melee which Conker The Squirrel could have filled while Nintendo still had the rights, he might as well be used in a major Mario role.

My own idea would be a Monty Mole/Rocky Wrench suit.

PS: Some sources, including the Mario Wiki claim that this game is slated for an August release. Does anyone know where that came from?

PPS: THIS GAME NEEDS TROPICAL-GALAXY PENGUINS! God, I missed them in Galaxy 2.

24. lrwr14 Monday 4th Jul 2011 at 17:53

I really liked the turtle suit of NSMB(DS) I was disappointed when I found it wasn't in NSMB wii. I also liked the penguin suit from NSMB wii.

25. darkprince Monday 4th Jul 2011 at 17:56

the rock suit from super mario galaxy 2

26. MarioMayhem Monday 4th Jul 2011 at 18:18

I would like:
    Fire Flower (the classic way - without a time limit)
    Frog Suit
    Yoshi
    Kuribo Shoe
    Starman
    Mushroom (of course)
    Wing Cap
    Penguin Suit (although it may not work that well in 3D like it did in 2D)
    Tanooki Suit (but we all know about this)
    Hammer Bros. Suit
    Boo Mario

27. supertris82 Monday 4th Jul 2011 at 18:34

I'm only 12 years old so I don't probably know as much of Mario as the next man around from the era who was Nintendo mad ( Just like me ) :) Anyway I've played Super Mario Bros. 3 and i liked the Tanooki Suit and to know that there is another Mario game coming out brings a tear of illuminous joy to my eye :)

28. MrChewtoy Monday 4th Jul 2011 at 19:55

Most of the obvious ones have been mentioned, so...

Lubba suit. Increases Mario's coolness by 20% and makes him fatter and floatier too.

29. 2Black4U Monday 4th Jul 2011 at 21:39

they took some ideas from warioland on the Virtual boy, it looks like a lot of fun and i like all the perspective gameplay. i'm curious if you'll be able to see more around you as the camera view and angles looks limited to me.

30. BYL Monday 4th Jul 2011 at 21:42

I'm guessing it may also be the return of the Frog Suit :3

31. Avalanche2114 Tuesday 5th Jul 2011 at 07:08

It would love it if they included the frog, hammer bros and shell suit.

32. pompeyuni12 Tuesday 5th Jul 2011 at 08:51

please no spring mario, I hated those levels/stars.
    I would like to see boo mario again as there were not enough times you could use it, and also a few new ones would be cool!
    My favourite power-up is the red star from mg1 which let's you fly, not sure if there has been something similar before or not, but it was really cool!

33. KoreeluStromboli Tuesday 5th Jul 2011 at 08:58

I like how Mario somersaulted into those Goombas near the beginning of the Super Mario 3DS trailer; that made me think of Sonic Adventure 2 Battle.

On topic, the power-ups I would like to see in the upcoming 3DS game are the Drill from Galaxy 2, the Metal Mario form from Super Mario 64, along with the kickass music, the Mega Mushroom from the original New Super Mario Bros. and Flying Mario and Ice Mario from Galaxy 1.

34. bananaoomarang Tuesday 5th Jul 2011 at 09:46

I just want the flying cap, that's my favourite item of all time! SO many great memories from 64...

35. starvigilante Tuesday 5th Jul 2011 at 10:51

I couldn't help but notice that most of the power-ups mentioned are from Super Mario Bros 3. :)
    I would love to see the return of the Hammer Bros suit, still a scandal that there's so few of them in SMB3. :x

36. Shinnos Tuesday 5th Jul 2011 at 11:19

You may only be 12, but "a tear of illuminous joy" is perhaps one of the best things I've read today (admittedly I only got out of bed a few hours ago and haven't read much today, but still...)

Anyway, Hammer Bros Suit would be good. I remember that being quite elusive in SMB3. And no sooner would i get one, than i'd end up getting hit and losing it! Bah!

Frog suit would be good if there's underwater levels involved.

But I'm shocked that there are actually people on here who said they'd like to see the Spring Suit return. It's inclusion in Galaxy 2 was the one blip in an otherwise perfect game!

37. Eragon Firesword Tuesday 5th Jul 2011 at 14:01

The Hammer Bros suit should make a comeback. I mean, why not?

38. DSVIP Tuesday 5th Jul 2011 at 14:24

The tanooki suit that turns into a statue, and give it more uses than invincibilty, perhaps used to do secrets. Oh, and cape, cape, cape, cape cape, and while youre at it, scrap both kinds of tanooki! The cape gliding is just the best, and the spin attack, and then theres the flying and stomping. (cat suit flies, spins, and sort of glides too, but i dont like the way it does it as much).

39. Dan-the-Wii-man Tuesday 5th Jul 2011 at 14:52

Whoever said spring suit... :evil:

40. GloverMist Tuesday 5th Jul 2011 at 15:27

Tanooki Mario = most epic thing ever created! (Joint with the Spanish Meta Knight for Kirby Right Back At Ya!) :D

41. ledreppe Tuesday 5th Jul 2011 at 16:12

Whoever said spring suit... :evil:

'twas me! :twisted:

42. david wev Tuesday 5th Jul 2011 at 17:49

the penguin suit should be there, and the koopa suit

43. Hams96 Thursday 7th Jul 2011 at 03:43

I don't care what suits they put in the game, as long as it doesn't ruin it. However, it would be cool if they introduced the mega and mini mushrooms to 3D mario games.

44. taximadish Thursday 7th Jul 2011 at 04:03

I would love to see the return of ANY of the Caps from Mario 64! Wing Cap, Metal Cap, Invisibility Cap... Please?

45. shane102009 Thursday 7th Jul 2011 at 07:57

id love to see the penguin suit and the flying hat please

46. TheRedPlumber Thursday 7th Jul 2011 at 15:44

Away with the suits.

POISON MUSHROOM!!

47. MeritedMIKE Friday 8th Jul 2011 at 19:55

Please Nintendo,
    The rock mushroom from galaxy 2 would be cool, especially in 3D with all the rocks coming towards you! :lol:

48. NickallowBros Saturday 9th Jul 2011 at 10:33