Zelda: Majora's Mask came to me in a dream - Koizumi

Koizumi reveals his inspiration

Yoshiaki Koizumi has told Official Nintendo Magazine that the idea for The Legend Of Zelda: Majora's Mask came to him as he was idly daydreaming.

Unlike Shigeru Miyamoto who draws inspiration from real life, the Ocarina Of Time director told us that dreams have provided him with ideas for games.

"Occasionally I also take images from dreams. Perhaps I am a little bit different from Mr Miyamoto in that sense.

"So if I could just give an example of one of those idle daydreams that turns into an idea for a game, I would look up at the moon and think about what would happen if the moon started to fall towards Earth. From that idea we moved onto the world in Majora's Mask which is threatened by being destroyed by the moon."

Koizumi must have pretty weird daydreams if he imagines the moon being like the one in Majora's Mask.

After all, as we said in our Legend Of Zelda: Majora's Mask Virtual Console review, the N64 adventure is the most twisted Zelda game ever.

Hands-up who would like to see it being remade for 3DS?

You can read the full interview with Yoshiaki Koizumi in the August issue of Official Nintendo Magazine when it goes on sale on Thursday 7 July. The issue is with subscribers now. Want to make sure you receive ONM before it reaches the shops? Subscribe now!

Comments

1. starvigilante Tuesday 5th Jul 2011 at 10:56

Please Nintendo remake Majora's Mask for 3DS!! I didn't even think about it until I saw it mentioned; am too busy with OOT:3D. :D

2. orkhun Tuesday 5th Jul 2011 at 11:04

3D remake would be nice virtual console games don't do well today's HD large screen TV with higher resolution but for 3DS they would be great :mrgreen:

3. Shinnos Tuesday 5th Jul 2011 at 11:07

While I'd prefer to see an entirely new Zelda game for the 3DS, I have to say that Majora's Mask 3D would be awesome!

4. scouserfuller9 Tuesday 5th Jul 2011 at 11:11

Would be great to play it again in 3D but would rather see a new Zelda title. The only ones who are really achieving with remakes are the younger gamers.

5. CrimsonViper Tuesday 5th Jul 2011 at 11:13

I thought to myself that a Majora's Mask remake is on the cards as it's a direct sequel to OoT but I sincerely hope that they don't. I just want Nintendo to make a new game instead of making games that I've already played before that I can buy on Wii's Virtual Console for about a tenner.

6. Ai64 Tuesday 5th Jul 2011 at 11:23

I didn't know majora's mask was a dream inspiration.
    Anyway, a remake of Majora's mask would be ace! :D

7. Violet Tuesday 5th Jul 2011 at 11:31

They need to remake A Link to the Past first, they've been hinting at that one for ages now.

8. ElfenLied Tuesday 5th Jul 2011 at 11:34

Majora's Mask is my favourite game of all time and it most probably will be for the rest of my life. It would make my life so much easier and happier if they remade it for the 3DS. It's so easy to use and I completed OoT ages ago and want to carry on with MM!!
    (To the maker: Please please please read our comments of how much we want this! You would never regret it!! You are my hero (: <3)

9. oyster18 Tuesday 5th Jul 2011 at 11:55

I'd much rather have a sequel to Majora's mask. I love that game one of my favourite games of all time and I have to know what happens next!!

10. EldridgeL Tuesday 5th Jul 2011 at 12:10

It would be good to remake it for 3DS- I've never played it so it might be nice to experience it in the same way I've experienced OoT:3D. And it should be fairly quick if they did, because OoT:3D proves they have just the right formula for a spectacular port. :)

11. PuAl Tuesday 5th Jul 2011 at 12:42

@scouserfuller

No disrespect meant, but your comment isn't true at all. I'm 28, a lifelong gamer and, because in my early teens my brother got an N64 and I got a Playstation, I never got the chance to play more than about ten minutes of Ocarina of Time and none of Majora's Mask. There's no way that I'm the only long term gamer who didn't get the chance to play certain classic games, so remakes are just as worthwhile to me as they are to younger gamers.

Plus, let's not forget remakes such as Resident Evil on the Gamecube/Wii - that game took excellent source material and made it fresh, adding significant new content, upgrading the graphics and sound (trivial matters in some games, but very important indeed in a game that was always meant to be an immersive cinematic experience), and adding to the mythos of the setting in a significant way.

12. shy guy 64 Tuesday 5th Jul 2011 at 13:00

i'm sure i read this recaently

wasn't it in the new magazine?

13. primus85 Tuesday 5th Jul 2011 at 13:39

it would be rude not to

14. Captain Kuchiki Tuesday 5th Jul 2011 at 14:22

"Duuuude, the moon is like, so big! It must be falling down! WE ONLY HAVE THREE DAYS PEOPLE; THE MOON IS FALLING!"

What was Koizumi smoking when he had that dream? xD

15. Saulmeister3 Tuesday 5th Jul 2011 at 15:24

nah, super mario sunshine 3d

16. ledreppe Tuesday 5th Jul 2011 at 16:08

I never played Oot on the N64, so I got the 3D remake and loved it! I do have Majora's Mask on N64, but became lost and never finished it. I would be torn between getting a 3D remake of MM, and just popping the N64 cartridge into my N64 and trying to finish it, with a guide this time, rather than spending upwards of Ł30 on a 3DS version. Hmm... decisions, decisions.

Also @PuAL I agree that some older gamers haven't played some of the Zelda classics, and 3D remakes mean just as much to them as it does to younger gamers. I missed out on the opportunity to play OoT on the N64, and I felt it was a huge gap in my gaming career, so I quickly snapped up Oot 3D. As I said before, I don't know about a MM remake, as I actually have the original cart' for that.

17. scouserfuller9 Tuesday 5th Jul 2011 at 16:58

@scouserfuller

If people wanna know what games in the past are like it would be best Nintendo continue with games on the Wii Virtual Console and eShop for those yet to experience them whilst they also continue developing new games for those who have played them already. I'm 27 myself and although it's good to see some classics bought back it's best not to over do it. Pikmin 1 and 2 were both re-released on the Wii and are great games but wouldn't a Pikmin 3 be more what the fans are after? Like Zelda OOT it would be great to see Zelda MM on the 3DS but at the same time frustrating for those having already played it to have then gone a few years missing out on a new Zelda title because alot of the focus has been based on two re-makes.

18. dm_1782 Tuesday 5th Jul 2011 at 17:09

Nintendo get Grezzo to do Majoras Mask next please :D

19. Waldy565 Tuesday 5th Jul 2011 at 17:13

that cool! suprising really, btw got lego pirates and warioland: shake it for wii, mario and luigi: partners in time and pokemon white for ds(really really enjoying! :D), and the original metroid and kirby yesterday cuz it was my bday. good choices everyone?

20. david wev Tuesday 5th Jul 2011 at 17:44

YES! YES! A THOUSAND TIMES YES!!! :D

21. greenboy Tuesday 5th Jul 2011 at 18:02

Please remake Majoras mask for 3DS! that game is awesome :). Also remake Wind waker for the wii that game is awesome as well and other gamecube classics still need a remake on wii.

22. Fidu Tuesday 5th Jul 2011 at 18:32

*raises hand*

23. AceJuly28 Tuesday 5th Jul 2011 at 19:00

I've never played Majoras Mask but it looks amazing. Nintendo please remake so I can enjoy it :) :D :mrgreen:

24. Cinaclov Tuesday 5th Jul 2011 at 20:16

For any other game series I wouldn't think remaking the sequel just because the original has been remade is a great idea (especially if there's little to gain at the expense of a brand new product), but for Majoras mask i'd make an exception. The character models were reused from OoT (the same could be implemented here, saving development time) and the original game itself did relatively badly because of various issues surrounding the expansion pack (ie; needing one, the price of getting one, there not being enough, etc). I've only managed to play it on Collectors Edition (again, quite limited release) and looking at it in that sense, i'd say a remake for MM almost makes more sense than remaking OoT did, as far less people got to play it originally, let alone now.

Plus there's much more room to add new features than on OoT. MM isn't as generally revered as OoT (the main reason they were so tentative about adding features to OoT) plus there's the experience of creating OoT 3D to draw on, meaning they can push it a little further. There's no master quest for MM, so there's either opportunity to create one, a similar 'second quest' or else add lots of extras to the pre-existing world. And remember it's effectively a dream world, one where the progressive time dynamic plays a huge role. Loads of secrets could be added based around this (maybe a tide based cave, or an extra dungeon that only becomes accessible in the last 5 minutes before the moon crashes, something along those lines). I'm thinking it almost makes more sense that OoT did.

The only thing is the save system would perhaps need to be re-thought, it doesn't exactly lend itself to short bursts of handheld play. Maybe the quicksave could be moved to the menu (allowing you to save and quit anywhen) and the Owl statues could be a standard save system, whereby if you die (or the battery does :P) then you start from there rather than at the beginning of the whole 3 days again.

25. TOMB Tuesday 5th Jul 2011 at 20:58

my hand is up :D

26. 2Black4U Tuesday 5th Jul 2011 at 21:15

If they made a Majora's Mask 3D remake Nerd juice would spill out of me but what i really want is a bloody sequel!!! :evil: Make it a trilogy with link slightly older on his journey to find Navi i'm all for a remake but i think everyone here would be even more delighted if there created the "Ocarina of Time Trilogy" :D

27. concernedcamel Tuesday 5th Jul 2011 at 23:00

definately remake it but add more stuff in the 3 days and another temple and loads more dialouge with the characters aaaaand go in more detail with the conspiracys, stories and meanings behind certain stuff

28. ktt Wednesday 6th Jul 2011 at 10:02

ARR I would be soo happy if Majora's Mask was re-made for the 3DS, having never played it before it would be my oppurtunity to play on this fantastic game!!!

29. Zeldakid Wednesday 6th Jul 2011 at 14:53

OMG DEFFO REMAKE MAJORA'S MASK along with ocarina of time being the BEST Zelda game in exsistance majoraas mask follows after its brother :)

30. 72HoursRemain Wednesday 6th Jul 2011 at 23:22

Yes, please remake Majora's Mask! I've bought every re-release of it and I own both the holographic and normal cartridges for the N64, but I would pay 40 bucks in a heartbeat to have it on a portable system with updated graphics. OoT3D is beautiful, it would make my LIFE to see Majora's Mask like that.

31. DarkSide84 Thursday 7th Jul 2011 at 10:57

I'd rather have Majora's Mask remake instead of a new Zelda as I don't think another Spirit Tracks is going to have such a dark, twisted, compelling storyline or is going to be as original as the MM gameplay

32. IPecksU Thursday 7th Jul 2011 at 12:55

make it new and a remake, remake the orginal and expand the story to go to a few years later when Link's an adult, see what they can do with Termina:D

33. Starman64O Sunday 10th Jul 2011 at 15:36

MAJORA'S MASK 3D FTW!

If Nintendo can remake Ocarina into an even better masterpiece, they can easily do it to Majora's Mask too!
    Think about it, same/similar character, similar areas, it wouldn't be that hard!

34. 72HoursRemain Tuesday 12th Jul 2011 at 23:09

I really agree with you here, as fun as a new game can be, I think they are making too many and that some of them are lacking the depth I have come to expect in a Zelda game. Remakes are a good way to hold us over while they work on really awesome new games... which take a few years to create, giving them plenty of time to release remakes inbetween.

35. Amaterasu Wednesday 13th Jul 2011 at 07:56

After I completed Majora's Mask for the first time (I was seven.) way back in 2000, that bloody moon haunted my dreams for many years. I still tremble slightly at the sight of it. I can remember my older brother printed the moon out and made a mask out of it and chased me around wearing it...
    Though, it's strange; I first played Silent Hill when I was about six, and that didn't really frighten me at all...

Anyway, I'd love a Majora's Mask remake for the 3DS, but I think it wouldn't get the exposure such a rich game deserves and would probably fall flat. They'd be better off creating some kind of sequel. No doubt we'll see a 3DS Skyward Sword spin-off of sorts.