Downloadable demos considered for Wii U and 3DS

Would you like to play demos before you buy?

Nintendo is considering an auto download feature for Wii U and 3DS which could possibly see downloadable demos of new games being made available for the consoles.

Loading video...

Nintendo chief Satoru Iwata told shareholders that the company was considering this option at a recent meeting.

"At a past shareholders' meeting, we received the opinion that Nintendo should improve the design of its digital software distribution shop, and I think that we made measurable progress with Nintendo eShop," said Iwata.

"Additionally, when Nintendo would like to ask users to try a specific new game, we should deliver it to their Nintendo 3DS, and possibly Wii U, with their prior consent and recommend that they just try it and, if they like it, they can pay for it. In this way, we need to introduce users to unknown products," he added.

"Consumers are likely to be convinced to pay about 5,000 yen (£40) for a well-established franchise product, but not all the people are willing to pay a certain amount of money for an innovative but unknown product. Now is the time to prepare for these situations. We would like to respond to some of the concerns surrounding our business in this manner."

Would you like to play demos of games before you buy them? Capcom recently released a Resident Evil Revelations demo with Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D.

Comments

1. ktt Friday 8th Jul 2011 at 09:46

:o I've been waiting for this for ages! I think it would be a great idea, getting the chance to play a game before buying it will get more people downloading and buying them.

2. shy guy 64 Friday 8th Jul 2011 at 09:53

sounds good to me

3. emperor ing Friday 8th Jul 2011 at 10:01

Demos are really useful, and they were great on Wii, so having them on 3DS and WiiU is a no-brainer. Demos are one of the easiest ways to market games and to let people try them out.

4. Joe_Crow Friday 8th Jul 2011 at 10:15

this is great. I loved the ds ones on the wii. I hope we don't have to wait too long!

5. ledreppe Friday 8th Jul 2011 at 11:00

I'm all for demos, but it was not to long ago that Nintendo said that demos do not sell games. However, I tried Mario Vs. Donley Kong Mini Land Mayhem which I downloaded to my 3DS from my Wii, and I Liked it so much that I bought the DSiWare version from the 3DS eShop!

6. Riverlution Friday 8th Jul 2011 at 11:11

For gods sake, do it! Make it happen ASAP! As he says, people like me are only tempted to buy games that we already know and love (Zelda/ Mario etc in Nintendo's case) but I stay away from pretty much anything I don't recognise over a few pound. Gimme something to play, and I will be able to tell you if I want to play the rest of the game by buying the product in the store.

I just hope Nintendo aren't just saying this to raise our hopes.

7. daiches99 Friday 8th Jul 2011 at 11:14

It'd be nice if you were sketchy about getting a game or couldn't afford it.

8. thecoop Friday 8th Jul 2011 at 12:03

Yes please! It's about time. Incidentally, whatever happened to the good old days of a demo disc with your games magazines like in the old days?! Better than a free gift....

9. imbusydoctorwho Friday 8th Jul 2011 at 12:28

It's about time,just hope we won't have to wait long.
    We might even get those free Demo disks in a few years time to pay on the Wii U.

10. Chaos Zero Friday 8th Jul 2011 at 12:37

Demos would be helpful in selling lesser known games. If something like Okami appeared on Wii U and they released a demo for it, people could play the demo, get hooked and pay for the full game. I've played demos for other games on the PS3 and they made me want the whole thing so, yes. Demos would be a great addition

11. BreezySkells Friday 8th Jul 2011 at 13:13

That is also a yes please from me!

12. SS Vegeta Friday 8th Jul 2011 at 13:35

Demos are a great way of deciding which game to buy, so bringing it to the Wii U and the 3DS is a no brainer. I was unsure on buying inFamous but the demo convinced me to. Also, I was excited about Sonic Generations but the demo has changed my mind.

13. tomutwit Friday 8th Jul 2011 at 14:44

Seriously, it shouldn't even be considered. It should be a given. What did we get this gen? The DS Download Channel on Wii (so sole Ds owners couldn't try DS games) and WiiWare demos. Seriously, Nintendo, hurry up.

14. SammyDodger Friday 8th Jul 2011 at 16:24

I second that, Nintendo really need to get with the times with all these online features.

15. AR master Friday 8th Jul 2011 at 16:31

would definetly encourage me,i wasnt getting pokemon ranger guardian signs until i got a demo off the nintendo channel.

16. Cidiyance Friday 8th Jul 2011 at 18:45

I like the idea very much! But didn't they say no to the whole 3G thing?

17. lagiasyd Friday 8th Jul 2011 at 19:51

Absolutely yes! The Wiiware demos were great fun and had the wii had its own retail demos, games like okami and muramasa would have been more recognised and sold better. Wii U needs this ASAP

18. legendwork Friday 8th Jul 2011 at 21:56

I'd say yes but don't expect this until next year spring/summer 2012..... Nintendo are always slow with the development of this sort of thing....... say no more................ the wii "cough"

19. redeye Saturday 9th Jul 2011 at 06:38

oh yes! demos are great and as i no longer have a wii am unable to download them, so bring it onhttp://forums.officialnintendomagazin ... 1&t=83353#

20. shane102009 Saturday 9th Jul 2011 at 08:59

I love this idea i want the e3 demos to download.For free please?

21. jfm24 Saturday 9th Jul 2011 at 09:15

Good idea :D

22. NickallowBros Saturday 9th Jul 2011 at 10:34

Sounds like a plan

23. Xikelle Saturday 9th Jul 2011 at 12:42

Yes, sure looking at a blurb and the reviews can be okay-ish, but there's no decider like actually being able to try out what you're considering buying.
    Steam have got free demos.
    Heh, as far as 3DS eshop's concerned, I've been downloading just about all the free stuff I can get.

24. NintenAli Saturday 16th Jul 2011 at 16:34

i think it would be a waste of space i mean why buy a demo when you can buy a game and stick on ebay or switch it at your local store and get your money back (or more) or switch it for a new game

25. blackdog1979 Thursday 27th Oct 2011 at 09:40

It'll be a great idea as long as there are a regular flow of new demos added to this service. The DS Download section of the Nintendo channel was great but new demos are few and far between.

I sometimes "try before I buy" when I rent games from the local video rental store.