Free 3DS NES games get multiplayer update

Make sure you sign up for the eShop

Nintendo has revealed that the free NES games that are to be offered to early 3DS adopters will be updated to feature wireless multiplayer options.

As announced last week, Nintendo are giving out classic games to those who register for Nintendo 3DS eShop before 12 August.

In a press release, Nintendo announced that some of these games would be updated versions of 10 NES originals including Super Mario Bros, Donkey Kong Jr, Balloon Fight, Ice Climber and The Legend of Zelda.

Now Nintendo has moved to clarify what these updated features will be.

"These will be 2D games. They are not 3D Classics," a Nintendo spokesperson told IGN. "When the NES games become available to the general public later this year, they will include additional features such as multiplayer simultaneous play. Ambassadors will then be able to download those updated version at no cost."

3DS ambassadors will also be able to download free GBA games which will be made available from 1 September.

Comments

1. ronanm94 Monday 1st Aug 2011 at 11:48

ah well it doesnt matter if theyre in 3d or not theyre still free classics cant wait for metroid fusion cause its the one metroid game i havent played yet

2. HellfireComms Monday 1st Aug 2011 at 12:03

I wish we download gamecube games like super smash bros. melee or T.L.O.Z wind waker for the 3ds :?

3. JamieRIOT Monday 1st Aug 2011 at 12:10

I heard about this a few days back and it's awesome news! For anyone who doesn't have a 3DS already and whose either never played these games, or just love them, buy a console BEFORE the price drop. This way you will get roughly 120 of free software, what's not to like about that?!

4. Missile T Dog Monday 1st Aug 2011 at 12:59

Hurah, and september second ain't to far of. Looks like september will be a busy month for me with xenoblade, star fox and a bunch of free games, once again, thanks nintendo :)

5. shy guy 64 Monday 1st Aug 2011 at 13:01

sounds good to me

6. Dertdood Monday 1st Aug 2011 at 13:19

Wow! I was happy with just getting the games, but now we're getting multiplayer support!

7. Buffalo_K Monday 1st Aug 2011 at 13:31

Stop spoiling us Nintendo.

8. CyberGW Monday 1st Aug 2011 at 13:45

Do you have to register?
    I thought it was just visit the E-shop.
    Do you just have to visit it once?

9. mirage 5x5 Monday 1st Aug 2011 at 13:56

Do you have to register?
    I thought it was just visit the E-shop.
    Do you just have to visit it once?

as long as you have been on the eshop before the 12th of august you are in for some free games :D

10. Toku-r Monday 1st Aug 2011 at 14:07

Wait, I thought that the GBA games were coming out at the end of the year, are they now coming out WITH the NES one Sep 1st? :D :D :D

11. bouncer0304 Monday 1st Aug 2011 at 14:44

Say now i downloaded all 10 NES games and a few weeks later the updated versions were available. Would the versions i have just update with the extra multiplayer options, would the new versions write over the old versions or would i have two copies of each game- one with the extra stuff and one without? I hope it's the one where they just add the extra data as i wouldn't like to lose any saves (if any) i had on the games. Anyone at ONM know? Thanks!

12. Dalek222 Monday 1st Aug 2011 at 16:26

Is the 3Ds supposed to notify me, to confirm ive signed up for it? :?

13. Waldy565 Monday 1st Aug 2011 at 16:47

GUTTERED! WHY, OH WHY, DIDNT I BUY ONE EARLIER!

14. Dalek222 Monday 1st Aug 2011 at 16:59

Do you have to register?
    I thought it was just visit the E-shop.
    Do you just have to visit it once?

So you just have to go on the e-shop and thats it? I don`t get notified?

15. whitley Monday 1st Aug 2011 at 17:32

I am so psyched for this! Got my 3DS on Friday, as soon as I heard about the free games, I ordered. This deal is such a good offer, all those games I've always wanted to play but never got the chance!

16. bigterence Monday 1st Aug 2011 at 18:23

Good news,but bought my 3ds on release and lovin it more by the day. After all we live in a 3d world,so we play our games in 3d.Never regreted my decision..ever.

17. ledreppe Monday 1st Aug 2011 at 18:34

It's good to see them adding wireless multiplayer to them, instead of just chucking out the orgiginal versions with no extra work done to them, September's going to be a busy month for me (and many others I would imagine)!

18. wilrc6 Monday 1st Aug 2011 at 18:36

This is absolutely amazing. I knew Nintendo wouldn't let us down

19. pikmin1003 Monday 1st Aug 2011 at 19:25

So awesome I'm still a bit confused would the gameboy advance games be ready by September 2 and can we have golden sun 1 and 2, boktai, minish cap, one of the gba fzero and finaly fire embelem the second one that was released for gba not the one with lyn I've already got it and thanks so much nintendo for the free games.

20. imbusydoctorwho Monday 1st Aug 2011 at 21:08