Mario Wii U: 'I have too many ideas' - Koizumi

Nintendo having to narrow them down

Yoshiaki Koizumi, the director of Super Mario 3D Land, has told Official Nintendo Magazine that he has too many ideas for a Mario Wii U game.

Koizumi told us that he has been busy brainstorming ideas to the point where he has started to narrow them down.

"As it turns out, I have too many ideas at the moment for Mario games on Wii U," said Koizumi. "I'm going to have to start narrowing them down and thinking about which ideas might work well together so that the whole system will be an enjoyable experience rather than a hodgepodge of ideas."

Of course, Nintendo showed off New Super Mario Bros. Mii at E3 2011 for Wii U but it was only a prototype.

Do you have any ideas for a Mario Wii U game? Share them with us by commenting below.

You can find out how Wii U is inspiring a new era of games development in the September issue of Official Nintendo Magazine which goes on sale on 4 August.

The issue is already with subscribers who have been leaving their feedback on ONM 72.

Want to receive the magazine before it reaches the shops? Subscribe now and get a 3DS Starter Pack.

Comments

1. tohaker Monday 1st Aug 2011 at 13:26

I think a good, 64 style adventure is in order. A main hub, and some new level design features will make a good new game, possibly with the controller screen for helping to play minigames! Maybe some connectivity with Super Mario 3D Land? But thats just my opinion...

2. concernedcamel Monday 1st Aug 2011 at 13:31

Hehe he said "Hodgepodge"

3. linkfinity Monday 1st Aug 2011 at 13:32

id like a new version of mario, we've had rpgs and 3d platformers, but how about a turn based war game like advanced wars. i'd like to see it done.

4. Super Andre Monday 1st Aug 2011 at 13:37

Got my magazine :D I think they should try something like a 3D co-op mario game where one player uses the Wii U remote and one person uses the tele screen.

5. Messi97 Monday 1st Aug 2011 at 13:47

Hey, Koizumi. Just give us Galaxy 3

6. NickallowBros Monday 1st Aug 2011 at 14:09

I agree with tohaker. A 64 style game; but with HD graphics (Obviously), more levels, a bigger hub world, online/local multiplayer, interesting use of the Wii U controller & maybe some connectivity with the 3DS.

Wow, that was actually quite a long list...

7. RTY1998 Monday 1st Aug 2011 at 14:09

Mario Kart! Mario Kart! Mario Kart!

8. Super Andre Monday 1st Aug 2011 at 14:21

Yeah Mario Kart.

9. RTY1998 Monday 1st Aug 2011 at 14:36

Yeah Mario Kart.

Go Mario Kart!! Whoop, whoop!

10. mckenzielad1297 Monday 1st Aug 2011 at 15:29

a new mario kart gta style game where you are mario and you drive around the mushrooom kingdom and help people by doing missions and when ever you do all the missions in an sre you move to the next area

11. n1nt2nd3 Monday 1st Aug 2011 at 15:29

If there is going to be a Mario game what's the new title going to be?

If he's going to make a traditional Mario sidescrolling game, will it be NSMBWU? Or ENSMB (Even Newer Super Mario Bros). Mario Kart woulod turn to MKWU. The problem with the Galaxy series on the Wii U is that with the new controller will change everything, and the it wouldn't really be the same. It would have to be a whole new series of Mario games, but what can you do once you have included space and the universe in a series, how can you expand? Time? Super Mario Time? That sounds weird, but then it would be so complicated it would be more like a Zelda game but with a Mario cover.

I think if it is another Galaxy, it has to be something completely :shock: :D and far better than the second. Personally I did't enjoy the second as much as the first. It had a smaller hub, even SM64 had a bigger one, ad also a level select the same as NSMBW, rubbish in a 3D Mario game. The music wasn't quite the same, and the storyline is the worst of any game I have ever played. I want a proper return of Rosalina!!!

If its a Mario Kart you could have the map on the controller's screen, clearing up the top screen, and you could (possibly, maybe as an option) activate items through the controller's screen by tapping on them. Tilt controls are obvious, but you could choose between analog stick or tilt on the same controller (I don't understand the people who use classic controller / gamecube controller on a game so obviously built for tilt controls.

But anyway those are my thoughts

12. RTY1998 Monday 1st Aug 2011 at 16:17

A sandbox Mario Kart would be a really great. However I think all I really want is a plot. Whoop! Mario Kart! Yeah! Yeah!

Got my magazine I think they should try something like a 3D co-op mario game where one player uses the Wii U remote and one person uses the tele screen.

I really think we deserve good co-op after the dissapointment of Galaxie's co-op. Maybe a battle mode, but no online. I got my issue to.

13. Waldy565 Monday 1st Aug 2011 at 16:45

sounds great, just recieved the mag about 2 hours ago, but havent read the previous one first! still, will wait and see what awe-inspiring ideas mr. miyamato has up his sleeves! by the way, nice tribute to the great director for some amazing games on the mario preview!

14. Jake 346 Monday 1st Aug 2011 at 17:24

Super Mario Universe!

15. funmaker11 Monday 1st Aug 2011 at 17:36

What Jake 346 said. :P

16. IPecksU Monday 1st Aug 2011 at 19:41

They could incorporate drawing for attacks and puzzles in paper mario, sort of suits the whole paper theme.

17. DarkSide84 Monday 1st Aug 2011 at 20:16

This guy should work on the 3DS- it needs some new ideas

18. Dave-O Monday 1st Aug 2011 at 23:24

It will be good to have a Mario game with a mario 64 style hub but bigger. It should also bring back the old enimies that were only used in mario world such as rex, chargin chuck and the sumo brother-it would be good to see them in a modern game. It should also use the gameplay style used in 3d land. Of course there should also be a new mario kart and I would like to see a new mario rpg on the big screen rather than a handheld. Those are three new mario games that could be possible.

19. tichierichie Tuesday 2nd Aug 2011 at 00:08

A sort of simpsons hit and run. Now that was a good game!

20. pikmin1003 Tuesday 2nd Aug 2011 at 00:13

Mario gta mushroom dealers and toadstools.

A new Mario game set in brooklin traverse the streets looking for marios stolen mushrooms and eat as many as you can to get back princess peach and defeat the evil kooper gangsters.

Use marios kart to speeed along the streets and get those mushrooms!!

Lol Mario gta would be really funny or Mario's mafia and luigi is his hitman....

Also shoot down goomba gangsters with marios new ak47 to stop the koopa kings rain of terror!!!!

21. DSVIP Tuesday 2nd Aug 2011 at 01:05

I do suppose a 3D mario is one of the few good games that the wii U control scheme is good for. Id be so surprised if the game ends up anywhere near as bad as the galaxy series.

22. allanironmaiden Tuesday 2nd Aug 2011 at 11:05

really want to see wario back as a badguy like in super mario land 2. he could even be teaming up with bowser or something. have the ultimate roster of badguys to avoid the repetitive boss battles we have been getting

23. TheMarioMan997 Tuesday 2nd Aug 2011 at 11:15

in my honest opinion, i think koizumi should consider creating a 3d remake of super Mario Bros., Super mario bros: the lost leves, Super Mario Bros. 2 Super Mario Bros. 3 and world. Also a new Super mario sunshine that features luigi as a playable character and yoshi to ride. honestly super mario sunshine was my favourite 3d mario game

24. bobbyy29 Tuesday 2nd Aug 2011 at 11:16

Get. Out. NOW! -_-

25. RTY1998 Tuesday 2nd Aug 2011 at 15:32

I surpose that it'll be a million times better than 97%, hmm?

26. Samster64 Tuesday 2nd Aug 2011 at 21:34

1 thing's for sure, I do NOT want another galaxy, that formula has tired itself out. What Nintendo are trying at the moment, with Super Mario 3D Land is going back to the basics, so what they need to do now is come up with an entirely new idea to contrast SM3DL.

27. Mario1812 Wednesday 3rd Aug 2011 at 08:17

I think that they should have a mix of New Super Mario Bros.Wii with Mario Kart and Galaxy and SMB3... I know it's a lot but hear me out. Imagine you could have a level in New Super Mario Galaxy Kart 3.Wii U. Where once you've rode The Kart around Rainbow Road and then you fly off the side then you find the tanooki suit hidden in the stars you collect it and then you head off to the Mushroom Kingdom to find that Princess Peaches Castle has been changed into Bowsers Ship...... The game consists you of powering up and getting enough abilities and strength to finally explore the ship and save Princess Peach......

28. RTY1998 Wednesday 3rd Aug 2011 at 09:05

I want this game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

29. ShrekGuy Monday 8th Aug 2011 at 11:50

I hope the tech demo at E3 doesn't evolve into a proper game, it'll be to similar to New Super Mario Bros. Wii.