Miyamoto: Star Fox will be reborn if people buy 3DS remake

Future of series depends on success of Star Fox 64 3D

Shigeru Miyamoto has admitted that he needs first-time players to pick up Star Fox 64 3D in order for the series to be reborn.

Loading video...

During a revealing Iwata Asks discussion, Miyamoto said: "I told Dylan-san (Dylan Cuthbert, Star Fox co-creator) that if this game wasn't interesting, I couldn't make any more Star Fox games! I said, "If first-time players like this game, Star Fox will be reborn!" That's how much I'm counting on this one game!

"So if there's anyone out there who wants to look at the future, please play this! (laughs)"

There hasn't been a brand new Star Fox game since Star Fox Command was released for DS in 2007. It seems that if you want any more Star Fox games to be released in the future, Star Fox 64 3D needs to be a success.

Are you going to buy Star Fox 64 when it's released next month? Read the new issue of Official Nintendo Magazine to find out if you should.

Comments

1. PeaceGirl Wednesday 3rd Aug 2011 at 12:07

I'm definitley getting it. I only recently got Star Fox Command. I loved it.

2. ledreppe Wednesday 3rd Aug 2011 at 12:09

Like I said in the other article, I'll be getting this next month. There, I've done my bit for the future of StarFox, I'd be horrified if this franchise came to an end, as I remember playing the SNES original for hours and hours at a time.

3. shadow663 Wednesday 3rd Aug 2011 at 12:16

I'd be a new player for Star fox 64. PLayed Command and it was cool and have high hopes for this so don't let the series die out

4. Steam n Dragon Wednesday 3rd Aug 2011 at 12:19

When I pick up my 3ds I'll be definitely picking this up. Glad to see Nintendo are looking to bring StarFox to it's rightful glory.

5. pokemaster Wednesday 3rd Aug 2011 at 12:30

Definitely getting this. Command was okay, but this the real deal. Hopefully we will see a new star fox eventually. A Wii U one would be great.

6. Waldy565 Wednesday 3rd Aug 2011 at 12:33

havent played a starfox but it sounds quite good and was reading up on a few months back, so will have to watch videos, trailers, reviews etc and see what i think

7. imbusydoctorwho Wednesday 3rd Aug 2011 at 12:46

The only Star Fox game I've played is Command on the DS and while not being brilliant it was a solid game with great graphics and brilliant gameplay,but I didn't really like the strategy like gameplay for the maps and the online multi-player is incredibly empty.
    I will buy the (hopefully) it looks brilliant and full of action,should be a great hi score chaser with a lot of replay value and the ability to play multi-player all by my lonesome sounds amazing.

8. Super Andre Wednesday 3rd Aug 2011 at 12:47

People BUY! this game i'm 94% sure you will love it, save up for it you wont be sorry it's full of action.

9. metalgario Wednesday 3rd Aug 2011 at 12:53

I will buy it but only because it looks good witht he revamped graphics. Not bothered that its in 3D and think ONM might of been generous with 94%. Lets hope this is enough to spawn a true sequel, or maybe even a prequel!

10. Super Andre Wednesday 3rd Aug 2011 at 12:55

Trust me Starfox 64 3D is alot of miles better than Star Fox Command Buy the son of a gun.

11. MistaChristopher Wednesday 3rd Aug 2011 at 13:02

This will be my new favourite game evar!
    I'll buy 10 copies :lol:

12. Super Andre Wednesday 3rd Aug 2011 at 13:08

You younger Gamers who weren't brought up on starfox 64 or Lylat Wars should consider buying it, it's one of my favourite games of all time. Think about it because you've most likely played SSBB and played as Fox he's a Nintendo legend, if you buy Starfox 64 3D you will be apart of Nintendo History, so buy it. :)

13. Darkxaur Wednesday 3rd Aug 2011 at 14:13

So he's essentially ransoming us to get SF643D or else he'll keep spamming Mario/Zelda games? :|

14. CyberGW Wednesday 3rd Aug 2011 at 14:45

Everyone buy Starfox 64 3D!
    Even if you don't have a 3DS, just buy it so we get more!!!

15. MrFamicom Wednesday 3rd Aug 2011 at 14:58

I just bought starfox for my super famicom, does that count mr miyamoto?

16. FamilyGAMEGuy8 Wednesday 3rd Aug 2011 at 15:29

Nintendo: "Hey Kids! Buy our game or you'll never see Star Fox again! MWHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!"

Still gonna go get it though.

17. bigterence Wednesday 3rd Aug 2011 at 15:57

A definite YES!!..the only problem will be finding the cash for the brilliant 3ds line-up.

18. Dave-O Wednesday 3rd Aug 2011 at 16:13

This game is a must have for me. If more star fox games were made, they need to be a similar style to this game and not like the rubbish on gamecube. That is prbably where star fox started sinking.

19. kirby711 Wednesday 3rd Aug 2011 at 16:57

I am looking very likely to get it. I don't want it to 'die', despite the series being new to me.

20. dizzy boy Wednesday 3rd Aug 2011 at 17:41

this is beyond the joke with nintendo. forcing people to buy a port of an old game before considering to make a new one.
    it will probably sell well to people new to the franchise, but anybody with an N64 or the wii VC version are less likely to buy another copy.
    don`t be suprised if nintendo say starfox 64 didn`t hit predicted sales figures.

21. Mahzes Wednesday 3rd Aug 2011 at 17:58

So basically Miyamoto's blackmailing everyone into buying StarFox 64 3D unless they want the franchise to die? :lol:

In all seriousness though, I was going to pick this up as soon as it was announced.

22. AaronMclaren Wednesday 3rd Aug 2011 at 18:16

I'm sorry Miyamoto, I'm not sure if I'll be buying... I bought OoT 3D as I never finished it when I was younger on the N64, but I played Lylat Wars to death and then bought it on WiiWare, can I really justify spending Ł30 on this just for the updated graphics, 3D & multiplayer? I'm struggling :?

23. tomutwit Wednesday 3rd Aug 2011 at 18:25

LET IT DIE!!! I for one will hopefully be buying bit Trip SAGA instead as well as Xenoblade, whilst playing Minecraft and waiting for SM3DL, MK7, etc!

24. Amelie Poulain Wednesday 3rd Aug 2011 at 18:29

Consumer blackmail then? That's nasty. If Miyamoto is being serious then I might actually go out of my way NOT to buy it.

25. Devilmancheese Wednesday 3rd Aug 2011 at 20:08

I don't want Fox McCloud to die!!!! I do not know whether I will buy it though, but I want Pepper to say "Do a barrell roll" and see Slippy crash into a planet again! TOO MUCH TO THINK ABOUT

26. Cyberguy Wednesday 3rd Aug 2011 at 20:17

I want to get this as my first StarFox game, but its release date is 3 days after my brother's birthday, and he has a 3DS but doesn't care about this game. I may have to wait until next month, but if Kirby Wii is out in October, I'm sold with that.

27. Blue Toad Wednesday 3rd Aug 2011 at 20:20

With all due respect Mr Miyamoto, if you want Star Fox to be reborn, work on a brand new game that EMPLOYS the Lylat Wars mechanics instead of just remaking it. There's a reason many consider it to be the pinnacle of the Star Fox series. And if you must hand it out to a 3rd party company, give it to Retro Studios or Treasure or Platinum Games. Right now there just isn't enough added to convince me to get this.

28. legendwork Thursday 4th Aug 2011 at 09:17

Well you should of included online dog fights ..... or is that too much hard work as it wasn't on the original....hummm lazy port............. no i will not buy it, i brought the original (and still have it). To turn turn around and make a comment like that is PR blackmail .... shame on you Miyamofo!!

29. allanironmaiden Thursday 4th Aug 2011 at 10:37

it was always going to be a definite purchase for me anyways. hopefully by future games they'll carry on the storyline from starfox 64 and ignore whatever game after it.....either that continue story wise from after assault.....the million and one stupid endings in command destroyed the series for me in terms of story and being able to continue in any feasable and logical manner

30. ShadowReaperX07 Monday 22nd Aug 2011 at 19:17

This is a nice ultimatum. Buy a game we have already released for you to buy on virtual console, or the series dies.
    So you are effectivly black mailing us? What sort of business are you running here? Have you forgotten about the long forgotten fans of the smaller nintendo names. Its taken you years to see sequels of games years old. Pikmin 3 will come out around 8 years after its prequel. Last Starfox on a home console. 2004. Luigi's mansion. 2002. Need i name more relics?
    Has nintendo become blind by the money making abilties of larger gaming names like mario, Zelda and Metroid? I've seen at least 3 games from each series released since 2004. I haven't seen many of the smaller names like the 2 mentioned release even 1. Because you all get sidetracked on other games to work on. No less, bigger games, to work on.

I will buy this, but i would buy it whether you threatened in a joking or non-joking way to get rid of the series. I played 64 originally and loved it. I didn't pick it up on VC because i still have the N64 in my loft somewhere with this game.

I hope the starfox series continues. But if it goes down. Do not blame us for your bad sales nintendo. The only one's that are to blame are yourselves.