Wii U price and release date to be announced next year

Iwata confirms you'll have to wait until 2012 to find out more

Satoru Iwata has told investors that Nintendo will wait until next year to reveal the price and release date for Wii U.

Loading video...

Iwata was responding to a question regarding the influence of the 3DS price-cut on Wii U when he said: "Since the Wii U we showed you at the E3 show in June was still in the development phase without very specific proposals on the software titles, we are going to announce the release date and the price next year when we are able to explain the specific proposals."

Earlier, he voiced his concern that people may expect an early Wii U price-cut following the news that the price of 3DS is to be slashed.

"Our decision of the price markdown this time has a side effect that, at the launch of the Wii U, people may feel that the price might drop in the near future if they wait," said Nintendo's President.

"Nevertheless, we have decided to cut down the price of the Nintendo 3DS as we consider it as a necessary decision now. What we will be able to do to recover the consumers' trust before the launch of the Wii U is very important to us."

When do you think Wii U should be released and how much would you be prepared to pay for it?

Comments

1. 08boatfg Wednesday 3rd Aug 2011 at 13:48

Although I would like it to be released around March like the 3DS was, I think it would be a good decision made by Nintendo if they release it around November (around Christmas), as that tends to be the time when most people buy games consoles. I think that would mean a much more successful launch than that of the 3DS.

As of the price, I think that around £250 is reasonable.

2. Lin1876 Wednesday 3rd Aug 2011 at 13:49

I think the Wii U should be released once there is a steady steam of games ready for it, as a better line-up would have prevented the 3DS from suffering like it has.

Hopefully the price will be sensible, but so long as the system appears to be good value then people will buy it. Again, this hurt the 3DS.

3. TechnoWolf Wednesday 3rd Aug 2011 at 13:51

I wonder if they have the hardware finalised yet?

4. Mighty Shouter Wednesday 3rd Aug 2011 at 13:53

I would like it to be released around Easter/early Summer time. I wouldn't expect to pay anything over £250 for it.

5. imbusydoctorwho Wednesday 3rd Aug 2011 at 14:00

I would like a November/December release and a price between £200-£250.

6. retrotoad Wednesday 3rd Aug 2011 at 14:02

This. I hope they don't go beyond £250, also early 2012 release, please!

7. JamieRIOT Wednesday 3rd Aug 2011 at 14:15

I think they shouldn't rush the release like they did for the 3DS. If they allow time for developers to make some cracking games, it would make the launch a lot more successful than the 3DS' was.
    As for price, i think everyone is expecting around £250 for the console and a controller. Seeing as the 3DS was overpriced to begin with (In other peoples eyes. I was happy to purchase one for that), i don't think Nintendo would make the same mistake in fear of it flopping. The Wii launched for £180 about 6 years ago, so £250 would make sense for the Wii U in today's market.

8. NINTENDOPOKEMON Wednesday 3rd Aug 2011 at 14:17

Beond £250 and i wont be getting it, £200 is a nice price though :)

9. scouserfuller9 Wednesday 3rd Aug 2011 at 14:19

Whenever they have a couple of decent games to be released with it. Nintendo made some big mistakes with the 3DS. The hardcore gamers were put off with its lack of decent games. With Zelda: OOT being re made we're really still waiting for one. As for the casual gamers, they have seen it more as a DSi with 3D graphics as not enough of its new features have been shown.

Think the Wii U will be with us Q4 2012. As for the price I'd say approx £250. All depends on the price of the PS3 and XBOX 360. I'm sure the mistake Nintendo have made with the 3DS will have them sorted. Need something like a Super Mario title or even a free game with the console containing various Mario games from the past. The plumber plays a huge part with Nintendo and that's including the casual gamers!

10. retrotoad Wednesday 3rd Aug 2011 at 14:20

I think they shouldn't rush the release like they did for the 3DS

They didn't rush it, at all. The release of the 3DS was planned for October 2010. Nintendo called it off because they wanted to make more units. They pushed it back 6 months.

11. Hylian_Grouch Wednesday 3rd Aug 2011 at 14:28

i wont pay more than 250 pounds for it. it must release with launch titles that people want. pikmin three and a game with the word mario in the title are a must. i wont be getting it until a major first party release comes along. pilotwings was ok but i didnt buy steel diver...

12. golden toad Wednesday 3rd Aug 2011 at 14:34

I think that it should be around the same price as the 3DS at the original launch price (£220) or maybe a little more than that, otherwise I won't buy it. I just don't have the money...

13. barrybarryk Wednesday 3rd Aug 2011 at 14:48

I think next August/September will be the best time for launch, by then we should have alot more details on how Nintendos online system is shaping up with Paid for DLC having already been introduced for 3DS games by then and hopefully a few value added features for the Wii U like a skype style VOIP client, decent web browser and UPnP media playback will be shown. As for price, I'd pay up to £300 at launch but Nintendo will probably put it around £250 in the UK.

14. CyberGW Wednesday 3rd Aug 2011 at 14:49

I'm guessing late 2012 and around £200
    We could do another E3 Bingo type thing, but with Wii U Release Date, Prices and Launch Titles that obviously AREN'T confirmed yet!

15. ledreppe Wednesday 3rd Aug 2011 at 14:52

Like most others, I'd be prepared to pay £250 for it, but no more. I expect it to be released by next spring/early summer.

16. MrFamicom Wednesday 3rd Aug 2011 at 14:55

199.99 199.99 199.99 199.99 199.99

17. reeesy Wednesday 3rd Aug 2011 at 15:16

I'd like to see it under £250. But i would probably pay up to £300 if i really had to.

18. Castle Crashing Wednesday 3rd Aug 2011 at 15:19

£200 - £250 seems to be the sweet spot, anything higher would really depend on how must-have it is closer to release. As for when it should be released, how long until the games are finished? Seriously, this needs some killer apps, games that will make my wallet cry. Preferably a first party launch game, I really miss the days when Mario complemented the launch of a new console.

19. kirby711 Wednesday 3rd Aug 2011 at 16:27

A Christmas 2012 release would be very good in my opinion.

20. tomutwit Wednesday 3rd Aug 2011 at 18:23

Oh gad my dad just bout went for the 3DS at 187, he'll never get me a wii u for 250.... might have to hold out on it for a year or so!

21. lrwr14 Wednesday 3rd Aug 2011 at 18:24

Lets hope they set a price and not let the retailers scam us.

22. evanid Wednesday 3rd Aug 2011 at 20:23

I think they should release it 2013 and just keep working on making it better.

The next gen of ps360 consoles are rumored to come out around 2014 so in less Nintendo are looking on improving when 2014 comes. They will suffer.

23. Fishman92 Wednesday 3rd Aug 2011 at 22:19

I'd like it dead on £200. Maybe a penny less. But they need a good launch line up so it doesn't fall like the 3ds did. They need something to sell it with. And I'd also like them to redesign the console. They need to move away from the wii look, I think. A name change, and a console redesign so it sets it apart. Like how different other Nintendo consoles have been, eg. Gamecube to N64, GC to wii, snes to n64, snes to nes etc.

24. abovethewell Thursday 4th Aug 2011 at 08:11

I want it to be £200. It will be more worth it than 3DS, as they won't make a new one in 2 years

25. kie_t Thursday 4th Aug 2011 at 12:12

Had it been a regular console and joypad/remote I'd say £200, but with the touchscreen controller £250 seems about right. Maybe a redesign to make it look a little less plasticky would make give it a more premium look so people would be happy to hand over more cash.

26. ShrekGuy Monday 8th Aug 2011 at 11:20

I think they should reconsider the Wii U's name. Casual gamers are going to mistake it for another incarnation of the Wii and I think this is what happened with the 3DS. I also hope that the controller doesn't make it to pricey. I definetely think it needs to launch with some good games this time which was another mistake with the 3DS. Perhaps a Pokemon Snap sequel would be good. You could use the Wii U controller as a camera and it would definetely make people want to buy it.