3DS Ambassador game features detailed

Find out how the NES and GBA games will work

Nintendo Of Europe has listed the features of the upcoming NES and GBA Virtual Console games that will be given free to 3DS Ambassadors. Have a seat, this is a lengthy one.

As you may already know, the ten NES games will become available to Ambassadors from 1 September. These will be the "priority delivery" versions of the games, and will include the following features:

- A basic electronic manual giving only the controls

- Alternating multiplayer (taking turns) on one system in games that support it, like Super Mario Bros.

- VC Suspend function (saves the game where you left off when you press the Home button, like on the Wii)

At a later date, these ten games will then become available on the eShop as official releases. These will have more features, but Ambassadors will be able to update from the priority version of each game to the official version for free. Here's a list of the features added to the official releases:

- A full electronic manual detailing all gameplay features and modes

- Simultaneous multiplayer on multiple systems in games that support it (like Ice Climbers)

- Restore Point function (as used in Game Boy VC games just now, it lets you create a save point as you play the game and come back to it if you mess up)

As for the ten Game Boy Advance games, they'll be available later on in the year and will only be available to Ambassadors. They won't have many of the features of official Virtual Console releases. Here's what they'll have:

- A full electronic manual

- No VC Suspend or Restore Point functionality, though any game with a game save feature will work as normal

- If you close your 3DS it won't go into Sleep mode.

In short, they'll play like GBA games do on the DS Lite.

Interestingly, Nintendo is also providing a firmware update later in the year which allows you to transfer both the NES and GBA games to a different 3DS system, much like the DSi to 3DS software transfer method.

This means if your friend bought a 3DS after the Ambassador programme ended, you could in theory transfer your GBA games to their system so they could play them. It's probable that they'll be removed from your system in the process, though.

So there you have it, everything you need to know so far. We'll give you more info when the other ten mystery games are 100% confirmed.

Comments

1. GuitarHero Friday 12th Aug 2011 at 10:58

Sounds good so far, need to see more info though.

2. King Seda Friday 12th Aug 2011 at 11:00

Will they have a 3D option?

3. olrodlegacy Friday 12th Aug 2011 at 11:00

Sounds decent enough, but is it worth the £120 extra I paid for my 3DS? Not sure.

Not sure why closing the console when playing a GBA game won't activate sleep mode, pretty strange that.

4. GuitarHero Friday 12th Aug 2011 at 11:01

Will they have a 3D option?

I doubt it, as all the VC games on 3DS don't have a 3D option. Except when you put the GAmeboy border on, but that's not proper 3D.

5. Rockerdude Friday 12th Aug 2011 at 11:03

after months and months of cutting grass and saving money yesterday i asked my mam to buy me a 3DS. unfortunatly she responded to my text by telling me that she didnt have enough money with her so she couldnt buy it . im getting one today and i was just wondering if there was any way to check if had been connected if i bought a pre owned one.

6. eternalmidnight Friday 12th Aug 2011 at 11:03

So is it possible to jump to the home menu and use the internet, game notes or whatever and then continue playing the GBA game from the same point? From what I understand it doesn't sound like you can do that. A little bit of clarification (if possible) on that and everything's hunky dory :)

7. GuitarHero Friday 12th Aug 2011 at 11:05

No you wouldn't be able to do that.

And Rockerdude, there's no way to check so you might have connected or you might not have. The chances are that it has.

8. Switzerninmaster Friday 12th Aug 2011 at 11:06

Still doesn't make me feel any better for paying a load more for my 3DS

9. GuitarHero Friday 12th Aug 2011 at 11:08

Still doesn't make me feel any better for paying a load more for my 3DS

Then send an email to Nintendo to complain.

10. Tamzily01 Friday 12th Aug 2011 at 11:13

Do you have to register for these via Club Nintendo, or do you just get them by downloading something from the eShop?

11. Joe_Crow Friday 12th Aug 2011 at 11:18

Still doesn't make me feel any better for paying a load more for my 3DS

If you bought the 3DS for full price, that means you were happy to pay that much for it and thought it was worth it. Price drops are inevitable, the fact that it came earlier than usual doesn't really make a difference. We payed the extra to have it sooner, if I didn't think it was worth that price I wouldn't have bought it.

12. GuitarHero Friday 12th Aug 2011 at 11:20

You just have to visit the eShop.

13. Crozzly123 Friday 12th Aug 2011 at 11:32

Ten VC NES games worth maybe £4-6 each.

Ten VC GBA games worth maybe £4-6 each. (although theyre exclusive to Ambassadors)

Thats a maximum estimated £120 or more worth of free content depending on how much they actually charge for official release games.

I think that more than makes up for the price gap. Thanks Nintendo!

We have to appreciate what theyre doing here theyre offering 20 games to original customers because of a massive price drop to boost sales. Yet PS3 offered two games and a limited subscription to theyre online service for a very serious breach of security that nearly resulted in the loss of tens of thousands of pounds to theyre customers. Sony could have done a lot more to satisfy and they didnt. Nintendo are themselves Ambassadors of Gaming and Gratitude to their followers. Gotta love that! xP

14. rdvid Friday 12th Aug 2011 at 12:57

Thanks for explaining this! :mrgreen:

15. giygas27 Friday 12th Aug 2011 at 15:04

ONM, you missed the info that the gba games will not have multiplayer functions, so if, say, pokemon was a free game you wouldn't be able to trade.
    http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/sys ... 44250.html

16. MrChewtoy Friday 12th Aug 2011 at 15:31

Saw this yesterday on GoNintendo, and I'm hoping the manuals are as close to the originals as possible, as that was my main bugbear with the Virtual Console. There was no background story or enemy description or anything, which was a shame.

17. tomutwit Friday 12th Aug 2011 at 16:29

In the future, I will not buy consoles at launch without decent launch games. I'm sorry, but I am not fond of these freebies.

18. GuitarHero Friday 12th Aug 2011 at 16:55

Complain to Nintendo then, and email them.

19. imbusydoctorwho Friday 12th Aug 2011 at 20:51

Sounds great,can't wait to get them.

20. shane102009 Saturday 13th Aug 2011 at 09:58

Pokemon emerald please <3. I havn't even played a Pokemon game boy game except mystery dungeon.I have all the ds releases and put hundreds of hours in them all.please let me do the same to a game boy title.

21. Pichu10585 Saturday 13th Aug 2011 at 16:56

You must be the only person then.

22. Sex Bob-omb Saturday 13th Aug 2011 at 17:18

I think getting my 3ds for £115 is better than getting games i already own for free