New-look Wii console coming before Christmas

Nintendo announce streamlined white Wii

A new streamlined Wii console will be released in the UK before Christmas.

The Wii will be released as part of a new value bundle which comes with Wii Party and Wii Sports.

According to Nintendo, the console is a streamlined white Wii with a slightly altered configuration, which is designed to sit horizontally rather than vertically.

However, unlike the current Wii, it will no longer play GameCube games and isn't compatible with the controllers.

In addition to the white Wii console and games, the bundle includes a Wii Remote Plus controller and Nunchuk.

Nintendo has also revealed that a number of other value Wii bundles will be announced this autumn.

We hope to have a picture of this new streamlined Wii very soon.

In other budget news, Nintendo has announced that Super Mario Galaxy and The Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess will join the Nintendo Selects range in September.

Comments

1. pokemaster Wednesday 17th Aug 2011 at 07:06

Will be interested in seeing what it looks like, but wont be getting one as my normal Wii is fine.

2. SSBBmegamaster Wednesday 17th Aug 2011 at 07:18

Awesome! Won't be getting one in anticipation of wii u, but i can't wait to see how damn awesome its gonna look.

3. emperor ing Wednesday 17th Aug 2011 at 07:33

This is very surprising, and a move that Nintendo thinks will boost sales up until the Wii U launch. Seems bizarre to release a 'slim' version now at the end of its life.

4. bobbyy29 Wednesday 17th Aug 2011 at 07:37

It's just more money for them in these bad times. I PROMISE that there will be a few idiots who upgrade from a Wii to a Wii slim (not me or anything...) :)

5. ChipsNGravy Wednesday 17th Aug 2011 at 08:24

I think it's a great idea. It worked for Sony with the PS the PS2 and more recently the PS3. But the DS Lite turned out to be the greatest example. It should give the aging Wii a shot in the arm. Cooler, sleeker, it's already cheaper. Give me a choice of colours and I may be interested... Plus it'll be worth more when I trade it for my new Wii U.

6. abovethewell Wednesday 17th Aug 2011 at 08:37

Yay! My wiis got a broken lens reader, so this will put me on till the wiiu, and increase trade in value!!!

7. Eragon Firesword Wednesday 17th Aug 2011 at 08:42

The first thing that comes to mind: is there really a point? The new generation of the Nintendo home console will be supposedly released less than a year into the future. Surely designing and manufacturing a lighter version of the existing console now will only waste time and lose more profit than could be gained?

Next, why do we really need it? A regular Wii console does exactly the same jobs as a lighter version would do. I could understand the appeal were it a handheld in question, due to it being easier to carry around and lighter to hold, but a home console simply sits in one place. What would the aim be in actually making it lighter in the first place?

Finally, it seems a bit cynical. I understand full and well that the above two questions culd be answered with one word: "fasion". It might be fashionable to have a sleeker-loking console (as if the Wii wasn't fashionable and sleek to begin with). Therefore, pulling out a swanky new design this close to a console upgrade seems exploitative of those less careful with their purse strings.

Just a few things to consider.

8. samus_killer Wednesday 17th Aug 2011 at 08:50

I'm always interested in the system designs, especially from Nintendo, but I really doubt I'll bother with this one.

The fact that every Wii console is it's own unique box that you can't transfer downloaded games onto other systems. It works with the 360/PS3 slim,, but the Wii doesn't need to be smaller anyway. Even if Nintendo figure a way around the data transfer problem, it'll probably be a really annoying way of doing it, like the DSi to 3DS.

Plus, Nintendo systems rarely screw up and my Wii works just as well (if not better) than when I bought it nearly 5 years ago.

9. GiarcYekrub Wednesday 17th Aug 2011 at 08:57

My Launch Gamecube is faling so this maybe the thing I need since Ninty are being cheapskates with the Wii U

10. OracleOfPokemon Wednesday 17th Aug 2011 at 09:10

If you read the article on Nintendo uk, it says it's no longer compatible with gamecube games or accessories including controllers... :cry:

11. mushroomchow Wednesday 17th Aug 2011 at 09:49

Don't really see the point, the Wii is sleek enough and nearing the end of it's lifespan. And I only really use it at the minute to play cube animal crossing! :|

12. Cinaclov Wednesday 17th Aug 2011 at 09:55

Fantastic! I was going to have to re-buy a Wii for Uni anyway in order to play Skyward Sword and my GC games, now the old Wii's will be even cheaper. Just what I needed :wink:

13. choclate-milk Wednesday 17th Aug 2011 at 09:56

Totally called it.

Also:

Nope.avi

14. Pichu10585 Wednesday 17th Aug 2011 at 09:56

I wouldn't get one since I wouldn't be able to bear not using the gc controller for brawl.

15. imbusydoctorwho Wednesday 17th Aug 2011 at 09:58

What a great way to milk the Wii before it kicks the hay.

16. PeterR Wednesday 17th Aug 2011 at 10:14

wont be getting it as my wii is fine, but hoping they do bring out a way to transfer games because of this so i can transfer data from my broken wii to my red one.

17. Snizzbut Wednesday 17th Aug 2011 at 10:57

It says it on this article if youd bothered to read it properly

18. ZodiacXYZ Wednesday 17th Aug 2011 at 11:00

Hmm, what's the point? I liked the Wii U design purely since it's made to lie flat, since I lay my Wii down anyway to stop it toppling over...but releasing a Wii in Wii U clothing with removed Gamecube functionality? How lame. Are people even going to be able to tell the difference when the Wii U comes out. And surely whoever doesn't have a Wii by now aren't going to get it anytime soon.

EDIT:

All the Wii U news continually said something to the effect of "and fully functional with all Wii accessories", which cleverly avoids including gamecube functionality. I'm thinking they're phasing out gamecube support, starting with this.

...It worked for Sony with the PS the PS2 and more recently the PS3.

To the best of my memory other consoles also had other incentives like improved memory and graphical capabilities as well as a new design. We're not even getting a memory upgrade as far as it seems.

19. KThxsBy Wednesday 17th Aug 2011 at 11:33

only idiots will buy this..

im guessing this console will be bundled with zumba fitness :mrgreen:

20. Waldy565 Wednesday 17th Aug 2011 at 11:40

wow! wii u so close, why bother? but saying wow cuz it a good bundle, very good!

21. FamilyGAMEGuy8 Wednesday 17th Aug 2011 at 11:56

Buy the new improved Nintendo Wii. Just in time for Zelda, Mario Party, Kirby and...that's it. Want Smash Bros and Mario Galaxy? Well you missed it. Buy the Wii U!

22. Chris95 Wednesday 17th Aug 2011 at 11:58

This was mentioned on the news. XD

23. Captain Kuchiki Wednesday 17th Aug 2011 at 12:13

May I ask - why? The Wii already got a massive price cut earlier this year.

Oh wait, because Sony announced they're releasing a cut-down version of the PSP.

24. ledreppe Wednesday 17th Aug 2011 at 13:29

Don't be ridiculous, how can your Wii be working better than 5 years ago?!

25. choclate-milk Wednesday 17th Aug 2011 at 14:18

May I ask - why? The Wii already got a massive price cut earlier this year.

I wasn't aware of the announcement of a new PSP, so I looked it up.

Since when did 'revision' mean 'throw away all the decent features'?!

26. Redfish20 Wednesday 17th Aug 2011 at 15:34

Don't be ridiculous, how can your Wii be working better than 5 years ago?!

When I got my Wii 5 years ago it was version 1. Now thanks to Ninty's unrelenting stream of upgrades it is now version 2.something E. Granted that mainly means better parental controls but it also now has a cool clock on the menu.

I've also put F-Zero X on it. In my opinion a Wii with F-Zero X is better than one without.

27. Samster296 Wednesday 17th Aug 2011 at 20:22

The first view looks like a Wii, but i will be looking forward to the new games like the new Zelda HD. And i have also heard that the Wii-U is going to be even more powerful than the Xbox 360 and PS3. Nice one Nintendo, I can't wait to see how good the games will be now.

28. zapper01 Saturday 20th Aug 2011 at 15:16

This is stupid...
    It's the same as the old one but worse and more expensive (probably)

29. spudrocket Tuesday 23rd Aug 2011 at 13:18

My honest opinion? its a waste of time. Removing backwards compatibility does ntot make a better console, and the point of making it sit on its side? what is it? Its perfectly fins standing vertically. Nintendo are wasting there time with this one, as there seems to be nothing new to it? Its pointless.

30. zapper01 Tuesday 23rd Aug 2011 at 15:06

I'll be disappointed if even a single person buys this.

31. Greenspark Tuesday 23rd Aug 2011 at 20:36

This is actually quite smart of nintendo,they have a fully
    new consol (wii u) coming up next year but they still have
    spare parts from the wiis left over so they're trying
    to get rid of some of these parts while making a small
    profit.Its a bit like the dsi xl i think,a slight variation
    of a consol near the end of its life to make a bit more profit
    from a target market(in this case families,with the dsi xl it was old people who
    couldn't see the small screen).Nintendo is a business,at the end
    its all about the year end profits and after the 3ds lower profits then
    expected its a last ditch effort to save the balance sheets.