More 3DS Ambassador games confirmed

Complete NES line-up revealed

Nintendo Japan have confirmed the complete line-up of NES games that early 3DS adopters will be able to download for free as part of the 3DS Ambassador Program.

We already knew that Super Mario Bros, Donkey Kong Jr, Balloon Fight, Ice Climber and The Legend Of Zelda will be available to download between 1 September and the end of the year and now Nintendo Japan has announced the remaining five.

Here's the complete list of NES games that will be released in Japan as part of the Ambassador Program. The complete list has yet to be confirmed for the UK.

Super Mario Bros.

Donkey Kong Jr

Balloon Fight

Ice Climber

The Legend Of Zelda

Wrecking Crew

Mario Open Golf

Yoshi's Egg

Metroid

Zelda II: The Adventure Of Link

So the big news is that those who bought the 3DS before the price cut will be able to download the second Legend Of Zelda adventure and the original Metroid game which was released 25 years ago this month.

Comments

1. retrotoad Tuesday 30th Aug 2011 at 10:33

Awesome, even more classics. Good choice, Nintendo!

2. KKNinty347 Tuesday 30th Aug 2011 at 10:34

Metroid... YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! All Nintendo need to do is release Zero Mission on the GBA line up and that would be amazing!

3. CyberGW Tuesday 30th Aug 2011 at 10:37

YES! More Zelda! Thanks so much Nintendo!
    Even though it means it's closer to going back to school after the holidays, I just with it would hurry up and be Thursday!
    Zelda and Zelda II! Yipee! :D

4. Dan-the-Wii-man Tuesday 30th Aug 2011 at 10:37

Metroid... YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Violet Tuesday 30th Aug 2011 at 10:38

I'm actually more excited about the NES titles I haven't played, like Golf and Yoshi, even though I know they won't hold a candle to Zelda II (which I shall play again, for sure).

6. darkandy666 Tuesday 30th Aug 2011 at 10:39

sweet hope metroid is out on thursday!!

7. tohaker Tuesday 30th Aug 2011 at 10:43

Ahh, the tensions finally over. just waiting for the GBA games and we will be set for at least a year. Personally, I would have preferred Tetris instead of Zelda II, as my one aint gonna last much longer, my NES is on its last legs :( . Still a great line up!! Come on 1st Sept!!!

8. JackKuchiki Tuesday 30th Aug 2011 at 10:44

All these are games I've never played... (I know, I'm deprived!!) So this shall be a good lesson in Nintendo history :P

9. remagpie93 Tuesday 30th Aug 2011 at 10:44

Really pleased with the choices except for the lack of Kid Icarus... maybe they're saving it for closer to Uprisings launch??

10. E3rob Tuesday 30th Aug 2011 at 10:48

Metroid looks a bit boring, but at least I'll be able to play along with NintendoCapriSun's current LP :3 So happy :D

11. mr mario Tuesday 30th Aug 2011 at 10:49

Great list of games there, looking forward to playing Zelda 2 for the first time.

12. Deep4t Tuesday 30th Aug 2011 at 10:51

shoulda released zero mission which has the original metroid on it

13. JamieRIOT Tuesday 30th Aug 2011 at 11:01

Fantastic, more classics! I would have liked Kid Icarus to coincide with the run up to the release of Uprising, but maybe it will be in the Europe line-up? Very happy with these anyway.

14. reeesy Tuesday 30th Aug 2011 at 11:08

Great to see a strong line up! Looks like there is something for everyone.

15. Minja Tuesday 30th Aug 2011 at 11:16

With the exception of Wrecking Crew, it looks pretty damn good.

16. thelinkmaster91 Tuesday 30th Aug 2011 at 11:25

very good list Indeed, although it means I will the own Zelda 1 and 2 4 times over but never mind It will be great to play them again.

And there are some games that I will be playing for the first time (wrecking crew, Yoshi's egg, golf) so I'm excited to say the least. Bring on September 1st!!!

17. Buffalo_K Tuesday 30th Aug 2011 at 11:26

I've already downloaded Mario Bros., Matroid, Ice Climbers and The Legend of Zelda off Wii VC, but oh well, they're free!

18. Xikelle Tuesday 30th Aug 2011 at 11:26

I'm now feeling definitely less surprised at how some are calling this the year of Zelda. I think within this year and possibly the beginning of next year depending on how quick I am, I'll have played more Zelda and Metroid games in the one year than in all previous years put together. It's brilliant! It'll be interesting to see all the others too of course.

19. ledreppe Tuesday 30th Aug 2011 at 11:29

Not that excited about it, will look forward to the GBA line-up instead.

20. tomutwit Tuesday 30th Aug 2011 at 12:10

What on Earth is Yoshi's Egg? I thought Yoshi was opnly first iontroduced with Super Mario World on SNES in 1992 or something, so how come Nintendo made NES games when the SNES was already out?

21. corbandioxide8 Tuesday 30th Aug 2011 at 12:23

I hope the metriod cheat will be there... and maybe they will widen the screens instead of having just a small square in the middle! probably not though.

22. Broojo02 Tuesday 30th Aug 2011 at 12:26

That means that on my 3DS I can play:

The Legend of Zelda
    Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
    The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX
    The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords
    The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
    The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks

Plus Shigeru mentioned he wouldn't mind doing a 3D remake of A Link to the Past, Nintendo also said they might do a Majora's Mask remake if they get enough fan support, there is the possibility of Minish Cap in the final ambassadors' GBA list AND Oracle of Seasons and Ages could be released on the virtual console.

Zelda games we can definitely play on 3DS: 7
    Possible Zelda games we can play: 12

My mind is blown.

23. Sputnik97 Tuesday 30th Aug 2011 at 12:43

I'm confused, do we get all the nes games on September the 1st. Or will they be spead out through the year, like one every Thursday starting from September 1st?

24. Fredgamer2 Tuesday 30th Aug 2011 at 12:45

All these games are making paying full whack for the 3DS almost worth it!

25. Hylian_Grouch Tuesday 30th Aug 2011 at 13:24

shocking that i have only completed two games on that list. cant wait to download them all in a few days...

26. kirby711 Tuesday 30th Aug 2011 at 13:31

Well that is a good list. I'm fine Kirby isn't there, only because I've completed that game.

27. C00LI098 Tuesday 30th Aug 2011 at 14:30

I'm pretty happy with this list. I really hope Pokémon RBYGSC are released some time, though.

28. Zabba 2 Tuesday 30th Aug 2011 at 14:36

Super Mario Bros. - A timeless classic

Donkey Kong Jr - You don't get much gameplay out of it, but it's a good way to kill 15 minutes or so.

Balloon Fight - I've not had a chance to play this, so this is good for me.

Ice Climber - As above

The Legend Of Zelda - Another classic, I got to the last dungeon on my Zelda's Collector's edition copy, so maybe finally I'll finish this.

Wrecking Crew - Never played

Mario Open Golf - I feel the this slot could have gone to something better

Yoshi's Egg - Never played

Metroid - Has not stood the test of time

Zelda II: The Adventure Of Link - Not a fan, but I might give it another chance.

Then again this is for Japan, ours might be different slightly.

29. emperor ing Tuesday 30th Aug 2011 at 14:51

Interesting line-up and a few games I haven't played in there.

30. AR master Tuesday 30th Aug 2011 at 14:56

i havent played these or any other kirby,metroid,donkey kong,kid icarus game and my first zelda (and only) is ocarina 3d

31. allanironmaiden Tuesday 30th Aug 2011 at 15:30

you know what would have been amazing? if half the games announced wernt already available for the past forever on wii VC and therefore have probs already been bought

ill still download though......free stuff and all....but yeah....i'll feel less likely to play zelda 2 and super mario bros since i own them already on different formats

32. triforce-manc Tuesday 30th Aug 2011 at 15:32

I really hope that wrecking Crew and/or golf are replaced over here in the UK, preferably by Kid Icarus (maybe they haven't included that as they are planning to do something with it more nearer release of uprising) and Super Mario Bros. 3 (unless thats being released as one the unnanounced GBA games). Maybe we can dream and get Duck tails :)

All in all though, can't complain, some classic games in there and they are all free! Roll on Thursday!!

33. shy guy 64 Tuesday 30th Aug 2011 at 15:34

looking forward to giving ballon fight a go

34. light_goose Tuesday 30th Aug 2011 at 15:59

They all sound really cool (I say sound because all of these came out before I could even hold a gameboy =P) but what's wreaking crew?

35. Nina-P Tuesday 30th Aug 2011 at 16:24

Except For Super Mario Bros, I haven't Played A Single Game In This List.

36. RubbishGamer Tuesday 30th Aug 2011 at 16:55

Hype-o-meter

Super Mario Bros. - 9/10
    Donkey Kong Jr - 5/10
    Balloon Fight - 8/10
    Ice Climber - 7/10
    The Legend Of Zelda - 9/10
    Wrecking Crew - 8/10
    Mario Open Golf - 9/10
    Yoshi's Egg - 6/10
    Metroid - 9/10
    Zelda II: The Adventure Of Link - 10/0 (universe explodes)

well, maybe not the last one.

37. yoshi1796 Tuesday 30th Aug 2011 at 17:13

September 1st couldn't come sooner. Just two days to go now :D

38. imbusydoctorwho Tuesday 30th Aug 2011 at 17:15

Great list of games,I'm looking forward to Metroid and Zelda,shame there's no Kid Icarus,but hey you can't grumble with 20 free games.

39. lolmeister Tuesday 30th Aug 2011 at 17:19

Definitely a good list. Cant wait for these

40. Phwil Tuesday 30th Aug 2011 at 17:32

JUST A WARNI NG!!!!!!!!!!!! just like the amazing line up announced for the 3DS we are still waiting for most of best games to be release (months on), why does everbody think that Nintendo are suddenly going to make these NES and GBA games available straight away, am I the only person that thinks that they will release 1 of each on 1st September then we'll be waiting till the end of the year for the best ones, probably over Christmas as a sort of Xmas gift from Ninetendo.

41. MrLeechkid Tuesday 30th Aug 2011 at 18:36

If this list was to be the same for the UK, I'd be pretty satisfied. Although the GBA games are what I am looking most forward to. I can't wait.

42. Dertdood Tuesday 30th Aug 2011 at 19:41

I already own Metroid :/

43. link982 Tuesday 30th Aug 2011 at 20:34

hnnnghhh

44. retrotoad Wednesday 31st Aug 2011 at 00:21

Yoshi's Egg is known as "Mario and Yoshi" in Europe and just "Yoshi" in America. Still don't know it? Well... It was released originally on the Gameboy and later ported to NES. It's a puzzle game in which the aim is to trap falling enemies (Tetris style) in the bottom and top half of an egg shell (rather like two halves of a burger bun and what's in the middle). The answer to your question of "so how come Nintendo made NES games when the SNES was already out?". It wasn't a new game, just a port. Hope I helped :)

45. 72HoursRemain Wednesday 31st Aug 2011 at 02:33

Two Zelda games! That's fantastic! And I know that we'll get the rest of the 2D games in the eShop at some time (maybe even A Link to the Past as a 3D classic! Hopefully) And if they do remake Majora's Mask (PLEEEEASE YES) that means that nearly the entire series will be able to be played on one system! This would make me a very happy Zelda fangirl, and it'd make that 250 dollars completely worth it.

46. Natata Wednesday 31st Aug 2011 at 08:04

just when i thought the line up couldn't get any better (zelda 1 amazing) they announce zelda 2 plus four swords in the same month nintendo is amazing!!! :)

47. Everegreen Wednesday 31st Aug 2011 at 11:28

I'm not too gutted to be honest. The only games I'd play that much I've got in some way or another (Super Mario Bros., Zelda). This isn't counting the Game Boy Games though.

48. cheatmaster30 Wednesday 31st Aug 2011 at 12:48

Most of the list is pretty good, but why the hell did they pick Wrecking Crew, Golf and Mario and Yoshi? Did anyone at all want these games?

I guess the inclusion of Zelda 1 and 2, Metroid and Super Mario Bros makes up for it though.

49. retrotoad Wednesday 31st Aug 2011 at 13:06

It's an action/puzzle Mario game, in which you break certain objects with a hammer and blow up walls with bombs. There's plenty of levels (like 100, I think). It was an early NES game, and fairly decent by all accounts, if you like the action/puzzle genre. Hope that cleared it up a bit :)

50. MDigi Thursday 1st Sep 2011 at 08:14

Looking forward to Zelda already, Zelda II is a sweet cherry to top it. It's Sept 1st and there's nothing online on my 3DS yet not even a news update :?:

51. thenintendoer Friday 2nd Sep 2011 at 14:40

But seeing as its on the 3DS now you can now play it IN THE BATHROOM!